Support System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rightfooted

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At interviews, I am frequently asked what my support system is. Please give me some suggestions on how to answer this question when I am in a state I have not been in before and have no connections.

Members don't see this ad.

Are your parents still alive? You can always say they support what you're doing and will always be there for you if you need it blah blah blah. Sub parents for other family members if they're not around.

At interviews, I am frequently asked what my support system is. Please give me some suggestions on how to answer this question when I am in a state I have not been in before and have no connections.

--Maintaining contact with friends and family back home
--Developing new relationships with classmates
--Participating in intramural sports
--Visiting the gym, both to maintain health and meet new people
--Participating in clubs

Members don't see this ad :)
Frequently?? I didn't think this was a topic that interviewers often bring up. I don't have much interview experience, but I am surprised by the question. Is there something specific on your application that would make them ask this?

It's been a question at 2 of my 3 interviews...just mention family, friends, etc.

Last edited:
Everything Chocolate Bear mentioned and also things like having REGULAR eating/sleeping/exercise habits so that you stay at the top of your game and your able to handle the challenges med school throws at you.

They basically wanna know why you will make it through hell...:rolleyes:

Frequently?? I didn't think this was a topic that interviewers often bring up. I don't have much interview experience, but I am surprised by the question. Is there something specific on your application that would make them ask this?

Ive been asked this in three of five interviews (the two that didnt ask were in my home state, so that probably explains why). I think cbear hit most everything. I talked about family and friends, still having that connection, but I also talked about how I typically get a long well with people, and that I am going to go to a school where I feel I will fit in......that means making friendships, establishing relationships and connections, etc. I even talked about how I had already begin working connections with rugby teams that were in the area, so in a sense had already started making friends.

I was asked in my interview...maybe one of the easiest questions I think. Just say family and friends and keeping in touch with them on a consistent basis and maybe talk about the support they have given you in the past...if any.

Hell just say that chocolate bear is your support system.

Haha...Chocolate Bear is my Boyyyyy.....

My pyschiatrist, lol

OP, i hope you do have a strong supporst system, everyone in med school should have one.
I read an article recently talking about how a majority of doctors were depressed and hated med school life.
Having a strong support system, whatever it maybe, will definitely help you fight through the next 4 years...