Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
amelie, i was wondering the same thing about financial aid emails. do the schools send those out to everyone that they interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me the deadline to post my choices for the match?

Originally posted by Cacophony
Can anyone tell me the deadline to post my choices for the match?
1/15, at what time, I don't know

TMDSAS Match Info
Puruse the rest of the site, all the info you need is there and easy to find. I'm surprised so many people have yet to read up on what is going to happen, especially since the info is so accessible, they aren't trying to make this a mystery. (not you cacophony, but others seemed surprised that they had to rank at al)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by guiljason
amelie, i was wondering the same thing about financial aid emails. do the schools send those out to everyone that they interview?
I interviewed at all Texas schools except SW and received a good reception at all. However, I have not received financial aid stuff from anyone and I'm not worried about it. I wrote a thank you note to only one school (oops, just realized that this morning, too late now though to send in more) and I received a letter back from the woman I interviewed with thanking me for my visit. (I thanked he rover email, and sent an actual note to the adcom) Don't know if this would have been the case at the other schools if I had also sent a thank you note in too, or not.

I interviewed at all Texas schools except SW and received a good reception at all. However, I have not received financial aid stuff from anyone and I'm not worried about it.

i hope i didn't come across all wrong :(. i didn't mean to imply i've received stuff (financial or otherwise) from all the schools...and that anyone should be worried if they haven't received something.

but a good friend received a thank you for interviewing email from utsa...and i didn't. (or if i did, i deleted the message thinking it was spam). i think utsw sent out basic fafsa info. over email to interviewees. and i received a christmas greeting from tcom. (which was nice, but how in the world did i get on their christmas list :) )

i was just wondering whether these things are encouragement on some level or the work of very thoughtful/polite admissions/financial aid employees.

Originally posted by amelie
i hope i didn't come across all wrong :(. i didn't mean to imply i've received stuff (financial or otherwise) from all the schools...and that anyone should be worried if they haven't received something.

i was just wondering whether these things are encouragement on some level or the work of very thoughtful/polite admissions/financial aid employees.
sorry, I was kind of irritable yesterday, I didn't mean to sound b1tchy, (I was just kind of irritated and amazed at how all these texas people out there could take the time to fill out an app and go on interviews and not look through the TMDSAS site.) I just meant to say that if you haven't gotten anything, I wouldn't worry about it. at 3 of the schools I interviewed at I was specifically told by a person interviewing me that I probably wouldn't want to go to that school, as in I could get into a better one. another school I kind of got grilled about applying outside of texas, and at another school a guy gave me a lesson on how to pick which school is right for me. it kind of just seemed like all the people interviewing me thought I would go for a different school which to me seems kind of ridiculous because where would I go then? maybe they were just testing me (or know I am patiently waiting for the call from Baylor? ;)) The school I received a letter back from was the one where I got a lesson on how to pick a school for me, and I got it from the other person I interviewed with that day.

as for your question on whether or not they mean something? I think they do to an extent. however I am guessing that most people who received responses, got them after they sent in a thank you letter to those they interviewed. I don't think financial aid info means anything, some schools hand that out while you are there visiting. a xmas card? I don't know, but if it means something, it probably means you are someone they want to match there, they aren't just spending money for sh1ts and giggles.

ok, I think I still sound kind of cranky in this message, but I hope I answered your questions. if you have anymore, please feel free to pm or email me. :)

Originally posted by seaworthc
however I am guessing that most people who received responses, got them after they sent in a thank you letter to those they interviewed.

What's weird is that I got a thank you letter from an interviewer without sending one to them first:( I also received lectures about how I'm overqualified for the program and questions about where else I applied.

Originally posted by Mike59
I also received lectures about how I'm overqualified for the program and questions about where else I applied.
Yeah, this kind of worries me a bit. Several people who ended up at really good schools didn't place in Texas or got really low on their rank list. Almost like the schools ranked them low because they thought they wouldn't go there.

