Texas A&M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's Monday!! I'm trying not to panic but I hope calls start going out today.

I told my girlfriend to give it a week since they are on spring break and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'm quite aware of the issues from before. I'm also aware you had exams they day right after your visits.

Nowhere did I make a comparison between what we have and what you had. This is about the 2016'ers. What we have is more likely to affect them than what you had.

Point is getting the kiddos to realize the first year is always the best as far as time and material.

Don't treat me as if I'm not informed on the past, Jean Luc.

R you guys on spring break too? Just curious!?

Captain Jean Luc Picard to you!

:laugh:

How often have you seen Beverly or Q refer to him as that? :p

It's Monday!! I'm trying not to panic but I hope calls start going out today.

I told my girlfriend to give it a week since they are on spring break and all.

I'm going to side with bluetrumpet on this one. Some depts. are closed during spring break as well, so I would assume no calls or emails will go off. Regardless, you should probably spend spring break relaxing rather than stressing out about receiving any correspondence. After all, you'll have no time for that after you graduate and get a job.

R you guys on spring break too? Just curious!?

We usually align our spring break with the APhA National Convention, so if the convention is a little later or earlier in the month, that's when our break is. This year, it happened to coincide with the spring break of other universities.

We usually align our spring break with the APhA National Convention, so if the convention is a little later or earlier in the month, that's when our break is. This year, it happened to coincide with the spring break of other universities.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, everyone needs a break around this time. I sent in my acceptance card today! It should be there tomorrow around 3pm.....I'm excited but the reality of it is sinking in! Now I have to think about moving and looking for a place and figuring out a way to finance my school!
Should I start applying for financial aid and student loans, I've never done any of those two...I have been paying my school out of pocket so far but the program is much more expensive so I have to finance it!
Another issue is: I live in San antonio and my husband is working in McAllen, we are trying to find a place in the middle between Kingsville and McAllen that is convenient for both of us and still be able to come home and have dinner with our little ones!
Any suggestion in these matters will be appreciated.

New rankings are out A&M is now 48 tied with UH.

Nice. Glad we tied UH. Surprised TSU and UIW are the same rank and at the bottom.

Is the ranking low for UIW because it's a new institution that got accredited recently? :confused:

Is the ranking low for UIW because it's a new institution that got accredited recently? :confused:

We opened the EXACT same year as UIW and got accreditation the EXACT same year as they did, just an FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what was Kingsville's rank last year? I'm trying to find it online but all that comes up is the ranking list for 2012

Just out of curiosity, what was Kingsville's rank last year? I'm trying to find it online but all that comes up is the ranking list for 2012

We (Texas A&M Health Science Center--not Kingsville) were ranked at #72 before we were even accredited. So, we are moving up the ranks at a fast pace! Look out UT! :thumbup:

Being in the middle of nowhere has its upside afterall lol

I just talked to some of my friends that got accepted to kingsville, all 3 of them also got accepted to UT so they are declining their offer for kingsville so 3 more seats just opened up :) Im still hoping for a call :xf:

does anyone know if Dr. Robertson will be calling people as other people start declining or if he waits until after the 2 weeks?

I was also accepted to UT and declined my invitation to the ILR COP. Now there is 4.

Rankings matter! And 65% of all statistics are made up, the Easter bunny can really lay eggs, and Obama wants to blow Nessie out of the water.:eek:

Well, I've decided on Incarnate Word...

Good luck to everyone who is waiting, there will be an extra spot up for grabs! Hope everyone has a great first year :D

Whose interested in staying at javelina station next year in a 2bd/2bath or looking into renting a house??

Rankings matter! And 65% of all statistics are made up, the Easter bunny can really lay eggs, and Obama wants to blow Nessie out of the water.:eek:

Of course we know the rankings usually mean squat, but the pre-pharm kiddos rely a lot on the rankings when looking at a decision. Hence, it is very good news that we're moving up, as it also means that we're more likely to attract the candidates that would make our school even better.

