This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatAboutWho

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted for privacy.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ADCOMS aren't likely to care about your several month time span of beginner's Spanish. Lot's of people (at least where I'm at) have a beginner's level of Spanish and many never progress any further.

Maybe an ADCOM gives you a slight nod for it because you're putting in the effort and maybe they don't. I would still take it regardless. Obviously location dependent, but > 50% of my inpatient experiences during medical school have taken place in Spanish.

Your writing makes odd errors. I know you are online, but is English you first language? Not being a jerk - but perhaps you make sure to get your peer/mentor to read your personal statement once you get to writing one. There are some things that take years to pick up when you write in english that are not common in other languages.

Again - not to pick on you, but if English is not your first language, then it is really important that when you apply to schools you ask your friends or mentors to help edit your writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends, do you really want to learn Spanish or just boost your app a little? Two or three Spanish classes won't get you to the point where you can have a real conversation with someone. I wouldn't trust someone at that level to get a patient's history either. To be able to really use the language you'll need to work on it after your undergrad classes.

If you just want to boost to your app, I doubt it'll do anything beyond raise your gpa. Tons of people take the beginning sequence of a language and plenty of colleges require it. I presume adcoms know these students aren't really Spanish speakers.

Thank you for the advice.
So you would suggest against taking lower level courses?
Unfortunately the CC does not offer higher level bio sciences.
Would you suggest retaking courses such as gchem (which I unfortunately got a C in), even if I plan to take the MCAT prior to the class.

Ooo something I may be able to help with. I'm a gringo that had a goal of being bilingual and I decided to combine that goal with the most useful 2nd language to learn in the U.S. - Spanish. My thought would be that lower level classes will not matter at all for adcoms, my reason being they are either,
A: "woke af" and realize your 1-2 semesters is an insincere token gesture towards underserved communites (Coming from a medical interpreter and non-native fluent Spanish speaker those classes will be all but useless for you in the future)
B: Dont especially care about underserved communities so they wouldnt even notice this as a positive.

I agree that volunteering and exposure is your best bet, In my experience (I got waitlisted and am now working as a medical interpreter with my 1st acceptance received today) increased clinical exposure helps you think like a physician and allows you to connect more easily to the doctors interviewing you.

Imo, your gpa is not that bad, just any experience in research and/or science would be my advice for you. I learned the hard way my first app cycle that people dont seem to actually put their money where their mouth is when it comes to "reaching out to underserved communities" like they all try to say they do.

Reactions: 1 user
From my experience, if you just stop at beggining Spanish it’s going to be pretty much useless. After taking beginning Spanish you won’t have enough knowledge to carry on a conversation let alone understand what native speakers are saying. You should consider putting your resources towards something else.

Also, if you do really want to learn Spanish, I personally believe there are more effective ways than just sitting in a class...

Reactions: 1 user