Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dkn
Got into:
Yale SURF
John Hopkins SIP (several)
Yale NIDDK
NYU Neuroscience SURP
AMGEN Caltech (got an offer due to upcoming deadline)
I chose AMGEN and all the schools were super nice about me choosing the AMGEN program. Really happy how especially Hopkins seemed to be supportive and asked me apply next year :)
Lmk if I can be of any help
congrats!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from John Hopkins SIP Careers in Sciences. I emailed them and received this automated reply: "Due to the sheer volume of applications received this year, we are currently experiencing a backlog in releasing decisions for many of the Johns Hopkins Summer Internship Program opportunities. We appreciate your patience as we work through this process." I don't know if they do silent rejections

I was already accepted to CSM. But according to that automatic email, there may be chance?

Ok so this may be a shot in the dark, but has anyone done UCSP with Penn? The program looks super interesting, but its relatively new, and I'd really like to hear from someone who's done it. Please DM me if you have!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from the Clinical & Translational track for Mayo SURF?
I heard back ages ago, on 2/11. I had to turn it down last friday, but the PI they assigned me told me the last day was 3/13.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard back from Rockefeller or CSHL?

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt (I applied mainly to their Vaccine Center program), Jackson Laboratory, Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, or Cold Spring Harbor? I'm starting to get worried...

Has anyone heard anything from Vanderbilt (I applied mainly to their Vaccine Center program), Jackson Laboratory, Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, or Cold Spring Harbor? I'm starting to get worried...

I haven’t heard anything too but can I message you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into Mayo SURF, does anyone know anything about it (other than website info, like if you know someone who has done it already)?

I was in the biomed track last year so I can’t speak for the neuro track but I could possibly try to answer some questions :)

Is anyone else worried that their summer internship program will be cancelled? They just cancelled all summer abroad programs at my university, and there isn't even a case in our state.

Is anyone else worried that their summer internship program will be cancelled? They just cancelled all summer abroad programs at my university, and there isn't even a case in our state.
we need yung science ppl to help fight the coronaaaaa lol

same haha

Universities in the US are closing left and right ... I hope our programs are okay.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else still not heard back from Johns Hopkins SIP?

If the school at the program you accepted has moved to online classes for the semester, is it likely that the program will be canceled? Or are we expecting a significant change in coronavirus before June?

US started seeing COVID cases in mid January. Right now, Italy is probably at it’s peak as far as cases go. If the virus is spreading anything like it has in other countries, it’ll probably be a couple months until everything starts leveling off. That’s why many universities are allowing students back on campus in mid/early April. I suspect that we will be fine this summer. Fingers crossed.

also I’m not an expert so whatevs

• Sad
Has anyone heard back from Columbia AMGEN?

This is my first year applying to summer research programs. Can anyone tell me how prestigious Rockefeller and CSHL are? Is it difficult to get into and how well known are they? Thanks!

If anyone has been admitted to JHU SIP, could you DM me? I’m trying to get a consensus of something

This is my first year applying to summer research programs. Can anyone tell me how prestigious Rockefeller and CSHL are? Is it difficult to get into and how well known are they? Thanks!
Last year ~850 people applied for CSHL and ~20 attended the program. So it is even more competitive than top PhD program, based on what my prof says. Did you get an invitation from CSHL? If so, could you DM me? Wanna know some details about that.

Last year ~850 people applied for CSHL and ~20 attended the program. So it is even more competitive than top PhD program, based on what my prof says. Did you get an invitation from CSHL? If so, could you DM me? Wanna know some details about that.
No I haven’t gotten an invitation! I was just wondering about them!

Got into Mayo SURF, does anyone know anything about it (other than website info, like if you know someone who has done it already)?
I am trying to know to, my friend got accepted with me (separate campuses) and we are both kinda clueless on what housing and everything is going to look like.

I am trying to know to, my friend got accepted with me (separate campuses) and we are both kinda clueless on what housing and everything is going to look like.
I only know ab rochester. You set up housing on your own. Once in, there is a groupme where you can find people in the program looking for roommates.

Rockefeller is very prestigious due to its nature of being tri-institutional. They will essentially 'shuffle' accepted students around between Rockefeller, Weill Cornell, and Sloan Kettering. For perspective, Sloan was #1 for cancer research in the US.
Most people who know the science world would certainly know about Rockefeller and its affiliate institutions, but not every student is tapped into external research. A lot of pre-meds arent especially, but the pre-PhD students certainly are. Those are mostly your competitors.

Not sure if that helps but hopefully it gives you some perspective!

Has anyone else still not heard back from Johns Hopkins SIP?
All SIP acceptances have been sent out already. You should email but chances are it's a silent rejection. If it makes you feel any better, they only accept around 1 % of applicants, meaning that they reject very qualified individuals each year.

I only know ab rochester. You set up housing on your own. Once in, there is a groupme where you can find people in the program looking for roommates.
Good my friend is in rochester and she was wondering. I am going to be in the same campus as my college city so I can just stay on campus and get meal plan for free (scholarship) and commute. (My parents house is an hour away to so It is like I don't have to go out of my way for anything).

Did anyone get email about the possiblity of canceling summer programs due to coronavirus? My school is going to shut down all labs by this Wednesday.

Did anyone get email about the possiblity of canceling summer programs due to coronavirus? My school is going to shut down all labs by this Wednesday.
Mine was cancelled

Baylor SMART has said that there are no current plans to cancel the program and they will update participants in a time manner.

I am on the the front lines of this pandemic. I work with immunologists and infectious disease doctors. Please encourage everyone you know to do social isolating because that is going to help us get through this. With the changing weather, that’ll help stop the spread of the virus. Viruses of these kinds don’t do well in warm, humid environments. Dry and cool climate will spread it. We can get through this. It’ll take time and sacrifice but trust in the process. #FlattenTheCurve.

Rockefeller decisions will be released this Friday the 20th.