Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it's funny how whatever I say seems to strike you poorly. Perchance it has something to do with, in the words on Mel Brooks in High Anxiety "peepee" envy? Hmmm?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by mightymouseal
it's funny how whatever I say seems to strike you poorly. Perchance it has something to do with, in the words on Mel Brooks in High Anxiety "peepee" envy? Hmmm?

That's a negative. The fact is you are really annoying and don't really post anything of use to anyone. Read the other posts going around about you and Longhorn being on a short leash. I dont know if you jacked his account or not, but either way you are pissing off a ton of people on this forum (refer to posts about mightymouseal stealing longhorn account, and banning longhorn).

The fact that you are stealing other people's accounts to post on a PREMED message board is pretty pathetic. Dont you have better things to do with your time?

So I really need to vent.
I had an interview at a certain medical school in Texas... I requested a student host, since I live an hour and a half away from the school and don't have a car. The day before flying into the area, I called the student host (I emailed her a few weeks earlier too) and she told me that though she totally forgot about me and made plans not to be at home that night, she would still give me keys to her apartment so that I have a place to stay. Sure, it seemed kinda iffy, but it sure beat getting my family to drive me there in the small hours of the morning, so I agreed.
The next day my stepfather picks me up at the airport and drives me to the house of the girl. She is not there. I call her cell, her home number, everything. MInd you, it was at the time we had agreed on the day before. So I sit in the car and wait... and wait.. and wait... for fourty-five minutes. And then I had to go home. And have my parents drive me back in early the next morning. UGHHHH!
The interview was pretty good though... the rest of the students seemed nice enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
txphiota: i just received a letter from san antonio on friday...(i was an aug mcater.) so if you haven't heard already, i bet you get something in the mail soon!

amelie,

I called the admissions office on friday and I will be interviewed! Have you heard from UTMB?

Originally posted by TXPHIOTA
amelie,

I called the admissions office on friday and I will be interviewed! Have you heard from UTMB?
what do you say when you call? I was thinking about doing this for a school.

txphiota: i have not heard from utmb or tamu yet...so no worries if you haven't heard...maybe they are a little slower with invitations? when are you going to san antonio? maybe i will see you there? :clap:

I just asked for my status when i called. i don't know what date i will be going..they said i would get a letter in the mail with the details. what about U?

Good luck to all of you getting new interviews!!

txphiota: nov 25. the week of thanksgiving :)

rjhtamu: thank you for your good wishes!!!

Do any of you know when the last interview day at Southwestern is? I finished interviewing at all the other Texas schools a while ago and still haven't heard from them. Just wandering if I should give up hope yet! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same thing Texas Girl. Except, I'm out of state and don't have much chance anyway. :(. The last interview date is December 14 for UT Southwestern

Originally posted by TexasGirl
Do any of you know when the last interview day at Southwestern is? I finished interviewing at all the other Texas schools a while ago and still haven't heard from them. Just wandering if I should give up hope yet! Thanks.
I'm in the same situation and have been wondering the same thing. Especially since meeting some people who have gotten an interview and I can't really figure out why I didn't get one, especially since I did get one at Baylor.

Does anyone else think it is weird Texas schools can see where else you are applying out of state? I wonder how they use that info. I've had someone I was interviewing with before read the list off to me.

seaworth, how do you know they know what out of state schools? and do all the texas schools know or just a few?

Originally posted by vikvaz
seaworth, how do you know they know what out of state schools? and do all the texas schools know or just a few?
because you list them on your Texas primary app. I added two more after submitting, so they don't know about those, come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't think that was weird when I filling out the app.

all TX schools know, but not all interviewers know unless it is a completely open file interview.

seaworth, what if you only listed a couple of the ones you're applying to? do they actually contact AMCAS and see what schools you applied to or do they only know about the ones on the TMDSAS application?

I'm guessing only the TMDSAS app, I expect they assume you will list all schools. They do ask you to sign something saying everything is correct to you knowledge. If you purposely left off some you knew you were applying to when submitting, it probably wasn't best, but I doubt you would get caught or reprimanded. If adding more later, I don't feel this is a necessary app update.

Have you all heard about the latest terrorist threats to Houston and the Texas Medical Center? It was on the news again last night. They told the TMC officials about the possible threat of more bombing or anthrax attacks in a hospital. What kind of rat bastard actually purposely attacks a hospital of all things?

I had no idea there were terrorist threats at the TMC! Is it a domestic group? Or a foreign one?

And why would they target a medical center???!?!?!?! :confused:

Because its called terrorism.

Actually its a fiendish target. Because you have a large concentration of people, and you simultaneously destroy the ability to respond to the victims. Since the hospital staff themselves would be affected, they would be unable to help respond to treat the terrorist victims.

