The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.75 sciGPA, 3.82 cGPA, but 26M (10 ps/6vr/10)....and I just retook on June 21 and have strong a feeling i went down to 5-7 in PS, but VR and BS felt good. If my second PS score is really really low, how screwed am I?

If you got a 5, then your application season is over. However if you score a 6 or higher and get above a 26 you'll be competitive applicant. That being said, if you wanted DO and not MD then you probably didn't need to retake.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we've gone back to voting y/n on "Am I an underdog?"

3.75 sciGPA, 3.82 cGPA, but 26M (10 ps/6vr/10)....and I just retook on June 21 and have strong a feeling i went down to 5-7 in PS, but VR and BS felt good. If my second PS score is really really low, how screwed am I?

6+ on each section and a >26 composite will put you in good shape.

abolt18/3.32cGPA/3.24sGPA/28O

Your GPA is a little low, but your GPA is a bit above average. Not a UD.

Schools definitely received our apps today; I received my first piece of adcom recruiter email.

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnddddddd.....they're off!!!!

CCOM's dean just told me they are serious about their "No C-" policy and no exceptions are made. If you have any C- or worse, I suggest you not bother applying there.

CCOM's dean just told me they are serious about their "No C-" policy and no exceptions are made. If you have any C- or worse, I suggest you not bother applying there.

Wow no C- in any classes? Or just pre-reqs?

Hey guys,

cgpa 2.984
sgpa 2.787
other gpa 3.545.
My EC's are strong. I also have an upward trend (3.5+ in junior year and will continue senior year). I wasted my first two years in school and wasn't motivated.
I'm hoping I will get my cgpa and sgpa high enough to apply next cycle. Any advice or thoughts?

Hey guys,

cgpa 2.984
sgpa 2.787
other gpa 3.545.
My EC's are strong. I also have an upward trend (3.5+ in junior year and will continue senior year). I wasted my first two years in school and wasn't motivated.
I'm hoping I will get my cgpa and sgpa high enough to apply next cycle. Any advice or thoughts?

I think you need to retake some classes to get your gpa to a more competitive level.

Is this before or after a retake?

I.E. a D in a random course that was retaken for an A means you have no shot at CCOM?

That's a silly requirement in my opinion. Sorry about that MedPR.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to feel discouraged about this application cycle. I have an average GPA [3.4], but my practice MCAT scores are all over the place and I am not taking until 7/26. Sigh. With the schools I am applying to, I don't know if I am going to land an acceptance this cycle. Still trying to stay positive!

Don't worry too much. Just focus on things that are in your control, just keep studying and try your best on the MCAT.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

I think you need to retake some classes to get your gpa to a more competitive level.

thanks for the quick reply. I plan on retaking some c's. I'm going for a 3.00 atleast for sgpa by next cycle. :xf:

gumbyj: stay positive, and confident for the mcat. Hope for the best. Good luck!

Starting to feel discouraged about this application cycle. I have an average GPA [3.4], but my practice MCAT scores are all over the place and I am not taking until 7/26. Sigh. With the schools I am applying to, I don't know if I am going to land an acceptance this cycle. Still trying to stay positive!

Do you mind me asking what mcat range you are in? Have you already submitted?

You're an above average candidate and have a decent enough shot at the top tier.

Not an above average applicant for places like AZCOM. They didn't take anyone with under a 27 this year according to the class thread.

Not an above average applicant for places like AZCOM. They didn't take anyone with under a 27 this year according to the class thread.

I'm doubtful that a mid-tier DO school has the luxury of being so selective.

I have asked a similar question last week, and I would like more feedback:

I have 3.3ish cGPA and sGPA. I have completed AACOMAS and it's ready for submission. I'm taking the MCAT on 7/06, but I'm not expecting much of it. I have been scoring in the low 20's on AAMC FL's primarily due to low verbal score (I took AAMC 8 today and got 9/5/9). I'm planning to continue studying while waiting for my score to be ready for a retake.

Should I wait for my MCAT score to comes out before submitting my AACOMAS or should I go ahead and submit it now?

Assuming I do bad (x < 24), will I be out of the game if I take the late August or early September test?

thanks,

I feel overwhelmed too....I'm a re applicant coming off of a 22 MCAT score with a 3.66/3.35....and I'm not taking the MCAT till 8/4...feeling real late!!!

