Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HI all, only heard from TCOM and UTH so far.

I thought the TCOM app was very thorough, but it was one of the first ones I tackled, so maybe that helped.

Having trouble with the Baylor essay tho... so open-ended! Don't know if I should keep it short for the adcoms or longer since they give us a 2000 word limit. Also trying not to repeat info in the AMCAS essay...sigh...

T

Members don't see this ad.

I FINALLY finished the TCOM secondary!! It wasn't so bad once I started but damn, i was NOT looking forward to doing it. My first essay was really short though....(and i'm not one of those perfect people that thinks 5 pages is too short...when i say SHORT, i mean short...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent heard from UTH yet and I submitted on June 12th, should I just keep waiting?

I have not heard from anyone yet either. Not to worry though, My friend, whom is a MS2 at UTSA, had all his stuff in ASAP and didn't get invites untill late August.

Originally posted by trauma_junky
I have not heard from anyone yet either. Not to worry though, My friend, whom is a MS2 at UTSA, had all his stuff in ASAP and didn't get invites untill late August.

From my experience last year, this sounds completely normal. Don't expect the invites to start rolling in until mid to late August for those that submitted TMDSAS in early May. The first interview dates for most of the schools are usually for late August/early Sept.

Last year, the 3rd week of August was when UTH and UTMB began their interviews. UTSA and Tech were not far behind. Of all the Texas schools, you guys are going to be impressed with Southwestern's efficiency and organization. Their system of setting up interviews is honed to perfection; their first dates of interview are in mid-Sept., I believe.

When are the latest interview dates?

I just got a call from TCOM and scheduled an interview for 8/14. Does that mean they've been scheduling before receiving secondaries? B/C I JUST turned in my secondary yesterday...

Think I'm going to puke if I don't get an invite soon.:mad:

Don't worry, it's still July. Interview season hasn't even started yet.

Just got a packet in the mail from UTMB - I am going to be interviewing on Aug 22nd. I think i am going to get tired interviewing on back to back days (TAMU-7th TCOM-8th UT-Houston-21st UTMB-22nd)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's hard not to worry when there are people here whom already have 4 interviews lined up. Congrats and good luck guys.

trauma, hang in there. Have you confirmed with TMDSAS that they sent all your stuff out? Have you sent the signature pages, photos. $$ for secondaries, and all that good stuff? Just keep checking that e-mail...I'm sure you'll get an interview soon.

But in other news.....I finally heard from UT Houston!! Wow, my first interview invite!!!! I got an e-mail today...I am interviewing on the 28th at 7:45 a.m. :eek: Anyone else interviewing on that date? And is anyone else planning on going to the "mixer" the night before? And it's best to stay with a student, right? Help...I'm so new to all this! Diane (aka pickle salt), or anyone else...advice on uth?

Oh and rjhtamu--thanks for your answer to the q's i had about baylor. i sent that thing out last week...i guess i was just worried b/c the essay was so open ended (spec. experiences, difficulties, etc. that sort of thing.) yeah, it will be interesting living in h-town but i guess i'll get a sneak peak when i go there next month. can't be that different from dallas, can it? :) (sarcasm alert = red)

so alrighty...back to my secondaries....

Got the UTMB invite today for the Aug 22nd interview. Hope to see some fellow SDNers there!

It was snailmail, BTW

T

spumoni620

Ya everything was done in early June and then transmitted on 6/18. I thought you had to wait untill the TMDSAS was transmitted before submitting secondarys. So, all were done not long after that.

I'm just impatient :D

hey i got mine from UTMB today too for the 22nd! yea, i'm worried bout having back to back since Houston's on the 21st but i'm def not complaining.

for all that haven't heard, seriously, don't worry. a friend of mine submitted everything pretty much around the same time as i did and she's just now hearing from Houston even tho I heard a while back. who knows how they're going bout processing all this stuff, but be patient and i'm sure everything'll be great..and look on the bright side, you'll have all of us SDN peeps giving you the heads up bout how OUR interviews went so you'll be even better prepared (hopefully)

That Girl Farah

Thanks for the reassurance! I just have a lot riding on this application cylce (married with a son, getting older, need to start making real money sometime soon, ...retirment :laugh: ) I will for sure hit up for the 411 about the DL on interviews (thought I would convert to hip hop vernacular).

Thanks again!

Got news from Galveston today...interviewing on the 15th! So soon....:eek:

Anyone else scheduled for the 15th?