Terrorism aims to attack us at our weakpoints. It is a new frightening world that we live in.

I am so excited!!!!!!!!

I just finished my previous post, and I checked my email and I found invitation to interview at Baylor!! Woo hooo.

I know a lot of you have already been there, but it is one of my top choices, and I would dearly love to attend.

I guess they liked my insightful comments about the terrorist threat. ;)

Any advice?

So,
Southwestern's last interview date is one month from today. I'm thinking it's time to give up hope in getting an interview with them. sigh. :(

CONGRATULATIONS Cabruen!!! Good luck!

New medical school in Texas:

I heard that El Paso is trying to create a four year medical school. Presently, Texas Tech 3rd and 4th years rotate down in the hospitals there. So, they want to expand it, so that it would include the 1st and 2nd years in El Paso.

This is suppose to come up in the Texas Legislative session this year.

Anyone else hear about this?

I've heard that, too. I wouldn't be surprised if a four-year school popped up in El Paso within the next few years.

Texas is experiencing a shortage in doctors, which is good news for us. Most schools are upping the number of students they accept from anywhere between 5-20 applicants this year.

I know these things by what ad com people say at the interviews i've been to.

Sometimes I wonder if it isn't the fact that we don't have enough medical schools here in Texas, but rather that we don't properly distribute the physicians that we train and have here. I imagine that cities are bursting at the seems with doctors, while there are still some counties here that have none.

Originally posted by rjhtamu
Sometimes I wonder if it isn't the fact that we don't have enough medical schools here in Texas, but rather that we don't properly distribute the physicians that we train and have here. I imagine that cities are bursting at the seems with doctors, while there are still some counties here that have none.

I think that you're right. El Paso county is a perfect example of an area that is medically underserved. I'm not sure if creating another 4-yr medical school in El Paso is a more of a response to this problem rather than a way to increase the number of medical schools and doctors in Texas. Although they have been batting this proposal around for years, I think that the new school is probably seen as a way to get more physicians practicing in the West Texas counties.

Hey all,

Am I the only applicant with decent numbers and no San Antonio interview?? I read earlier that their last interview date is in a couple of weeks, and I haven't heard diddly squat from them?!?

Are they not interviewing august mcaters yet? Or is it true that they reverse-discriminate against applicants who they feel won't attend there because of superior grades/EC's (I'm starting to believe this urban myth)??

When I interviewed at San Antonio there were students there with a wide range of scores and GPA's. Many students had interviews to all the TX schools including Baylor and SW so I don't think San Antonio omits applicants with superior EC's and stats. I would guess being an August MCAT taker might have something to do with the delayed interview request. This problem with San Antonio didn't seem to exist for the April MCAT takers (at least not on this board). Last year, San Antonio stopped interviewing students earlier than the projected month which would bias April testers. FYI, San Antonio was one of the later invites that I got. I bet you'll hear from them sooner than later. Good Luck.

I've actually been speaking with a MS-1 at Baylor and he told me several of his classmates got rejected from San Antonio. I'm guessing these were all top notch applicants, so I assume there is some truth to the story.

I'll take a rejection from San Antonio if I can get into Baylor. ;)

Which school did the students match with? I would bet they placed SW above San Antonio since they ended up at Baylor and not the other TX school they matched to. Regardless, one won't know if they were actually rejected by a school unless they placed that school as their top-pick and did not get into their top-pick. I also don't doubt students with high scores get rejected from all kinds of schools. You can't conclude that because 2-3 people at Baylor got rejected by San Antonio it was reverse discrimination. Isn't it apparent that med schools don't just admit students on the basis of stats---that's why they interview. At almost every school I've been to it seems like schools are looking for a particular type of student to fit their school--Houston seemed to favor small-town rural applicants, while SW seemed to like students who had a lot of research experience. It depends on when you apply (if you are an Aug MCAT taker you are at a disadvantage), and what takes place during the interview. San Antonio also places a lot of emphasis in the interview in why a student wants to come to San Antonio. Almost everyone I know who interviewed their was asked the question more than once. I'm sure they can read through the bull**** and it's probably a factor in offering a student acceptance. The MSAR states that the range of MCAT scores for accepted students at San Antonio for 2001 is 20-35 and GPA 2.7-4.0. I consider a 35/4.0, which is about an ave of 12 per section on the MCAT, a pretty superior score. Anything above a 34 is a great score and will get you into your choice of med schools. It would seem if someone with a 36 did not get into San Antonio in 2001 it's not because his score was too high but because of the interview/desire to attend San Antonio. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by Mike59
Hey all,

Am I the only applicant with decent numbers and no San Antonio interview?? I read earlier that their last interview date is in a couple of weeks, and I haven't heard diddly squat from them?!?

