Texas Waitlist Information 2005 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VeggieGal said:
actually baylor will accept ~300 for a class of ~160. and they've only given out half of their acceptances. so that means they will probably take another ~100. i am deciding between southwestern and baylor and also waiting for non-rolling schools in march. hang in there guys! i am sure alot of people will make up their minds between baylor and southwestern or southwestern and out of state places after UTSW's 2nd look weekend on the 25th. i KNOW that there will be lots of waitlist movement. you may just have to wait a couple of months. also, baylor apparently closes its class on march 15th, so people will get in around then, and more spots will open up.
Thanks for posting that! Congratulations!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

tmiho said:
so is there anything we can do to improve our rankings on the waiting list? I feel like I just can't sit still.
I totally feel your pain! I feel like I should be doing something to help my waitlist ranking too! I just don't know what.......

It's nice to know that there are other OCD people out there. ;)

Blue Orchid said:
People in other threads mentioned sending letters of intent to one school that they would like most to attend. Since UTMB is my only waitlist, would it be worth a shot to write them a letter expressing my interest in the school? Or do the Texas schools not pay attention to these things?

The only school I know probably won't accept it is UT Houston! I guess they don't like extra stuff (b/c I asked to send in some stuff too).

If I were you... I'd still give it a shot! Maybe write the Dean of Admissions! Worst case scenario... it won't be considered... but best case scenario... It may help you out! Guess what I'm trying to say is that It wouldn't hurt your app... so Might as well do it! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
txkiwieyes said:
The only school I know probably won't accept it is UT Houston! I guess they don't like extra stuff (b/c I asked to send in some stuff too).

If I were you... I'd still give it a shot! Maybe write the Dean of Admissions! Worst case scenario... it won't be considered... but best case scenario... It may help you out! Guess what I'm trying to say is that It wouldn't hurt your app... so Might as well do it! :p
Aside from UTH and UTSA, I get the feeling that your rank is already determined from the score you were given before the match. In other words, I am not sure there's anything that could be done to improve it. Does this make sense? I agree with kiwieyes though, it can't hurt. :)

So are all of you doing something like this?

true blue said:
Aside from UTH and UTSA, I get the feeling that your rank is already determined from the score you were given before the match. In other words, I am not sure there's anything that could be done to improve it. Does this make sense? I agree with kiwieyes though, it can't hurt. :)

The letter from UTMB says their applicant pool isn't ranked...not sure what to make of that. :confused: Surely they don't just pick someone at random whenever there is an opening. Or, they say the pool is unranked to help us feel better. Anyone know how they decide who gets off the waitlist?

Blue Orchid said:
The letter from UTMB says their applicant pool isn't ranked...not sure what to make of that. :confused: Surely they don't just pick someone at random whenever there is an opening. Or, they say the pool is unranked to help us feel better. Anyone know how they decide who gets off the waitlist?
Your guess is as good as mine. There are a lot of things I don't understand about this process. Who knows! Who they pick could be the result of a random "pick a number out of the magic hat" or a coin toss. :confused:

true blue said:
Hi Kilppy! :)

Hey..another beginning to another week..I am starting to think about what I am going to do if I don't get in off a waitlist this year..My MCAT scores expire this year and I have not been in school since 2002 so to re-write the MCAT in August would require me to relearn chem, ochem and physics and it would put me at quite a disadvantage. I have been given a pretty great opportunity through my volunteer work..They want to hire me on full time as an investigator..A position I would truly love and could be happy doing for a while.. But I am 25..almost 26...and am looking for a career not just a job..ahhh I don't want to think about this right now..

kilppy said:
Hey..another beginning to another week..I am starting to think about what I am going to do if I don't get in off a waitlist this year..My MCAT scores expire this year and I have not been in school since 2002 so to re-write the MCAT in August would require me to relearn chem, ochem and physics and it would put me at quite a disadvantage. I have been given a pretty great opportunity through my volunteer work..They want to hire me on full time as an investigator..A position I would truly love and could be happy doing for a while.. But I am 25..almost 26...and am looking for a career not just a job..ahhh I don't want to think about this right now..
Awwww, kilppy, I totally understand. You really aren't as old as you think you are. Maybe taking a year off and improving your MCAT, EC's, taking some grad school courses and formulating a back-up plan before re-applying is the way to go.

I think it's too soon for any of us to really be thinking about, "Now, what?"

Maybe in another month.

