*** The Official LECOM Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's truly unfortunate. One of the best moments for me seems like the moment you get your name on your op for the first time. Ugh not liking this.

That's why I'm curious what they're saying at the interviews. Because clearly the X number of hours spent in the D3 clinics will be less than the previous classes. I remember during my interview the school said that by the time you graduate you will have 168 more clinical hours than students from other dental school. That's definitely not going to be the case anymore. To get clinical experience for D3 year you need to be in a chair as much as you can and do dentistry.

Jokerz summed it up well. The current D2's going into clinic are not going to have their own operatory which is super unfortunate and I am not sure how they will address this in the future. That was a huge selling point for LECOM and its very sad to see that aspect go.

One rumor I heard, and take this with a grain of salt, is that our AEGD (residency) clinic will be converted into a student clinic in following year. There have been talks that the AEGD program will be ended at the Bradenton location and the current AEGD clinic will be redesigned to have preceptor visibility into all operatories so that it would be approved for dental student use. It is currently already used by dental students on one side for hygiene clinic so it would make sense if it was converted however this is far from confirmed and merely a rumor. If this did happen there would be about 15ish more operatories.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jokerz summed it up well. The current D2's going into clinic are not going to have their own operatory which is super unfortunate and I am not sure how they will address this in the future. That was a huge selling point for LECOM and its very sad to see that aspect go.

One rumor I heard, and take this with a grain of salt, is that our AEGD (residency) clinic will be converted into a student clinic in following year. There have been talks that the AEGD program will be ended at the Bradenton location and the current AEGD clinic will be redesigned to have preceptor visibility into all operatories so that it would be approved for dental student use. It is currently already used by dental students on one side for hygiene clinic so it would make sense if it was converted however this is far from confirmed and merely a rumor. If this did happen there would be about 15ish more operatories.

If they did this, they could still have ~10 operatories for D3s and ~5 for D1/D2 hygiene clinic. Just a solution but who knows if they'll even consider restructuring the AEGD clinic.

For those who got loans from fafsa/gradplus, when did you get the reimbursements? Was it about 2 weeks after classes started? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
For those who got loans from fafsa/gradplus, when did you get the reimbursements? Was it about 2 weeks after classes started? Thanks

Yes, it is always 2 weeks after the first official day of the semester. For incoming D1s that means you won't get your disbursement/refund check until 2 weeks after that first day of orientation on Monday (7/15). The registration half-day on the previous Friday (7/12) does NOT count as the start of the semester.

Anybody have any advice for an OOS member of the alternate list? I have emailed them a couple of times to reach out and update them on what i've been up to since my interview as well as ask a couple questions about what to do while i wait to hear (should i be looking for apartments, how should i handle leaving my job if i were to get in, etc.) and haven't had any luck with responses. I'm assuming this is normal just cause it seems like not a lot of people are getting responses to their emails as I'm sure their busy but any insight anybody could give on what to do while I wait, any good things to include when reaching out, or how much reaching out is too much would be appreciated. Also can anybody confirm that there was another interview date added on 4/26? I saw that somewhere on here but wasn't sure of the validity of that statement. Thank you!

Anybody have any advice for an OOS member of the alternate list? I have emailed them a couple of times to reach out and update them on what i've been up to since my interview as well as ask a couple questions about what to do while i wait to hear (should i be looking for apartments, how should i handle leaving my job if i were to get in, etc.) and haven't had any luck with responses. I'm assuming this is normal just cause it seems like not a lot of people are getting responses to their emails as I'm sure their busy but any insight anybody could give on what to do while I wait, any good things to include when reaching out, or how much reaching out is too much would be appreciated. Also can anybody confirm that there was another interview date added on 4/26? I saw that somewhere on here but wasn't sure of the validity of that statement. Thank you!
As of right now the class is full. I got in touch with a student who currently goes to LECOM and he asked Mrs. Shannon Phillips directly and she said at this point the class is full.

If you have NOT received a clear rejection email/letter and are still on the waitlist, there is still a very very SLIM chance of securing a seat. For our class, we had someone drop out during the first week of school because they got accepted into their dream school. LECOM filled the spot by the next week.

This isn't meant to get your hopes up or down or anything like that. Just stating facts of what happened with the Class of 2022.

If a similar situation does not occur, just work on strengthening your application so you'll be an even stronger candidate next round.

Last edited:
If you have NOT received a clear rejection email/letter and are still on the waitlist, there is still a very very SLIM chance of securing a seat. For our class, we had someone drop out during the first week of school because they got accepted into their dream school. LECOM filled the spot by the next week.

