The 2012-2013 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, no you're not. Being a URM, having a 30 mcat, and having completed an SMP you were extraordinarily competitive.
On a more serious note- Thanks... I assume my SMP GPA was crucial in showing them that I did in fact mess up my uGPA (lack of maturity/outside obligations) but I could really do the work/handle the course load/tough subjects in med school :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even as a URM, my uGPA is crap... must of been a heck of an interview ;)

2.90 sGPA 3.05 cGPA eeek... I wouldn't even accept myself with those numbers ... haha JK!

Must've =/= "must of"

I'd find that more disturbing than a 2.9 sGPA.

Sorry.

#grammarNazi

Must've =/= "must of"

I'd find that more disturbing than a 2.9 sGPA.

Sorry.

#grammarNazi
Pardon me, so sorry, it must be because I'm a .....

hold it ...
wait a second ...

URM!
No, seriously, probably true since I recently picked up English hehehe... and I still got in... and I still got a 10 on my Verbal section of the MCAT ... jijijiji

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pardon me, so sorry, it must be because I'm a .....

hold it ...
wait a second ...

URM!
No, seriously, probably true since I recently picked up English hehehe... and I still got in... and I still got a 10 on my Verbal section of the MCAT ... jijijiji

Haha :D

Well played. It's not so disturbing considering. Congrats on the solid verbal. You beat mine, which was uncharacteristically sad. 8... :eek:

Haha :D

Well played. It's not so disturbing considering. Congrats on the solid verbal. You beat mine, which was uncharacteristically sad. 8... :eek:
Thanks! Verbal shmermal

Last edited:
Even as a URM, my uGPA is crap... must of been a heck of an interview ;)

2.90 sGPA 3.05 cGPA eeek... I wouldn't even accept myself with those numbers ... haha JK!

Yea your GPA sucks. URM makes up for it. Not sure what you don't understand about that.

Yea your GPA sucks. URM makes up for it. Not sure what you don't understand about that.
It is still below the average for matriculated URMs (Hispanic) according to the data, about 1 to 2 SD lower...

zP10f.gif

Last edited:
^ It paid off man. You gonna take all those interviews? I liked KCUMB a lot, I think I would only check out Nova and maybe VCOM if I was in your shoes. But hey, more the merrier.

Your mcat was also 1-2 SD above average. It balanced out.
That is true, I guess I didn't expect Top 50 schools to call me back at all. Felt like the underdog all the way. I never met anyone else with a 2.9 science uGPA getting in and I know a lot of URMs (I'm in Florida). My pre-med advisor said I wouldn't get in with my stats.

ii @ NOVA, WHSU-Lebanon, VCOM-Va, VCOM-CC, MU-COM

Congrats on the interviews! But how are you interviewing at both VCOM campuses when you were only allowed to send a secondary to one.....

Members don't see this ad :)
^ It paid off man. You gonna take all those interviews? I liked KCUMB a lot, I think I would only check out Nova and maybe VCOM if I was in your shoes. But hey, more the merrier.

I don't think so because I felt KC could hardly be beat. Best curriculum. Amazing facilities. Within a minute of a reasonable city. Great track record. Can't beat it with these other schools, IMO.

Congrats on the interviews! But how are you interviewing at both VCOM campuses when you were only allowed to send a secondary to one.....

This was over the last couple months. Funny story about the VCOM-Va ii, I had literally just gotten out of surgery (my own surgery) and I was so drugged up that I had to tell the nice lady that I was unable to understand anything and for them to call me back later. They didn't, but it still counts as an ii, then later I got a call from the VCOM-CC, however, I don't think I will take any of these. I might want to take up the NOVA ii because I have heard it is an amazing graduate campus

I wish osteopathic schools did not have such a high acceptance/matriculation fee otherwise I could justify all these interviews

Random question, does having a financially disadvantaged background have any affect on your application?

I was thinking about mentioning it in my PS but wasn't sure.

Random question, does having a financially disadvantaged background have any affect on your application?

I was thinking about mentioning it in my PS but wasn't sure.

If you can talk about how it shaped you, then sure. I don't know how it affects your application in terms of checking a box, though.

If you can talk about how it shaped you, then sure. I don't know how it affects your application in terms of checking a box, though.

+1 if you can talk about how it affected you and how you worked through it, it's a good topic. And if you want to work with financially disadvantaged people in the future, it's a good way to transition into that, as well. That as one can thing be seen as an application positive, IMO.

