Summer-- O Chem 1 w/ lab or Phys 1 w/ lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which would you guys advise that i take this summer? Organic Chem 1 with Lab or Physics 1 w/ lab?

I will be taking them UTD and I attend UT Austin (which is very notorious for having difficult labs) during the regular semesters. Keep in mind I will also be working as a medical assistant 15-20 hours a week this summner. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
taking a summer course like ochem or physics with lab while having a 15-20 hour a week is a challenge and possibly a risk. I am not sure I would recommend it . one of the considerations for summer courses is you have no buffer time so you must keep up. the other thing is to be limited in how many summer prereqs you may take over your college career

Frequently Asked Questions | College of Medicine | SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Applicants should avoid taking more than one or two prerequisite science courses during the summer and avoid taking them at community colleges.

Does not taking summer courses still count for students who started this path "late"? As in, I'll have to take some of the pre-reqs after I graduate, preferably the summer after I graduate in May.

Once upon a time...

I took physics w/lab over summer. It was ****ing horrible. I think you're looking at a lose-lose.

Flip a coin for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which would you guys advise that i take this summer? Organic Chem 1 with Lab or Physics 1 w/ lab?

I will be taking them UTD and I attend UT Austin (which is very notorious for having difficult labs) during the regular semesters. Keep in mind I will also be working as a medical assistant 15-20 hours a week this summner. thanks!

Are you taking it with or without calc?

How good is your calc? Algebra-based physics is mostly concepts and a little math.

i'd say my calc is acceptable...kind of stale though bc i took it last semester. i got an A though

How good is your calc? Algebra-based physics is mostly concepts and a little math.
I don't know why people say this.
Lol you'll be fine with no calc in physics. People say you need it but you don't need it THAT much imo. It's mostly just for deriving formulas to use which is not often so you can just remember the derivation or integration

I don't know why people say this.
Lol you'll be fine with no calc in physics. People say you need it but you don't need it THAT much imo. It's mostly just for deriving formulas to use which is not often so you can just remember the derivation or integration

If you're not a math/physics person, calc based physics can be hard. I personally think Ochem was much easier than physics.

i'd say my calc is acceptable...kind of stale though bc i took it last semester. i got an A though
Are you better at chem or physics? It just depends on you. Buy both of the textbooks and see which seems easier for you to understand.

If you're not a math/physics person, calc based physics can be hard. I personally think Ochem was much easier than physics.

Are you better at chem or physics? It just depends on you. Buy both of the textbooks and see which seems easier for you to understand.

Due to scheduling conflicts, I had to register for Physics and the lab. Hopefully I don't die this summer lol. I'm good at Chem, it is my favorite subject. Haven't taken Phys since high school