Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Gleevec
Havent heard anything from Baylor yet.
last year the first interview was september 13th. then they go on Fridays apprx. every other week through February. I was notified to the day an exact month before my interview at the end of august. and actually, it was only about 2-3 weeks after my amcas was processed, good turn around time. then again, I submitted my secondary while waiting for amcas to send out my primary. don't expect anything till mid-august for the first bunch. they interview about 60 at a time.

Members don't see this ad.

Houston's 2003 match list

FYI - when you show up on interview day, all schools should supply you with their last year's match list in the folder of crap that you get.

Heard from San Antonio today...interview on the 18th. Now I have back to back interviews too...oh well, i'm not complaining i guess :) good thing this is all before school starts, or it will be tough keeping a decent gpa...

so pickle salt, can you dish on the utsa interview experience? (p.s. i'll pm you about meeting up there on the 18th! :) )

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy Texas premeds,

Anyone know how long the schools take to process your file? TMDSAS said their initial processing /sent to school date was 7/24 for my file. When should I be expecting to hear from them?? getting a little anxious here. I wish I had read this thread earlier, lots of great info. My only regret is that I haven't applied to ALL Texas schools, only two (UTSW and UTH) :( ... this will really slim down my chances.

hey texas1111,
mine was processed on 7/9 and i just started hearing last week and this week.
you can still add schools to your app. just have to send in extra pictures and $10/school (i think??). call or e-mail the tx ppl--they are super-prompt (i sent them an e-mail update and they got back to me in 3 hours). definitely try to apply to all as this will max your chances.

good luck!

Cangrats and Good luck to you guys who have gotten interviews in Texas.

I am curious does if it matter if you interview earlier or late in Texas? Are the first round interviewees more desirable than people who interview latter in the game (even though you application was "sent out" to the TMDSAS medical schools at the same time as the other applicants)???

depends on your stats. if you're a very competitive applicant, it doesn't matter as much.

Good to hear that UTSA's getting on it! Although, i havent heard anything from them.

Spumoni, did they contact you by email or mail?

And texas, I def agree w/what spumoni said before. You should try and contact TMDSAS and add more schools. Every pre med advisor I've had since forever has told me to apply to every school to maximize my chances. But, I also know people who, unless they get into the school of their choice, will reapply so if you really have your heart set on only those two schools, then I WOULD NOT add more schools. If you were to reject other med schools and apply again to those schools, I have a feeling your chances would be really low considering you rejected them the first time around. That's just an opinion I've heard. Not sure how true it is...

Tech is having "computer/softwasre issues". Apparently they are on a new system (surely internally designed) and cannot get it to work. They still plan to have first round on 27th/28th, however, the invites may not go out for another 2 weeks +pissed+

Yikes, that's sort of last minute, isn't it? I mean if tt sends out the invites on the 16th (2 weeks) that barely gives you a week to prepare (assuming everyone gets the invites 4 days after they send it out). Oh well. dont' worry thackl, you're probably the first scheduled recipient of the invite ;)

P.S. Farah, I got the invite by snail mail only. It was dated july 24.

Thanks, Spunmoni and Farah, for your advice.
Since this is the first time I'm applying, and I'm not very flexible locationwise (I live in Dallas, and I HATE moving) this year, I'm going to take a chance. Farah, I am one of those that will reapply if I don't get in this year. Surprisingly my premed advisor didn't say anything against me only applying to two schools. Maybe she just didn't care...
thackl, Do you live in Lubbock? I used to live there. TT is nice.

Originally posted by spumoni620
Yikes, that's sort of last minute, isn't it? I mean if tt sends out the invites on the 16th (2 weeks) that barely gives you a week to prepare (assuming everyone gets the invites 4 days after they send it out). Oh well. dont' worry thackl, you're probably the first scheduled recipient of the invite ;)

Thanks. I'm not pleased, but since it's the only place I'm applying to..........

Question? On interviews, do people bring a portfolio. I just saw on some thread that it was optional. If so... what would it contain? Just wanted to know what ya'll thought about that! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! congrats on all the interview invites. i was wondering if anyone has received any in the last week? good luck!

Originally posted by Giving My .02
Question? On interviews, do people bring a portfolio. I just saw on some thread that it was optional. If so... what would it contain? Just wanted to know what ya'll thought about that! Thanks

The schools will give you a folder with info about the school as well as your schedule for the day (i can't remember a school that didn't) However, they don't give you a pen and scratchpaper and most people I saw (myself included) had a portfolio. You don't need one but if you have some stuff you want to show in the interview (research, papers, etc) a portfolio is nice to have.

ahhh, pre-interview jitters! My first interview is in 2 days. I thought I was fine and then it just hit me today! :eek:

T

you'll be fine theresa, just let yourself shine! good luck!

