Texas A&M 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS applicant up in here! A&M is definitely one of my top picks, but I'm not a huge fan of College Station (I love Austin's diversity). Any advice on acclimating to such a tiny town? Also, I've heard some disturbing things about racism there, so is there any credence to that...?
I used to work at a veterinary clinic with a coworker who was half Filipino and half Black, and was dating a black guy when she was an undergraduate at A&M. When she went out to bars with him on the weekends, they would make her boyfriend enter through the back door because he was black. I've also heard from her that racial tensions are pretty high there. I'm IS as well, but I've never heard great things about A&M in terms of social atmosphere.

As a TAMU graduate, I feel like I could be of some help for these questions. I can definitely identify with you on the love of urban areas versus college towns. College Station is nothing like living in a big city, but if you're there for vet school you will hardly have time to notice or care. It suffices as a pretty decent college town with enough shopping and restaurants. With that being said, there are not many activities for nature lovers or outdoorsy people like myself which is a huge downfall in my opinion.

As far as racism goes, I'm white so I can't give any perspective as a minority. I have never witnessed any type of racial tension that the media has covered and most Aggies/BCS locals are VERY friendly and nice regardless of your ethnicity (to my knowledge). So I think these incidents are somewhat isolated as most of the people i've interacted with here have had good morale. CS has a huge diversity in the types of people living here so you'll come across everything from rural farm folk to city students to international students.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
IS applicant up in here! A&M is definitely one of my top picks, but I'm not a huge fan of College Station (I love Austin's diversity). Any advice on acclimating to such a tiny town? Also, I've heard some disturbing things about racism there, so is there any credence to that...?

Hey, I go to A&M for undergrad. There have been some racist and sexist events during my time here, we seem to average about 2 big scandals/events per year. Honestly, I don't know how widespread racism is here; I'm white and I don't associate with people who act that way. That being said, the university always condemns these actions and investigates them. Regardless of however many bad apples we may have, you will find people here who accept you as yourself. Best of luck! Hope this info helps.

Reactions: 1 user
There's the big Grand Opening of the new VBEC buildings (the new school) tomorrow afternoon if anyone is able to attend! Should be a good time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy everyone! I think it was about time we started a Texas A&M page, especially since TMDSAS is very different than VMCAS! Who else is applying?
I am first time IS applicant. Just applied this September. I received a letter from TAMU vet at my parents' house. I won't let them open it without me there. But I can't get there till thanksgiving! What could it contain? Too early for rejection/interview invitation I suppose? I'm dying to know! But I don't want them to scan it to me!

Good luck to all the Aggie Vet hopefuls! I'll be starting third year this fall (crap, time flies!), and I'd be happy to answer any and all questions that I can!
I received a letter at my parents' house from TAMU vet school but I can't get home to see it till thanksgiving. What's most likely in it? Too early for rejection/interview invitation I think.

I got one too. It's just a letter saying your application is processing. It says what pre requisites you are still taking and it says that interview invitations will be sent on the 16th.

Yeah I got the letter today. They did something wrong and said I am missing my genetics prerequisite even though I've taken two genetics courses that qualify. Got to call them Monday to get that cleared up. Also, in previous years, they have set a specific date to notify of interviews but have actually sent invites out a few days sooner. Last year, something messed up on the interview portal and some people found out almost a week early. They ended up sending the mass email out a few days later before their specified date. Lol

Yeah I got the letter today. They did something wrong and said I am missing my genetics prerequisite even though I've taken two genetics courses that qualify. Got to call them Monday to get that cleared up. Also, in previous years, they have set a specific date to notify of interviews but have actually sent invites out a few days sooner. Last year, something messed up on the interview portal and some people found out almost a week early. They ended up sending the mass email out a few days later before their specified date. Lol
Me too. I went ahead and asked my parents to open the letter and scan it to me. Couldn't stand not knowing. There are three courses I've taken but they show as not taken. Maybe I'll need to petition for credit. Any thoughts if this will detract from earning an interview?

I got one too. It's just a letter saying your application is processing. It says what pre requisites you are still taking and it says that interview invitations will be sent on the 16th.
Thank you!

Me too. I went ahead and asked my parents to open the letter and scan it to me. Couldn't stand not knowing. There are three courses I've taken but they show as not taken. Maybe I'll need to petition for credit. Any thoughts if this will detract from earning an interview?

It shouldn't as long as you prove you have taken them. I would call them Monday and ask what you should do. They may have you resend your transcript or may ask for a syllabus for those classes. According to my friend that applied last year, this is a pretty common occurrence. There's so may applicants and prerequisites to go through, that they simply overlook some courses by accident.