This isn't meant to get your hopes up or down or anything like that. Just stating facts of what happened with the Class of 2022.

If a similar situation does not occur, just work on strengthening your application so you'll be an even stronger candidate next round.

Just to add on.
I spoke to a very reliable source yesterday and basically all of the seats for 2023 have been filled at this time. Only chance of getting one now is if people drop their acceptance to attend another school. So yes there is still a chance but it is dramatically lower at this point.

How many pairs of scrubs (top and bottom) do y’all recommend for us to buy? Also how many pairs of scrubs do you own now? 3? 10?

How long does it take for shipping if we were to go to the store to try them on first, then order online?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many pairs of scrubs (top and bottom) do y’all recommend for us to buy? Also how many pairs of scrubs do you own now? 3? 10?

How long does it take for shipping if we were to go to the store to try them on first, then order online?
I know someone who owns only 1 pair. I own 3. You wear the same thing every single day. There's a store nearby the school that provides the scrubs so you can go in and try them.

I'd recommend at least 4 (or 5 if you only want to do laundry on the weekends). Depending on how short one of your days is, you can "rewear" one set of scrubs on another day. I would highly recommend going into the Scrub Club to try on all 3 brands (multiple styles each) before you buy them. If they don't have your size in the store, they will order it for you to try on before you buy. They have to be purchased from that store (or their website) as they're the only ones approved to use LECOM's logo for embroidery. Plus LECOM has set up a group buy so the scrubs (not the embroidery) are discounted.

I'd recommend at least 4 (or 5 if you only want to do laundry on the weekends). Depending on how short one of your days is, you can "rewear" one set of scrubs on another day. I would highly recommend going into the Scrub Club to try on all 3 brands (multiple styles each) before you buy them. If they don't have your size in the store, they will order it for you to try on before you buy. They have to be purchased from that store (or their website) as they're the only ones approved to use LECOM's logo for embroidery. Plus LECOM has set up a group buy so the scrubs (not the embroidery) are discounted.
Are dental lab classes still pass/fail? Someone told me you only get grades for the science classes. Is this true??

Are dental lab classes still pass/fail? Someone told me you only get grades for the science classes. Is this true??

No classes at lecom are pass/fail anymore. You get a grade for every didactic and clinical class.

Lab courses are not split from the didactic portion. Since they are combined under one course code, they have a grading system of 90-100 (A), 80-89 (B), 75-79 (C), <74 (Fail).

Additionally, most syllabi have stipulations that you must pass (75+) both the lab and the didactic portion to pass the overall class. Meaning, if your lab average grade is a 73 but you didactic average grade is a 95, you would still fail the course and need to remediate.

Reactions: 2 users
Yup! Seeing that you had your own assigned operatory with your name on it was a huge bonus factor for me. It meant that you would be the only one seeing patients in that room for a year. Now that they increased the class size beyond the capacity of the clinics, it's a bummer for me too.

it's nice to have your own operatory for sure, but it's still not end of the world. Between 2 sister clinics (21 students), each student takes turn and have an off day to assist or do lab work. So that's about 1 day per month (20 working days). Noone, I repeat, noone has ever been so efficient that they were booked all 20 working days out of the month. 1 extra day off on top of that? It won't make a huge difference. Do some lab work, assist your friend, study for an exam, do whatever you need to do. Especially in the beginning, there's plenty of things you need to do , so you might even appreciate the extra day off once in a while.

Not having your own operatory, well, that's a bummer.

Just a tip, stop worrying so much about exams and curriculum. You will learn as you go. It will all work out. Don't worry.

it's nice to have your own operatory for sure, but it's still not end of the world. Between 2 sister clinics (21 students), each student takes turn and have an off day to assist or do lab work. So that's about 1 day per month (20 working days). Noone, I repeat, noone has ever been so efficient that they were booked all 20 working days out of the month. 1 extra day off on top of that? It won't make a huge difference. Do some lab work, assist your friend, study for an exam, do whatever you need to do. Especially in the beginning, there's plenty of things you need to do , so you might even appreciate the extra day off once in a while.

Not having your own operatory, well, that's a bummer.

Just a tip, stop worrying so much about exams and curriculum. You will learn as you go. It will all work out. Don't worry.
Needed this. Thank you.

I can say for sure that exams will not be any harder than you would see in undergrad.

I can say for sure that exams will not be any harder than you would see in undergrad.

