Successful Applicants Stats - Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel incredibly blessed to post here alongside all of you amazing people!

22 year old female-AZ resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
WSU, CSU, UC Davis, Oregon, Iowa, Penn, Purdue
Interview Invites: UC Davis, WSU
Rejected: CSU, Penn, Purdue
Waitlisted: Oregon, UC Davis
Accepted: WSU, Iowa State (w/ 4 yr scholarship)
Attending: Iowa State :biglove:

Undergrad: Major in Veterinary Science, Minor in Biochemistry
cGPA: 3.37
SciGPA: 3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.6

GRE (Q/V/W): 152 / 158 / 5.0

Veterinary Experience:

4000 hours- Small Animal Emergency/Specialty Veterinary Assistant
600 hours- General Practice Small Animal Kennel Tech/Veterinary Assistant
40 hours- Equine General Practice and Surgery
160 hours- Wildlife Veterinary Volunteer on South-African Veterinary Expedition
40 hours- Large Animal/Equine Practice
40 hours- Bovine dystocia assistant and preg checks under veterinarian supervision
20 hours-Volunteer Veterinary Mission Trip in Mexico
10 hours- Spay/Neuter Marathon Post-Op Recovery Tech
50 hours- Veterinary Camp that included large animal AI, vaccinations, surgical experience, and veterinary skills labs
240 hours - Veterinary Assisting Program

Research Experience:
25 hours- assisting with tissue collection, lab analysis, and care of ovine specimens for research involving embryonic pancreas development and response to heat stress

Animal Experience:
8200 hours- Western Horsemanship lessons and competitions, as well as care for my own horses
700 hours- Western Horsemanship Riding Instructor using my personal horse
60 hours- Raising 3 orphaned piglets including bottle feeding, castration, and veterinary care
20 hours- Wildlife care volunteer at Wildlife Rehabilitation
20 hours- Equine Therapeutic Ranch volunteer
20 hours- Horse rescue volunteer
10 hours- Bovine heart dissection teaching assistant
10 hours- Night-shift farrowing assistant
10 hours- Sow AI breeding assistant
60 hours- FFA State Livestock Evaluation Competitor
380 hours- FFA State/National Horse Evaluation Competitor
900 hours- FFA State/National Veterinary Science Competitor

eLORS:
SA Emergency Vet
Large Animal Vet/Professor
Anatomy and Physiology Professor (Also a DVM)
Veterinary Assisting Program Teacher

Honors:
1st in the Nation at National FFA Veterinary Science Competition
1st in State at AZ FFA Veterinary Science Competition for 3 consecutive years
3rd in State at AZ FFA Horse Evaluation Competition
2nd High Placing Individual at High School State Mock Trial Competition
AZ State FFA Degree
UA Excellence Scholarship
Hope I. Jones Veterinary Scholarship
National FFA Zoetis Veterinary Scholarship
Dean's List for multiple semesters
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Outstanding Senior in Veterinary Science

Extracurriculars/Volunteering:
High School FFA President/VP/Treasurer
Pre-Veterinary Club Member
Arizona Global Health Project Member and Veterinary Service Trip Leader
Science Camp/Children's Museum Veterinary Volunteer
High School FFA Veterinary Science Alumni Coach
Arizona State Veterinary FFA Veterinary Science Student Chair and Event Coordinator

Area of Interest:
Rural Mixed Practice

Personal Statement:
During my first few years of undergrad I worked full-time at a small animal ER on night shifts and thought I would be able to balance it with my full course load. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those badass multi-taskers who can be amazing and totally handle it, so my grades started to suffer because of it. I re-evaluated after my junior year and decided to cut my hours and focus on my academics (a little late to make that decision lol). With my GPA, I wasn't sure I would have a fighting chance this cycle. I had put all my focus on being a veterinary assistant at this amazing practice, all the while thinking it would make me a stellar applicant. While I do believe it made me stand out to a few schools, I would absolutely 100% recommend prioritizing academics over a boatload of experience! I'm eternally grateful for the skills and medicine I've learned at the clinic, but the road getting to where I am would've been less bumpy if I put more energy into school than experience haha!

Anyways, my personal statements brought in many aspects of my lifelong journey toward becoming a veterinarian. I spoke about the resilience needed to be an ER tech, and the compassion needed when working with animal owners in different countries and cultures. My main focus was on the importance of One Health and the human-animal interface, and I reinforced this with experiences I had as a veterinary volunteer in South Africa and Mexico. Overall, I explained that through thick and thin, my desire to be a veterinarian has never faltered and I want to spend my life serving animals and the people who depend on them.

Thank you all for helping me throughout this process, it is incredibly comforting and inspiring to read your stories and I can't wait to have you all as peers someday! Pre-vets are a special group of people <3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Anyone accepted have any tattoos? I got a leg sleeve during undergrad when I was experiencing some intense anxiety- and now that I have felt with it I am starting to regret the decision a little. I got off the waitlist at NCSU and was accepted. I’m just a little concern about going to class and wearing shorts and such- I don’t want people to focus on the tattoo. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you!

Anyone accepted have any tattoos? I got a leg sleeve during undergrad when I was experiencing some intense anxiety- and now that I have felt with it I am starting to regret the decision a little. I got off the waitlist at NCSU and was accepted. I’m just a little concern about going to class and wearing shorts and such- I don’t want people to focus on the tattoo. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you!
I have a foot tattoo, so not totally relatable. But I don’t think it will be a problem because when you will be in a professional setting you will be wearing pants and closed toed shoes. It shouldn’t be an issue. Congrats and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@singhb09 has many tattoo and is currently a vet student.
Don’t get yourself all worked up about what people might think. It’s not their body, it doesn’t matter what they think. I can almost guarantee though there will be a lot of people who won’t care if you have a bunch of tattoos.

Reactions: 3 users

I have paw prints tattooed behind my ear, a German phrase on the inside of my left arm and a rib cage tattoo. Would I ever get more tattoos? Absolutely! I've never once felt unprofessional due to my tattoos and 2 of my are easily visible during work every day

I'm a current fourth year at NCSU and have three tattoos- two large shin pieces (a dragon and a koi fish), as well as some kanji on one of my biceps. In the pre-clinical years, folks could care less. I wore shorts all the time. For fourth year, there's a dress code enforced for both the SA and LA hospitals. Shorts of any kind aren't allowed in either, so leg pieces are a non-issue. A few of my acquaintances have pieces on their forearms, and I don't believe that the school raised any issue with it. My arm piece isn't visible under short sleeves (like a polo), so clients never saw it. As long as the art is tasteful, I don't think you'll run into problems.