I'm doubtful that a mid-tier DO school has the luxury of being so selective.

AZCOM has one of the highest average MCAT scores. I wouldn't be surprised. We'll find out when the stat's for class of 2016 come out.

AZCOM has one of the highest average MCAT scores. I wouldn't be surprised. We'll find out when the stat's for class of 2016 come out.

Yea your right. Im only 1 point off on the mcat score and much higher in both gpa's. Sucks but thats the way it is I guess.

Is this before or after a retake?

I.E. a D in a random course that was retaken for an A means you have no shot at CCOM?

I assume they mean pre-retake. I don't think a higher tier (?) like CCOM could fill a class otherwise.

That's a silly requirement in my opinion. Sorry about that MedPR.

I agree. I would honestly be more understanding if their policy was "No C or lower" simply because every school has ABCDF grading. Not all schools have +/-, so a 70% at their school is viewed by CCOM as less undesirable than a 70% at my school.

I have asked a similar question last week, and I would like more feedback:

I have 3.3ish cGPA and sGPA. I have completed AACOMAS and it's ready for submission. I'm taking the MCAT on 7/06, but I'm not expecting much of it. I have been scoring in the low 20's on AAMC FL's primarily due to low verbal score (I took AAMC 8 today and got 9/5/9). I'm planning to continue studying while waiting for my score to be ready for a retake.

Should I wait for my MCAT score to comes out before submitting my AACOMAS or should I go ahead and submit it now?

Assuming I do bad (x < 24), will I be out of the game if I take the late August or early September test?

thanks,

If you get a 5 on a section, you're probably done. If you get less than a 24, you'll definitely be a UD with your slightly low GPA.

does anyone know when they are coming out with this years class matriculant statistics for each school?!! :)

does anyone know when they are coming out with this years class matriculant statistics for each school?!! :)

Seems like there's still movement on some wait lists. Might be a while.

I assume they mean pre-retake. I don't think a higher tier (?) like CCOM could fill a class otherwise.

I agree. I would honestly be more understanding if their policy was "No C or lower" simply because every school has ABCDF grading. Not all schools have +/-, so a 70% at their school is viewed by CCOM as less undesirable than a 70% at my school.

If you get a 5 on a section, you're probably done. If you get less than a 24, you'll definitely be a UD with your slightly low GPA.

What do you mean? no chance this cycle even if I retake in September?

I honestly feel obtaining over 10 on the sciences is much more obtainable than scoring 6 on verbal.

I've been meaning to throw my stats out there...almost two years ago, my sGPA: 2.56 and now it's 3.26! I've pulled off 4.0 for the last 50+ credits including neurobiology, micro, A&P, and some other goodies.

I still feel like an underdog with my lower Gpa, so I'll throw it out there

sGPA: 3.26
CGPA: 3.36
MCAT: 10, 10, 10 R

Good luck to everyone

Please read my post. Taking away the URM status would be detrimental because a lot of African American's applying do not possess the same benefits as most other ethnic groups ( Asian-American & White Americans) do statistically.
Many people tend to use the Basketball example, but the reality is that it is a flawed point. Basketball can be practiced with no start up money ( Alright minimal start up money). Premed however is not as easy, it requires a high amount of attention, money, and positive reinforcement to accomplish. It also requires a decent amount of connections as well.
In the end African Americans are rejected from MD schools at a high amount than both White or Asian Americans ( 60% v.s 50-56%)

I like you guys both ColeSmalls and Serenade...
In this one I have to agree 100% with serenade...Cole the reasoning behind URM is not just giving a break for the sake of it. It is because of real and actual social determinants that we are not aware of and don't live day in and day out if we are not part of them.

Similar to health and longevity. The more money you have, specially during early youth the longer and better you are going to live (very statistically significant). Better economic status = better chances at health,education,success,etc
I mean, it's not written in stone but the stats are out there. This is well known in the world of epidemiology/public health/policy

peace

Last edited:

I honestly feel obtaining over 10 on the sciences is much more obtainable than scoring 6 on verbal.

