Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you insinuating that you were being facetious when you typed "that's quite the generous thought"? :eyebrow:

Insinuating that I was facetious? My my, would I really be capable of such an act?

Since when did mildly sarcastic equate facetious? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Insinuating that I was facetious? My my, would I really be capable of such an act?

That was a bit superfluous. lol. But yes now you come off more sarcastic in a mocking way lol. 2 kudos.

Last edited:
Hey! This is my first post!

I got my letter on Tuesday (ahh!!!! :D) but I still haven't gotten my packet from FedEx. Anyone gotten theirs yet?

Is there a Facebook group yet? I'd love to join. Search Brittany Oefinger if you need to add me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! This is my first post!

I got my letter on Tuesday (ahh!!!! :D) but I still haven't gotten my packet from FedEx. Anyone gotten theirs yet?

Congratulations! mind sharing a few of your stats? and your interview experience?

yes some people have received their packets :)

Congratulations! mind sharing a few of your stats? and your interview experience?

yes some people have received their packets :)

I think my GPA was somewhere around 3.2
B.S in Biology
PCAT 84
6 years a pharm tech
I had a great interview experience- they were genuinely interested in my story, and I think that's what sealed it for me

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Saw the FedEx guy drive through my apartment complex just now, but nothing for me :(

Saw the FedEx guy drive through my apartment complex just now, but nothing for me :(
I've had them turn around and come a little later once they find out they forgot a packet. hehe. personally has happened to me before. eitherway there's always tomorrow! :D

I got my package yesterday.:D
Syunfung, can you please answer this for me: Do I need to fill all the paperwork and return them together before the deadline? Or do they just need the acceptance card, the money??? And the vaccine ones can be mailed later????
There are couple other forms in there to fill. My concern is that I am not born in the US and I don't have my shot records but I have received all of them. So should I make an appt with my doctor and get the vaccines all over again?

One would think that just by sending the check (with your name), that in itself says "I'll be there in the fall" :laugh: ... without the need to send them the acceptance card.

I got my package yesterday.:D
Syunfung, can you please answer this for me: Do I need to fill all the paperwork and return them together before the deadline? Or do they just need the acceptance card, the money??? And the vaccine ones can be mailed later????
There are couple other forms in there to fill. My concern is that I am not born in the US and I don't have my shot records but I have received all of them. So should I make an appt with my doctor and get the vaccines all over again?

I don't think you have to have all of the vaccines sent in right away. I know with us you needed them before matriculation (first day). Right now they just want a card and some cash that says "I'll be there in the Fall." ;)

PharmB pretty much hit it on the spot. I sent all of mine in before the deadlines, but each item has their own deadline. I believe they'll send you that information later (possibly during pre-orientation?). However, even though I sent them before the deadlines, I sent them pretty much separately piece by piece. When I had a part done, I sent it into the office so that it no longer had to be in the back of my mind.

It's easier when you have a fax machine in close access (e.g. at work)...

As far as your vaccines, I'll ask some of the foreign students. I can't tell you since I never had that problem. I did retake one that wasn't on my record though.

EDIT: Get a blood titer at your doctor's. It should show the antibodies, proving you had the vaccination.

Last edited:
I just got an acceptance e-mail from Incarnate Word! (just interviewed on 2/25)

Now time to make the big decision! Anyone else in the same boat??

Members don't see this ad :)

No decision to make in my book! =) TAMHSCILRCOP all the way! :thumbup: We were ranked in the US News & World Report BEFORE we even got accredited 2 years ago. Just sayin' :)

Of course, in the end it's your decision and we'll be glad to answer any questions/concerns you have! Best of luck in your decision!:luck:

Texas A&M should be your choice.

Reason 1: Ranked
Reason 2: Way Cheaper than a Private School. (Do you really want to pay off school for a longer time???lol)

Now any other factors of course take into account...like if u liked IW more than A&M. But just helping you with 2 main points =D. Whatever you choose, choose the one that feels right. :)

So like just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people from the 250 interviewed actually decline? I didn't get an e-mail but I'm trying to stay positive its just so hard because Kingsville is my first choice.

So like just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many people from the 250 interviewed actually decline? I didn't get an e-mail but I'm trying to stay positive its just so hard because Kingsville is my first choice.

The wait list is going to be active until the first day of class. As others previously pointed out, some got phone calls the week before classes started. There is no guaranteed number of acceptances, withdrawals, etc. Patience is a virtue at this point.