It shouldn't as long as you prove you have taken them. I would call them Monday and ask what you should do. They may have you resend your transcript or may ask for a syllabus for those classes. According to my friend that applied last year, this is a pretty common occurrence. There's so may applicants and prerequisites to go through, that they simply overlook some courses by accident.
Thanks!

The same thing happened to me. One course said that I never took it and other said I'll be taking it next semester - even tho I took both courses last year. I just called Yolanda at the number on the bottom of the letter and she fixed it immediately.

Members don't see this ad :)
The same thing happened to me. One course said that I never took it and other said I'll be taking it next semester - even tho I took both courses last year. I just called Yolanda at the number on the bottom of the letter and she fixed it immediately.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! You ROCK! I was all worried.

Howdy, future Aggie Vet hopefuls! I'm currently butt-deep in third year and would be happy to answer any and all questions that I can! I'm not sure how much I can help with the application process since it's been several years since I applied. But if you have questions about the program, the people, the hospitals, the town, etc., I'm your gal! I've thoroughly enjoyed (yes, enjoyed) my time here at Texas A&M![/.
There's the big Grand Opening of the new VBEC buildings (the new school) tomorrow afternoon if anyone is able to attend! Should be a good time!
Thanks so much for your willingness to answer questions! Forgive me if this is a repeat. Any idea why my Statistics and Technical Writing (hoping Comp 1 and 2 will suffice) show as deficiencies? Taken at a community college. Maybe that's the problem? I have an email sent to Yolanda but haven't heard back. Thanks again!!!

Thanks so much for your willingness to answer questions! Forgive me if this is a repeat. Any idea why my Statistics and Technical Writing (hoping Comp 1 and 2 will suffice) show as deficiencies? Taken at a community college. Maybe that's the problem? I have an email sent to Yolanda but haven't heard back. Thanks again!!!

Just call them on a business day. I took Physics 1 at a community college and got a letter that it was insufficient. She checked and said that was an error on their part so she assured me that she would fix the issue. I received my letter on thursday and had it "cleared" by friday morning!

The best advice has already been given. The people in the Admin office are your best bet. It's been a little crazy with the construction finishing up and everything that had to get prepped for the grand opening, so that may be why they haven't responded yet. I'd always call first. You'll likely have better luck that way. Also, if you haven't checked out the prereq page (http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/prerequisites), it may give you a bit of insight on courses. It's likely just a error on their side, though.

Good luck!

I called and they got the prerequisite cleared up in about two minutes this morning. :)

On the same boat as you haha! Opened the letter and almost had a heart attack because I thought I lost my email record of them approving the two classes they said I didn't have. I am still waiting for an email back confirming that they got everything to fix my application.
Turns out Statistics and Technical Writing have to be upper division 300+ level according to Yolanda. Please let me know if anyone knows of a way around this. I've taken both classes already but as lower division. So I'm adding them again to my spring schedule at my college.

The best advice has already been given. The people in the Admin office are your best bet. It's been a little crazy with the construction finishing up and everything that had to get prepped for the grand opening, so that may be why they haven't responded yet. I'd always call first. You'll likely have better luck that way. Also, if you haven't checked out the prereq page (http://vetmed.tamu.edu/dvm/future/prerequisites), it may give you a bit of insight on courses. It's likely just a error on their side, though.

Good luck!
Thanks! Looks like I'll be retaking Statistics and Technical Writing as upper division in spring.

Just call them on a business day. I took Physics 1 at a community college and got a letter that it was insufficient. She checked and said that was an error on their part so she assured me that she would fix the issue. I received my letter on thursday and had it "cleared" by friday morning!
Thanks!

Turns out Statistics and Technical Writing have to be upper division 300+ level according to Yolanda. Please let me know if anyone knows of a way around this. I've taken both classes already but as lower division. So I'm adding them again to my spring schedule at my college.

I chatted with her a couple months ago when I was trying to figure out what classes would count, and she told me that Texas A&M's ENGL 210 or ENGL 301 would count as fulfilling the technical writing prerequisite (they are both undergraduate classes). I even asked her if VIBS 310 Biomedical writing would count, and she said that it wouldn't. Any other class you want to try to fulfill that prerequisite has to be approved by sending them a copy of the syllabus of the class you took.

Does anyone know if TAMU tells you if you DON'T get an interview? On the website it says we'll know if we get an interview by Dec. 23rd, but I've heard the 16th as well...the anticipation is killing me!

Does anyone know if TAMU tells you if you DON'T get an interview? On the website it says we'll know if we get an interview by Dec. 23rd, but I've heard the 16th as well...the anticipation is killing me!

They will be sending out interview invites and rejection emails all at the same time on or before December 16th this year. The past few years, they have sent them out a few days early, so everyone may get get the email before next Friday. But I feel you on the waiting. The anticipation is killing me too!

They will be sending out interview invites and rejection emails all at the same time on or before December 16th this year. The past few years, they have sent them out a few days early, so everyone may get get the email before next Friday. But I feel you on the waiting. The anticipation is killing me too!
Yeah, they send out emails with a document attached. The interview invites have your interview date/time, a link to accept the interview, and I think a map of the school attached? Not sure what the denials look like, though I would imagine it's a document that says something along the lines of "We unfortunately cannot offer you an interview at this time".

But anyway, yes, if you don't receive an interview they will let you know - and if you don't hear anything from them within at least a day or two of when everyone else has you should contact them to check on your status.

They sent out the invites kind of late in the day last year, and I think it was on a Friday. The 16th is probably the day they're shooting for, but they likely gave you all a date range in case things take longer than anticipated.

Ugh I got a notification that someone posted in this thread and my heart leapt out of my chest!

Waiting for interview invites is torture. :(

This is the video Christmas card from TAMU College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. This is a great sneak peak into seeing what the new buildings look like if you haven't had the opportunity to see them in person.

http://vetmed.tamu.edu/holidays2016/index.html

This week is the week guys!! I'm more nervous this time around (3rd time applying here) than before. I have a lot more riding on getting an interview this time around. Hope we all hear some good news soon! Also, for those who do not know, there is an interview portal page on the website. Usually they will not post anything in your portal until the day the send out the email, but sometimes it is updated before then.

This week is the week guys!! I'm more nervous this time around (3rd time applying here) than before. I have a lot more riding on getting an interview this time around. Hope we all hear some good news soon! Also, for those who do not know, there is an interview portal page on the website. Usually they will not post anything in your portal until the day the send out the email, but sometimes it is updated before then.

When do you think we'll hear back? I'm thinking Friday.

This is my third (and probably final) year applying to TAMU. I completed my undergrad and graduate degrees at TAMU. It would be nice to complete my DVM here too if I could. I've never received an invitation to interview, so even just an interview would mean I'm getting somewhere.

Everyone, they have taken the interview portal page down! The past few years, they took it down the day they sent out invites. So hopefully we'll hear today or tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that everyone receives good news soon! I think interview invites have typically gone out in the morning, but I know things can always change. I got my e-mail around 9:30am 3 years ago (holy crap, time flies)!

If you have any questions or anything, I'm happy to try to help! Good luck!!!

Edit: Checked last year's page and people were posting about invites around 3-4pm on the 18th (a Friday). So, could go either way tomorrow!

My interview portal is not down. (the same place where we filled out the seccondary app right?) Does this mean I didn't get one? Are yall's working? Freaking out here

My interview portal is not down. (the same place where we filled out the seccondary app right?) Does this mean I didn't get one? Are yall's working? Freaking out here

It's not the supplemental applicant page. There's a separate portal you can sign in with your same ID and password that you use for the supplemental. Type in tamu vet school interview into google and it should be the first link that pops up!

It's not the supplemental applicant page. There's a separate portal you can sign in with your same ID and password that you use for the supplemental. Type in tamu vet school interview into google and it should be the first link that pops up!

Thank you so much! It said "page not found" on A&M's website, so I'm guessing its still down?

Today is the day, y'all. I feel it in my bones.

I really hope we hear today...for us OOS people this is getting down to the wire

I keep refreshing my email every 5 minutes!

Reactions: 2 users
Forget my email, I keep refreshing this thread to make sure no one got an invite either lol

Reactions: 2 users
If only we knew what email address it would be sent from. On an iPhone you can mark an email address as VIP so you get notified when they email you.

I checked my email from when I applied two years ago. They sent the email at 5:42pm. So they still might send it today.

Interview portal is still down. But I'm starting to think it won't be today guys. :/

The website says the 23rd...hope we don't have to wait another week. Just the day before Christmas Eve???

The website says the 23rd...hope we don't have to wait another week. Just the day before Christmas Eve???

oh gosh I hope we don't have to wait that long! My anxiety was already through the roof today.

I thought the letter they sent in the mail about prerequisites said we would know by today? Just sucks if they changed the date to next week. :(