Whose interested in staying at javelina station next year in a 2bd/2bath or looking into renting a house??

I am interested and will most probably go with javelina station 2bd/2bath for the Fall 2012. That place is very close and I liked it

Hey guys, I know this might be a stupid question..but when Dr.Roberson call to offer us a seat, is it like now or never? Or do we have a chance to consider??

Last year it looked like they waited 2 weeks after the initial acceptance emails to call people. So, I would say he will probably call the 20th. They are on spring break also which can be a reason he is waiting.

Well, I've decided on Incarnate Word...

Good luck to everyone who is waiting, there will be an extra spot up for grabs! Hope everyone has a great first year :D
Noooooooooooooo....

Hope you have a great time there and good luck!

I haven't been accepted yet...I'm still hoping for a call but would ya'll advise that I look for an apartment? When I went up for my interview I was looking at Javalina Station. How does that work though? Like do I get the apartment and then if I don't get accepted do I still have to pay for it or what?

So I suppose graduating cum laude wouldn't matter, either? Just saying. Rankings may not be everything, but you can at least recognize the hard work which contributed to them.

Hey guys, I know this might be a stupid question..but when Dr.Roberson call to offer us a seat, is it like now or never? Or do we have a chance to consider??

Like bluetrumpet said, I think Dr. Robertson will start calling people next week but he will be calling people all through summer. As people decline their offer, he will call people until all the seats fill up. Don't give up hope just yet, there is still a chance.

That's not what I meant! haha, I mean like if Dr.Robertson calls us, do we have time to consider if we want to accept or not?

I could ask if you want me to. But if you haven't been accepted anywhere you'd rather go, I'd go ahead and accept. There's still the time it takes to FedEx you the acceptance packet, then you'll likely have the same 10 days as the rest of us to get your packet and $500 together, so that gives you some time. If you get another offer in that time, just back out and open the spot up. If not, it's just like Syunfung said; consider the deposit insurance, and you've at least got a spot.

For current students, how did you spend the summer vacation of your P1? It seems like most pharmacy students say that second year is one they definitely struggled with and what little social life they had went down the drain then. Would you guys advise finding an internship during that time? I might consider doing residency and want to do what I can early to make me a competitive applicant; however, I don't want to burn out!

That's not what I meant! haha, I mean like if Dr.Robertson calls us, do we have time to consider if we want to accept or not?

He tells you you have been accepted and they will FedEx you the packet with the acceptance card. Fill it out based on your decision.

Oh lol sorry I read it wrong. I think we still have time to consider if we want to accept just maybe not as much time. I was reading some of the posts from last year around this time. Some people got the call or packet (I don't remember) on a Thursday and had only until Tuesday of the following week to respond.

I am interested and will most probably go with javelina station 2bd/2bath for the Fall 2012. That place is very close and I liked it

I've lived at Javelina Station for the past 2 years and will be there again next year. The best part of it is it's close and furnished. Just about everything else is just okay. I guess it's one of the better options, especially for 1st year. I live in building 4, away from the courtyard and there is less noise I think than some of the ones that face the courtyard (the undergrads can get loud). I'd say the worst part of JS is the management. They are kind of flaky. You have to stay on top of them if you want something done. I know a lot of my classmates have moved to Hawk's Landing and Hunter's Cove. Draw back there is no furniture..I just personally didn't want to bring furniture. Plus, you pretty much have to get on the waiting list and won't get in there til your 2nd year. Oh, and a bit further from school and you may catch the train on the way to school.

For current students, how did you spend the summer vacation of your P1? It seems like most pharmacy students say that second year is one they definitely struggled with and what little social life they had went down the drain then. Would you guys advise finding an internship during that time? I might consider doing residency and want to do what I can early to make me a competitive applicant; however, I don't want to burn out!

Are you talking about the summer vacation before or after P1 year?