You can do it. Try some of these methods:

Debate the Author
- when you read the passage and come across what seems to be the author making a subjective remark, debate him/her in your head (argue against). Then take the author's side, and argue on his/her team (argue for). This is great for "what would most likely WEAKEN/MAKE STRONGER" questions.

First-Word Method
- For a question asking "what is the main purpose..." only look at the first word of the answer choices, as that's all you need! Often students make these questions more difficult that they are, and are caught up in the description rather than the purpose. If you're reading a passage and the author is clearly debating art from the 17th century is more idealistic than from the 19th century:
Answers should look like this:

A) disput...
B) convince...
C) debate...
D) describe...

Why and What's
- After reading the passage, ask yourself some questions: Why did the author write this passage (to support something, to condemn something, to teach something)? What is the author trying to do (gaining support for this, comparing/contrasting that)? What is the overall tone of the author about the subject (indifference, negative, positive)?

Emotional Words
- Words like "delightfully," "depressively," and "impartial" are usually throughout the passage to help you distinguish the overall tone of the passage. If you are hung up on a question about tones, list the answer choices from negative -> positive, so it can help you decide the best answer choice.

I've been meaning to throw my stats out there...almost two years ago, my sGPA: 2.56 and now it's 3.26! I've pulled off 4.0 for the last 50+ credits including neurobiology, micro, A&P, and some other goodies.

Good luck to everyone

Nice MCAT man. Perfectly balanced.

Since I am finally able to see my ACCOMAS now here are my stats

Undergraduate
Science GPA 3.14
Non Science GPA 3.48
Overall GPA 3.39

Masters- MBA in Health Care Administration
GPA 4.00

MCAT- low low low low low low

MCAT scores come out today but I am not even considering them. Didn't study the first time around because I thought "I got this". Yea biggest wake up call I have ever had. So now I am studying and taking it again in September. I am also in the LMU post bac program which starts in July so I am going to try and knock that out of the park. I only applied to 8 schools because I knew my MCAT would be a killer.

Overall I would say I have ok experience and EC's. I played college football (DII) for two years, student government and NCAA rep for 1 year, hospital volunteering 500 hours, high school tutor 200 hours, college tutor 100 hours, and I worked throughout college.

I know my MCAT is going to be a killer and I am a complete and utter DA for not studying for the MCAT but it is what it is and now I got to live with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of your reading/comprehension issues are holding your PS/BS scores as well. Scoring a 5 or 6 on VR is rough; that indicates some pretty severe issues with comprehension.

I'd find some non-MCAT materials on reading comp skills.

As a med student, it's kind of assumed that your BS/PS scores may be stronger. Work on that reading and I think you'll unlock some REAL advances on your scores. Good luck.

Good luck to everyone

3.2, 3.2, 33Q (11,11,11) here. We're not UDs :) If you applied broadly I think you'll get in somewhere. I know you applied early.

Nice MCAT man. Perfectly balanced.

Thanks! It was deliberate ;) haha, jk

3.2, 3.2, 33Q (11,11,11) here. We're not UDs :) If you applied broadly I think you'll get in somewhere. I know you applied early.

I did apply pretty broadly, but my MCAT is from 8/2009 so half the schools don't take them, which is a bummer. I took it early in case I needed to retake, but did well. Then I didn't get in because of GPA and so now, as a re-app, I'm sporting a 3 year old MCAT.

The problem is that most schools I wanted said three years old is ok, but what I didn't know is that half of them mean 3 years from application date and half mean 3 years from matriculation :thumb down

I wish my bad grades disappeared after 3 years!! Id have a 3.8! Oh well...Thanks for the boost MedPR, lets do it this time :highfive:

How do I look? Retake and do Post Bac or just do Post Bac?

Didn't study and I got a 23P I am wondering what I should do?

Undergraduate
Science GPA 3.14
Non Science GPA 3.48
Overall GPA 3.39

GPA 4.00

Overall I would say I have ok experience and EC's. I played college football (DII) for two years, student government and NCAA rep for 1 year, hospital volunteering 500 hours, high school tutor 200 hours, college tutor 100 hours, and I worked throughout college.

How do I look? Retake and do Post Bac or just do Post Bac?

Didn't study and I got a 23P I am wondering what I should do?