I agree, exams haven't been as hard as I anticipated but that doesn't mean you don't have to study once you get here. If you don't study enough or don't study correctly, you will struggle. This is professional school after all so you need to find your individual school-life balance to succeed.

I agree, exams haven't been as hard as I anticipated but that doesn't mean you don't have to study once you get here. If you don't study enough or don't study correctly, you will struggle. This is professional school after all so you need to find your individual school-life balance to succeed.

I was actually talking about not just LECOM but dental school overall.

But yes of course students must study. That's not even a question.

If almost hard to fail if you are even an adequate student imo. Getting to the top of the class and specializing is another story.

Also my sample size is limited but I do see a correlation between DAT scores and grades. The people I know that struggle and have even failed classes usually had lower DAT scores.

Also my sample size is limited but I do see a correlation between DAT scores and grades. The people I know that struggle and have even failed classes usually had lower DAT scores.
Do you have plans to specialize?

This wasn't directed specifically at me but I figured I'd answer anyway. I've been thinking about doing an AEGD/GPR after I graduate but I'm still not sure. I'd rather leave that option for older me to decide on. So I'm studying a lot to get my rank up and I'll try to get involved with research next year.

Ive been pretty dead set on Endo since before dental school. Planning to do a GPR-->Endo. Currently on Endo exec board, doing endo research, already studying for endo before the class has even started. I read endo textbooks and watch CE courses for fun.. you could say I'm a little obsessed.

If you have any slight desire of specializing, be very vigilant about your grades from the beginning. People will almost shame you for wanting to specialize as a D1 but if you have a desire you might as well work really hard early just in case rather than be average and realize later that you want to specialize and not have the rank/experience needed.

and fyi, yes people do start to care less as the year progresses but D2 year is very busy so even though it is possible to raise your rank it does not get easier just because people care a little less.

Reactions: 2 users
If we are still on the alternate list, is their any day in particular during the week that they offer acceptances?

For everyone that has been wondering about board exams, I just found this on the ADA's website under the national boards guide - NBDE1.

"The JCNDE has issued a formal notification that the INBDE will be available for administration beginning on August 1, 2020. The NBDE Part I will be discontinued on July 31, 2020, and the NBDE Part II will be discontinued on July 31, 2022."

**Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE)—integrates the biomedical, clinical, and behavioral sciences in its evaluation of candidate dental cognitive skills. Similar to the NBDE, the INBDE is designed to assist state boards of dentistryin making decisions about candidates for dental licensure.

So it looks like going forward with the Class of 2023, you will be required to take the integrated boards and will not have the option for NBDE1/2.

Last edited:
Hi Guys!
I was wondering if any of the upper classmates have any idea on how many in coming D1 during the July?
Are we going to have 105 or 150?

Thanks in advance

Hi Guys!
I was wondering if any of the upper classmates have any idea on how many in coming D1 during the July?
Are we going to have 105 or 150?

Thanks in advance
It almost happened but it was not approved....yet. It may be a possibility for 2024
Per this student, we won't see the class size increase this year.

Hello, I am applying this upcoming cycle and I was just wondering if anyone got into LECOM with a 3.39 GPA? Thank you :)

Hello, I am applying this upcoming cycle and I was just wondering if anyone got into LECOM with a 3.39 GPA? Thank you :)

I know someone that got in with a 3.3 but there are so many variables involved that GPA alone would not be the best indicator

PBL: Problem Based Learning

A new quickly spreading method of study to reinforce concepts. This method is one of the main highlights of the LECOM SODM that separate it from almost every other school. You MUST grasp this concept prior to interviewing and starting school.

In short, PBL is a method of learning in which self directed study and interactive group case study trains a student to think and act like a doctor. At LECOM it is used to prepare student for the boards starting in D1 year and ending before boards are taken.

What does the PBL group study setting look like?
In a PBL "session" you are in a group of typically 8-10 people (switching every semester) with one staff facilitator. The facilitator is not present to teach you anything at all. They are simply there to make sure you discuss all the concepts that are supposed to be obtained from the "case" that you are working on that day. They keep you on track so that you spend more time of topics that are more relevant to the case/boards and move you along when you dwell on something that is not quite as important. They also give you the actual case details to solve the case but do not explain them, that is for you to figure out.

Who is the facilitator?
The facilitator can be any staff member in the school. They are not there to teach you anything but to just provide information about the case that was given to them. They could be an anatomy professor, biochemistry professor, or they can be someone who has no educational teaching background whatsoever.