Are they not interviewing august mcaters yet? Or is it true that they reverse-discriminate against applicants who they feel won't attend there because of superior grades/EC's (I'm starting to believe this urban myth)??

When I interviewed at SA the dean of admissions said two things that may answer your questions:

1. That SA fills up their interview spots really quickly making a late interview MUCH harder to get (although this probably isnt' unique to SA)

2. He said that he had an applicant with a 3.6 and 35 mcat who was not going to be interviewed because he/she indicated in their personal statement that it was their "right to an interview" and some other arrogant things. So I believe they put a lot of emphasis on personal statements

as i, and some other people, already posted, san antonio seems to have a propensity for not interviewing a lot of qualified applicants. i applied to all the ut schools and interviewed at each in sept. without ever hearing anything from san antonio. my p.s. was not at all cocky and when i contacted them they said they had reviewed my file but made no decision. the same thing happened to a friend of mine, so there may be some validity to the reverse discrimination claim.

Hello everyone,

Around what time are applicants free to leave while they are at interview day at San Antonio? Can someone tell me an approximate time? I am trying to see if I can still make an appointment later that afternoon. Thanks.

Originally posted by Mike59
Hey all,

I also heard nothing from San Antonio. I have a 35R MCAT score, and a GPA between 3.5 and 3.7 (depending if the college classes I took during senior year in high school get counted or not), and nothing. From their secondary though, it felt like they wanted people who had lots of clinical experience, which I don't have much of. So I had attributed my problems to that.

I interviewed at san antonio this month and some applicants had to wait until 3:30 for their last interview and finished up at 4:00.

I had a theory about san antonio that i mentioned earlier in this thread but no one responded to...

I think that some of the mid-tier schools (SA, Galv, Houston) avoid interviewing extremely acceptional candidates sometimes (i.e., real high GPAs and MCATs) because they dont want to "waste their time" on applicants that they know will place other schools above them on the match list. I know of 2 or 3 people with amazing scores who didnt hear from either Galveston or SA, and yet my average scores got me interviews at both. I dont know. It's just a theory. Those of you with stellar scores who really like San Antonio should write a letter of intent to the school before the interview season ends. Let them know you're interested in attending and that you're waiting to hear from. Just a suggestion :)

SA is done interviewing. There last batch of interviews went out for the Dec 3rd interviews.

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
I had a theory about san antonio that i mentioned earlier in this thread but no one responded to...

I think that some of the mid-tier schools (SA, Galv, Houston) avoid interviewing extremely acceptional candidates sometimes (i.e., real high GPAs and MCATs) because they dont want to "waste their time" on applicants that they know will place other schools above them on the match list. I know of 2 or 3 people with amazing scores who didnt hear from either Galveston or SA, and yet my average scores got me interviews at both. I dont know. It's just a theory. Those of you with stellar scores who really like San Antonio should write a letter of intent to the school before the interview season ends. Let them know you're interested in attending and that you're waiting to hear from. Just a suggestion :)

Or, maybe some school just have a different set of priorities. A certain academic threshold is needed to do well in medical school, but beyond that threshold one reaches a point of dimishing returns. Do you really think that there is much of a difference between someone with 33 MCATs versus 30? How about 30 versus 28? Do people with 30 MCATs go on to be better doctors than those with 28's? Are they more conscientious? Do they follow-up their patients better?

Do you see what I mean? Some schools look at some candidates with very high academic credentials and say, "Wow, this person excelled academically, but did not do very much of the other things in life required to be a good physician: Volunteer, do research, reflect on their motives for medicine and articulate a vision for themselves as a physician, broaden their life experience, etc.

That's my theory...

Originally posted by drusso
Do you see what I mean? Some schools look at some candidates with very high academic credentials and say, "Wow, this person excelled academically, but did not do very much of the other things in life required to be a good physician: Volunteer, do research, reflect on their motives for medicine and articulate a vision for themselves as a physician, broaden their life experience, etc.

That's my theory...
I absolutely agree with this point, but I don't think Baylor is all about the numbers. I sure as heck didn't get a September interview there with my numbers.

Hey guys, quick question. You know if UT Dallas is done with interviewing, or atleast done sending out invites?

Originally posted by lakewill
SA is done interviewing. There last batch of interviews went out for the Dec 3rd interviews.

during my recent interview at SA, the dean explained he had originally thought their interview season was coming to a close. then, on oct 31, 300 applicants hit the tmdsas submit button, so they are interviewing a few weeks longer originally intended. call again to check their final interview dates .

Originally posted by barakutha
Hey guys, quick question. You know if UT Dallas is done with interviewing, or atleast done sending out invites?
They are reviewing files through the end of November. That is all they will tell you if you call.