I am new to here, but I was wondering are we, as Texas applicants going to keep this thread going or the TEXAS Med Schools Entering Class 2004 Applicant Thread. Both are almost the same thing, except that this one has information from last years application class.

Also, congrats to everyone with upcoming interviews. I know ya'll will do well.

The 2004 thread started out as an interviews-only thread...this thread was supposed to be for everything else, i guess.

my vote is for to keep this one--it's got some golden information on it, the element of nostalgia...and as they say, we've got to keep things big in true texas-style...

hey spumoni, i don't mean to be like trailing you or give u that impression at all...i was just wondering if you got any of my replies or my PM at all... best of luck with apps

Good luck to people with interviews this week!

TAMU people interviewing on the 7th (tomorrow! :eek: ) ..let us know how it goes!

p.s. echostation i sent you a pm

EDIT: Duh, I forgot--GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!! :clap: :clap:

Good luck to everyone. I think Texas A&M and TCOM have interviews on the 7th from what people have posted. I know everyone will do well. Tell us how it went!!!!

As for previous posts, I don't think U-T SW has contacted anyone yet for interviews. It seems to me like they are one of the last schools in Texas to send out interview invites. I only think U-T SA has only sent out one round of invites (snail mail). They probably should be sending another one this week, if they are like the other schools.

Yo Dustin04!

Looks like i'll be seein' ya tomorrow at TX A&M....just kinda saw your email on the reminder...anybody else comin' with us?

:p

Hey I've forgotten to ask...is ANYBODY here from UT Arlington?
and Dustin, and the rest of you Aggies, how is a Mav supposed to compete?

ttyl:oops: :clap:

good luck to everyone with the interviews tomorrow. let us how they went and be sure to post on the Interview Feedback!

Good luck to everyone interviewing! You'll be starting school before you know it. I can't believe it was already a year ago that I was in your shoes, and now I'm starting gross anatomy tomorrow!

Anyone from last year remember when Baylor and UTSW start sending out their interview requests? The wait is killing me! :p

Originally posted by Gleevec
Anyone from last year remember when Baylor and UTSW start sending out their interview requests? The wait is killing me! :p
baylor sends them out exactly a month ahead of time. last year their first interview date was 9/13 so you probably have a couple more days to go before people start hearing anything.

look on UTSW's site for their interview schedule, i think they start interviewing about the same time

I'm feeling repetitive here with so many Texas threads! "what are we going to do tonight? Same thing we do every night. Plan to take over the world!!!"

So Baylor has sent out the first round of invites. :clap: Gleevec, you are one of the invitees right?

Woohoo!
T

ps-will post for TCOM on interview feedback shortly!

Yup, apparently Baylor has started sending out interview invites. Im sure your TCOM interview was fantastic TheresaW!! :clap: :clap: =)

Originally posted by TheresaW
I'm feeling repetitive here with so many Texas threads! "what are we going to do tonight? Same thing we do every night. Plan to take over the world!!!"

So Baylor has sent out the first round of invites. :clap: Gleevec, you are one of the invitees right?

Woohoo!
T

ps-will post for TCOM on interview feedback shortly!

congrats on the baylor interviews!

Hey there everybody! I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself; I've been reading SDN for awhile now, but finally got around to actually registering and whatnot. :)

I'm currently going to UT in Austin, any other longhorns out there? I've got two years to go in Austin, and will be taking the MCAT in April. My GPA's around 3.5, but hopefully I'll be making all A's this semester (yeah, right). I wanted to keep this first post short and sweet, so good luck to everybody, whatever state of application you're currently in!

Hey guys, had a quick question for everyone/anyone: I had my stuff all sent in fairly early, the same as a friend of mine. I had 1 first round interview, he has scheduled 5. How do the schools process applications? I guess what I am trying to ask is: are people passed over for interviews only temporarily(so they could possibly get an interview at a later date), or is it a one shot deal? I am not in a panic, just kinda curious. Thanks for the help.

Many schools rank applications and put the top ones in thier first round. They do not appear to have a common system. For some it is all by numbers, other look a bit deeper.

bump...i know, i'm kinda attached to this thread with its legend status and all...besides, it's nice to have 2 things to check out for extra procrastination...:D

*sigh*

nice to see my thread still gasping for breath :)

Why do well-qualified Texas medical school applicants apply to TCOM in addition to all of the MD schools when your interest is in MAINLY in allopathic medicine?

