You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2020
Started by capt34500
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
sapphiresafaia
New Member
Good luck to everyone submitting their applications! ^_^
ongo_gablogian
New Member
what's everybody applying to this cycle?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UCLA SPUR, UCLA Amgen, and Lawrence Berkeley Lab for mewhat's everybody applying to this cycle?
ongo_gablogian
New Member
@Seihai do you have any advice?
@Seihai do you have any advice?
If you mean advice in applying to these programs, your letters will carry you more than your application essays will, but your application essays do still matter and are pretty important to some schools.
There's a bunch of really good programs for people interested in med school/MD-PhD, but not every program is really focused on that (some focus solely on the PhD side of things for the prep materials if they offer them and may not be as valuable to people interested in med school only). Leadership Alliance mentions what the programs prepare you for on their website, and I think the AMGEN website does too now.
If you have specific questions, feel free to tag me.
what's everybody applying to this cycle?
Mayo clinic, Emory, Nasa, and a couple more.
JHU SIP x3 for me, with a few other non research programs.
Baylor, Pittsburg CNUP-SURP, Mayo, UT Southwestern, Rockefeller SURF, Johns Hopkins SIP and a couple more! I think I applied to like 15 haha
do you have any advice/tips?Good luck to everyone! I did several of these summer programs and greatly enjoyed them all. My research there has come up many times in interviews.
do you have any advice/tips?
Hey, I posted some general advice above earlier in the thread. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Good Luck to everyone! Applying to AMGEN (UCSF, UT Southwestern), MD Anderson, Leadership Alliance (Tufts, U of Miami, and Howard), Einstein, Ut Health SOD SURP, and Scripps.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone is applying to UCLA Amgen - is the deadline February 3rd at 11:59PM ? Website just says February 3rd
Edit: Undergraduate Research Center—Sciences | Amgen Scholars Program at UCLA Application Deadline
Looks like it's due at 11:59PM, February 3rd
Edit: Undergraduate Research Center—Sciences | Amgen Scholars Program at UCLA Application Deadline
Looks like it's due at 11:59PM, February 3rd
Last edited:
D
deleted910026
Applying to Upitt and WashU. Good luck all!
ongo_gablogian
New Member
can anyone see their leadership alliance portal with the sites? for some reason, i can't
K.Neuro1600
New Member
I also can't see them.can anyone see their leadership alliance portal with the sites? for some reason, i can't
EICS
Applied to WashU (BioMedRAP and ASPIRE), Vanderbilt VSSA, Duke SROP, Harvard SR-EIP, Northwestern SROP, Iowa SROP, Siteman Cancer Center, and Baylor SMART. Got accepted to Baylor on 2/7, but they want a quick final decision by Wednesday, so idk what to do. Good luck to everyone else!
*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
Sorry I know I missed a couple, but I figured these were the main ones that people would be snooping on here to see so I threw them in alphabetical order and made the list look clean so we can be neurotic but organized .
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
Sorry I know I missed a couple, but I figured these were the main ones that people would be snooping on here to see so I threw them in alphabetical order and made the list look clean so we can be neurotic but organized .
*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
No, I haven't heard back from anywhere yet hahaanyone heard from CSHL URP yet?
whatintardigration
New Member
I applied to Jackson Laboratory, Gerstner Sloan, University of Oregon, Purdue MBAP, Cornell MBG, Tufts, Pepperdine, Northeastern, NCAT State, UMichigan, and Wadsworth Center. Haven't gotten any responses yet. Good luck everybody!
phdplz
Full Member
*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
What lab did you apply to for the MAYO SURF?
Applied to MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE and just got an email saying I was put on the short waitlist. I really wanted to get in since there's a lab I'm interested in and I feel pretty sad right now haha..
Final decisions sent out March 6 so the waiting game begins again
Has anyone had experience with MD Anderson waitlists or just waitlists in general? How likely is it to be accepted for a program with ~10% acceptance and >600 applicants?
Final decisions sent out March 6 so the waiting game begins again
Has anyone had experience with MD Anderson waitlists or just waitlists in general? How likely is it to be accepted for a program with ~10% acceptance and >600 applicants?
phdplz
Full Member
What lab did you apply to for the MAYO SURF?
a lab in the biomedical engineering and physiology track
Got accepted to Baylor SMART and MD Anderson CPRIT CURE! The deadline for these programs were coming up and I was wondering if anyone had done/knew anything about these programs? There’s very little info about the CPRIT CURE on their website so I was wondering if someone knew anything that would help me decide between the two? Thanks in advance!
Got accepted to Baylor SMART and MD Anderson CPRIT CURE! The deadline for these programs were coming up and I was wondering if anyone had done/knew anything about these programs? There’s very little info about the CPRIT CURE on their website so I was wondering if someone knew anything that would help me decide between the two? Thanks in advance!
Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did CPRIT-CURE already send out the lab(s) you matched to in the acceptance email?
Also, in regards to your question, I think it depends on what sort of research you'll be doing and which one appeals to you since both are pretty similar in terms of caliber/the activities they have for students.
Dang, it’s the same one I applied to! Congratulations!a lab in the biomedical engineering and physiology track
Do you think they’d be done giving out offers by now?
@ all those who were given acceptances – did you interview for them?
I didn't for mine.@ all those who were given acceptances – did you interview for them?
I interviewed for Northwestern's Premed Internship and Northwestern's CTCSSIP last week but haven't heard back yet.@ all those who were given acceptances – did you interview for them?
Silence from UVA, Cincinnati Children's, NYU and Mayo.
phdplz
Full Member
Dang, it’s the same one I applied to! Congratulations!
Do you think they’d be done giving out offers by now?
Definitely not! Last summer I didn't get my acceptance until the 26th. Usually, they finish up sending out all acceptances out by March so there's plenty of time to receive an acceptance.
phdplz
Full Member
@ all those who were given acceptances – did you interview for them?
Mayo will automatically send you a letter if you get accepted.
Accepted at Northwestern PreMed Intern Program. Waiting on UChicago PSOMER, and Johns Hopkins SIP x3.
I also interviewed for NW's internship! Good luckI interviewed for Northwestern's Premed Internship and Northwestern's CTCSSIP last week but haven't heard back yet.
Silence from UVA, Cincinnati Children's, NYU and Mayo.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!!! Hopefully we hear back soon regarding our applications too.Accepted at Northwestern PreMed Intern Program. Waiting on UChicago PSOMER, and Johns Hopkins SIP x3.
Am I the only one who thought it was really weird that Mayo had an application fee?I interviewed for Northwestern's Premed Internship and Northwestern's CTCSSIP last week but haven't heard back yet.
Silence from UVA, Cincinnati Children's, NYU and Mayo.
Dany151
New Member
*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)
Vanderbilt MSTP (2/5 Dany151)
Mount Sinai (2/9 Dany151)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
[/QUOTE]
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)
Vanderbilt MSTP (2/5 Dany151)
Mount Sinai (2/9 Dany151)
*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen
*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
[/QUOTE]
No, they said they would match after accepting the offer. Unfortunately for both, I won't be notified of my mentor until after I accept the offer. Thanks for the advice!Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did CPRIT-CURE already send out the lab(s) you matched to in the acceptance email?
Also, in regards to your question, I think it depends on what sort of research you'll be doing and which one appeals to you since both are pretty similar in terms of caliber/the activities they have for students.
For SMART and CPRIT-CURE I did not, but was offered an interview with my potential PI for the University of Cincinnati SURF. They usually reach out to you if you do have to interview, but unfortunately do not warn you much in advance if there's an "interview" stage, at least in my experience.@ all those who were given acceptances – did you interview for them?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 12
- Views
- 9K
D
- Replies
- 291
- Views
- 64K