I took a long vacation before P1 year. I figured it was the last chance I really had with some of my friends since they would be graduating and entering the workforce soon. I ended up going to San Antonio for a weekend and once to Lake Charles (where I actually won a few bucks).

The summer after P1 year (before P2 year), I spent with an internship. Granted, I had to go overseas for some personal business, but the time I spent back in the States was spent on an internship. By that time, a few of my friends had started working and I wanted some experience with a different company than the one I've worked for 5 years.

This coming summer, I'm liable to be working part-time with my previous company since I wasn't able to land an interview with any other company (the internship fair is skewed more towards the P1s as far as dibs). I'll also be trying to take a veterinary pharmacy elective at the same time and maybe take a compounding certification course (hoping to get this moved as an elective credit).

Oh lol sorry I read it wrong. I think we still have time to consider if we want to accept just maybe not as much time. I was reading some of the posts from last year around this time. Some people got the call or packet (I don't remember) on a Thursday and had only until Tuesday of the following week to respond.

No, it's the same amount of time, pretty much. I did ask Ms. Knudsen before leaving how much time one has to respond to that packet if it was by email and she said a week. Granted Thurs-Tues is about 5 days, but you need to take the mailing speeds as well. ;)

I've lived at Javelina Station for the past 2 years and will be there again next year. The best part of it is it's close and furnished. Just about everything else is just okay. I guess it's one of the better options, especially for 1st year. I live in building 4, away from the courtyard and there is less noise I think than some of the ones that face the courtyard (the undergrads can get loud). I'd say the worst part of JS is the management. They are kind of flaky. You have to stay on top of them if you want something done. I know a lot of my classmates have moved to Hawk's Landing and Hunter's Cove. Draw back there is no furniture..I just personally didn't want to bring furniture. Plus, you pretty much have to get on the waiting list and won't get in there til your 2nd year. Oh, and a bit further from school and you may catch the train on the way to school.

Yep... I live in Building 5 and I got the courtyard... I live on the third floor to make sure they couldn't jump on top of my apartment in the middle of the night, but it's still distracting when they have a party going on at night/morning before an exam or a site visit... The management used to be much better than now (that's an understatement...) but hopefully they're going to rectify some things before you come in next year. To be honest, if I weren't about to get into my P3 year, I probably would have tried to move into Hawk's or Hunter's. The only place in Kingsville that is pre-furnished is Javelina Station and I just don't want to deal with buying new furniture just for one sodding year.

Oh, and that train suuuuuuuucks... I got caught behind it while I was out grocery shopping just before lab once and ended up having to take it into class with me rather than put it in my apartment and be even more late...

Last edited:

I did not do an internship after my P1 year. I don't regret taking the time off before P2 year, that's for sure. P2 year is definitely more busy/stressful than P1 year. However, I feel like you have to work harder to get an internship the summer after P2 year because the P1s get dibs on interviews when the companies come to campus. (Which I don't think is fair because it's the P2s last chance for an internship because P4 year starts pretty much right after P3 year.) Anyway, there are ups and downs to it, but I definitely don't regret relaxing before P2 year!

So I suppose graduating cum laude wouldn't matter, either? Just saying. Rankings may not be everything, but you can at least recognize the hard work which contributed to them.

I suggest you view the ranking methodology before comparing it to something as simple and objective as academic honours. It's nice to see our school moving up, but if I was on the fence between two schools, I don't think the ranks would be a deciding factor.

I did an internship at a paediatric hospital the summer between first ad second year, and LOVED it. It really opens your eyes to what a pharmacist does. More so than anything I experienced in class, at least. As LSU pointed out, P2s aren't given the same chances to interview at the internship fair, so a big part of landing an internship between second and third year is your networking.

Service learning and internships are great chances to talk to potential summer employers and start building bridges.

I suggest you view the ranking methodology before comparing it to something as simple and objective as academic honours. It's nice to see our school moving up, but if I was on the fence between two schools, I don't think the ranks would be a deciding factor.