21 year old male AZ resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
WSU, CSU, Oregon, Mizzou, Ohio
Interview Invites: none
Rejected: CSU, wsu, Mizzou, ohio
Waitlisted: Oregon
Accepted: Oregon
Attending: Oregon

Undergrad: Major in Veterinary Science, Minor in Spanish
cGPA: 3.45
SciGPA: ~3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.92

GRE (Q/V/W): 155 / 159 / 4.5

Veterinary Experience:

200 hours VIDA neuter/spay clinics
60 hours shadowing at emergency clinic
100 hours shadowing at GP
40 hours dystocia/preg testing experience
20 hours horse blood draws, injections, handling
Animal Experience:
100 hours volunteering at dog adoption events
150 hours rodent necropsies, cardiocentesis, handling

eLORS:
SA GP vet
Professor I've done vet work with
Supervisor

Honors:
A few scholarships
IB diploma
A few FFA awards
A few Dean's gpa awards during college

Volunteering for community theater
Other misc stuff
Leadership:
President of VIDA club
Area of Interest:
Emergency medicine
Personal Statement:
Talked about how my experiences with VIDA and the emergency clinic have shaped my interests.

Reactions: 4 users
21 year old male AZ resident, 1st time applicant

Applied:
WSU, CSU, Oregon, Mizzou, Ohio
Interview Invites: none
Rejected: CSU, wsu, Mizzou, ohio
Waitlisted: Oregon
Accepted: Oregon
Attending: Oregon

Undergrad: Major in Veterinary Science, Minor in Spanish
cGPA: 3.45
SciGPA: ~3.5
Last 45 GPA: 3.92

GRE (Q/V/W): 155 / 159 / 4.5

Veterinary Experience:

200 hours VIDA neuter/spay clinics
60 hours shadowing at emergency clinic
100 hours shadowing at GP
40 hours dystocia/preg testing experience
20 hours horse blood draws, injections, handling
Animal Experience:
100 hours volunteering at dog adoption events
150 hours rodent necropsies, cardiocentesis, handling

eLORS:
SA GP vet
Professor I've done vet work with
Supervisor

Honors:
A few scholarships
IB diploma
A few FFA awards
A few Dean's gpa awards during college

Volunteering for community theater
Other misc stuff
Leadership:
President of VIDA club
Area of Interest:
Emergency medicine
Personal Statement:
Talked about how my experiences with VIDA and the emergency clinic have shaped my interests.
Seeing that you're from AZ and have an IB diploma makes me seriously wonder if we attended the same high school at some point. :thinking:

**LOW GPA ALERT – hope for others**

26 yr old female, Kentucky resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied:
Auburn, Georgia, Mizzou, Purdue
Interview Invites: Auburn, Purdue
Rejected: Auburn, Georgia, Mizzou
Waitlisted: Purdue
Accepted: Purdue!!! I was called off April 16!
Attending: Purdue – my dream school!

Overall GPA: 3.19
Science GPA: 3.23
Last 45 GPA: 3.3

GRE (Q/V/W): 154/154/6

Degree:
BS Cellular Biology and Physiology (May 2017)

Veterinary Experience
Veterinary Technician in General Practice: 2500 hrs
Veterinary Technician in ER: 400 hrs (just started the job at the time)
Shadowed Equine Vet: 60 hrs

Animal Experience
Pet Owner: Entire Life
Volunteered Humane Society: 200 hrs
Pet Sitter: 2 weeks each summer last 5 years

Research
None

Extracurriculars/Awards
Dean’s Least first year of college

Non-Animal Employment
Coffee Shop Supervisor and other miscellaneous customer service employment

LORs
General Practice Vet
General Practice Admin
ER Veterinarian
Animal Behavior Professor
Microbiology Professor

Essay Questions/Personal Statement
I explained my unique situation (took me 6 years to complete my undergrad for a reason!), I wrote as much as I could in the little space provided about how my experience and dedication outweighs my not-so-competitive GPA – and it got me an interview, which then led me to eventually being accepted into my dream school!!

Reactions: 10 users
*LOW GPA ALERT....IT CAN BE DONE!*

23 year old Female, Ohio resident, 2nd time applicant (first time only applied to Ohio State and did not get an interview)

Applied:
Ohio, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Georgia, Penn, LMU, Michigan, Virginia, Auburn, Colorado, North Carolina, Missouri, Minnesota, Florida, Tennessee (I dont recommend applying to this many, I was desperate)
Rejected: LOL all but the two I got interview invites to
Interview Invites: Michigan, LMU
Waiting to hear: LMU (waitlisted)
Accepted: MICHIGAN STATE
Attending: MICHIGAN STATEEEEE!!!!!

Overall GPA: 3.25
Science GPA: 3.12
Last 45 GPA: 3.64

GRE (Q/V/W): 150/152/4.5

Degree:
BA Biochemistry 2016, MPH Environmental Health 2018

Veterinary Experience
Laboratory Animal Medicine Service intern: 120 hours
Large Animal Shadow: 18 hours
Small Animal Shadow: ~110 hours
(I messed up here and didn't put all of my hours, I have some vet hours from the animal shelter I worked at but didn't record the dates so I didn't include them.....my mistake, LIST EVERYTHING)

Animal Experience
Endocrine Lab volunteer Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens: 125 hours
ICARE Volunteer Animal Adoption Foundation: 333 hours
Student Shadow CZBG: 10 hours
Kennel Staff Animal Adoption Foundation: 600 hours
Senior Intern Animal Adoption Foundation: 630 hours
Intern Must Love Mutts Animal Adoption Foundation: 450 hours

Research
Research Associate on a project evaluating carnosine as a treatment for Parkinson's Disease: 40 hours at time of application, much more now

Extracurriculars/Awards
Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority, served as Scholarship chair
Collegiate Cheerleader, served as co-captain
Tri Beta Biology club
ACS chemistry club
Concert Band
Alpha Delta Lambda Honors Society
Academic based scholarhsips

Non-Animal Employment
Pharmacy Technician for almost 2 years now
Target for six months
Kitchen staff in sorority
Office Assistant at the Career Center

LORs
2 Laboratory Veterinarians
PI for Research Project
Animal Shelter Director

Wrote about using my Public Health experience to pursue either research or government agency positions to contribute to the One health initiative for a healthier society.

Reactions: 7 users
Wow I had no clue that Penn offered these crazy scholarships. There are two on this thread (including a full ride...omg) and Penn matched a tuition offer for a vet school applicant I know in person. I sort of discounted Penn right away because of their tuition but if I'd known this, I would have gone to their interview :bag: (not about to look a gift horse in the mouth though). I'm hoping future vet school applicants read this thread and find out about this Penn policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
24 year old female-TX resident, 2nd time applicant ( 1st time: got rejected at A&M)

Applied: Texas A&M, WSU, Michigan State, Penn, Purdue, NCSU, Cornell, Virginia-Maryland

Interview Invites: Texas A&M, WSU, Michigan State, Purdue

Rejected: Penn, NCSU, Cornell, Virginia-Maryland

Waitlisted: Purdue, WSU

Accepted: Texas A&M, Michigan State

Attending: Texas A&M!!