In my opinion...

There are seven schools in the Texas application. Six are MD and the other is a DO. To add schools after your first one is only $10. So it only costs $10 so why not give the school a chance.

Secondly, I know many people that have placed TCOM as their first choice even though they had several other interviews. TCOM is a great school that prepares a lot of people who want to go into rural or primary care medicine. They have a rural track for applicants. Texas is a big state and many people grow up in small towns. It is not that MD's don't practice in this small rural environment, but the DO's are fulfilling the need we have for these types of physicians.

I think some people's decision to apply to TCOM is not always based on numbers. I know well qualified people that have decided to attend it's medical school. I think people decide to go there based on enviroment.

I wouldn't consider you applying there if you mind the stereotype. I wouldn't want you to apply there if you didn't think you could give it a chance. However, I think it is a great school and is respected here in Texas.

That is my .02. Think what you want, but that is my opinion.

As for myself, I have interviewed there and at Galveston. I still have three more interviews so far scheduled (hopefully more to come) so I am not defending it because it is the only school to offer me an interview thus far.

I too know several people who ended up ranking TCOM first after their interviews, many of them actually completely flipflopping it and Southwestern (they had had SW first and TCOM last before interviews.) A lot of people just discount it as second rate because of prejudices with DO schools when in fact it is a great school, even ranked by US news as one of the best med schools in the country for primary care.

I saw that this classic post has been slipping and i am determined to get it back to the top.

So a run down on UT-Houston interview:
The social before kinda sucked... it was outside and HOT!!! There was one waiter to about 40 of us. So then the food came out cold and it took about 40 min. to get a beer. So i would say skip it and just rest up. The day was awesome.... really impressed me. I was lost and wondering but everyone tried to help me out and there wasnt a single person that didnt wish me good luck. Great lunch and the interviewers really were laid back and tried to sell the school and get to know you. Over all ... it was awesome and for sure one of my top choices.

UTMB:
This one fell to the bottom of my list. I would hardly call the social a social at all. I didnt even get to talk to a medical student at it. It wasnt even at a bar or someplace cool... but at the student center. It was so lame that all of the people from A&M peaced out of there and went to the bars. Speaking of.... the night life on the island is worse than College Station. Even the students will tell you. Most of them get the hell outta there and go to Houston every weekend anyways. My interviewers were also really bad. One was complaining to me about the use of clinicians in the PBL classes. I just had a really bad experience. It also seemed like they were constantly trying to defend their curriculum. I am guessing this is because their USMLE scores were in the crapper a few years ago. They are also the only school that didnt tell the stats of their entering class.... makes me feel that they have something to hide. It also didnt help that the student panel was hating on Texas A&M... considering half of the interviewees were Aggies.

thats just me..

I hope to me some more of you SDNers at San Antonio on Monday!!!

Good luck with the interviews guys.

dustin04ag

When was the UT-H interview over? Just wondering.

dustin04ag

When was the UT-H interview over? Just wondering.

Depends, they give you an interview schedule at the beginning. I was done at noon basically, but you could have an interview later in the afternoon. The letter they send says dont plan on leaving before 5, but the latest interview that I knew of on that day was before 2.

Thanks Gleevec!

Also, bring 9 bucks for parking.

Furthermore, DONT go on any tours outside of the MSB (the main building) until your interviews are done. Its farking hot and you will get all sweaty if you go check out THC or MDA, Hermann could be alright though. Defiinitely go on the tours, just go after your interviews are complete.

If I have a relatively lower than average GPA (still above 3.0)and just took the Aug. MCAT....how good are my chances at getting an interview if I turn in everything within the next two weeks ....I'm still trying to track down one of my letters of rec.

See ya tomorrow Dustin!

Originally posted by ndi_amaka
If I have a relatively lower than average GPA (still above 3.0)and just took the Aug. MCAT....how good are my chances at getting an interview if I turn in everything within the next two weeks ....I'm still trying to track down one of my letters of rec.

It will hurt you applying with the August MCAT, but turn everything in ASAP. Don't wait for your scores b/c some schools offer interviews until their interview sessions are filled. Everyone who waits will be at a disadvantage because that is when everyone turns everything in at once. If you have everything else you have great chances. That depends on your MCAT, LOR, research, experiences, etc.

Just my .02