Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capt34500

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone! I did several of these summer programs and greatly enjoyed them all. My research there has come up many times in interviews.

@Seihai do you have any advice?

If you mean advice in applying to these programs, your letters will carry you more than your application essays will, but your application essays do still matter and are pretty important to some schools.

There's a bunch of really good programs for people interested in med school/MD-PhD, but not every program is really focused on that (some focus solely on the PhD side of things for the prep materials if they offer them and may not be as valuable to people interested in med school only). Leadership Alliance mentions what the programs prepare you for on their website, and I think the AMGEN website does too now.

If you have specific questions, feel free to tag me.

Darn these threads were a little bit more jumpin' in the past by now lol.

Baylor, Pittsburg CNUP-SURP, Mayo, UT Southwestern, Rockefeller SURF, Johns Hopkins SIP and a couple more! I think I applied to like 15 haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck to everyone! Applying to AMGEN (UCSF, UT Southwestern), MD Anderson, Leadership Alliance (Tufts, U of Miami, and Howard), Einstein, Ut Health SOD SURP, and Scripps.

Applying to Mayo Clinic, WFIRM, Upstate, MUSC

Goodluck to y'all

can anyone see their leadership alliance portal with the sites? for some reason, i can't

Applied to Harvard Systems Bio, Yale Amgen, Stanford SSRP/Amgen, UCSF, Dartmouth MPUS, UMich Cardio, Mayo Clinic SURF, CSHL, NYU SURP, Baylor, and Dell Med. Good luck everyone!

Applied to WashU (BioMedRAP and ASPIRE), Vanderbilt VSSA, Duke SROP, Harvard SR-EIP, Northwestern SROP, Iowa SROP, Siteman Cancer Center, and Baylor SMART. Got accepted to Baylor on 2/7, but they want a quick final decision by Wednesday, so idk what to do. Good luck to everyone else!

*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem)

*****WAITING******
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory SURF
Dartmouth MPUS
Dell Medical School LCI SURF
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Howard Leadership Alliance
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
Tufts Leadership Alliance
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
U of Miami Leadership Alliance
University of Michigan FCVC-SURF
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******

Sorry I know I missed a couple, but I figured these were the main ones that people would be snooping on here to see so I threw them in alphabetical order and made the list look clean so we can be neurotic but organized .

*****ACCEPTED******
Baylor SMART (2/7, Redstem; 2/12 wiswal)

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)

I applied to Jackson Laboratory, Gerstner Sloan, University of Oregon, Purdue MBAP, Cornell MBG, Tufts, Pepperdine, Northeastern, NCAT State, UMichigan, and Wadsworth Center. Haven't gotten any responses yet. Good luck everybody!

*****ACCEPTED******
Mayo Clinic SURF (2/12 phdplz)

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)

*****ACCEPTED******

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)

What lab did you apply to for the MAYO SURF?

Applied to MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE and just got an email saying I was put on the short waitlist. I really wanted to get in since there's a lab I'm interested in and I feel pretty sad right now haha..

Final decisions sent out March 6 so the waiting game begins again

Has anyone had experience with MD Anderson waitlists or just waitlists in general? How likely is it to be accepted for a program with ~10% acceptance and >600 applicants?

Just got offered an interview for Dartmouth MPUS

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted to Baylor SMART and MD Anderson CPRIT CURE! The deadline for these programs were coming up and I was wondering if anyone had done/knew anything about these programs? There’s very little info about the CPRIT CURE on their website so I was wondering if someone knew anything that would help me decide between the two? Thanks in advance!

Got accepted to Baylor SMART and MD Anderson CPRIT CURE! The deadline for these programs were coming up and I was wondering if anyone had done/knew anything about these programs? There’s very little info about the CPRIT CURE on their website so I was wondering if someone knew anything that would help me decide between the two? Thanks in advance!

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did CPRIT-CURE already send out the lab(s) you matched to in the acceptance email?

Also, in regards to your question, I think it depends on what sort of research you'll be doing and which one appeals to you since both are pretty similar in terms of caliber/the activities they have for students.

Here is to hoping that everyone gets an acceptance tomorrow morning! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
a lab in the biomedical engineering and physiology track
Dang, it’s the same one I applied to! Congratulations!

Do you think they’d be done giving out offers by now?

@ all those who were given acceptances – did you interview for them?

I interviewed for Northwestern's Premed Internship and Northwestern's CTCSSIP last week but haven't heard back yet.

Silence from UVA, Cincinnati Children's, NYU and Mayo.

Dang, it’s the same one I applied to! Congratulations!

Do you think they’d be done giving out offers by now?

Definitely not! Last summer I didn't get my acceptance until the 26th. Usually, they finish up sending out all acceptances out by March so there's plenty of time to receive an acceptance.

Accepted at Northwestern PreMed Intern Program. Waiting on UChicago PSOMER, and Johns Hopkins SIP x3.

I interviewed for Northwestern's Premed Internship and Northwestern's CTCSSIP last week but haven't heard back yet.

I also interviewed for NW's internship! Good luck

Am I the only one who thought it was really weird that Mayo had an application fee?

*****ACCEPTED******
Vanderbilt MSTP (2/5 Dany151)
Mount Sinai (2/9 Dany151)

*****WAITING******
Dartmouth MPUS
Duke SROP
Harvard SR-EIP
Harvard Systems Bio
Iowa SROP
Johns Hopkins SIP
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Mayo Clinic SURF
MD Anderson SURF
Northwestern SROP
NYU SURP
Pittsburg CNUP-SURP
Rockefeller SURF
Siteman Cancer Center
UCLA Amgen
UCLA SURP
UCSF SURF
UCSF Amgen
UT Health SOD SURP
UT Southwestern Amgen
Vanderbilt VSSA
WashU ASPIRE
WashU BioMedRAP
Yale Amgen

*****REJECTED******
MHIF (2/5, wiswal)
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!! If you don't mind me asking, did CPRIT-CURE already send out the lab(s) you matched to in the acceptance email?

Also, in regards to your question, I think it depends on what sort of research you'll be doing and which one appeals to you since both are pretty similar in terms of caliber/the activities they have for students.
No, they said they would match after accepting the offer. Unfortunately for both, I won't be notified of my mentor until after I accept the offer. Thanks for the advice!

For SMART and CPRIT-CURE I did not, but was offered an interview with my potential PI for the University of Cincinnati SURF. They usually reach out to you if you do have to interview, but unfortunately do not warn you much in advance if there's an "interview" stage, at least in my experience.