What is the point of PBL? How is it different from normal learning?
The point of PBL is to actively engage in learning material rather than memorizing powerpoints. Traditionally, you are taught a subject such as physiology in a classroom with powerpoints and a lecturer spews out fact after fact and you glaze over it, chug it after it after class with minimal context, regurgitate it for the exam, and then forget it shortly after because you have not really applied it.

In PBL, you are given a REAL past hospital case and are trying to solve the case by learning the different concepts and mechanisms that could be involved. You are actively searching and making connections therefore reinforcing the concepts in your mind. You are also discussing these findings with your group members because everyone has a different background and knows more about certain subjects than others.

In a typical PBL case you will hit multiple subjects such as Anatomy, Biochemistry, Immunology, Pharmocology, and Physiology all at once so that connections are made between subjects.

Do you have specific roles in your PBL group?
The PBL session begins with assigning roles. The reason for this is that everyone MUST be involved for you to get through the case effectively.

Roles include (and will vary based on institution):
Writer (writes on white board)
Typer (types all information discussed for later review)
Reader (reads all information displayed from the case out loud)
Everyone else (including those above): contributes to discussion to solve the case

These roles will be switched every session. Some groups opt out from having a writer if the facilitator allows.

If there are no Powerpoints, how am I supposed to know the information to solve a case?
When you begin a PBL case, you will quickly realize that there are lots of things that you do not know. It is up to you to look up the topics that are not familiar within the textbooks that are given to you. Our textbooks are online in a database and so if we come across the topic of "RAAS mechanism" for example, I can search it within my various textbooks to found out what it does and why it is important and then explain it to my group. The topics and concepts you will need to understand will become clear as you go through the PBL case. The details within the case lead you towards certain concepts, for example a case with left sided heart pain with a provided ABG test is likely wanting you to learn about heart function/anatomy, respiratory function/anatomy, medications that work on the heart/lungs + their mechanisms, and bicarbonate buffers/acidosis (ABG test, etc). You are discovering what various mechanisms/medications are and presenting them to your group.

How do you solve a PBL case?
The case begins by the facilitator opening the case file on the computer in the PBL room. It is displayed on a giant TV screen in the room. These files are not accessible outside of class which is why good notes are important via the typer and writer roles.

The facilitator will start by saying something along the lines of "Pt named John Smith arrives to the Emergency Room complaining of left arm pain with associated numbness."

At this point PBL discussion begins. The group must work together to piece together information and learn concepts to figure out what is wrong with John Smith.

The group can ask the facilitator questions as if it were an actual doctor/patient interaction such as:
How you ever been hospitalized before?
What medications are you on?
What is your family history?
What do you do for work?

As you solve more cases you will begin to think like a doctor and ask the right questions. The facilitator will respond with information that they have been given about the case. They may have answers to all your questions or they might not.

After asking questions, the facilitator will display more and more pieces of information on the screen. You may get a full list of symptoms, social history, family history, medications, occupation, etc and using this you will discuss with your group about possible differential diagnosis and mechanisms that are occurring.

You will then order tests. You must know what tests should be ordered and if you dont you will need to figure it out by looking through textbooks and/or the internet. After coming up with possible tests, the facilitator will show the actual tests that were done on the patient and what the results were.

At this point you must know what the tests are, what they look for, and what they are telling you about the patient. If you dont, look it up!

After tests are given and you understand the concepts behind them, You will come up with a diagnosis and treatment plan. After finishing, the facilitator will reveal the diagnosis and actual treatment plan that was given the to the real patient.

PBL Cases are designed to expose you to information, tests, and mechanisms that are foreign to you so that you will actively look them up, understand them, and discuss them.

The goal of PBL is NOT to solve the case but to UNDERSTAND the concepts and mechanisms behind the case. You are not graded based on figuring out the diagnosis.

What is an example of a PBL session?

F: Facilitator (acts as patient)
G: Group (acts as doctor)
C: Concepts (things you are to learn from the case)

F: Pt presents with left arm pain with associated numbness
G: How long has this pain occurred? What medications are you on? Are you a smoker? What do you do for work? Have you ever been hospitalized before?
C: Symptoms and their associated organs/mechanisms

F: I have had this pain for two days. I am on Amplodipine. I am a smoker. I have been hospitalized in the past for heart attack.
G: Possible differential diagnosis could be MI (heart attack), stroke, Pneumonia, viral infection, cancer, bronchitis, etc
C: Medications and their mechanisms, modifying factors

F: "Releases full list of symptoms, social history, family history"
G: If there are any symptoms that are not familiar or wording that is not understood, group will look them up in textbooks or internet or group member with knowledge of that concept can explain.
You will begin to add or remove possible diagnoses based on results.