I suppose you coooouuullld try to convince everyone here to go elsewhere. :smuggrin:

I just don't see a benefit to attending UIW for pharmacy school. But that's just me. I ate at a really expensive steak house in San Antonio once and regretted it instantly. They charged something like $8 for their cheapest water. From their water list. They had a water list.:eyebrow:

UIW is like that steak house. You pay for the ambiance (snooty voice). :rolleyes:

We're like that well-priced really good restaurant that you keep going back to. The one that's got food equal in quality, you feel comfortable dressing as you are, and there is no water list. :D

Ya I figured that would be the response I would get. Its just the wait is killing me, and i don't really have the heart to try to convince people to go to one school over another. Its their choice and I don't want to be the one that persuades then to go to a school that they might end up hating. Right now I guess I can just hope for a call and hope people decide to go to the "better" pharmacy schools.

Btw, I love your pharmacy school/restaurant analogy... but really? a water list? lol

The wait list is going to be active until the first day of class. As others previously pointed out, some got phone calls the week before classes started. There is no guaranteed number of acceptances, withdrawals, etc. Patience is a virtue at this point.

I suppose you coooouuullld try to convince everyone here to go elsewhere. :smuggrin:

I just don't see a benefit to attending UIW for pharmacy school. But that's just me. I ate at a really expensive steak house in San Antonio once and regretted it instantly. They charged something like $8 for their cheapest water. From their water list. They had a water list.:eyebrow:

UIW is like that steak house. You pay for the ambiance (snooty voice). :rolleyes:

We're like that well-priced really good restaurant that you keep going back to. The one that's got food equal in quality, you feel comfortable dressing as you are, and there is no water list. :D

So, we're like Cheddars and UIW is like... Butch's or this steak house you speak of? Quite the analogy there...

I'm surprised we don't have a water list down here in Kingsville though. :smuggrin:

Do you like your water Ozarka'd, Aquafina'd, Evian'd, Generic, or TAP?

Ya I figured that would be the response I would get. Its just the wait is killing me, and i don't really have the heart to try to convince people to go to one school over another. Its their choice and I don't want to be the one that persuades then to go to a school that they might end up hating. Right now I guess I can just hope for a call and hope people decide to go to the "better" pharmacy schools.

Btw, I love your pharmacy school/restaurant analogy... but really? a water list? lol

It is a waiting game, and I'll admit I don't envy your position at all. Only time can tell. One of my friends that I hung out with a lot last year was one of the ones that got the call the last week, I believe.

If I were you, still try to scout out where you could live and the possible amenities, because I definitely wouldn't be able to manage all of that if I only had one week until the semester started...

So, we're like Cheddars and UIW is like... Butch's or this steak house you speak of? Quite the analogy there...

hahaha...based on that analogy i'd say TSU is like... Mcdonald's? you know its bad for you, but its convenient, fills you up, and close by (for houston residents).

In 2007, 57% of those interviewed got accepted. I forgot the actual number of people interviewed and letters of admittance sent out, its online somewhere if u dig hard enough... i wish i saved the link... it was a PDF file. anyways so lets just assume 250 were interviewed for simplicity sake, 77 spots were eventually filled. that comes out to roughly 143 people being accepted. which means about 66 people declined. Granted, this is 5 years later and A&M has gained prestige, but just to give u a ballpark estimate of "worse case scenario" per say. lol. I say "worse case scenario" (or best case scenario depending on how you look at it - if u waiting to get in lol) because i figure a slightly smaller number of people decline at some point, i'd say maybe 50? lol. But as others have mentioned, it might not be until the last week for you to hear something.... hopefully that's not the case though. just be cool :cool:

Edit: I really wish the most recent numbers for all that information was out there... =/. maybe it is, but I'm not going to try that hard to look it up lol, I'll just got off what the A&M website has.

Last edited:

I know how you feel. This school was my first choice to. I tried not to get my hopes too high but I have to admit, I'm pretty bummed about not getting in. All I can do is hope for the best.

Thanks to everyone for information about who you are so I can get the facebook group working. My computer was getting fixed, and I was having trouble with getting enough time on school computers that worked well enough to do anything. I'm setting it up sometime today, so be patient and you'll get an invite from me, and of course if you haven't yet, give me enough info to find you on fb and I'll add you to the list.

I was just on the UT Austin COP page. Looks like their acceptance e-mails go out today just fyi so hopefully there will be more acceptance calls by next week

I was just on the UT Austin COP page. Looks like their acceptance e-mails go out today just fyi so hopefully there will be more acceptance calls by next week

I read that to! I really hope so but I was reading last years thread for kingsville and they actually waited 2 weeks before sending out the second batch. Not sure if it will be the same this year.

