Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone heard from Jackson Laboratory, MDIBL, or Cold Spring Harbor?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing from CSHL. They said decisions would be out by the end of March.
That was what they told me, too. However, I got my rejection on March 15th (or 16th) last year. I guess they are being particularly slow this year.

That was what they told me, too. However, I got my rejection on March 15th (or 16th) last year. I guess they are being particularly slow this year.
Yeah, most likely with the coronavirus I’m sure they are also weighing that in.

I just got an email from my PI for the NIH SIP saying that there is a strong possibility of the program getting canceled

I just got an email from the St Jude POE director that the program is cancelled

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Just got an update from the PI that the NIH SIP is cancelled

Reactions: 1 user
My PI from NIH told me the program is cancelled. Brb I’m crying.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully not all research opportunities are cancelled so we can still get some experience this summer. I'm sorry for all the cancellations so far but just know that you guys who got those are super competitive and will reach any graduate/professional program that you want with that type of CV

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I got accepted at Rockefeller on the 13th of February, anyone heard from them yet? I am waiting for email giving update about the COVID19 since the University is currently closed. I am also struggling as I will need a Visa to get in the US and all the embassies in Europe are closed right now.

People from CSHL said they are still reviewing applicants (being delayed) and as of now, the program hasn't been cancelled.

Hello everyone, I got accepted at Rockefeller on the 13th of February, anyone heard from them yet? I am waiting for email giving update about the COVID19 since the University is currently closed. I am also struggling as I will need a Visa to get in the US and all the embassies in Europe are closed right now.
I was rejected last Friday.

Ok this is really dumb but basically my program got cancelled and I was wondering if it would be feasible to reach out to another program that is currently not canceled that offered me a position and I declined. They only gave me 2 days to respond and it was in late February so I had no idea how bad the outbreak was going to be.

Ok this is really dumb but basically my program got cancelled and I was wondering if it would be feasible to reach out to another program that is currently not canceled that offered me a position and I declined. They only gave me 2 days to respond and it was in late February so I had no idea how bad the outbreak was going to be.
I’ve been wondering the same thing. This is really bothering me

I’ve been wondering the same thing. This is really bothering me
I actually just emailed the program coordinator and she said that all spots have been filled but they were going to decide whether to cancel the program or not by next Monday. She was very nice and understanding and while it might not help to reach out, it at least gave me some closure haha.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually just emailed the program coordinator and she said that all spots have been filled but they were going to decide whether to cancel the program or not by next Monday. She was very nice and understanding and while it might not help to reach out, it at least gave me some closure haha.
Lady from mayo clinic said the same thing about making final decision on monday. I already got accepted so I am literally praying to god this doesn't mess with my internship.

Today I got an email from Kyoto Amgen saying that the program will be cancelled.

• Sad
Most programs are getting cancelled. COVID really got us good guys :/

• Sad
They could at least transform the programmes in some sort of online and distance learning programs in which we can have some sorts of seminars or lectures just so that we could still gain something from it.

You said you called them? Do you mind copying the number?
I didn't call them but I emailed them today. The contact info is on their SURP info page at the bottom. Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Livestrong Cancer Institutes was canceled, but they offered us all spots in the 2021 cohort!

• Love
What are people's plans if their programs get cancelled? Im a rising senior and I've only heard rejections and cancellations from my programs, and I'm starting to get worried.

Are any programs that are being canceled offering any form of virtual program resources? I know that Vanderbilt is offering anyone who applied to attend weekly virtual seminars. But, for people whose program they were accepted to and was canceled is their program continuing virtually in any form?

My internships gave me guaranteed acceptance for next summer so that was nice. I don't know exactly what i will do this summer besides getting a job if available because I doubt I would be able to shadow or volunteer due to COVID-19. Its tough out here for pre-med/pre-dents :-(

Are any programs that are being canceled offering any form of virtual program resources? I know that Vanderbilt is offering anyone who applied to attend weekly virtual seminars. But, for people whose program they were accepted to and was canceled is their program continuing virtually in any form?
I wish my program would do this. It's the least they can do for us for having gone through the entire application process