*** The Official LECOM Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
AADSAS status says, "Offer Made"
Lecom portal says, "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

The offer made sounds like a good thing, but I would have thought I'd receive an email saying I'm accepted. Is there a chance I'm getting an acceptance in snail mail?

I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Lecom portal says, "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

The offer made sounds like a good thing, but I would have thought I'd receive an email saying I'm accepted. Is there a chance I'm getting an acceptance in snail mail?

You should be getting an email soon. The mail contains the official letter and matriculation agreement. Congratulations!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

When did you interview??

Members don't see this ad :)
My portal went from under review to invited to interview today however I haven't been emailed or called yet!!

My portal went from under review to invited to interview today however I haven't been emailed or called yet!!
mine did too.. no email or call yet though! so im confused haha

Got the background check email! I guess that puts my uncertainty at ease and I have been accepted!

I know on the website it says defer only for military service, but has anyone heard of a student getting approved for deferment for other reasons?

Congratulations! Same here. Are you planning on attending?

Thank you, and congratulations to you as wel! I’m still deciding between this school and another. Both are great, I just have to consider living costs and tuition. Are you planning on attending?

Thank you, and congratulations to you as wel! I’m still deciding between this school and another. Both are great, I just have to consider living costs and tuition. Are you planning on attending?
Thank you! Yeah, I can see it being tough to choose between schools. A decision will come to you though. I only habe been waitlisted at other schools, so I have decided to accept LECOM's offer.

Thank you! Yeah, I can see it being tough to choose between schools. A decision will come to you though. I only habe been waitlisted at other schools, so I have decided to accept LECOM's offer.

The best dental school is the one you get into :) where are you from if I can ask? I like the school but LECOM is so far from my hometown

The best dental school is the one you get into :) where are you from if I can ask? I like the school but LECOM is so far from my hometown
I'm from San Jose, California, so also quite far from LECOM.

Accepted off the alternate status today :soexcited:
Interviewed in Aug, and this is my first acceptance!
I was so shocked when I read the email and cried with my parents for a while.
It was very special because I've never seen my dad crying before...!
Didn't enjoy the waiting game that much but I kept having faith in myself.
Everything is possible, always keep the positivity :)

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the alternate status today :soexcited:
Interviewed in Aug, and this is my first acceptance!
I was so shocked when I read the email and cried with my parents for a while.
It was very special because I've never seen my dad crying before...!
Didn't enjoy the waiting game that much but I kept having faith in myself.
Everything is possible, always keep the positivity :)
Big congrats! Well done!

Current D1 at LECOM! If anyone has any questions or just wants to know what it has been like so far don't be afraid to reply! :)

Current D1 at LECOM! If anyone has any questions or just wants to know what it has been like so far don't be afraid to reply! :)

What did you wish you would have known prior to starting? Are you from the area? Where are you from originally and was it hard to adjust at all? What is your schedule like? What do you guys do for fun? Do you spend any time outside of class with your classmates? How do you like PBL? How are the staff honestly? Most challenging classes? What do you not like about LECOM? What type of clinical things have you done? Are you enjoying your time in Bradenton/at LECOM and would you recommend it? Why or why not?

What did you wish you would have known prior to starting? Are you from the area? Where are you from originally and was it hard to adjust at all? What is your schedule like? What do you guys do for fun? Do you spend any time outside of class with your classmates? How do you like PBL? How are the staff honestly? Most challenging classes? What do you not like about LECOM? What type of clinical things have you done? Are you enjoying your time in Bradenton/at LECOM and would you recommend it? Why or why not?

I can't really think of anything I wish I would've known before starting at LECOM. I am not from the area at all, I moved from Pittsburgh the summer before starting. If anything, it has been the most rewarding experience to move away from home to a completely different environment with different people. Having the beach close by is great if that isn't something you're used to!

Our schedule for the most part is very relaxed; aside from when PBL exams are getting close. Right now, I have PBL 3 days a week (MWF) for 2 hours at a time; biostatistics on Fridays; and clinic on Tuesdays from 12-4. If you stay caught up on your work for PBL, the only times I really feel stressed out are the week or two before an exam.

We do a lot of different things for fun! Sometimes we go to Tampa for the weekend or St. Petersburg area and find different things to do. We just had a beach day where everyone met up after finishing our exam on Monday. The classes get along pretty well and usually we have birthday parties or other kind of hangouts where everyone is involved for the most part.

I love PBL. I always got good grades during undergrad, but I never really felt like the information was "sticking." Now its amazing to look back just on the past 8-9 months of school and see how much I retain. The exams are rough. Our last exam was on 28 chapters and you definitely can't just procrastinate and expect to do well. I keep up on a lot of my work and I've gotten A's on 2/3 of the PBL exams we have had so far. Its definitely not impossible if you put in the work and for me it has been a much better way to learn than sitting in lectures. The staff are willing to sit down and work through any problems you might have with a class or a particular topic, for the most part they are great, there's always a few exceptions at any school. But I wouldn't complain about the majority.