I read that to! I really hope so but I was reading last years thread for kingsville and they actually waited 2 weeks before sending out the second batch. Not sure if it will be the same this year.

That might be because the application packet is due 2 weeks after they were initially sent out. I'm guessing people wait till then to decline in case they decide to chance their mind. I know this year the application packets are due on the 16th

So maybe on the 20th, they will start calling the second batch of people for those they received a decline or didnt hear from.... hope u hear something that week cmsaenz and SciTech! =D

A spot has just open as I have decline application, just got accepted into my first choice at UT. Good luck to everyone else here.

I know how you feel. This school was my first choice to. I tried not to get my hopes too high but I have to admit, I'm pretty bummed about not getting in. All I can do is hope for the best.

I feel you, Kingsville is my first choice too. I wish I knew where I was on the list so I don't get my hopes up to high

I feel you, Kingsville is my first choice too. I wish I knew where I was on the list so I don't get my hopes up to high

under ur signature thingy it says u interviewed 1/9? i think u mean 2/9? lol. Hope you hear something soon!

On the same boat with you guys on this one. I wonder if they start calling people as spots open up or wait until the acceptances are due next week before they start mass calling people I'm really bummed out about not getting a letter last week too.

Hey, I'm all for carpooling, especially since gas prices are supposed to hit $5/gallon this summer. I'll be living near Ayers and Saratoga. How old are your kids? My daughter is 4 so I'm trying to find a good daycare down there.

I just started carpooling this semester and it has saved us money. I didn't carpool last semester but I wish I did. By the way I live on Staples close to Saratoga!

I just started carpooling this semester and it has saved us money. I didn't carpool last semester but I wish I did. By the way I live on Staples close to Saratoga!

Let's do it. I need my car to last another 2 years, so I'd rather not put 80 miles/day on it.

So, how much is tuition? I can't tell if the totals listed on the COP's website are per semester or per year. I also see a note on the financial aid page that says we will no longer be allowed to get subsidized loans. As a single mom with a child in daycare, I'm very concerned about my ability to pay for this degree without a pretty significant amount of financial aid. Has anyone struggled with this?

So, how much is tuition? I can't tell if the totals listed on the COP's website are per semester or per year. I also see a note on the financial aid page that says we will no longer be allowed to get subsidized loans. As a single mom with a child in daycare, I'm very concerned about my ability to pay for this degree without a pretty significant amount of financial aid. Has anyone struggled with this?

I believe it says "9 MOS", so I assume it's the full year's. I'm unsure because I have a grant and usually don't pay the full amount because of it...

Anyways, if you're asking about a comparative... we're in the top ten most affordable pharmacy schools in the nation. The most affordable is Florida A&M, but of course, this is all in terms of "in-state" tuition. It definitely won't be as affordable as an out of stater.

View attachment tuitioncosts.JPG

Hey, I'm all for carpooling, especially since gas prices are supposed to hit $5/gallon this summer. I'll be living near Ayers and Saratoga. How old are your kids? My daughter is 4 so I'm trying to find a good daycare down there.

My daughter turns 8 in April and my son just turned 10 months. He goes to Children's Educare on Weber and Gollihar. We like it so far and it opens early too!

I believe it says "9 MOS", so I assume it's the full year's. I'm unsure because I have a grant and usually don't pay the full amount because of it...

Anyways, if you're asking about a comparative... we're in the top ten most affordable pharmacy schools in the nation. The most affordable is Florida A&M, but of course, this is all in terms of "in-state" tuition. It definitely won't be as affordable as an out of stater.

View attachment 18779

Why is TSU so expensive compare to the other TX schools?

Why is TSU so expensive compare to the other TX schools?

All of the schools in the State are facing budget cuts. Because of that, each one has proposed tuition increases. The only ones on that list that aren't "finalized" are Texas A&M and Texas Tech. As a result, (if I remember right) both of ours are our current tuition fees.

The proposed ones for the future would still make us a better bang for your buck than the rest, if you ask me. :thumbup: We had a meeting to discuss the reasons for some of these changes and how it would affect us in the future.

LSUCPhT was also in this one, so she might be able to help elaborate on some as well. I don't take very good notes... :shrug::help:

I just talked to some of my friends that got accepted to kingsville, all 3 of them also got accepted to UT so they are declining their offer for kingsville so 3 more seats just opened up :) Im still hoping for a call :xf:

does anyone know if Dr. Robertson will be calling people as other people start declining or if he waits until after the 2 weeks?

I just talked to some of my friends that got accepted to kingsville, all 3 of them also got accepted to UT so they are declining their offer for kingsville so 3 more seats just opened up :) Im still hoping for a call :xf:

does anyone know if Dr. Robertson will be calling people as other people start declining or if he waits until after the 2 weeks?