Yeah, this kind of worries me a bit. Several people who ended up at really good schools didn't place in Texas or got really low on their rank list. Almost like the schools ranked them low because they thought they wouldn't go there.

Although at the same time, one interviewer who told me that patted me on the back on my way out the door and said she would give me a favorable recommendation to the adcom?!? Something fishy is going on here- I was also told I have an "outstanding academic history and MCAT score"- 4.0 with 27S, that's a regular run of the mill MCAT score, nothing to write home about, yet I felt I was worshipped like a god at my TX interviews?!?:confused:

Originally posted by Mike59
Although at the same time, one interviewer who told me that patted me on the back on my way out the door and said she would give me a favorable recommendation to the adcom?!? Something fishy is going on here- I was also told I have an "outstanding academic history and MCAT score"- 4.0 with 27S, that's a regular run of the mill MCAT score, nothing to write home about, yet I felt I was worshipped like a god at my TX interviews?!?:confused:
yeah, it isn't all adding up to me, but I am just going to go with what I want when ranking and hopefully my first choice will pull through for me because I am not too excited about the other schools. but I will make the best of whatever happens.

Anybody get a recent e-mail from TMDSAS regarding posting your final preferences?

I posted my preferences a few weeks ago so I was surprised to get this e-mail today:

The deadline for recording your final preferences for medical school
for the admissions match is Wednesday, January 15, 2003. To be eligible
for the match you must enter your preference even if you interviewed at
only one school. Only the schools at which you interviewed should be
listed on the preference list. Do not enter a preference for a school at
which you did not interview.
The match results will be posted at midnight February 1, 2003 on the
same page that you enter your preferences. Log in with your Personal ID
number and password. Click on the "Additional Information" link if the
School Matched is blank.
Good luck.

Is this a blanket e-mail or is their system having a problem saving my preferences?

I got that e-mail too and I posted my rankings a while ago.

Yeah...last year I had good stats (nothing exceptional, but decent), and I didn't match anywhere on Feb 1 (interviewed everywhere but A&M and Tech). My premed advisor told me that the TX schools commonly do that if you're well qualified AND you show that you have no interest in going to a particular school. Unfortunately, I had my first interview with Baylor, was really impressed, and didn't really like any schools after that. Galveston and San Antonio asked me if I'd go to their schools over Baylor if I got in to Baylor, and I guess I wasn't convincing enough in trying to answer them creatively without lying. Oh well....

Members don't see this ad :)
in the words of Missy Eliot:

buh-bumpa-bump-bump

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
in the words of Missy Eliot:

buh-bumpa-bump-bump
cute :D

I'll post my rankings on Thursday if people are curious to see how others ranked the schools. Good idea, or no?

I had a feeling that this thread needed a good bumpin, only to find that I was beaten to the punch. Jolly good play fellas. :D

Anybody else get a phone call from Galveston yesterday? I got home from work and there was a message from someone at UTMB offering to talk with me about any questions I might have concerning their program and the impending match. Then, after some rambling, she says the main reason for this call is . . . and then my machine cut her off. My rankings are already finalized, but I was just wondering if anyone recieved a similar call, and if so, what Galveston had to say. Only 2 weeks to go.

Originally posted by whitesoxfan
Anybody else get a phone call from Galveston yesterday? I got home from work and there was a message from someone at UTMB offering to talk with me about any questions I might have concerning their program and the impending match. Then, after some rambling, she says the main reason for this call is . . . and then my machine cut her off. My rankings are already finalized, but I was just wondering if anyone recieved a similar call, and if so, what Galveston had to say. Only 2 weeks to go.

WOAH! That's bizzare! This has been one strange app cycle, I really don't know what's going through the heads of these adcoms to be calling up people before match day (I wish one of the schools would phone me!!)

Since things are so crazy, I think I may pick up the phone and ask UT Southwestern if they had any last minute questions about me before the impending ranking:laugh: :D

Anybody else get a phone call from Galveston yesterday?