When I first started college I was unable to attend a 4yr university so I had to start at a community college then transferred. Everyone told me that because it wasn’t rigorous enough that it would actually hinder my application.

BS in Animal Science, 2015

cGPA: 3.51

SciGPA: 3.43

Last 45 GPA: 3.6something

GRE (Q/V/W): 148 / 149 / 5.0 (I am bad at timed standardized testing )

Veterinary Experience:

600 hours- Small Animal ER Veterinary technician at an emergency and specialty clinic.

3000 hours- Veterinary Assistant at a small animal GP

30 hours- shadowing an equine vet

100 hours- lab animal surgeries including primates, canine, and pigs

40 hours- Assisting low income community veterinarians in MX

Vetward Bound Enrichment Summer Program at Michigan State University

Research Experience:

3500 hours- Research Assistant/Lab Supervisor at a Neurology lab doing molecular biology techniques– Presented this research at a conference

350 hours- Intern/Research Assistant at the USDA Agricultural Research Services Environmental and microbial safety lab. Did a lot of cell culture, microbiology techniques, food safety studies, and food sensory panel.

Attended various symposiums and seminars

Animal Experience:

200 hours- lab animals including rodents and primates

200 hours- Kennel Technician

500 hours- Fostering neonates

Non-animal Employment:

5 years: Master Technician Assistant/ Secretary at an automotive shop

12 years: Sales associate and 7 years of supervisor (yes I started working very early)

Hostess at a children’s party place

Hostess at Applebees's

eLORS:

SA GP Vet

Current PI

Post-doc who I work with

Honors:

College of Agriculture Most Outstanding Senior in Pre-Veterinary Medicine

Various scholarships throughout college

Received 5 travel scholarships to attend conferences

Chosen to have lunch with the Chancellor of my Community College

Extracurricular/Volunteering:

Biology/ Chemistry and Mathematics Tutor

Pre-Veterinary Club Member and Secretary

Baptist Student Ministry-President (over 800 hours of volunteering put in due to doing A LOT for the community which I enjoyed)

Sunday School Teacher and Assistant Director

Hip-Hop Dance Club Member

Mission Trip to Oaxaca, MX

Volunteered at the Neurology ICU in a human hospital

Community outreach in Mexico to bring awareness to spay and neuter

Campaign calling agent for a district representative

CFFA member

MANRRS member

Agricultural Ambassador for the department

Intramural Soccer Co-Captain

Women in Science Development, Outreach, and Mentorship member

Neuroscience Journal Club member

SACNAS member

I may be missing some...

Personal Statement:

As you know this journey is never easy. Being first college graduate with no direction I made so many mistakes in classes and misconceptions about college but I found the most amazing mentors on the way. I talked about growing up in Mexico as a child but the circumstances there were difficult to get ahead and made the decision to come to America to study and as the oldest child I had to help my family get ahead. I have always worked so much of my experience was non animal related, so one of the benefits to doing every single small job I could was that I know what I don’t want to do.

Reactions: 6 users
24 year old female-TX resident, 2nd time applicant ( 1st time: got rejected at A&M)

Applied: Texas A&M, WSU, Michigan State, Penn, Purdue, NCSU, Cornell, Virginia-Maryland

Interview Invites: Texas A&M, WSU, Michigan State, Purdue

Rejected: Penn, NCSU, Cornell, Virginia-Maryland

Waitlisted: Purdue, WSU

Accepted: Texas A&M, Michigan State

Attending: Texas A&M!!

When I first started college I was unable to attend a 4yr university so I had to start at a community college then transferred. Everyone told me that because it wasn’t rigorous enough that it would actually hinder my application.

BS in Animal Science, 2015

cGPA: 3.51

SciGPA: 3.43

Last 45 GPA: 3.6something

GRE (Q/V/W): 148 / 149 / 5.0 (I am bad at timed standardized testing )

Veterinary Experience:

600 hours- Small Animal ER Veterinary technician at an emergency and specialty clinic.

3000 hours- Veterinary Assistant at a small animal GP

30 hours- shadowing an equine vet

100 hours- lab animal surgeries including primates, canine, and pigs

40 hours- Assisting low income community veterinarians in MX

Vetward Bound Enrichment Summer Program at Michigan State University

Research Experience:

3500 hours- Research Assistant/Lab Supervisor at a Neurology lab doing molecular biology techniques– Presented this research at a conference

350 hours- Intern/Research Assistant at the USDA Agricultural Research Services Environmental and microbial safety lab. Did a lot of cell culture, microbiology techniques, food safety studies, and food sensory panel.

Attended various symposiums and seminars

Animal Experience:

200 hours- lab animals including rodents and primates

200 hours- Kennel Technician

500 hours- Fostering neonates

Non-animal Employment:

5 years: Master Technician Assistant/ Secretary at an automotive shop

12 years: Sales associate and 7 years of supervisor (yes I started working very early)

Hostess at a children’s party place

Hostess at Applebees's

eLORS:

SA GP Vet

Current PI

Post-doc who I work with

Honors:

College of Agriculture Most Outstanding Senior in Pre-Veterinary Medicine

Various scholarships throughout college

Received 5 travel scholarships to attend conferences

Chosen to have lunch with the Chancellor of my Community College

Extracurricular/Volunteering:

Biology/ Chemistry and Mathematics Tutor

Pre-Veterinary Club Member and Secretary

Baptist Student Ministry-President (over 800 hours of volunteering put in due to doing A LOT for the community which I enjoyed)

Sunday School Teacher and Assistant Director

Hip-Hop Dance Club Member

Mission Trip to Oaxaca, MX

Volunteered at the Neurology ICU in a human hospital

Community outreach in Mexico to bring awareness to spay and neuter

Campaign calling agent for a district representative

CFFA member

MANRRS member

Agricultural Ambassador for the department

Intramural Soccer Co-Captain

Women in Science Development, Outreach, and Mentorship member

Neuroscience Journal Club member

SACNAS member

I may be missing some...

Personal Statement:

As you know this journey is never easy. Being first college graduate with no direction I made so many mistakes in classes and misconceptions about college but I found the most amazing mentors on the way. I talked about growing up in Mexico as a child but the circumstances there were difficult to get ahead and made the decision to come to America to study and as the oldest child I had to help my family get ahead. I have always worked so much of my experience was non animal related, so one of the benefits to doing every single small job I could was that I know what I don’t want to do.
GIG EM!!

Reactions: 2 users
Updating to reflect changes!!!
20 year old female, Michigan resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Mizzou, LMU, VAMD, Tufts, Colorado State

Interview Invites: Michigan State, Illinois (Declined Interview), Purdue (Declined Interview), Mizzou, LMU, Colorado State

Rejections: Tufts, VAMD

Waitlisted: Colorado State

Accepted: Michigan State, Mizzou, LMU

Attending: Michigan State---GO GREEN!!