More wine for me now!

true blue said:
Your guess is as good as mine. There are a lot of things I don't understand about this process. Who knows! Who they pick could be the result of a random "pick a number out of the magic hat" or a coin toss. :confused:

Yeah, that is the annoying part of the whole process... I've heard from numerous people on med school admission committees that a lot of it IS a random choice. :(

Also, it sounds like the schools are getting answers back from students who are giving up their waitlist positions, so likely they can get the lists pared down and will start contacting applicants soon. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
fotolilith said:
Yeah, that is the annoying part of the whole process... I've heard from numerous people on med school admission committees that a lot of it IS a random choice. :(

Also, it sounds like the schools are getting answers back from students who are giving up their waitlist positions, so likely they can get the lists pared down and will start contacting applicants soon. Good luck!
Thanks fotolilith!

Wow, some people admit that it's actually random??? That's scary! :eek:

true blue said:
SOMEONE had a good weekend! ;)

those last two shots of vodka killed me. i owe my liver a written apology.

On a relevant note, I spoke with Dr. Dalley from Tech about the waitlist and he said they would likely invite "dozens" off the list this year, much unlike last year when only 6-8 were contacted. Good news for Tech alternates!

Blue Orchid said:

yea.. i'm kinda confused on what an "unranked" pool is? :scared:

I talked to one of the admissions ppl, and the way they described it was, they re-evaluate all the ppl in the alternate pool and pick as a spot opens...

maybe in a way, it really is ranked... ok... i really don't know! haha.. your guess is as good as mine!

man... does the sound of ppl 20 and 21 getting into med school just make u kinda sick? i'm getting on the old side too.... or feeling that way nonetheless.

trueblue... pass me a glass of wine, will ya? :confused:

SitraAchra said:
those last two shots of vodka killed me. i owe my liver a written apology.

On a relevant note, I spoke with Dr. Dalley from Tech about the waitlist and he said they would likely invite "dozens" off the list this year, much unlike last year when only 6-8 were contacted. Good news for Tech alternates!
Ugh, vodka. You poor thing! I hope you are better now! :)

Dozens off of the alternate list? Hmmm....wonder what is diffferent about this year.

txkiwieyes said:
yea.. i'm kinda confused on what an "unranked" pool is? :scared:

I talked to one of the admissions ppl, and the way they described it was, they re-evaluate all the ppl in the alternate pool and pick as a spot opens...

maybe in a way, it really is ranked... ok... i really don't know! haha.. your guess is as good as mine!

man... does the sound of ppl 20 and 21 getting into med school just make u kinda sick? i'm getting on the old side too.... or feeling that way nonetheless.

trueblue... pass me a glass of wine, will ya? :confused:
I drank it all. :oops: (j/k -- I'm cyberspacing some to you now! ;) )

I feel old next to all of you! :(

hehehe yeah, my palate isn't sophisticated enough for wine yet - i am the prototypical white male college student. but WOW when i asked for bottom shelf, i got it.

SitraAchra said:
hehehe yeah, my palate isn't sophisticated enough for wine yet - i am the prototypical white male college student. but WOW when i asked for bottom shelf, i got it.
Trust me. You don't need a sophisticated palate for wine. I drink everything and this bottle of wine just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I'd go for vodka martinis (extra dirty if you like olive juice ;) ) next time.

Vodka shots will just f--- you up. Uh...or so I've heard :cool:

My thoughts on the "unranked" w/l pools:

We've all heard over and over how med schools try to build a class of diverse personalities and backgrounds. They don't want 200 bio-bots w/o any humanity to populate their classes no matter what we may think. As regards to the waitlist pools, I've always thought that when a spot comes open in the class, the committee looks replace the "lost" class member with someone having similar background/experiences.

Anyway, there you have my two cents.

EvoDevo said:

We've all heard over and over how med schools try to build a class of diverse personalities and backgrounds. They don't want 200 bio-bots w/o any humanity to populate their classes no matter what we may think. As regards to the waitlist pools, I've always thought that when a spot comes open in the class, the committee looks replace the "lost" class member with someone having similar background/experiences.

Hey, that's an interesting thought!

EvoDevo said:

This is a very insightful thought. I think if they had the opportunity (cause I would think maybe there are situations when the opportunity to replace the "lost" class member is incredibly difficult given the waitlist pool that is remaining) they would do exactly what you said.

ps- sideways is great and its "giamatti"

basten0 said:
This is a very insightful thought. I think if they had the opportunity (cause I would think maybe there are situations when the opportunity to replace the "lost" class member is incredibly difficult given the waitlist pool that is remaining) they would do exactly what you said.

ps- sideways is great and its "giamatti"
Thanks for the correction. :)

And is your username pronounced: "Baste-not"?

EvoDevo said:
Thanks for the correction. :)

And is your username pronounced: "Baste-not"?