I believe he starts calling as seats are available. We want to fill those up A.S.A.P., after all.

But I somehow doubt he'll call on the weekend. The man's busy enough as is! ;)

no. im from the valley...edinburg.

sorry i no this is all late but i was reading some of the earlier posts and found this one, are you by any chance going to pan am right now? Im asking because im from mcallen so i probably know you

Hi guys, thanks for the answers about the vaccine issue. I made an appointnment with my doctor on Monday to take care of that and the same time get meningitis shot and the physical exam.
I just got a letter from UIW telling me that I have put on a wait list!!!!
Anyway, I have a question about the rotations: Do P1 students require to do rotations if so how many hours a week? I remember in the Q&A session with the P1 students, they mentioned doing rotations on Fridays?
Can you plz tell me guys how do you currently fulfill that requirement?
Thanks.

Hi guys, thanks for the answers about the vaccine issue. I made an appointnment with my doctor on Monday to take care of that and the same time get meningitis shot and the physical exam.
I just got a letter from UIW telling me that I have put on a wait list!!!!
Anyway, I have a question about the rotations: Do P1 students require to do rotations if so how many hours a week? I remember in the Q&A session with the P1 students, they mentioned doing rotations on Fridays?
Can you plz tell me guys how do you currently fulfill that requirement?
Thanks.

If the P1s mentioned going on ROTATIONS on Fridays as a P1, then they either changed certain requirements, or THEY ARE LYING. :smuggrin: The most time consuming thing they could possibly have is lab and maybe some extended lectures for IPPE.

As far as the current standards are concerned, you start site visits during your P2 year with 12 site visits on Fridays per semester, 8.5 hours each visit not counting lunch. You will be sent to an institutional site and a community site. Along with the drive to your site (as people may be anywhere from Kingsville to Victoria or McAllen), you add the transit times. For example, I have a site in Corpus and I drive around the speed limit. I usually get caught behind some REALLY slow cars on the way to Corpus, so it's about 1 hour each way. So two hours for transit plus the 8.5 hours of the site visit and the 0.5-1.0 hour possible lunch makes about 11-11.5 hours total. By the time you get back, you'll be exhausted and won't be really privy to do anything. This is why a lot of us basically say as a P2, you only have 6 days of the week... You do not have this in P3 year, but you will be on rotation all throughout your P4 year.

However, if they were talking about SERVICE LEARNING, that's different. P1 students are required to obtain 30 hours of service learning through their first year. P2s are required to obtain 25 hours. The standard for this will change for the current P1s and all subsequent classes as I believe they will have service learning requirements during the P3 year as well, whereas mine will not. :D Service learning is something you do on your own time where you go out to different places to do presentations, do screenings, and generally reach out to the general populace. They want you to interact more with your potential patients and get your some more experience with some of the basic screenings that most pharmacies do now as well as to help you get more person-to-person experience (let's face it... there's a lot of people - esp. people who will be shooting for Rho Chi - who will be stuck with their nose hidden in a book never to talk with their peers).

sorry i no this is all late but i was reading some of the earlier posts and found this one, are you by any chance going to pan am right now? Im asking because im from mcallen so i probably know you

Not exactly....i graduated from UTPA back in 2004. I'm an old fart in comparison to most of you all.

As far as the current standards are concerned, you start site visits during your P2 year with 12 site visits on Fridays per semester, 8.5 hours each visit not counting lunch. You will be sent to an institutional site and a community site. Along with the drive to your site (as people may be anywhere from Kingsville to Victoria or McAllen), you add the transit times. For example, I have a site in Corpus and I drive around the speed limit. I usually get caught behind some REALLY slow cars on the way to Corpus, so it's about 1 hour each way. So two hours for transit plus the 8.5 hours of the site visit and the 0.5-1.0 hour possible lunch makes about 11-11.5 hours total. By the time you get back, you'll be exhausted and won't be really privy to do anything. This is why a lot of us basically say as a P2, you only have 6 days of the week...

Seriously, guy? Try having that IPPE on a Monday to start your week. You P2s have it really good now.

Seriously, guy? Try having that IPPE on a Monday to start your week. You P2s have it really good now.

Oh I'm quite aware of the issues from before. I'm also aware you had exams they day right after your visits.

Nowhere did I make a comparison between what we have and what you had. This is about the 2016'ers. What we have is more likely to affect them than what you had.

Point is getting the kiddos to realize the first year is always the best as far as time and material.

Don't treat me as if I'm not informed on the past, Jean Luc.

Last edited: