Texas PT School Apps 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nihsnek: big congrats!!
Can you tell us your stats? I seen you posted that you went through the waiting last year. Did you get waitlisted, rejected, accepted? And did you do something to up scores, gpa or what to try again this year?

Also, did you interview early for for UNTHSC this year for the fall 2015 class?

I was waitlisted last year (and TWU) since when I applied, I still had 3 pre-requisites not completed. The only thing I have done between cycles is finish those classes (with A's) and get a few more observation hours. I will PM you my stats.

I have not been invited to interview for UNTHSC yet. I am hoping I will get an interview slot in January, but you never know.

Members don't see this ad.

Curious if anyone who got an ED interview with UNTHSC has heard anything since their interviews. Anyone accepted or denied or maybe even moved to the regular admissions process?

I called UTMB, and they told me no decision--good or bad--has been made on my file as far as they could see. However, I feel like spots are filling up quickly and interviews are being handed out, and my chances are getting slimmer and slimmer. Is it common practice for UTMB to fail to update your file once a decision (rejection) has been made?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called UTMB, and they told me no decision--good or bad--has been made on my file as far as they could see. However, I feel like spots are filling up quickly and interviews are being handed out, and my chances are getting slimmer and slimmer. Is it common practice for UTMB to fail to update your file once a decision (rejection) has been made?

So did you do an interview at UTMB? If so, when? I interviewed last week and haven't heard back yet.

Curious if anyone who got an ED interview with UNTHSC has heard anything since their interviews. Anyone accepted or denied or maybe even moved to the regular admissions process?

Hey! I figured I'd reply on here. This is my first time applying to DPT programs. During our UNTHSC interview they said they'd notify us after Thanksgiving break about our acceptance/denial/wait-listing. I also interviewed at Texas Tech in September and got accepted there. I got an interview from ASU but I declined it. I hope this info helps you out!

Reactions: 1 user
So did you do an interview at UTMB? If so, when? I interviewed last week and haven't heard back yet.
No interview. Sorry my question was probably worded weird. I mean I literally have not heard anything.

Just got a call from Mary Beth and was accepted into TWU Dallas! She said she's trying to get all the calls in today before she goes on vacation next week!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Just got a call from Mary Beth and was accepted into TWU Dallas! She said she's trying to get all the calls in today before she goes on vacation next week!! :)
Did she say if she was sending acceptances for both dallas and houston campuses?

Did she say if she was sending acceptances for both dallas and houston campuses?
I would assume only for the Dallas campus. She sent out an email a couple minutes ago directed to those who were called (and had missed calls) for the acceptance into the Dallas campus.

dang, I wonder if Houston will be soon. Congrats!

Got a voicemail from Mary Beth today right before 3 pm letting me know I got in at TWU Houston (my first preference), so I'm guessing they're doing some Houston notifications today, too! Definitely earlier than the expected mid-December regular decision notifications. Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users
No interview. Sorry my question was probably worded weird. I mean I literally have not heard anything.
Oh I see. I don't know. After I finished the supplemental application they emailed me the next day. That was about a month ago. I interviewed last week, but haven't heard back yet.
I know they have another interview date in December, and possibly in January if they don't fill up the seats. They do 150 interviews for 54 spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
P
Congrats! I got a call from Mary Beth too. So excited. I thought I had made up my mind about UTMB but now that I know that I got into TWU Dallas I am reconsidering.lol. I am just so happy and grateful!

Hey. I applied to UTMB this cycle and got accepted. Once they received my mail from PTCAS they sent an email letting me know to complete the supplemental application and fee within a week. I think you need to call them and really understand what's going on. I don't think they would mind answering a few questions. Good luck. Was UTMB your first choice?

Hey. I applied to UTMB this cycle and got accepted. Once they received my mail from PTCAS they sent an email letting me know to complete the supplemental application and fee within a week. I think you need to call them and really understand what's going on. I don't think they would mind answering a few questions. Good luck. Was UTMB your first choice?

UTMB is my first choice simply because I live near it, and it would make life SO much easier not having to make a big move/spend money. Plus, it's a great program. I've already been accepted elsewhere, but I was really hoping UTMB would give me a chance.

I did call them, and all they could tell me was that no decision has been made. I've done the supplemental, etc, a while ago. I just wish that they would be upfront with me. I can take rejection, but I cannot take just waiting around with no news.

It seems like from what people have replied, that if I had any kind of chance I would have been contacted about an interview already.

I'll call again on Monday and try to get a clearer answer. I hate when schools leave us in limbo :/.

A million congrats on getting accepted!!

Congrats to everyone on recent acceptances!

P

Congrats! I got a call from Mary Beth too. So excited. I thought I had made up my mind about UTMB but now that I know that I got into TWU Dallas I am reconsidering.lol. I am just so happy and grateful!
I'm in the same boat! I love UTSW, but...TWU Dallas is also great... aaah!

Reactions: 1 users
@Romazicon I know you interviewed at UTSW and got to learn more about their program, faculty, and students firsthand. Do you feel like you have the same familiarity with twu since they didn't have an official interview day? (As far as the vibe of the current DPT classes goes, relationships among the faculty, and faculty's accessibility/support of students goes)? I know how well qualified twu faculty is and how well prepared the students are to enter clinical practice but was just wondering more about those less tangible aspects of the program that often come to light on an interview day/open house it seems... just wondering if that's at all at play as you try to make a decision?

@Romazicon I know you interviewed at UTSW and got to learn more about their program, faculty, and students firsthand. Do you feel like you have the same familiarity with twu since they didn't have an official interview day? (As far as the vibe of the current DPT classes goes, relationships among the faculty, and faculty's accessibility/support of students goes)? I know how well qualified twu faculty is and how well prepared the students are to enter clinical practice but was just wondering more about those less tangible aspects of the program that often come to light on an interview day/open house it seems... just wondering if that's at all at play as you try to make a decision?
That is a very great question that I feel I cannot answer fully. I've heard great things about both programs. I did get to see UTSW first hand and met the professor who interviewed me, the 1st years students (had lunch and tour with them), and the school as a whole. I really loved it and I can see myself attending there already! I never felt intimidated by the students, faculty, and admissions director there (although the med students stared when we toured campus :bucktooth:). I've also observed 2 PTs (Peds and Outpatient orth) who graduated from there (2012, 2013) and the way the work, think, and just the overall feel of their professional skills is amazing! They practice PT exactly how I want to!

TWU though...sigh. This is tough. I've heard great things about that program as well. I work as a tech and one of the PTs employed was accepted to both programs (and had UTSW as #1), but when he attended the TWU forum to meet the faculty and school, he changed his mind! He said that it made a whole lot of difference when he attended the forum. He felt a better vibe from the faculty there and he said that "they came about as more caring that UTSW." From my experience during the interview process and acceptance I felt really wanted. I felt cared for, and I felt part of the family at that point. So that's why it's hard for me.

I've always wanted to go to UTSW ever since I found out about PT school. It was a goal for myself that I felt I would never achieve (or would be so difficult to grasp!). The fact that I am now accepted into the program gives me a sense of accomplishment and it's like a fairytale now. I wanted to go there, I dreamed of going there, I applied there, I interviewed there, and now I got accepted there. So...that's where my heart lies.

Don't get me wrong, I want to go to TWU Dallas so bad too! This is so frustrating (in a good way). I feel wanted, but I hate to turn down a great school.. But it's okay since I'm going to my dream school. But but but..:boom:

I'm so fortunate to even have a choice. I'm not taking it for granted. I will choose soon. :) UTSW vs TWU... to be continued.

Hello Everyone! I have been following this forum for a while and thought I'd finally speak up. I interviewed at UTSW (10/9), UTMB (10/27), and UNTHSC (11/6). Last Friday I got a call and was accepted into TWU Dallas! TWU is the highest ranking DPT school in Texas and has been my number one pick for many years, but for many reasons I'm leaning towards UNTHSC if they will accept me. Undecided though…

Hello Everyone! I have been following this forum for a while and thought I'd finally speak up. I interviewed at UTSW (10/9), UTMB (10/27), and UNTHSC (11/6). Last Friday I got a call and was accepted into TWU Dallas! TWU is the highest ranking DPT school in Texas and has been my number one pick for many years, but for many reasons I'm leaning towards UNTHSC if they will accept me. Undecided though…
I was in the same room with you at UTSW! lol Did you get an acceptance into the other schools besides TWU? And, if you don't mind me asking, what is one of main reason that you're leaning towards UNTHSC?

Has anyone that interviewed at Texas Tech on November 14th heard anything?

I was in the same room with you at UTSW! lol Did you get an acceptance into the other schools besides TWU? And, if you don't mind me asking, what is one of main reason that you're leaning towards UNTHSC?

Hey Romazicon! Yeah, I think I remember you from the UTSW interview day! I haven't heard anything from the other schools yet, not even UTSW. Didn't they say they would call us within a few days of the interview? I saw someone else who interviewed with us at the UNTHSC interview. She told me that she called UTSW to inquire and they said they'd call her back in a couple days, but never did.

Anyways, I am considering UNTHSC over TWU because the program is high-tech, the members of the faculty have brilliant credentials and basically run the TPTA (if you applied here I suggest you look and the faculty pages), the students have a lot of power/input in their education, and the campus is beautiful, compact, and in a great location.

I am so excited to announce that I was accepted to UTMB's DPT program!!!!! I have put down my deposit and could not be more excited! Everyone be patient, it sucks checking your email in hopes that the next one will be an acceptance from your top PT school. I hope everyone is accepted to their top school! I interviewed at UTMB on 10/27 and Texas State on 11/17. If only I could get my money back for my application to UTHSCSA! UTMB was an obvious choice for me, great faculty and curriculum that produces esteemed clinicians. The fact that I am from Galveston also influenced my decision ;)

I don't believe so, I wouldn't worry. If you remember from your interview Dr. Ellison states they do not actually begin forming the class until after the last round of interviews. Besides myself, I only know of one or two other people that have been accepted at UTMB. Bear in mind that I found out who else had been accepted through forums and word of mouth during my interview at Texas State. I presume that there are plenty of seats to fill! You got this!

Hey Romazicon! Yeah, I think I remember you from the UTSW interview day! I haven't heard anything from the other schools yet, not even UTSW. Didn't they say they would call us within a few days of the interview? I saw someone else who interviewed with us at the UNTHSC interview. She told me that she called UTSW to inquire and they said they'd call her back in a couple days, but never did.

Anyways, I am considering UNTHSC over TWU because the program is high-tech, the members of the faculty have brilliant credentials and basically run the TPTA (if you applied here I suggest you look and the faculty pages), the students have a lot of power/input in their education, and the campus is beautiful, compact, and in a great location.

I was contacted by Sandra 6 days later about a position in the program. I have no idea how it all worked. I didn't get an interview with UNTHSC even though I submitted my app way before ED deadline. So even if I wanted to go there, at this point I have two schools to choose from and I may be tempted to decline an interview there. Who knows lol. We are aspiring DPTs and that's all that matters.

congrats on all of your acceptances guys!
For those of you who were accepted to TWU and UNT, could you please post your stats? I am desperately hoping I get into at least one of these two schools, I just dont think my stats are that competitive :/

For TWU my last 60 hours GPA is 3.78 and pre-req GPA is 3.56

For those of you who were accepted to TWU and UNT, could you please post your stats? I am desperately hoping I get into at least one of these two schools, I just dont think my stats are that competitive :/

Sure.

I have a 4.0 GPA and my GRE was 145V, 157Q, 4.0AW. I had 500+ hrs of experience at an outpatient ortho clinic. 40 hrs inpatient, 20 peds.

Sure.

I have a 4.0 GPA and my GRE was 145V, 157Q, 4.0AW. I had 500+ hrs of experience at an outpatient ortho clinic. 40 hrs inpatient, 20 peds.

wow your stats are great! I have about 150 observation/volunteer hours in various settings. my GRE was V158, Q152, and 4.0 AW. Also this is my second time applying to pt programs :\

wow your stats are great! I have about 150 observation/volunteer hours in various settings. my GRE was V158, Q152, and 4.0 AW. Also this is my second time applying to pt programs :\
Thank you! Having a high GPA was always my goal, and I was fortunate to keep the 4.0 through my undergrad. Your GRE scores are great! Where they around the same when you first applied? Or did you improve on it, as well as your GPA? How many schools did you apply last year and this year? I'm just curious about your experience/situation. Did you get notified about other schools yet?

I had an interview at UNT... they notify about acceptances in 2 weeks. But I have a 3.6 in both my last 60 and pre-req GPA. I think what helped me out was my leadership/volunteer/shadowing experience and the networking I did with the faculty there. UNT is big on networking. I think with your stats you have a great chance!

Also, I am the president of my schools Pre-PT club and I had Mary Beth from TWU come speak to my club this past Monday. That day she said that they had accepted 1/4 of next year's class and the average GPA of those people was a 3.93... just a little background info incase anyone was wondering!

Thank you! Having a high GPA was always my goal, and I was fortunate to keep the 4.0 through my undergrad. Your GRE scores are great! Where they around the same when you first applied? Or did you improve on it, as well as your GPA? How many schools did you apply last year and this year? I'm just curious about your experience/situation. Did you get notified about other schools yet?
Thanks! My GRE score was the same the first time I applied, but my GPA was very low (went to a very competetive private college for undergrad, it was a little rough on my GPA :\). So I spent this past school year taking/retaking tons of classes to build up my GPA. Last time I only applied to 2 schools knowing my chances were very slim but I still wanted to apply to see what kind of feedback I would get. This year I applied to 7 schools in Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee but haven't gotten any acceptances as of yet so I am getting worried but staying hopeful.