Hehehe, retelling of a story from the official Texas Application website (ah, the good ole days). i'm sort've a sports dork. back in middle school i played basketball and tennis for school my 7th grade year which was an odd combination apparently (though most guys i know who play tennis have played a good amount of basketball though not vice versa). so i've used basten for various screen names since 7th grade unless i've got something more creative up my sleeve (yea usually not). i don't know if its something that should be pronounced since its just the first three letters of basketball and tennis. i started to add on the "0" just cause sometimes there is actually already a basten. yea, i was definitely one of those dorky, suburban middle school kids.

basten0 said:
Hehehe, retelling of a story from the official Texas Application website (ah, the good ole days). i'm sort've a sports dork. back in middle school i played basketball and tennis for school my 7th grade year which was an odd combination apparently (though most guys i know who play tennis have played a good amount of basketball though not vice versa). so i've used basten for various screen names since 7th grade unless i've got something more creative up my sleeve (yea usually not). i don't know if its something that should be pronounced since its just the first three letters of basketball and tennis. i started to add on the "0" just cause sometimes there is actually already a basten. yea, i was definitely one of those dorky, suburban middle school kids.
bump

Good morning all! Happy President's Day. :)

Is everyone else stuck at work??? All my friends are off today and I am stuck at work :mad:

kilppy said:
Is everyone else stuck at work??? All my friends are off today and I am stuck at work :mad:
I'm off, for a change. We don't ususally get President's Day but we did this year since we didn't get a holiday for New Year's.

How is everyone doing?

yeah, i also heard about how they try to replace the type of person they lose from the waitlist. i am still not sure if that's a good thing for me or bad, cause i am a pretty traditional student. and i am much younger than TB and some of the others on the thread. and for some reason i feel that maybe that's why i didn't get in, but i am sure that's just me being OC about why i didn't get in.

I think i wrote this before but why haven't people here considered caribbean (st. george), i know i seriously am. I understand that it's harder and that tx doesn't accept offshore people for residency (but i found some exceptions in dallas and houston). Also, i know some people who went offshore and as far as i can tell they are doing fine.

also, i wanted to ask, so houston has basically told everyone who called them not to send anything. not even an e-mail to the dean of admissions or something. i am doing something new this semester and would love for them to consider it (i'm teaching a class).
also someone posted somewhere that houston doesn't really like letters and that when someone sent it, it was returned back.
what about tech, and A&M.

the thing i regret about this thing is that i should have applied to some low tier out of state med school where i know i would have good chance of getting in. oh well, you live and learn.

i hope you guys weekend was more productive than mine was.

so TB, you did MPH at houston and they didn't show you love, that's cold.

thehopeful said:
so TB, you did MPH at houston and they didn't show you love, that's cold.

Houston is all about numbers.

thehopeful said:
and i am much younger than TB and some of the others on the thread. and for some reason i feel that maybe that's why i didn't get in, but i am sure that's just me being OC about why i didn't get in.

Doogie is that you? :)

thehopeful said:
the thing i regret about this thing is that i should have applied to some low tier out of state med school where i know i would have good chance of getting in. oh well, you live and learn.

i definitely feel that comment. yea i just assumed that as the texas interviews started rolling in, i was good. and the thing is, its not that i want to live or practice out of state. i just want to get in somewhere. called houston.........rejected. i'm doin alright though, trying to finish this lab report. late.

civic4982 said:
Doogie is that you? :)

what, i am from h-town and me no know no doogie (just goffing before class). i am sorry that what i said may have come out wrong but i am not that young, i am 20. and alot of people i know who will be in med school that are 21 so i guess i had a brainfart.

I also regret not applying to out of state schools..I had filled out the applcation and picked out some schools but it was 500 dollars and then the secondaries and travel expenses..it just got too overwhelming to think about..I am regreting this big time now

kilppy said:
I also regret not applying to out of state schools..I had filled out the applcation and picked out some schools but it was 500 dollars and then the secondaries and travel expenses..it just got too overwhelming to think about..I am regreting this big time now

i actually did apply out of state and am not sure how much it cost. but i applied to cornell and hopkins and some others schols where i didn't have a chance in hell. so i should have used that money to apply to some schools with lower numbers. and i didn't get any interviews out of state so i guess i saved on travel expences. oh well.

kilppy said:
I applied to out-of-state schools last year. I actually did my homework and applied at lower-tier schools. I didn't get a single interview and was out about $500.

I decided to save myself the money and the pain this year.