Originally posted by Sparkles
When are the latest interview dates?
interviews go through december. some schools even have a date or two in January

Originally posted by spumoni620
But in other news.....I finally heard from UT Houston!! Wow, my first interview invite!!!! I got an e-mail today...I am interviewing on the 28th at 7:45 a.m. :eek: Anyone else interviewing on that date? And is anyone else planning on going to the "mixer" the night before? And it's best to stay with a student, right? Help...I'm so new to all this! Diane (aka pickle salt), or anyone else...advice on uth?
hehe, 7:45am won't be so early when you are a third year. I think Tech may be worse at what time you have to be there, I just remember it being REALLY cold and the crack of dawn, and I was usually at work every morning by 7am a that time. and houston feeds you great bagels for breakfast. :)

staying with a student: its really up to you. I stayed with students when I knew people and stayed in hotels otherwise. if you are worried about going out, I would say stay with a student (except Baylor, they do a good job of going out the night after the interview) I personally didn't want to feel like I was impossing on someone and wanted to sleep in a real bed so I went with hotels except in Houston and SAn Antonio. the schools make a point of marketing their students to you on interview day, so you will have more than enough time to talk with them on interview day. in fact, by the end of interview season you will be SO sick of the "where have you gone" etc questions you ask each other all day.

mixer: I stayed with someone who had been my age at school who was a second year and she had suggested I go to the mixer. unfortunately I couldn't due to airport delays. I imagine however that mixer will be fun because it is the beginning of the year and more first years will show up.

for those of you who may have conflicts, I had my Houston and Baylor interview scheduled for the same day. I called up Houston and said I couldn't attend and they offered to let me come in January. (Houston is not known for having the nicest admissions office, but they warm up ;)) I said yes, and told them to let me know if anyone else had to cancel. turns out that happened and I interviewed a week earlier than originally scheduled.

oh, if you have questions about houston, send me an email (I hate pms) since I will be starting there this fall

so I was talking to a friend of mine about UTMB since she's visited there numerous times and is in love with their dean and she told me that if they've offerred you an interview, they're confident that you can do the work and after that, it's all about your personality during the actual interview. on the other hand, Houston offers interviews left and right w/o really evaluating you academically until after the interview.

anyone heard anything similar?

Originally posted by That Girl Farah
so I was talking to a friend of mine about UTMB since she's visited there numerous times and is in love with their dean and she told me that if they've offerred you an interview, they're confident that you can do the work and after that, it's all about your personality during the actual interview. on the other hand, Houston offers interviews left and right w/o really evaluating you academically until after the interview.

anyone heard anything similar?

UTH interviews about 50% of its in-state applicants. I dont have any stats on UTMB though.

Originally posted by seaworthc

oh, if you have questions about houston, send me an email (I hate pms) since I will be starting there this fall

Seaworthc, thanks so much for your detailed post! very helpful. i think i'll take you up on your offer as my interview draws nearer ;)

Just wanted to say that I am currently in the Pre-Entry Program for UT-Houston's med school, so if anyone who will be joining me in Houston in August has questions, feel free to ask! Enjoy your last few weeks of freedom!!!

UT-Houston is a great school but one thing reallllly sucks about it: the traffic. Be SURE to leave wherever you're coming from at least a half hour earlier than you think you should leave because the sheer number of people driving at that time of morning is insane. Oh and bring cash cause they make you pay like ten bucks to park there all day. And wear comfortable shoes because you might have to walk all over the TMC. They have good food for lunch.

UTMB is also a great school and traffic isnt a problem at all (unless you're driving in from Houston). The people there are really laid-back and nice and are all very hardcore about their problem-based learning curriculum. I thought it was interesting but their USMLE pass rates are questionable. Dont wear much makeup or do your hair all nice because you walk alot and the humidity pretty much craps everything up.

UT San Antonio (where i go to school) is the greatest school of them all. :) The area is the most beautiful part of San Antonio, where the hill country begins, and traffic isnt too bad at all, unless you're driving in from another part of town. The interviews are pretty laid-back, and our admissions dean, Dr. Jones, is the sweetest, funniest guy in the world. If any of you guys wanna meet up with me (Diane) during a break on your interview day, i'd be happy to set up a time that we could talk about stuff or answer any questions.

and i just found out that bob hope died and now i'm sad and cant type anymore.

My brother went to UTSA. He too, was very fond of Dr. Jones. SA is my back up (I will apply there) if not accepted in to TT's Early Decision Program.

Like you, I won't go near Houston becase of the traffic/parking issues. I also have a family and want to have time with them :)

Does anyone know of anyone that interviewed late(Oct-Dec.) in the Texas System and was admitted to a school?

Does anyone know of anyone that interviewed late(Oct-Dec.) in the Texas System and was admitted to a school?
YES! October is not late at all. Remember some people won't even get their apps in till the deadline, Sep. 30th.

Due to some hurricanes, I rescheduled 2 interviews for November and choose to schedule another in December so it would fit my schedule better. I personally didn't get my app in till mid-July and didn't had some intially scheduled in October. (1 month for TMDSAS to process, another month for the school to get to my app, another month after I got the interivew notification) Don't sweat it since you are ranked after you interview and their are no rolling admissions. Yeah it probably isn't that great if you don't get ANY interview invites till December, but I did meet many students along the way who only got invited to interview at one school, and still got in.

Seaworth,

I'm just itching for an interview. I am so worried since I have not got an invite yet. Just wondering if anyone got an invite in late August or Sept was admitted.

Seaworth,

I'm just itching for an interview. I am so worried since I have not got an invite yet. Just wondering if anyone got an invite in late August or Sept was admitted.
oops, meant to say I didn't get some invites till october, and now that I think about it, one was for November or later (they let people coming in from out of state pick a date at some schools)

honestly, I felt like I could have had my pick of schools if that helps at all even though I didn't get some interviews till october/november and I did end up at my first choice school. I wish you the best.