I had an interview at UNT... they notify about acceptances in 2 weeks. But I have a 3.6 in both my last 60 and pre-req GPA. I think what helped me out was my leadership/volunteer/shadowing experience and the networking I did with the faculty there. UNT is big on networking. I think with your stats you have a great chance!

Also, I am the president of my schools Pre-PT club and I had Mary Beth from TWU come speak to my club this past Monday. That day she said that they had accepted 1/4 of next year's class and the average GPA of those people was a 3.93... just a little background info incase anyone was wondering!

Thank you for responding! Your stats look great, hope you get in to UNT! I submitted my UNT application before the October 1 deadline but on October 30 I emailed admissions to see what they calculated my GPAs to be and at that time they said that info has not yet been calculated bc my app was still under review, which I thought was odd/not promising because I submitted everything on time.
Could you let me know how many weeks in advance UNT informed you about coming in for an interview?

Thank you for responding! Your stats look great, hope you get in to UNT! I submitted my UNT application before the October 1 deadline but on October 30 I emailed admissions to see what they calculated my GPAs to be and at that time they said that info has not yet been calculated bc my app was still under review, which I thought was odd/not promising because I submitted everything on time.
Could you let me know how many weeks in advance UNT informed you about coming in for an interview?

They let me know 3-4 weeks before the interview about it. They e-mailed me asking me to call them and then told me they wanted to schedule and interview.

I don't believe so, I wouldn't worry. If you remember from your interview Dr. Ellison states they do not actually begin forming the class until after the last round of interviews. Besides myself, I only know of one or two other people that have been accepted at UTMB. Bear in mind that I found out who else had been accepted through forums and word of mouth during my interview at Texas State. I presume that there are plenty of seats to fill! You got this!

Congrats on your acceptance to UTMB. So when did you receive your acceptance notification? Also, was it by email?

Thanks man, I received my acceptance on November 20th via email. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

I didn't apply to UNT but I just got accepted into UNT. I have a 4.0 cumulative and prereq GPA. I had 103 hours in out patients ortho, aquatics, and pediatrics. I had 153V, 157Q and 4.5W. I know someone who got into TWU with much lower stats. I think TWU really looks at a lot of things.

I didn't apply to UNT but I just got accepted into UNT. I have a 4.0 cumulative and prereq GPA. I had 103 hours in out patients ortho, aquatics, and pediatrics. I had 153V, 157Q and 4.5W. I know someone who got into TWU with much lower stats. I think TWU really looks at a lot of things.
You mean you didn't apply to TWU? lol :p

Cumulative GPA 3.78, Pre-Req GPA 4.0. GRE V-152, Q-149, AW-3.
206 Observation Hours in outpatient ortho, acute care hospital, and SNF.
Obviously my GRE scores aren't strong (to say the least haha), so hopefully this will give some hope to those concerned in that area. The PTs I shadowed told me that schools look at GPA and obs hours in various setting more so than GRE so I didn't feel like I really needed to retake it (although I probably should have).

So for anyone that spoke with TWU or Mary Beth.. is it safe to say that all of the acceptances for TWU Dallas & Houston campuses have been called?

So for anyone that spoke with TWU or Mary Beth.. is it safe to say that all of the acceptances for TWU Dallas & Houston campuses have been called?
I had a few friends get rejections from TWU, so if you haven't gotten anything yet then that may be better news. May a waitlist is developing. Mary Beth literally told me that she was calling all of the acceptances that Friday. But since some have been accepted to others schools including myself, there may be some spots to be freed. So...we will see!!

You got into UNT? Or TWU??

I had a few friends get rejections from TWU, so if you haven't gotten anything yet then that may be better news. May a waitlist is developing. Mary Beth literally told me that she was calling all of the acceptances that Friday. But since some have been accepted to others schools including myself, there may be some spots to be freed. So...we will see!!
Those folks that got rejected, was it their status that changed on the application website or did they get rejection letters?

I know UNTHSC lets us send updated transcripts for classes that end this Fall. If they are planning on sending out acceptances/rejections soon, how does that work?

Also, does anyone know the latest St. Augustine will take GRE scores?

I know UNTHSC lets us send updated transcripts for classes that end this Fall. If they are planning on sending out acceptances/rejections soon, how does that work?

Also, does anyone know the latest St. Augustine will take GRE scores?
They will be notifying those accepted for the early application group. They do their regular admissions in January so that would be a reason to send in updated transcripts for the fall