Don't regret. Just use it as a learning experience for next time. :)

Does anyone know how rigorous these schools are about removing those who are already holding an acceptance at a Texas school after June 1st or June 15th (can't remember which date)? TMDSAS (aka Texas school rules gospel, or so they think it is) states that people who are already holding a spot at another Texas medical school as of June 1 or 15 (again, don't remember) must be removed from the waitlists at other Texas schools.

TMDSAS also says that applicants who match at a school will have their applications withdrawn from schools that they ranked lower, but we are seeing that this is not the case (i.e. TAMU for one, dunno about others).

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I am really starting to wonder if the schools give TMDSAS rules the one-fingered salute after the match.

true blue said:
I applied to out-of-state schools last year. I actually did my homework and applied at lower-tier schools. I didn't get a single interview and was out about $500.

I decided to save myself the money and the pain this year.

Don't regret. Just use it as a learning experience for next time. :)

I applied out of state this year... to like EIGHT of them... and spent a little over $1000 on AMCAS fees, $85 - $100 Application fees for EACH SCHOOL, and school fees to get my letters of rec. out there... and IT WAS NOT WORTH IT!

I did my homework, and applied to lower-tier schools too, and didn't receive an interview! After looking at the numbers again, most of those out of state schools receive around 10,000 or more applications each year compared to the 2000 or so applications Texas Schools receive, and alot of them prefer in state or surrounding state applicants.

*sheesh* that made me BROKE, and in the end, all i got were a pile of rejection letters... and MPH program letters supposedly "guarantee"ing a spot in their med school if I got accepted into the MPH program... not sure if that's true...

APPLYING OUT OF STATE SUCKS! might as well stay in Texas where tuition is CHEAP... if we could JUST GET IN! grrr.... :eek:

TCOM says the June 15th deadline is strict.

On another note, if Houston is strictly numbers, they shouldn't even have bothered interviewing me. My MCAT is about 9 points below their averge, and my gpa...well, let's not go there!

thehopeful said:
I think i wrote this before but why haven't people here considered caribbean (st. george), i know i seriously am. I understand that it's harder and that tx doesn't accept offshore people for residency (but i found some exceptions in dallas and houston). Also, i know some people who went offshore and as far as i can tell they are doing fine.

a few of my friends are also considering the carribeans, but after reading the thread on "Carribean Schools vs. US Schools" i reconsidered. A friend of mine is currently attending St. George's and she likes it, and I'm sure ppl are successful after leaving there... but I'm still worried about the difficulties of getting a good residency somewhere I'd like to be.

thehopeful said:
also, i wanted to ask, so houston has basically told everyone who called them not to send anything. not even an e-mail to the dean of admissions or something. i am doing something new this semester and would love for them to consider it (i'm teaching a class).
also someone posted somewhere that houston doesn't really like letters and that when someone sent it, it was returned back.
what about tech, and A&M.

With UT Houston, they told me I couldn't update my application... even though I got alot of new healthcare experience working for an ophthalmologist and received good grades this past semester as a grad student. They will only consider what I turned in thru TMDSAS, which was an application I used from last year that didn't include alot of things I've done since my interview with UTH.

What sucks about the entire process is that, I was rejected last Feb 1st, spent time finishing off my bachelors degree... spent the summer Re-studying and re-taking the MCATs and turned my application in by the end of August! They say they look for improvements in each application for reapplicants but there wasn't much I could add from in 5-6 mths... and now they won't accept things I can add after a yrs work! :mad:

guess there's nothing we could do but wait. you could probably send the dean an e-mail. it probably wouldn't hurt any!

good luck :luck:

true blue said:
I totally feel your pain! I feel like I should be doing something to help my waitlist ranking too! I just don't know what.......

It's nice to know that there are other OCD people out there. ;)

It really is nice to know that there are other people with the same pain.
UTSW said that additional material is welcome, so I think I'm going to write a letter to the admissions director, a letter of intent, and get some more letter of rec. Maybe it would help...

I didn't get waitlisted for Houston so I don't need to worry about it there

txkiwieyes said:
With UT Houston, they told me I couldn't update my application... even though I got alot of new healthcare experience working for an ophthalmologist and received good grades this past semester as a grad student. They will only consider what I turned in thru TMDSAS, which was an application I used from last year that didn't include alot of things I've done since my interview with UTH.

What sucks about the entire process is that, I was rejected last Feb 1st, spent time finishing off my bachelors degree... spent the summer Re-studying and re-taking the MCATs and turned my application in by the end of August! They say they look for improvements in each application for reapplicants but there wasn't much I could add from in 5-6 mths... and now they won't accept things I can add after a yrs work! :mad:

guess there's nothing we could do but wait. you could probably send the dean an e-mail. it probably wouldn't hurt any!

good luck :luck:

Have you sent your fall grades to TMDSAS? When I sent mine, they updated my GPA. However, I have know idea whether the schools saw which courses I took.