Yes, apologies; my comparison was a poor one. I'm just excited about the school.

Still, I'm happy that it's moving up. The faculty & staff seem to be very proud of the work they've done building the school, and it's good that it's being recognized in the rankings.

Reading the ranking methodology is enlightening. The rankings are based on surveys sent to deans, administrators, and other faculty. The response rate was 39%. So this still does not tell me very much. I stick with my original comment and agree with B that rankings should not be a deciding factor between schools. I also thought in the past rankings were more influenced by research $$$$ and grants.

My point is I value the quality of my education over the ranking. When I started the college was not accredited, had not graduated a class, and three years old. Now it is accredited (with exemplary marks according to ACPE), soon to graduate its third class :))), and moving in very positive direction. I am extremely please with the school, its progress, and being actively involved in planning for its future. But I would rather the school stand on its own merits and successes than some subjective survey from a national magazine.

Once you have been accepted and chosen the school you will be attending please submit your name and school to the following link, It is an Official Roll Call Thread. Also add any other school(s) you were accepted to. Think this is a great thread, it gives everyone a chance to see who their future classmates might be.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

Thanks for that. Google-searching turned up lots of lists of rankings and very few decent explanations. And I was never making the case for making a decision based on ranking...I actually didn't know the rankings of any of the schools I tried. I just thought they would be somewhat important, else they wouldn't exist, but now I feel slightly like an idiot. Terribly sorry for any toes stepped on.

I don't think you stepped on any toes! :)

I just wanted everyone to be on the same level when it comes to boasting about our school rank. UIW isn't necessarily a worse choice because it's ranked lower despite opening the same year we did.

It's a worse choice because you pay such a bunch of money for building and nun upkeep :smuggrin:

does anyone here know anyone who needed to submit their transcript for their last semester (spring)? whether if it was because they were already accepted and the school wanted to verify their grades were good/actually graduated, or whether if it was someone that was on the "waiting list" per say, and summer hit and the school just wanted to see how the applicant did on their last semester before deciding to give him/her admittance to the school from the remaining applicant pool left to fill up the open seats left...

:confused:

I had to submit Spring and Summer transcripts. Not a big deal. I just emailed Ms DeLeon to let her know to expect my stuff from my college.

Like pharmB said, it's not a really huge deal. All schools have different dates by which these transcripts are ready, so just send them when your transcript is available. If you just send it as soon as your transcript is available, then you won't have to worry too much about it later.

does anyone here know anyone who needed to submit their transcript for their last semester (spring)? whether if it was because they were already accepted and the school wanted to verify their grades were good/actually graduated, or whether if it was someone that was on the "waiting list" per say, and summer hit and the school just wanted to see how the applicant did on their last semester before deciding to give him/her admittance to the school from the remaining applicant pool left to fill up the open seats left...

:confused:

I received couple of emails from Ms Gomboa-the counselor this week, the first one was to confirm the receipt of the acceptance card and the deposit and the second one was to ask me to contact my college for official transcript to be sent directly from them to A&M! I will still need to submit updated transcript since I am still taking classes this spring and I will need to take one more on summer semester! I don't think it is an issue as long as you keep them informed and submit transcript as soon as they become available.

sweet, thanks for the info guys.

Now I'm wondering if anyone who has gotten a letter of admittance to the school, if it was later revoked due to grades and a significant drop in GPA. Though I see it as very unlikely based on previous posts on keeping at least a 2.75 GPA and also considering the pre-pharm prereq grades have already been taken if its a final semester before graduating. Such a case would be interesting to hear....+pity+

anyways, good luck next week for those who are waiting to hear back.

Early Monday morning, and I already have my fingers crossed. Hopefully I get a call from Dr. Robertson this week. Good luck to everyone else hoping to hear back! At least we know there's at least like 5 spots open right?