Overall GPA: 3.79

Science GPA: 3.72

Last 45 GPA: 3.86

GRE (Q/V/W): 149 /153 /4.5

Degree: BS Biology, Pre-Veterinary Emphasis and Minor in Religious Studies (April 2018)

Veterinary Experience

Veterinary Assistant at Emergency Hospital: 1350 hours

Shadowed SA General practice: 55 hours

Shadowed Mixed Animal General practice: 140 hours

Shadowed wildlife veterinarian: 49 hours

Shadowed zoo veterinarian: 30 hours

Animal Experience

Wildlife Rehabilitation Internship: 280 hours

Animal Sanctuary Volunteer: 3 hours

Research

Lab animal care and collection of data on sugar glider patagiums, 376 hours

Identification of parasites in rhesus macaque feces, 60 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards

AVMA Convention Attendee

APVMA National Treasurer

Pre-Vet Club throughout undergrad

Pre-Vet Club Treasurer

Pre-Professional Council Member

Pre-Professional Council Secretary

Various leadership and conference attendees for a youth group in high school, including founder of an entrepreneurship program

APVMA Symposium Attendee

Michigan Veterinary Conference Attendee

Midwest APVMA Symposium Attendee

Midwest American Academy of Religion Conference Attendee

Member of Campus’ Hillel

Various volunteering

Student Scholar’s Day Presenter on Sugar Glider Research

Presented Paper on Snake Handling at Midwest American Academy of Religion Conference

Publication of Snake Handling Paper in school’s Scholarworks

Various awards in high school

Various honors society memberships

Biology scholarship and university scholarships

Dean's List/Academic Honors 6/6 semesters

Non-Animal Employment

Worked as a file clerk for 2 years

Worked as a waitress for 2 years

LORs

Small animal vet

Religious studies professor

Advisor

Research mentor/Cell and Molecular professor

Emergency veterinarian

Director of wildlife rehabilitation

I wrote about pursuing a career in emergency medicine due to an experience with my own dog at an emergency hospital. I also wrote about how I liked how fast-paced and challenging the area was, and coming in contact with people of many different backgrounds. I spoke about the importance of One Health and how the opportunities to contribute to society in vet med are limitless. I also wrote about empathy and communication skills and their importance in the field.

Reactions: 1 users
Like like like a million times

22 yr old female, Michigan resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Colorado State, Iowa State, Michigan State, and Midwestern
Interview Invites: Colorado State (declined offer), Michigan State, and Midwestern
Waiting to hear: waitlisted at Iowa State
Accepted: Iowa State, Michigan State, and Midwestern

Attending: Michigan State !!!

Overall GPA: 3.52
Science GPA: 3.57
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

GRE (Q/V/W): 154 /151 / 4.5

Degree: BS Animal Science, Minor in Biotechnology (May 2017)

Veterinary Experience
- Worked with a LA vet performing AI, ET, pregnancy checks, etc: 432 hrs
- Summer internship at SA hospital: 384 hrs
- Shadowing at SA hospitals: 288
- Veterinary assistant at SA/exotics practice: 55 hrs

Animal Experience
- Study Abroad in South Africa, animal systems in international development (primarily focusing on production and policy): 50 hrs
- Lambing Assistant at organic sheep farm: 49 hrs

Research
  • Contributed to a research study deciphering the relationship between hormone dosage and maximal response in super-ovulation; seeking to establish the optimal hormone (FSH) dose for ART protocols using cattle as a model: 280 hrs
  • Examined the practicality of utilizing a new ultrasound technology for the detection of follicular growth patterns in cattle: 20 hrs
  • Studied the efficacy of utilizing Anti- Mullerian hormone (AMH) concentration in the blood as a fertility indicator in cattle: 40 hrs
  • Designed and executed my own experiment to decipher the threshold at which proteins can be detected in bovine cumulus cells using membrane probing and Western blot protocols: 10 hrs
  • Worked under a post-doc over the summer performing Western Blot tests in order to analyze protein compilation of specific oocyte or granulosa cell samples. Performed protein quantification by DC Assay Kit in order to determine protein concentrations in samples: 209 hrs

Extracurriculars
  • Varsity Cross Country: 1180 hrs
  • Varsity Track and Field: 900 hrs
  • Outdoors Club: 35 hrs
  • Animal Science Undergraduate Research Association: 35 hrs

Volunteer Experience
  • American Red Cross Club Event Coordinator; held a leadership position as secretary; staffed blood drives around campus and the community; organized Holiday Mail for Heroes, a charity that welcomes students to mail veterans Christmas cards thanking them for their service; arranged Scrubby Bear events at preschools to teach children about proper hygiene; prepared disaster relief care kits for household fires and floods: 314 hrs
  • Eucharistic Minister taking communion to hospitalized and homebound elderly: 170 hrs

Awards
Outstanding Service Award (2017) - American Red Cross
Exceptional Leader Award (2015) - American Red Cross
Big Ten Champions, Track and Field (2015) - Big Ten Conference
Academic All-Big Ten Selection (2014) - Big Ten Conference
Big Ten Champions, Cross Country (2013) - Big Ten Conference
Big Ten Champions, Cross Country (2014) - Big Ten Conference
National Champions, Cross Country (2014) - NCAA
Spring Academic All-Big Ten Selection 2015) - Big Ten Conference
Michigan State Dean’s List - 3 semesters
AP Scholar with Distinction (2013) - CollegeBoard AP Program
Scholastic Art Award Nominee (2012) - Scholastic Art Competition
AP Scholar (2012) - CollegeBoard AP Program

Non-Animal Employment
Biological Sample Courier: 168 hrs

LORs
Small Animal DVM
Large Animal DVM/PhD
Owner of the Sheep Farm I worked at
Professor
Coach

Utilized every character in the explanation statement to give a background on the experiences I struggled with (yet overcame) throughout high school and undergrad - had a tough home life and many family/health issues that squandered the amount of time I could dedicate to academics. In the three required essays I primarily wrote about focusing in large animal medicine and plans to continue post-doc into a residency program to receive board certification in veterinary theriogenology. Placed an emphasis on the importance of balance in life/career priorities and how it is healthy to use knowledge/wisdom you gain from non-veterinary experiences to interact with colleagues and clients better.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm super excited to be able to post here after months of stalking different threads (and some users, sorry ;))

22 year old female, PA resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: University of Pennsylvania, The Ohio State University, Purdue University, VA-MD
Interview Invites: Penn, Purdue
Rejected: OSU, VA-MD
Waitlisted: Purdue
Accepted: Penn!
Attending: Penn!!

Overall GPA: 3.70
Science GPA: 3.60
Last 45 GPA: ~3.68

GRE (Q/V/W): 161/162/5.0

Degree: B.S. in Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences, May 2018 from Penn State

Veterinary Experience
~1200 hours - veterinary assistant at mixed animal hospital (mostly companion animal)
65 hours - veterinary assistant at specialty physical therapy vet
40 hours - surgical assistant at animal shelter (mostly S/N)

Animal Experience
600 hours - medical staff at animal shelter
125 hours - animal care volunteer at animal shelter
25 hours - hands-on lab participation in Pre-Vet Club

Research
400 hours - senior thesis in feedlot nutrition, working with cannulated steers

Extracurriculars/Awards
Pre-Vet Club - treasurer, symposium chair
Honors college orientation program - executive chair
College of Science learning assistant
Dean's list each semester
Various scholarships and grants

Non-Animal Employment
Internship at a plastics engineering firm
Intramural referee at university

LORs
Small animal vet at mixed animal hospital
Small animal vet at animal shelter
Thesis supervisor (who also taught one of my courses)
Director of Operations at animal shelter
Faculty adviser honors orientation program

I don't think I said anything really earth-shattering in these questions, and I do wonder if that hurt me. I talked a decent amount about how I had started out college as an engineering major and how I feel that the critical thinking/interpersonal skills I learned in that major were beneficial to the veterinary field as well. I added specific examples from each of my jobs/extracurricular activities to illustrate my points.

Wow I had no clue that Penn offered these crazy scholarships. There are two on this thread (including a full ride...omg) and Penn matched a tuition offer for a vet school applicant I know in person. I sort of discounted Penn right away because of their tuition but if I'd known this, I would have gone to their interview :bag: (not about to look a gift horse in the mouth though). I'm hoping future vet school applicants read this thread and find out about this Penn policy.

Penn is VERY good at giving financial aid, especially IS...the "sticker" price is very scary. They certainly aren't afraid to throw money at applicants they really want. I will say that the scholarship that I got was extremely competitive and has very HIGH expectations.

Penn is VERY good at giving financial aid, especially IS...the "sticker" price is very scary. They certainly aren't afraid to throw money at applicants they really want. I will say that the scholarship that I got was extremely competitive and has very HIGH expectations.

Do you know if they offer the food animal scholarship (I think it's called the Commonwealth One Health Scholarship) to non-residents? I went to school with a couple of the past recipients and they are all from Pennsylvania.

Do you know if they offer the food animal scholarship (I think it's called the Commonwealth One Health Scholarship) to non-residents? I went to school with a couple of the past recipients and they are all from Pennsylvania.
No, it’s a PA resident scholarship.

No, it’s a PA resident scholarship.

Its not actually limited to PA residents anymore.

There is currently a 10k tuition subsidy for IS residents at Penn. Outside of that, I wouldn't say that IS is given much more financial aid than OOS students. There are a limited number of recruitment scholarships that are handed out each year. Although these can go to both IS and OOS, traditionally they are given more to OOS students so that they have a financial incentive to pick Penn.

Its not actually limited to PA residents anymore.

There is currently a 10k tuition subsidy for IS residents at Penn. Outside of that, I wouldn't say that IS is given much more financial aid than OOS students. There are a limited number of recruitment scholarships that are handed out each year. Although these can go to both IS and OOS, traditionally they are given more to OOS students so that they have a financial incentive to pick Penn.
My bad, I thought it was PA people only!

I CANNOT believe I get to post here!!!!

22 year old female, NY resident, 1st time applicant

Applied: Washington State, Michigan State, Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, Midwestern, Wisconsin, University of Florida
Interview Invites: Michigan, Midwestern, Tufts
Rejected: Washington, Cornell, UPenn, Wisconsin, UF
Waitlisted: Tufts, Michigan
Accepted: Midwestern
Attending: Midwestern!

Overall GPA: 3.39
Science GPA: 3.19
Last 45 GPA: 3.53

GRE (Q/V/W): 156/156/4.0

Degree: B.A. in Anthropology CUNY Queens College

Veterinary Experience
~500 hours in small animal practice

Animal Experience
~6000+ hours as a dog walker, dog handler, operational supervisor at a doggy daycare
~30 hours as a side-walker for a therapeutic riding program with horses

Research
None

Extracurriculars/Awards
Junior award in Anthropology
Honors in Anthropology
Treasurer one year/member for 3 years in Circle K (a community service club)
Club member in PRISM (a gay-straight alliance)
Dean's list 5 semesters

Non-Animal Employment
None

LORs
My boss from the doggy daycare
My organic chemistry lab instructor
My microbiology professor
The owner/one of the veterinarians at the small animal practice

In various essays I would mention what it was like living in NYC, how the long commutes would affect the time I could dedicate to school, how I learned to balance a full-time job while in school full-time and how that may explain my lower GPA, how during my second-to-last semester my cousin attempted suicide and was in a coma and then two weeks later my close friend died and how that impacted me. I also talked about how being a lesbian shapes my outlook on life, how it has impacted me, how I am a very accepting person, and how being gay and living in NYC has made me really appreciate diversity.

19 yr old, Female, AZ resident, 1st time applicant

Applied
: MWU-Glendale, Ross
Interview Invites: MWU, Ross
Wait-listed: MWU
Accepted: Ross
Attending: TBD

Overall GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.88
Last 45 GPA: 3.95

GRE (Q/V/W): 150/155/5

Degree: None! Was working on B.S. Biology minoring in Chemistry.

Veterinary Experience (~8000 hrs)
- 1500 hours vet tech at an AAHA accredited small animal ER/specialty hospital (and counting.)
- 5000 hours CSR/vet asst./vet tech at an AAHA accredited small animal/exotic/wildlife hospital.
- 1000 hours managing vet tech at a mobile, low-cost small/large animal/exotic veterinary clinic (and counting.)
- 330 hours intern at local humane society (community reach out, animal experience, veterinary experience, etc.)
- 240 hours CSR/vet tech at small animal clinic

Animal Experience (~5000 hrs)
- Volunteer for local Humane Society

Extracurricular:
- Hair and Makeup Board Position for my HS Theatre Department for 3 years (~1000hrs)
- Committee member for local SHOW organization

Research:
- None

Non-Animal Employment:
- None

Honors and Awards:
- All attending semesters on Dean's List
- National Honor Society
- President's Volunteer Service Award
- U.S. House of Representatives Award
- Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition
- Heart of: Outstanding Young Leader Award

LOR:
- GP/ER/Exotic Veterinarian/practice owner worked for 3yrs
- GP Senior/Lead Veterinarian worked for <1yr
- GP/ER/Academic Veterinarian worked for 3yrs
- College Biology Prof
- College Environmental Science Prof
- Humane Society volunteer coordinator

I mainly talked about wanting to branch the divide in communication between veterinary professionals and clients; and how experience in shelter medicine has prepared me for a variety of clients. I stressed the importance of my interested in research, shelter medicine, and general desire to continue giving back to my community!

Update:

Accepted: Ross, Midwestern
Attending: Midwestern!!

23 yr old female, Illinois resident, 3rd time applicant

Applied:
Cornell, Illinois, Missouri, Ross
Interview Invites: Illinois, Missouri, Ross
Waiting to Hear: N/A
Rejected: Cornell
Waitlisted: N/A
Accepted: Missouri, Illinois, Ross
Attending: Missouri!!

Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.4
Last 45 GPA: 3.8

GRE (Q/V/W):
148/149/3.5

Degree:
BS in Biology (2017) MPS in Veterinary Parasitology (Summer 2018)

Veterinary Experience:

1) Large animal ambulatory: 50 hrs
2) Small animal general practice: 140 hrs
3) Zoo: 5 hrs
4) Equine clinic: 90 hrs
5) Wildlife rehab: 60 hrs
6) Small animal ER clinic (6 years): 3700

Animal Experience:
1) Alpaca farm: 93 hrs
2) Petting zoo worker: 40 hrs
3) Herpetology TA: 96 hrs

Research:

1) Research undergraduate assistant: 48 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:

1) Pre-Veterinary Club president
2) Cum laude undergrad graduation
3) Happy earth ambassador
4) Published author

Non-Animal Employment:

1) Museum worker: 70 hrs
2) Catering manager: 4000 hrs

Non-Animal Volunteer:
1) N/A

LORs:
1) Veterinarian/Owner of ER clinic
2) Herpetology prof.
3) Research prof.

23 yr old female, Illinois resident, 3rd time applicant

Applied:
Cornell, Illinois, Missouri, Ross
Interview Invites: Illinois, Missouri, Ross
Waiting to Hear: N/A
Rejected: Cornell
Waitlisted: N/A
Accepted: Missouri, Illinois, Ross
Attending: Missouri!!

Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 3.4
Last 45 GPA: 3.8

GRE (Q/V/W):
148/149/3.5

Degree:
BS in Biology (2017) MPS in Veterinary Parasitology (Summer 2018)

Veterinary Experience:

1) Large animal ambulatory: 50 hrs
2) Small animal general practice: 140 hrs
3) Zoo: 5 hrs
4) Equine clinic: 90 hrs
5) Wildlife rehab: 60 hrs
6) Small animal ER clinic (6 years): 3700

Animal Experience:
1) Alpaca farm: 93 hrs
2) Petting zoo worker: 40 hrs
3) Herpetology TA: 96 hrs

Research:

1) Research undergraduate assistant: 48 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:

1) Pre-Veterinary Club president
2) Cum laude undergrad graduation
3) Happy earth ambassador
4) Published author

Non-Animal Employment:

1) Museum worker: 70 hrs
2) Catering manager: 4000 hrs

Non-Animal Volunteer:
1) N/A

LORs:
1) Veterinarian/Owner of ER clinic
2) Herpetology prof.
3) Research prof.
Congrats! Do you mind if I ask why you didn’t accept the offer from your in state? Just curious!

Congrats! Do you mind if I ask why you didn’t accept the offer from your in state? Just curious!
No problem! It's actually cheaper for me to go to Missouri! After 1 year of OOS then you can apply for IS. Plus Missouri does 2 years of clinicals and I'm all about hands-on!
When I toured IL they said they each did 1 spay and 1 neuter. Missouri said each student does about 30 spays and neuters since they require a round of shelter med for clinicals.

No problem! It's actually cheaper for me to go to Missouri! After 1 year of OOS then you can apply for IS. Plus Missouri does 2 years of clinicals and I'm all about hands-on!
When I toured IL they said they each did 1 spay and 1 neuter. Missouri said each student does about 30 spays and neuters since they require a round of shelter med for clinicals.
That is awesome that it will be cheaper for you congrats!!

26 year old male, Texas resident, 2nd time applicant

Applied: Kansas State, Iowa State, Colorado State, Midwestern, Western, Oklahoma State, Minnesota
Interview Invites: Kansas State
Waiting to Hear: None
Rejected: Colorado State, Midwestern, Western, Oklahoma State, Minnesota.
Waitlisted: Kansas State and Iowa State
Accepted: Kansas State
Attending: Kansas State

Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.0
Last 45 GPA: 3.2

GRE (Q/V/W): 160/158/3.5

Degree: BA in Biology (2016)

Veterinary Experience:
1) Kennel tech combined hours ~ 2,000 between two clinics.
2) Vet tech for ~2,100 hours at the time of application.

Animal Experience:
1) Pet sitting
2) Experience with own animals

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
1) Animal Medicine Club president

Non-Animal Employment:
None

Volunteer:
1) I volunteered with my school's feral cat rescue group for 3 years

LORs:
1) Veterinarian/Owner of the clinic I work at
2) Veterinarian I've worked with most for the past 2 years
3) Veterinarian I work with

I am proof that people with lower GPA's have a shot!!

Kansas State class of 2022

Reactions: 13 users
27 year old Female, ME resident, 1st time applicant, and super thrilled to be posting here!

Applied: Cornell, Tufts, Colorado, Oregon, Wisconsin, Michigan

Rejected: Cornell, Colorado, Wisconsin, Tufts (interview waitlisted)

Interview Invites: Michigan

Waitlisted: Oregon, Michigan

Accepted: Michigan

Attending: Michigan!

Overall GPA: 3.62

Science GPA: 3.57

Last 45 GPA: 3.59

GRE (Q/V/W): So bad… 149/156/4.5

Degree: BA with double majors in Psychology and Music 2013, Post-baccalaureate pre-med certificate 2017

Veterinary Experience

Small animal veterinary assistant/receptionist, humane society medical intern: ~4000 at time of application

Animal Experience

Large animal (UVM CREAM program and CREAM Show Team, farm animal care): ~300 hours

Small animal (humane society volunteer, pet sitting, feline in-home hospice care): ~2140 hours

Research

Nada

Extracurriculars/Awards
  • Community Choir
  • College Chorus
  • College Jazz Choir
  • College A Capella group (member, business manager, and president)
  • LGBTQ Ally
  • Founding member of tap dance group at college
  • Voice Lessons
  • Hospital volunteer at two hospitals
  • Dean’s List
  • College Scholarship
  • Graduated Cum Laude
  • Member of Psi Chi International Honors Society in Psychology

Non-Animal Employment
  • Resident Assistant
  • Server at ice cream shop
  • GAP sales associate and manager

LORs
  • Humane Society Medical Manager
  • Humane Society Veterinarian
  • Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Advisor
  • Biochemistry Professor (also a professor at UVM's medical school)

I discussed my interest in shelter medicine and the field’s impact on public health. I also made a point to mention my background in human psychology as an asset to working with others where it was appropriate. In Michigan State’s supplemental application, I also decided to get personal and talk about my experience with PTSD and how working through it helps me maintain my compassion for others and myself. This was maybe a risk, but I think it ended up paying off.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone putting down any of their hobbies in their experience section? I travel to visit my family in the United Kingdom and Greece, so I was thinking of putting that down? I just don't know how many hours I would put for that? Also, I go to a dog friendly coffee shop every week with my dog and friends and was thinking of putting that? I don't need to put it to show animal hours or anything, I already have enough hours.. I just wanted to maybe show a bit of what I do for fun/ my personality! Would love to hear opinions on this and see whether it would be good or frowned upon! Thanks! :)

Is anyone putting down any of their hobbies in their experience section? I travel to visit my family in the United Kingdom and Greece, so I was thinking of putting that down? I just don't know how many hours I would put for that? Also, I go to a dog friendly coffee shop every week with my dog and friends and was thinking of putting that? I don't need to put it to show animal hours or anything, I already have enough hours.. I just wanted to maybe show a bit of what I do for fun/ my personality! Would love to hear opinions on this and see whether it would be good or frowned upon! Thanks! :)
I put some of my hobbies down. I don’t think it’s frowned upon. It shows you have a life outside of vetmed.

The VMCAS questions thread may be a better place to ask that question. This thread is more for people applying this next cycle to look at and get a feel for what the stats of the people who were accepted this year were.

Best of luck!

The VMCAS questions thread may be a better place to ask that question. This thread is more for people applying this next cycle to look at and get a feel for what the stats of the people who were accepted this year were.

Best of luck!

I definitely meant to/ thought I was posting in the "2023 hopefuls" thread. Sorry about that!! :laugh:

I put my hobbies down and I think it definitely was a plus, actually. At one of the schools I interviewed at (and actually now attend), my interviewer was really interested in my hobbies and we spent some time talking about them. It shows them that you have a life beyond vet med.

I didn't think I'd be writing in here this year. I didn't decide to become a vet until sophomore year of college and I'm also low-income. I had to do A LOT of catching up. My grades weren't the best because I was working so hard both to get vet hours and to pay for college.

Add onto that I'm a bona fide overachiever and set my sights for several "top tier" vet schools for my first application cycle. My application both of these 2 cycles did not match the schools I applied to all that well. I set my sights high, thinking that only a "top tier" vet school was worth my time. Guess what? If you have the drive and motivation, it doesn't matter where you go to vet school. You'll be a great vet if you have the drive to do it. Learn from my mistake and apply to schools who emphasize traits that you excel in (research experience, high last 45 GPA, etc.), not just your dream schools!

Anyways, here's all my stats. Just goes to show that perseverance pays off!

-----------------------------------

23 year old female, NY resident, 2nd time applicant

First Application
Applied:
Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, Purdue, Ohio
Interview Invites: Tufts (was on the interview waitlist, then pulled off)
Rejected: Cornell, UPenn, Purdue, Ohio
Waitlisted: Tufts

Second Application
Applied:
Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, Ohio, OVC Guelph, Wisconsin
Interview Invites: OVC Guelph
Rejected: UPenn, Ohio, OVC Guelph, Tufts (was on the interview waitlist, never pulled off)
Waitlisted: Cornell, Wisconsin (ranked #174--offered a seat on 5/25/18)
Attending: WISCONSIN!

Degree:
BA in Biological Sciences from Cornell, completed May 2017

Overall GPA: 3.34
Science GPA: 3.16
Last 45 GPA: 3.56

GRE (Q/V/W): 159 (73rd percentile) / 157 (75th percentile) / 5 (93rd percentile)

Veterinary Experience:
SA clinic in my hometown, owned by a Cornell alumni (240 hrs)
Cornell Wildlife Health Clinic (130 hrs)

Animal Experience:
Guiding Eyes for the Blind puppy trainer and sitter (320 hrs)

Research: (strongest part of my app tbh)
Student researcher in a neuropsychology lab focusing on neural mechanisms of social behavior in prairie voles (involved animal handling; over 200 hrs)
Current lab tech in Cornell Vet School Research building, studying reproduction and carrying out bovine IVF (mentored by a DVM/PhD; idk like 500 hrs at time of application)

Extracurriculars:
Treasurer/House Manager/Alumni Mentor for a co-ed chemistry fraternity, member since freshman year of college

Non-Animal Employment:
Wegmans (grocery chain) for 6 years, started in high school and worked during breaks and holidays while in college
Library assistant in a small library in my dorm freshman year of college
Worked at my college's career center as a resume critiquer/student advisor for 3 years in college

LORs:
SA vet that I interned with, Cornell alum
Undergrad faculty advisor
Undergrad research advisor from neuropsychology lab
Mentor from current job, current Cornell Vet clinician and researcher (DVM/PhD)

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
Pretty much just talked about how my experiences helped me become who I am. I talked about how important I think empathy is in this field. I don't really know what branch of the profession I want to do yet but I discussed my interests in SA medicine, neurology, and pathology. My Wisconsin diversity essay was really focused on how I'm a low-income student who has had really close experience with dealing with angry customers/clients, working in team environments, and handling my own money at an early age.

Reactions: 15 users
26 year old female, Texas resident, 3rd time applicant

Applied: Colorado State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

Rejected: Colorado State

Interview Invites: Ohio State, TAMU

Waitlisted: Oklahoma State

Accepted: OK State

Attending: OK State

Overall GPA: 3.47 (VMCAS)

Science GPA: 3.42 (VMCAS)

Last 45 GPA: something between 3.7 and 3.9

GRE (Q/V/W): 152/159/4.5

Degree: BS in Animal Science (LSU 2013), BS in Veterinary Technology 2018 (will be LVT eligible after taking the VTNE)

Veterinary Experience

Shadowing local mixed practice in high school and college, feline TNR event volunteering, vet technology labs at time of application (small, large, and lab animal medicine; surgery assisting), externship at an equine clinic; ~900 hours total

Animal Experience

Wildlife/exotic/zoo: ~500 hours (wildlife rehab, exotic animal education facility, aquarium summer internship)

Food animal: ~600 hours (FFA turkeys in high school, poultry judging team in undergrad)

Research

One workday helping with field research involving whitetail deer (capture/transport, sample collection, data recording). Idk if it actually counted as research but it seemed the best place to put it

Extracurriculars/Awards
  • National Scholars Award at LSU
  • National hispanic merit scholar
  • Various ag and poultry scholarships
  • 2012 National collegiate poultry judging competition 8th overall individual
  • Quidditch
  • Pre-vet Club and the Wildlife Society at LSU
  • Vet Tech Club at current school (co-head of merchandise committee)
  • Dean’s List at both undergrad schools, President's list at current school

Non-Animal Employment
  • Blog writer for my current school until the program was discontinued
  • Work-study at the Dairy Science department while at LSU

LORs
  • DVM/Professor/Director of my vet technology program
  • another DVM/professor from my program
  • LVT/former instructor
  • Assistant Dean of college of ag (used for TAMU only)