Originally posted by dustin04ag
Just got a packet in the mail from UTMB - I am going to be interviewing on Aug 22nd. I think i am going to get tired interviewing on back to back days (TAMU-7th TCOM-8th UT-Houston-21st UTMB-22nd) [/QUOTE

dustin, i have tamu the 7th, UTH the 22nd, and UTMB on the 22nd also. get excited! haha

KBK- congrats... Another aggie in tha house. I swear the aggies are taking over this post. What is your major? Do i know you?

dustin-
the aggies really are taking over! Im genetics, and I might know you- there was a dustin in my princeton review class last summer. could that be you by chance?

that be me, i was a summer MCATer and took PR..... who is this? hum? Man this aggie connection thing is just plain freaky. Good luck with all those interviews!

Also... what are you guys doing to prepare for all your interviews... besides looking at the interview reviews on here.

dustin-
i think i know ya then. pretty cool what a small world it really is. i dont really know what to do to prep for my interviews, but are you going to the interview workshop on the 31st? have u heard from san antonio? i was wondering about them.
kristin

Hey kristin,

Yeah i am going to the OPSA thing on Thursday too... so i guess i will run into you there. I havent heard from UTSA and i was really hoping to by the end of this week. I really have no idea why they are not on the ball. I thought that Tech and SW were the only schools to start interviews late. hum?

Anybody else know about UTSA's or Techs first interview date?

Well, I talked to UTSA and they will be mailing out invites at the end of this week.

Umm... am I the only Longhorn here??? :horns: :clap:

As far as prepping for interviews, I found that UTMB has a pretty lengthy bit of info on their PBL curriculum style. Really worth looking at. (Never know if it might come up at interview)

I'm a little concerned about being up-to-date on the Healthcare issues. Don't know just how deeply I need to understand it. Yeah, I've read news articles, etc. Is that good enough?

Theresa:horns:

I'm currently a second year at UTMB. UTMB USMLE scores have actually improved tremendously. A few years ago they were averaging about 208-209. Last year's second years pulled it up to about 215. I just spoke to the Dean of Student Affairs and this year's average was approximately 230 when 173 or so scores were in. Highest score: 280. Most frequent two-digit score: 99. Twenty four students had achieved 99. 111 students of those 173 had 90 or above. I also have to say that perhaps the pass rates have been skewed a little low because UTMB takes several high-risk URMs. URMs that scored low 20's, even below 20 on the MCAT.

Thanks for that info about UTMB. I was wondering, how do we find out about the USMLE scores for specific schools (what is the scale anyway?) and where their students match for residency?

Thanks,
T

UTMB's 2003 match list http://www.utmb.edu/PDFs/Match_2003.pdf

Knowing about the vast improvement in USMLE scores the past 2 years, I'd say that match results will be much better beginning with the class of 2004. The USMLE score range for this year has been 144-288. National average is 216-217. No one really knows how they figure it all out, but a two digit 99 is approximately a 243, and a 90 is approximately a 220. The two-digit scores are not percentiles, they are like grades like you would get on an exam. Passing is a two-digit score of 75 and that is approximately 178-183. I'm not exactly sure on that, but I know I'm not way off. To find out the USMLE stats of schools you usually have to ask. They usually don't report it on their website or anything like that. I'd also like to add that the UTMB curriculum is constantly being refined. It was only put in place a few years ago. At first it didn't make much of a difference in USMLE scores, but now it really has.

Hey Theresa, I'm a LONGHORN too!

Yea, I'm stressing over healthcare issues as well. I know the basics by what I read and see on the news but I dunno how much of a real lengthy convo I could have about any of them.

Trauma, thanks for the info on UTSA invites. Anyone know about Tech?

just think about the 'hot' topics that are all over the news. Like when I interviewed 2 years ago it was stem cell research. And yes I was asked about it. Right now I'd say designer babies have been in the news, and another really prominent topic has been the separation of siamese twins. Especially with what happened to the Iranian sisters. There have been a lot of new articles regarding the ethics behind that surgery. Basic questions would just be what are your thoughts about it. And if you were a neurosurgeon, what would you do?

also focus on obesity in children in your research. i brought it up many times in interviews and my interviewers were extremely interested in talking about it.

for those of you that have a UTMB interview, did you receive an email reply back when you confirmed? i didnt get one and now i'm paranoid they didn't get my email

Now that you mention it, i haven't gotten a confirmation either! But I did get a confirmation for the "night before" social. Hmmm...

Has anyone gotten interviews at Baylor yet? I was wondering when they start rolling those out if you aren't EDP.

T

Originally posted by TheresaW
Now that you mention it, i haven't gotten a confirmation either! But I did get a confirmation for the "night before" social. Hmmm...

Has anyone gotten interviews at Baylor yet? I was wondering when they start rolling those out if you aren't EDP.

T

Havent heard anything from Baylor yet.