Undergraduate
Science GPA 3.14
Non Science GPA 3.48
Overall GPA 3.39

GPA 4.00

i can never understand why people like to waste $$

i can never understand why people like to waste $$

I agree that I wasted money no doubt about that. Was it a DA move? Yep. I was really wondering if the average at most of the schools I am applying to is 24 should I really retake it?

Hey guys. Georgia resident applying strictly D.O.
Schools: PCOM-GA, LECOM-Brandenton, NSUCOM, ATSU-SOMA, VCOM-South Carolina, and Midwestern-AZ campus.

Total Underdog haha
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 2.97
MCAT: 27P (8 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS)

Terrible freshmen year, but recovered a lot since then.

Crossing fingers and lots of prayers :D

Hey guys. Georgia resident applying strictly D.O.
Schools: PCOM-GA, LECOM-Brandenton, NSUCOM, ATSU-SOMA, VCOM-South Carolina, and Midwestern-AZ campus.

Total Underdog haha
cGPA: 3.03
sGPA: 2.97
MCAT: 27P (8 PS, 10 VR, 9 BS)

Terrible freshmen year, but recovered a lot since then.

Crossing fingers and lots of prayers :D

good luck, might want to throw in LMU or Campbell in there.

I feel like so much less of an underdog with my new MCAT. I was a sGPA 3.3 and a cGPA 3.3 with a 23O. My new MCAT as of today is a 28P (6P/10V/12B). I'm a little bummed with my physical sciences but really happy with my biology. Think I can stop calling myself an underdog?

I feel like so much less of an underdog with my new MCAT. I was a sGPA 3.3 and a cGPA 3.3 with a 23O. My new MCAT as of today is a 28P (6P/10V/12B). I'm a little bummed with my physical sciences but really happy with my biology. Think I can stop calling myself an underdog?

Great improvement on the MCAT. :thumbup:

PS is a little low but you should be solid for a few interviews with your composite score.

Feeling extremely upset and lost. I just got back my MCAT score today and I ended up scoring 13O. I knew I should have voided because I was completely not in the right state of mind before the exam and could not concentrate after an extremely difficult PS. Anyways, I wanted to get a honest opinion of whether I have a chance at D.O. schools. Ideally I would like to go to LECOM. I have a 3.3 sGPA and several hours of volunteer hours/shadowing and research.

Feeling extremely upset and lost. I just got back my MCAT score today and I ended up scoring 13O. I knew I should have voided because I was completely not in the right state of mind before the exam and could not concentrate after an extremely difficult PS. Anyways, I wanted to get a honest opinion of whether I have a chance at D.O. schools. Ideally I would like to go to LECOM. I have a 3.3 sGPA and several hours of volunteer hours/shadowing and research.

:eek: I'm afraid you'll have to retake to have ANY chance at med school, whether DO or MD. Don't waste money on apps until you bring that score up!

Honestly with a 13O there is no shot in getting in anywhere. Most D.O. schools are raising the bar and anything below a 24 probably won't happen. It always sucks hearing this but you need to retake it. I personally couldn't afford a full blown Kaplan course so I used course saver(google it it's amazing). Keep your head up and do lots of questions and practice tests. When you're consistently getting 27-30 on your MCAT practice tests take it again.

Great improvement on the MCAT. :thumbup:

PS is a little low but you should be solid for a few interviews with your composite score.

Thanks. I kept having nightmares that I got a 19. I keep checking my score because I can't believe I improved that much. I keep thinking I'm going to get a phone call saying "just kidding".

:eek: I'm afraid you'll have to retake to have ANY chance at med school, whether DO or MD. Don't waste money on apps until you bring that score up!

If I retook in September would I still have a chance for this cycle? and would the 13O keep me from getting acceptance even with a higher score?

Honestly with a 13O there is no shot in getting in anywhere. Most D.O. schools are raising the bar and anything below a 24 probably won't happen. It always sucks hearing this but you need to retake it. I personally couldn't afford a full blown Kaplan course so I used course saver(google it it's amazing). Keep your head up and do lots of questions and practice tests. When you're consistently getting 27-30 on your MCAT practice tests take it again.

Oh no I was definitely planning, its just that I was wondering if seeing the previous 13O would prevent me from gaining acceptance even if I make around a 26-28. Thanks for your words of encouragement.