Hi all,

I am concerned about my chances, hearing that most late February and March interviews are for wait-list spots only. I was a little late in the application cycle (processed primary in mid-October, secondaries in December). I'm non-traditional: 25, in my 4th year of teaching high school science in a low-income school with a high population of English Language Learning students. Stats: Undergrad (Chem major: 3.4/3.2s) 31MCAT. 3.9 graduate school GPA for my Masters in Science Education.

Interviews:
NYCOM - complete (today 2/27)
LECOM - Friday 3/1
Wright State - 3/5

Thoughts? Advice? I am so nervous!

Hi all,

I am concerned about my chances, hearing that most late February and March interviews are for wait-list spots only. I was a little late in the application cycle (processed primary in mid-October, secondaries in December). I'm non-traditional: 25, in my 4th year of teaching high school science in a low-income school with a high population of English Language Learning students. Stats: Undergrad (Chem major: 3.4/3.2s) 31MCAT. 3.9 graduate school GPA for my Masters in Science Education.

Interviews:
LECOM - Friday 3/1
Wright State - 3/5

We look forward to your interview announcements.

edit: oh, wait, you mean for this current cycle... well, it's possible. You know you can hit a lot of decent MD schools with those numbers next cycle, right?

soo... could we get the front page updated any time soon pretty please??

Not a troll, but would I be considered an underdog with a cGPA of 3.6, sGPA of 3.75, and 31Q (14/6/11) because of the 6 in VR? I think some schools may automatically screen a 6.

Not a troll, but would I be considered an underdog with a cGPA of 3.6, sGPA of 3.75, and 31Q (14/6/11) because of the 6 in VR? I think some schools may automatically screen a 6.

I don't think so. Underdogs usually have a statistically weak shot at best of getting in.

But feel free to hang out. I have zero doubts about your odds for DO, and I bet you can land an MD acceptance as well.

I think you would be an ud for oos MD but fine for do and maybe even instate md, depending on your state.

No

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Hi all,

Interviews:
LECOM - Friday 3/1
Wright State - 3/5

I think you have a good shot. Just had a friend interview last week at KCOM and received an acceptance pending this week. Rolling admissions is your friend.

And sorry all kinda off note, anyone ever wonder if MedPR looks like his profile image. Random thought. :D

And sorry all kinda off note, anyone ever wonder if MedPR looks like his profile image. Random thought. :D

:laugh: :laugh: LOL sorry to burst your bubble, but he doesn't :p you can keep thinkin that though! ;)

I think you have a good shot. Just had a friend interview last week at KCOM and received an acceptance pending this week. Rolling admissions is your friend.

I do look very similar.

Didn't you have a fitness thread on here or is this one of your ways of throwing off people from recognizing who you are?

What are you trying to say? I'm fat and therefore can't be someone who exercises?

32685640.jpg

No, I just thought you were nothing like your main picture.

Why? Because I workout? Because urm? Sounds racist bro.

That's not very nice for such a holistic person like yourself.

Well, speaking on that..it's not all about looks. You can be Johnny too-handsome Mc Ripped and still lack confidence or just simply be miserable. If you're being honest about yourself and have the guts to tell others like it is without being ashamed ;that speaks a lot about your character and health as well.:thumbup:

You're obviously doing something right, like all the UDs with acceptances here.

Well, speaking on that..it's not all about looks. You can be Johnny too-handsome Mc Ripped and still lack confidence or just simply be miserable. If you're being honest about yourself and have the guts to tell others like it is without being ashamed ;that speaks a lot about your character and health as well.:thumbup:

You're obviously doing something right, like all the UDs with acceptances here.

:confused: I was trying to troll. I lost.

LMAO! this made my day! but sadly he doesnt....:p

I always imagine kenobi and LizzyM look like their avatars. The only one who I actually know looks like their avatar is jaboomday

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

I always imagine kenobi and LizzyM look like their avatars. The only one who I actually know looks like their avatar is jaboomday

My avatar is appropriate, because they call me the man of steel girl :naughty:

LMAO! this made my day! but sadly he doesnt....:p

This is worrisome. I thought I knew the sdn handle of everyone who knows what I look like :scared:

There are a couple of girls who had actual pics of themselves as their avatar too. I think one of them still does.

There are a couple of girls who had actual pics of themselves as their avatar too. I think one of them still does.

My avatar is an actual pic of me. :p

Sent from my Galaxy S2