For me, PBL hasn't been all that difficult. It is all about keeping up with the class and taking it seriously and working outside of the meetings. So far, no class has really been all that difficult. I guess I would have to say Anatomy, since it was a self-taught class and the first real exposure to the PBL-type learning environment.

I honestly can't say that there is anything I don't like about LECOM. I chose LECOM over NYU and Temple and I would make the same decision 100x over in the same way! I like the freedom without long lectures, and the weather here, and the other classes and staff are always willing to help you. Those were the reasons I chose LECOM and the reasons that I'm still happy here almost a year later! It gets a bad reputation at times, but usually from people who haven't even experienced it.

Right now we're assisting the D3's in the clinic as their dental assistants. We see real patients and basically the D3's use us for whatever they need! (X-rays, suction, etc.) It isn't much, but still seeing patients within the first 6 months of classes starting is a lot more than most other schools get to do. We've also taken impressions on one another, radiology courses, learned basic health screenings and heart rate/BP, things like that in the clinic.

Overall, I love it and wouldn't change a thing! Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 7 users
I can't really think of anything I wish I would've known before starting at LECOM. I am not from the area at all, I moved from Pittsburgh the summer before starting. If anything, it has been the most rewarding experience to move away from home to a completely different environment with different people. Having the beach close by is great if that isn't something you're used to!

Our schedule for the most part is very relaxed; aside from when PBL exams are getting close. Right now, I have PBL 3 days a week (MWF) for 2 hours at a time; biostatistics on Fridays; and clinic on Tuesdays from 12-4. If you stay caught up on your work for PBL, the only times I really feel stressed out are the week or two before an exam.

We do a lot of different things for fun! Sometimes we go to Tampa for the weekend or St. Petersburg area and find different things to do. We just had a beach day where everyone met up after finishing our exam on Monday. The classes get along pretty well and usually we have birthday parties or other kind of hangouts where everyone is involved for the most part.

I love PBL. I always got good grades during undergrad, but I never really felt like the information was "sticking." Now its amazing to look back just on the past 8-9 months of school and see how much I retain. The exams are rough. Our last exam was on 28 chapters and you definitely can't just procrastinate and expect to do well. I keep up on a lot of my work and I've gotten A's on 2/3 of the PBL exams we have had so far. Its definitely not impossible if you put in the work and for me it has been a much better way to learn than sitting in lectures. The staff are willing to sit down and work through any problems you might have with a class or a particular topic, for the most part they are great, there's always a few exceptions at any school. But I wouldn't complain about the majority.

For me, PBL hasn't been all that difficult. It is all about keeping up with the class and taking it seriously and working outside of the meetings. So far, no class has really been all that difficult. I guess I would have to say Anatomy, since it was a self-taught class and the first real exposure to the PBL-type learning environment.

I honestly can't say that there is anything I don't like about LECOM. I chose LECOM over NYU and Temple and I would make the same decision 100x over in the same way! I like the freedom without long lectures, and the weather here, and the other classes and staff are always willing to help you. Those were the reasons I chose LECOM and the reasons that I'm still happy here almost a year later! It gets a bad reputation at times, but usually from people who haven't even experienced it.

Right now we're assisting the D3's in the clinic as their dental assistants. We see real patients and basically the D3's use us for whatever they need! (X-rays, suction, etc.) It isn't much, but still seeing patients within the first 6 months of classes starting is a lot more than most other schools get to do. We've also taken impressions on one another, radiology courses, learned basic health screenings and heart rate/BP, things like that in the clinic.

It does, thanks!

Lecom portal says “The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.”
AADSAS says none. So is this an acceptance?? Or rejection?o_Oo_O

Lecom portal says “The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.”
AADSAS says none. So is this an acceptance?? Or rejection?o_Oo_O
You should get an email if you're accepted. But I'm not sure. When did you interview?

I just got an interview invitation today and I am super excited!!!! Can anybody tell me what to expect during the interview, maybe some of the questions asked? Any information will help!

1) Was it a shock for you at all when you started dental school and what adjustments did you make from undergrad?
2) How do you study for exams? 28 chapters seems like a ton to study for.......How are the exams structured?
3) How long are you in class/clinic each day and how much do you study on average outside of that?
4) Do you have any free time during the week or is it always hectic? And how much free time do you have on weekends? Any time to visit family or do something fun?
5) Are resources pretty accessible when it comes to PBL or are students on their own when it comes to studying? Any tips for staying on top of things?
6) What is the culture like there? Have you guys developed close bonds with each other?
7) What classes do you currently take and have taken in the past?
8) Any other tips for an incoming D1 to succeed and maintain a competitive edge in dental school?