SitraAchra said:

Yaaah :D

baylorshannon said:
On another note, if Houston is strictly numbers, they shouldn't even have bothered interviewing me. My MCAT is about 9 points below their averge, and my gpa...well, let's not go there!

Houston is rediculous. Dr. Gunn is to say it nicely, not a likeable guy. I caleld him up on the phone talking to him b/c I was a bit confused. I should proably say that UT Houston is my dream school that I'll never get to go to. I applied last year with a 25 MCAT and they interviewed me. This year I applied with a 31 and didn't get an interivew. I talked to Dr. Gunn and he said "Well we already gave you a chance last year, we've gotta let others make their case." This same guy refused to talk to me on the phone or in person about my application last year after I didn't get in though I interviewed. Then Dr. Gunn continued to look trhough my app and said "Oh, well you got two other interviews already so we dont need to interview you anyways." (Tech and TCOM).

I think it was a curse to get interviewed last year when I obviously had no shot at getting in. So, the moral of the story here is don't be surprised about Houston. They're very odd...

P.S.: After my delightful conversation w/ Dr. Gunn I decided to ask TMDSAS to not allow other schools to be able to view if we've had achance to interview at any of the other TX schools. It's not right to judge an applicant based on that kind of criteria. I dunno if they'll change it or not.

BTW, this in no way takes away from UT Houston as a school. I really still wish that's where I was going for fall.

IF you guys are lookign for someone to talk to about your application I'd suggest Dean Maldonado over at TAMU. He's a great guy and really helped me make some good decisions last year when I got rejected. Take a day to drive down there and make an appt. with him. From my experience with all the schools in TX he's the only one who'll give you straight answers.

Houston is notorious for not re-interviewing reapplicants..I interviewed there last year and thought I'd have a shot there this year..No such luck..

Good news about Tech and the "dozens" they will take from their list..only if I am one of them of course.. :laugh:

civic4982 said:
Houston is rediculous. Dr. Gunn is to say it nicely, not a likeable guy. I caleld him up on the phone talking to him b/c I was a bit confused. I should proably say that UT Houston is my dream school that I'll never get to go to. I applied last year with a 25 MCAT and they interviewed me. This year I applied with a 31 and didn't get an interivew. I talked to Dr. Gunn and he said "Well we already gave you a chance last year, we've gotta let others make their case." This same guy refused to talk to me on the phone or in person about my application last year after I didn't get in though I interviewed. Then Dr. Gunn continued to look trhough my app and said "Oh, well you got two other interviews already so we dont need to interview you anyways." (Tech and TCOM).

I think it was a curse to get interviewed last year when I obviously had no shot at getting in. So, the moral of the story here is don't be surprised about Houston. They're very odd...

P.S.: After my delightful conversation w/ Dr. Gunn I decided to ask TMDSAS to not allow other schools to be able to view if we've had achance to interview at any of the other TX schools. It's not right to judge an applicant based on that kind of criteria. I dunno if they'll change it or not.

BTW, this in no way takes away from UT Houston as a school. I really still wish that's where I was going for fall.
OMG! I can't believe Dr. Gunn really actually said that. What a jerk! I have also spoken with Dr. Gunn and I second civic's assessment of him. He wasn't very pleasant when I talked to him. I think he missed the lessons on "a little kindness goes a long way" and "you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar" (or something like that). I guess he feels he doesn't have to be nice to anyone. That's pathetic! I didn't get interviewed at Houston (and didn't mind either) and I am still PO'd for those reapplicants who busted their butts to have a better shot this year. It's is a little disconcerting to see that UTH says it looks for compassionate people when their own dean of admissions cannot seem to muster up some of that.

Although, agreed...Houston is a great program and I commend anyone who has been accepted there, or has even been waitlisted. I realize that Dr. Gunn is only one piece of the whole school but I am sad to see a physician, administrator, and educator not able to set a good example for aspiring physicians as well as a good face for the school. He is lucky Houston has other great people.

Pardon me for my rant but I cannot help but be disgusted by civic's and other reapplicants' experiences.

OK, bp's down. Off to pot some plants. :)

true blue said:
I am really starting to wonder if the schools give TMDSAS rules the one-fingered salute after the match.

TB, that is one of the funniest things I have read in awhile. :laugh:

civic4982 said:

arrghhh....bastards. I didn't like that guy when I met him- go figure. I loved my interview at UTH, and it was my first choice. Oh well...there's always the TCOM waitlist. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.