Yep....I received that same phone call about 5ish yesterday. The gal I spoke with basically called to see if I had any questions and to make sure I ranked my schools before deadline. Don't worry Wsoxfan, you didn't miss much :D :D

Originally posted by Dr. Hugh Hefner
Yep....I received that same phone call about 5ish yesterday. The gal I spoke with basically called to see if I had any questions and to make sure I ranked my schools before deadline. Don't worry Wsoxfan, you didn't miss much :D :D
Yeah, they probably were just getting ready to give you their email address. I got the same message on my machine and they just were giving you a way to contact them if you needed to.

Hi,
It's only 2 wks before the match date so I'm going nuts too...

My question: Has anyone else interviewed at Baylor and not heard yet? I know they send out acceptances immediately, but what about waitlists or rejection letters? Does anybody know about the latter 2 dates?

Thanks!!!

Any of you rank TCOM first on your list of preferences? If so, email privately and I will help answer any questions you might have.

[email protected]

choppa style, chop chop, choppa style...bumpa style, bump bump

Originally posted by vikvaz
choppa style, chop chop, choppa style...bumpa style, bump bump
yes? you rang?

I am new to this forum. I was just wondering if anybody can walk me through how exactly the match works. Like everyone else I am on pins and needles waiting for Feb 1st.

I am new to this forum. I was just wondering if anybody can walk me through how exactly the match works. Like everyone else I am on pins and needles waiting for Feb 1st.

You rank schools...

Schools rank applicants...

Computer matches you with the highest possible school.

Example:

Tom's List:
1. UT-San Anton
2. UTMB
3. Southwestern

Susie's List:
1. Southwestern
2. San Antonio
3. UTMB

Schools have applicants ranked from 1 to X.

If Tom's name exists in the top 200 of San Antonio's List then he is accepted there. Now, lets say he also was on the first 200 of Southwestern's list, then he is crossed off there and computer then checks if Susie is in the first 200 of the new list for Southwestern.

For more details go to the UT system application site and read up on the match.

Oh yeah. Feb 1st is a Saturday. I somehow doubt someone in Austin will actually sit up till midnight and then "release" the info at that time on a friday night. Check the site early (say 7ish) on that Friday night. I knew my fate around that time last year

Good luck

When did you receive a letter from the school you were accepted? I heard some people get it before the match day....

Originally posted by drjacob
When did you receive a letter from the school you were accepted? I heard some people get it before the match day....

Last year UT-Houston sent out their letters earlier than usual so some people received them before the match date.

Did anyone else get a letter from UT Houston asking you to submit all your financial aid info? I was just curious to see if everyone who interviewed there got one.

yeah i got one of those financial aid letters. that official-looking envelope got my hopes all up only to crash em down

hey tx premeds,

I was wondering if I could use my personal statement I wrote for the amcas for the texas applications? I don't have to write a new one do I? If so, that will suck.

yeah i used the same one for both.

Originally posted by SJP
Did anyone else get a letter from UT Houston asking you to submit all your financial aid info? I was just curious to see if everyone who interviewed there got one.

I didn't :(

i called the school when i got the letter, and the lady said that the people who checked "yes" on some paper about financial aid given to us at interviews were the people who recieved the letters. if you didnt check "yes", i'm assuming you didnt get a letter...

Anyone know when Baylor sends out mass accepts/rejects?

got this as a forward the other day. thought I would put it out there for all the other displaced Texans........

Real Texans

When you're from Texas, people that you meet ask you questions like, Do you have any cows?; Do you have horses?; Bet you got a bunch of guns, eh? They all want to know if you've been to Southfork. They watched Dallas.

Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast, and the Red River and the Rio Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You'll get it maybe after a second, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever
stir any feelings in you?

In every man, woman and child on this little rock the Good Lord put us on, there is a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride in a pickup. There is some bit of Texas in everyone. Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, Wow...so you're from Iowa? Cool, tell me about it? Do you know why? Because there's no place like Texas.

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing
thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of freedom.

We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes. John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas.

Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Ana at San Jacinto. Texas is Juneteenth and Texas Independence Day. Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest. Texas is breathtaking mountains in Big Bend. Texas is shiny skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas.

Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork. Texas is Mexican food like nowhere in the world, even Mexico. Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Bass Hall, and the Astrodome. Texas is larger-than-life legends like Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Waylon Jennings, Janis Joplin, ZZ Top, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan, Denton Cooley and Michael DeBakey, Sam Rayburn, George Bush, Lyndon B. Johnson, and George W. Bush.

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq.

Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops. Texas is skies
blackened with doves, and fields full of deer. Texas is a place where cities shut down for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football, and NIOSA River Parade in San Antonio. Texas is ocean beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains and prairies, and modern cities. If it isn't in Texas, you don't need it.

No one does anything bigger or better than it's done in Texas.

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its
flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland, or California, or Maine, and your state flag, whatever it is, goes at 17. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in Longview at 20 feet, the Lone Star flies at the same height - 20 feet. Do you know why? Because we rate being a Texan as high as being an American down here.

Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the
capitol building in Washington, D.C. and we can divide our state into five states if we want to! We included these things in as part of the deal when we came on. That's the best part right there.

Can'T........LeT.......ThreaD.........Die......................

*moonwalks*

this thread is my baby. you're right, it can't die.

this thread is my baby. you're right, it can't die.
just come back and bump it up in May or so. but next years class will probably try and get cute by creating a Texas Pre-Meds 2004 thread.

can you believe next years app will already be out next month? dang!

i'll just keep it going now:

So, for those of you who got in: are you guys feeling as little motivation to study, work, or do basically anything at all for the next 6 months?? Not only am I lazy as hell, but it feels so strange to have nothing to aim for anymore...not to mention the fact that I looked over my courseload for next year, and I'm beginning to grow a little nervous...

*runs away to put on deoderant*

I dont want to do ANYTHING!!!!!

Of course, I don't have that choice. In a few months I am going to be moving from San antonio to Lubbock so I need to start getting things in order. My husband is still taking classes at UTSA, I have a 5 year old in kindergarten and a 2 year old in day care. Before we can even begin to make plans to move we have to sell our house and that means that I have to get all of the repair work done very soon! I am really excited about moving, of course thats mostly because I will be starting med school in August, but I'm also really nervous about it. I'm really going to hate leaving my house and yard for a small apartment. At least Lubbock has a Barnes and Noble which is where I really leave anyway.

As far as being nervous about classes, I dont think it has really hit me yet. All I have received from the school so far was a letter of acceptance and a form to sign saying that I accepted the seat. I'M READY FOR MORE INFO!!!! I'm ready to buy books and lecture packets and what i really really really want is a t-shirt with the school logo on it!! I know that sounds dorky but I need something to hold to make it real. Soon enough I know. I have waited this long to be in so I guess that a few more months shouldn't matter.

Hey, is anyone on here in lubbock who would know how i could get a shirt from the school? I haven't been able to find the health science center merchandise on line.

thanks,
Emily

Resurrecting the old thread. Commence, talk, enjoy! :)

anyone else having problems finding a roommate?

Anyone started? Submitted? completed? Any thoughts? Want to discuss?

Pickle Salt--great thread, btw! :D

Originally posted by rjhtamu
Resurrecting the old thread. Commence, talk, enjoy! :)

Yeeeehaw! Good to see this thread back at the top:D

anyone else having problems finding a roommate?

Wouldn't it be better to try and room with someone in the 2nd semester or 2nd year? I don't think I am willing to throw myself to the mercy of the roommate market before testing the medschool waters!;)

Originally posted by spumoni620
Anyone started? Submitted? completed? Any thoughts? Want to discuss?

I just started the TMDSAS this morning. It sure is different from AMCAS! They ask a lot of weird questions. I can't believe they ask what other schools you are applying to.

Should we turn this into the TMDSAS Help Thread or just piggy back on the 2004 AMCAS Help Thread? I have a lot of questions. How is yours coming along?