Sorry that's a ton of questions. I'm just super curious/excited and a little nervous to start here next year. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation!!

1) Was it a shock for you at all when you started dental school and what adjustments did you make from undergrad?
2) How do you study for exams? 28 chapters seems like a ton to study for.......How are the exams structured?
3) How long are you in class/clinic each day and how much do you study on average outside of that?
4) Do you have any free time during the week or is it always hectic? And how much free time do you have on weekends? Any time to visit family or do something fun?
5) Are resources pretty accessible when it comes to PBL or are students on their own when it comes to studying? Any tips for staying on top of things?
6) What is the culture like there? Have you guys developed close bonds with each other?
7) What classes do you currently take and have taken in the past?
8) Any other tips for an incoming D1 to succeed and maintain a competitive edge in dental school?

Sorry that's a ton of questions. I'm just super curious/excited and a little nervous to start here next year. Thank you!

No problem at all... haha, I was the same way, that's why I offered!
1) Besides the whole "I'm going to be a dentist!!" feeling (which never goes away btw!), there wasn't really any negative shock associated with starting. I knew I earned my spot and I was just really ready to be there. There wasn't much adjustment from undergrad, aside from not having to waste time studying for classes that didn't interest me. I went to a relatively small branch campus, so its sometimes odd to be in a lecture with 100 people at once, but since most of our learning is PBL, it was a quick adjustment for 1-2 classes per semester.

2) I basically structure my studying around PBL. We pick chapters as we go through the cases, so for example, our last exam had 7 cases, and we picked 3-5 chapters for every case. My group decided to pick more like 6-7 for the first few cases in order to get a lot of the reading out of the way before it got close to crunch time. That way the last two cases we only had to add 2 additional readings to get up to the 28 mark. All of the cases are structured around a certain system. So for the last exam, it was cardiology. So if you keep up with your reading, a lot of the chapters will go together and help for it all to connect and make sense. As soon as we assign chapters, I start reading. I'll read the chapter and take notes, and then once it gets closer to the test, I'll print all of the notes I've taken and go back through the chapters in case I missed anything. After that its just all studying! The week before the exam we don't meet for PBL and its called a "study week." So you have an entire week of free time to catch up. I spend the two weeks before a PBL exam really working hard, and I haven't had an issue so far. As far as other exams for dental-related courses, I mostly just study a few days in advance and haven't had any trouble getting A's. All of our exams are online, multiple-choice! PBL exams are 150Q, most other exams are around 40-60Q, and they'll give you more than enough time. For PBL exams in particular, since each groups pick different chapters, every group has an exam specifically made for them!

3) PBL meets 3 times a week (MWF) and each session is 2 hours. I'm in the clinic Tuesdays from 12-4, and biostatistics from 1-2:30 on Fridays. Outside of that I really don't study unless I have chapters to be reading or an exam coming up. Most classes are just a midterm and a final.

4) It depends on if theres any exams coming up! Right now I'm pretty free since we just finished a PBL exam! I sat by the pool today for a couple of hours, and I'm visiting my family in Pittsburgh this weekend. I have time to go to the gym most days and go out at least one night of the week every week besides study week.

5) All of the questions come from our books or the cases. Groups really work together (if you get a good one) and compile good resources. But nothing on any exam has been from anything other than the cases or our chapters, and if it is he's good about giving points back for things that people miss. My best advice is to just read the chapters as they come, take good notes, and then use the study week to do just that! Some people will only read the chapters once and just go into the exam only reading over them and not really studying and understanding them in depth, and they still pass with 75%. I'm just really hard on myself and make sure to be learning the material and I've gotten near 100% on 2/3 of the exams.

6) The culture is pretty relaxed, everyone kind of enjoys life and takes things slowly which is unusual if you're from a fast paced area. There are a lot of old people around (lol) but a lot of students since the med and pharmacy schools are right beside the dental school. There are a lot of events and cool restaurants/bars to visit, basically I'm never bored or looking for something to do. Most of my class does get along well and I've made the best friends of my life while being here!

7) So last semester we took General Practice Dentistry which is a class about culture and acceptance and that kind of thing, we took Dental Anatomy (with sim lab), Anatomy, Embryology, Histology, Restorative Complete Dentures (with sim lab), this semester we took PBL, Biostatistics, and Radiology. And then we have Restorative coming up in March! In the past I took basically all biology classes and I have a chemistry minor.

8) Just work hard. Nothing is impossible at LECOM, and the staff takes notes of those who work hard and not just those who get good marks on exams.

Hope that helps! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.