Stated that my primary areas of interest are large/food animal and exotics/wildlife and why I am interested in those, but explained that I still have much to learn and am open to exploring many specialties and career paths. Said that I hope to contribute to clinical knowledge and understanding of less-documented species within vet med. Listed some characteristics I think would be important to DVMs and how I have demonstrated or hope to apply those characteristics, and that sometimes compassionate care involves making difficult decisions. For TAMU's TMDSAS statements I sort of restated many of these points plus my reasons for interest in vet med, key life events, how I would contribute to an ethnically and experientially diverse class

Explanation statement: basically explained the reason for some terrible grades early in my undergrad career (unprepared and overstretched myself in my first semester, and a health issue that occurred in my junior year), but that I reevaluated my study methods and have demonstrated this by showing great improvement in my later grades

Wildlife/exotic/zoo: ~500 hours (wildlife rehab, exotic animal education facility, aquarium summer internship)
This reminds me, I don't think I ever got to thank you for looking into taking our bite case monkey even though it didn't work out. Lol

This reminds me, I don't think I ever got to thank you for looking into taking our bite case monkey even though it didn't work out. Lol
LMAO, I wish it could have worked out so there could maybe be a monkey roaming around the Caribbean exhibit right now :laugh: I totally forgot about that

LMAO, I wish it could have worked out so there could maybe be a monkey roaming around the Caribbean exhibit right now :laugh: I totally forgot about that
Well, given his history and his hatred of men maybe letting him wander the Caribbean exhibit may not have been the best idea lol

I need more information
Blog%2Btitle.jpg

But like

I need a full story
Pretty simple, had a lady who owned a common marmoset. It got out and bit someone, then while someone else was on the phone to report the original bite it came over and bit the caller too. We had it at work for a long time because we couldn't return it to the owner after the quarantine because they're illegal to own in city limits and we were looking for someplace to rehome it so we didn't have to euthanize. We considered the aquarium for a while (they have South America and Caribbean exhibits so he would have fit in) before the original owner magically came up with a housing situation for the animal outside of city limits where it was legal to own him.

Pretty simple, had a lady who owned a common marmoset. It got out and bit someone, then while someone else was on the phone to report the original bite it came over and bit the caller too. We had it at work for a long time because we couldn't return it to the owner after the quarantine because they're illegal to own in city limits and we were looking for someplace to rehome it so we didn't have to euthanize. We considered the aquarium for a while (they have South America and Caribbean exhibits so he would have fit in) before the original owner magically came up with a housing situation for the animal outside of city limits where it was legal to own him.
Oh my

26 year old female, Texas resident, 3rd time applicant

Applied: Colorado State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M

Rejected: Colorado State

Interview Invites: Ohio State, TAMU

Waitlisted: Oklahoma State

Accepted: OK State

Attending: OK State

Overall GPA: 3.47 (VMCAS)

Science GPA: 3.42 (VMCAS)

Last 45 GPA: something between 3.7 and 3.9

GRE (Q/V/W): 152/159/4.5

Degree: BS in Animal Science (LSU 2013), BS in Veterinary Technology 2018 (will be LVT eligible after taking the VTNE)

Veterinary Experience

Shadowing local mixed practice in high school and college, feline TNR event volunteering, vet technology labs at time of application (small, large, and lab animal medicine; surgery assisting), externship at an equine clinic; ~900 hours total

Animal Experience

Food animal: ~600 hours (FFA turkeys in high school, poultry judging team in undergrad)

Research

One workday helping with field research involving whitetail deer (capture/transport, sample collection, data recording). Idk if it actually counted as research but it seemed the best place to put it

Extracurriculars/Awards
  • National Scholars Award at LSU
  • National hispanic merit scholar
  • Various ag and poultry scholarships
  • 2012 National collegiate poultry judging competition 8th overall individual
  • Quidditch
  • Pre-vet Club and the Wildlife Society at LSU
  • Vet Tech Club at current school (co-head of merchandise committee)
  • Dean’s List at both undergrad schools, President's list at current school

Non-Animal Employment
  • Blog writer for my current school until the program was discontinued
  • Work-study at the Dairy Science department while at LSU

LORs
  • DVM/Professor/Director of my vet technology program
  • another DVM/professor from my program
  • LVT/former instructor
  • Assistant Dean of college of ag (used for TAMU only)

Stated that my primary areas of interest are large/food animal and exotics/wildlife and why I am interested in those, but explained that I still have much to learn and am open to exploring many specialties and career paths. Said that I hope to contribute to clinical knowledge and understanding of less-documented species within vet med. Listed some characteristics I think would be important to DVMs and how I have demonstrated or hope to apply those characteristics, and that sometimes compassionate care involves making difficult decisions. For TAMU's TMDSAS statements I sort of restated many of these points plus my reasons for interest in vet med, key life events, how I would contribute to an ethnically and experientially diverse class

Explanation statement: basically explained the reason for some terrible grades early in my undergrad career (unprepared and overstretched myself in my first semester, and a health issue that occurred in my junior year), but that I reevaluated my study methods and have demonstrated this by showing great improvement in my later grades
Congrats! Would you mind sharing what schools you applied to before and how you have improved this third time around? I will be going into my second round of apps soon. Thanks!

Congrats! Would you mind sharing what schools you applied to before and how you have improved this third time around? I will be going into my second round of apps soon. Thanks!
No problem!

In previous years I had applied to LSU, Washington State, Ohio State, and Colorado State. This year I changed some of the schools I chose to apply to, because I finally had completed the last prereqs I was missing to apply to my in-state (TAMU) and Oklahoma.
For this attempt the main way I improved was definitely my GPA (plus some more vet experience). In 2016 I inquired at my school about pursuing either a Masters or a second Bachelor's, and ultimately joined our fairly new Veterinary Technology program (which is like attending a Vet Technician program, except you earn a BS instead of an Associates). While I never intended to pursue a career as an LVT, this program was perfect for me because it allowed me to take relevant post-bacc courses AND gain great animal/vet experience in the process--not just with small animals, but large, lab animal, and avian/reptiles too. Some of the courses even fulfilled prereqs at certain schools (Ohio State used my Anatomy & Physiology credit). Anyway, I worked to maintain good grades in this program, and for this app cycle I got good eLORs from my professors/instructors. Just graduated a couple weeks ago, and now I just need to take the VTNE and state boards this summer to become a Licensed Vet Tech!

So in summary I think that improving my last 45 GPA (plus having this sorta-different vet tech program experience) helped set me apart and improve my app this time. I think sci/math GPA was my weak point at TAMU (they calculated it at 3.2), and I had trouble articulating some answers in my Ohio interview which hurt me a bit there.

Side note, one of my classmates will be attending Ross and I believe someone from a previous class is currently a student at TAMU. Some others work at the teaching hospital as LVTs.

Last edited: