Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing from CSHL. I thought today was the last day to receive an answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Still nothing from CSHL. I thought today was the last day to receive an answer.
I think we should wait. Last year I was rejected between 3-5 pm so let's wait until the end of the day

Reactions: 1 users
NYU SURP and UVA SRIP both canceled

• Sad
Are all the programs that are getting canceled, offering a guaranteed acceptance for next year?

Are all the programs that are getting canceled, offering a guaranteed acceptance for next year?
No. At least the one I got in (stowers summer scholars) didn't say anything related. Some programs didn't share the outcomes of applications, they just cancelled.

Still haven't got any words (even cancellation) from CSHL...:(

Members don't see this ad :)
This doc has info. on almost every program's response so far

• Love
This whole situation is a nightmare.

Same here... are they even going to have the program since new york is the worst state with the cases rn?
I honestly wonder that too. If you look on the CSHL website, it looks like their lab has entirely shut down for now.

I honestly wonder that too. If you look on the CSHL website, it looks like their lab has entirely shut down for now.
yeah... wondering about if anyone gets invitation and what CSHL says about potential cancellation.

If my program cancels, I’m specifically going to ask to defer my acceptance. But worst case scenario, you reapply and you get in again just like you did the first time around. I plan to keep up with the coordinator so they know my name at least... be strategic and kind!

Harvard's Kidney Research Program is cancelled as well, although they offered us priority acceptance for next year. I also do research at WashU, and my PI emailed me this:
"Yes I would expect that most programs will end up cancelling because it is so challenging to know when travel restrictions will be lifted and these programs require a lot of planning. At the moment it is extremely uncertain how things will work out for the summer. All labs in the Chemistry Department, and most at WashU, are entirely closed with the exception of essential maintenance such as checking on freezers and refilling cryogenic gases for major equipment. We have been instructed to work entirely from home until at least April 22 (just announced today- initially was set at April 6). So obviously this will really stall our work! At this point, it is unclear if we will be open this summer and if we are, if we will be fully open and allowed to have undergrads work in the lab. I am very hopeful that things will turn and we will be back open in May or June."

I know that WashU hasn't been the only uni that has research restrictions right now, but it definitely means that things are still tentative right now.

Did someone email Rockefeller directly or did they send out a general update? I was accepted to this program a while back but I haven't received any updates yet.

I'm considering emailing my coordinator if they can defer my acceptance to next year... But i'm an incoming senior and wonder if this is still worth a shot?

I'm considering emailing my coordinator if they can defer my acceptance to next year... But i'm an incoming senior and wonder if this is still worth a shot?

If you're taking a gap year, yes ofc! Otherwise, probably not.

If you're taking a gap year, yes ofc! Otherwise, probably not.
Why would it not be worth it if you're not taking a gap year? I'm still planning on attending my REU after graduation since I would be learning new lab techniques in a different and really cool environment while making a decent amount of money from the stipend. You can also expand your network so you can have more opportunities down the road.

Why would it not be worth it if you're not taking a gap year? I'm still planning on attending my REU after graduation since I would be learning new lab techniques in a different and really cool environment while making a decent amount of money from the stipend. You can also expand your network so you can have more opportunities down the road.

I agree with this. REUs are a fantastic experience, and I’m not sure why graduating would change that, unless you’re only doing them to pad your resume

I’m referring to when your professional schools starts. Some schools have students come in for activities as early as July; so you may not have the time to do an REU or SIP. Just depends on your individual situation, obviously.

Thanks for the insight everyone. Should I send them an e-mail now or should I wait several more weeks? My program asked us to only contact our coordinators if there are urgent questions

I think seniors are not eligible for REU

I think seniors are not eligible for REU
Some programs, including mine, have offered to waive eligibility requirements for next summer so for these programs seniors would be able to attend. @capt34500 If it is important to you then you should email them!

• Love
I’m referring to when your professional schools starts. Some schools have students come in for activities as early as July; so you may not have the time to do an REU or SIP. Just depends on your individual situation, obviously.
Ok that's what I thought you meant I was just curious if there was a specific reason you were saying that like if admissions committees would think its bad to do an REU as a senior. I don't know its complicated and I'm overthinking this lol.

Hi guys, I’m currently a sophomore. Do you guys have any tips for a pre-med track student? I applied to some summer research programs and did not get accepted. I don’t want my summer to go to waste and I still want to get some clinical experience.

Has anyone heard anything from any of the Leadership Alliance (LAN) SREIPs? Like any cancellations, acceptances, rejections, etc?

Has anyone heard anything from any of the Leadership Alliance (LAN) SREIPs? Like any cancellations, acceptances, rejections, etc?
I was unable to complete my app due to a portal error and was shockingly (/s) rejected by one of them last week I believe so decisions of some kind are going out

Hi guys, I’m currently a sophomore. Do you guys have any tips for a pre-med track student? I applied to some summer research programs and did not get accepted. I don’t want my summer to go to waste and I still want to get some clinical experience.

I’m also a sophomore and there’s close to nothing can really do clinically right now. Maybe if you found a person whose private practice is still running you could shadow them, but imo that wouldn’t be smart. Most health care settings won’t let anybody who doesn’t absolutely need to do anything be there, much less volunteers and students. Maybe you could volunteer at a food bank or other organization that is helping those that don’t have a steady income during this time. You can also look into taking some classes this summer; most universities are going online for the summer too.

Also just contacted the program coordinator for MUSC SURP and they said they canceled. :cryi:

I was unable to complete my app due to a portal error and was shockingly (/s) rejected by one of them last week I believe so decisions of some kind are going out

Ah sorry to hear!! Would you mind me asking which SREIP institution you got the decision from? And did you receive that decision through an email or the LAN site?

Ah sorry to hear!! Would you mind me asking which SREIP institution you got the decision from? And did you receive that decision through an email or the LAN site?
Haha I never finished the application so I'm not to broken over it! Especially since I'll hopefully be going to my top program this summer if it stays not cancelled!

The rejection was from UChicago and it was through my email associated with the account on the portal.

Did anyone apply to NYU CNS program? If so, did they reach out to you concerning decisions or cancellations

My division at JHU SIP has offered a virtual program or deferment. I’m choosing to defer to summer 2021.

Rockefeller SURF has offered guaranteed admission for next year plus a possible online personal development course for this summer. TBH this is the best it could happen giving what is happening.

Reactions: 3 users
If I haven't heard back from some programs yet, should I assume that it's a silent rejection?

NYU SURP and UVA SRIP both canceled

Sorry to hear UVA SRIP was cancelled. I participated in that program a couple years back and had a great experience. If anyone has questions about it in the future feel free to pm me about it

I heard from a friend that Pitt SPAEP is canceled as well but there will be some sort of an online format.

Albert Einstein SOM just cancelled their research program (which is for the best, considering they're in the middle of NYC and the huge COVID-19 outbreak that is there)

Albert Einstein SOM just cancelled their research program (which is for the best, considering they're in the middle of NYC and the huge COVID-19 outbreak that is there)
Yeah Albert Einstein SURP is canceled, but it sounds like they are going to have some virtual components. I don't know if this is going to be offered to everyone who applied or what. Did anyone else get that in their email?

Yeah Albert Einstein SURP is canceled, but it sounds like they are going to have some virtual components. I don't know if this is going to be offered to everyone who applied or what. Did anyone else get that in their email?
Everybody will get the opportunity to access the webinars

Reactions: 2 users