F: Shows physical exam and vital that were done to patient
G: Continues to add possible causes based on physical exam. If there are any unfamiliar test "Homans sign positive" or "Abnormal S1/S2 sinus rhythm" you will look these up
Group begins to brainstorm tests that could be done
C: Heart rhythm, physical exam findings and their meanings

F: "What tests would you like to run?"
G: CBC, BMP, Troponin, chest xray, EKG, ABG, CT scan. You can look up tests that can be run on chest or whatever you are concerned with

F: Releases test that were actually done on patient at the hospital
G: Analyzes test results and understands reasoning behind each test with mechanisms and modifying factors.

F: "What do you think the diagnosis is what what treatment would you like to prescribe?"
G: Pt has Penumonia and should be started on anti-biotic with regular bronchodilating B2 antagonist medications.

F: Releases actual diagnosis and treatment plan that was done for patient
G: analyzes treatment plan, medications, and mechanisms involved

This process seems quick but it will actually take 2-3 PBL sessions because you are learning all the new tests, modifying factors, medications, and general concepts as you go.

The group at the end of this case has likely learned:
1. Heart phyiology
2. Lung Phyiology
3. Heart medications (Pharmacology) and their mechanisms
4. Lung and Heart tests and their mechanisms
5. New physical exams tests and lab tests and their meanings

REMEMBER: Every test, symptom, and concept in the case is there for a reason. They are all connected to boards topics, so if you understand all pieces of the case, you have nailed down many concepts that will help you on the boards.

What happens after a PBL session?

After a PBL session the group will discuss topics that they struggled with and will discuss at the beginning of next PBL session. For example, if one of the tests was an EKG, and no one knew about heart rhythms, they can discuss abnormalities in heart rhythms together during the next session. Also, PBL chapters will be assigned for reading. During the course of the case you will utilize many of your textbooks and will take the chapters that you used the most to "assign" them for the PBL test.

PBL sounds hard. All the concepts you mentioned are foreign to me. Can I do it?
Yes you can. On day one you will be hard pressed to find a student that knows what sinus rhythm and an abnormal ABG test means but over time you will learn all the signs and symptoms, tests, physical exam findings, medications, and possible diagnoses and they will come naturally. The reason they make you ask questions or order tests prior to revealing what was actually done to the patient is so that you will get into the habit of knowing what to ask and what to order and connect it to the organs of the body. After about 2-3 cases you will be spewing out questions, tests, and diagnoses like you've been a doctor for ten year. Every case will teach you new tests, terminology, medications, and diagnoses.

How is PBL graded?
So like mentioned before. You will be using textbooks to find information to solve cases. Your group will come to a consensus as to what chapters were most used and important and you will assign these for your PBL exam. Your group may assign different chapters than another group so within your class there will be a different exam for every group.

Grades also come from participation in the PBL sessions (25%).
Questions for the exam will come out of the chapters assigned as well as major topics from the cases.
For each exam you will have approximately 20-30 chapters assigned with a total of 150 questions.

Each case will take about 2-3 PBL sessions because to go through this process take quite a bit of time so for each exam you may have between 5-8 cases.

What do PBL exam questions look like?
As stated before, PBL is to help you understand the major concepts that are on the board exams. And since you are reading 20+ chapters of textbooks and have 150 questions that come out to less than 10 questions per chapters so that questions will never be super specific but will cover major topics and crucial points.

Do you enjoy PBL?
I LOVE PBL because I feel as though I am truly learning the material. If you show me what an ABG test or an LFT panel does on a powerpoint I will likely forget 2 months after the test but after learning it through PBL I am confident I will know how to interpret them in ten years from now if I ever needed to. The same goes with all the concepts that are learned. I also love to teach others concepts that I know a lot about because it strengthens my knowledge. Also we tend to dwell on things that are actually important for practicing dentistry. We learn all the subjects for boards but a lot of times we will dwell on medications and mechanisms that will actually be at play with the medications and procedures that you do in a dental office.

I hope this clears up the confusion about PBL and I will continue to add and edit this as you guys have questions.

PBL is not "new" nor is it "quickly spreading"
please list me schools that have switched to PBL recently
USC has gone away from PBL in the last few years...

Well compared to traditional lecture id say its relatively new. They werent exactly doing PBL 30 years ago.
By quickly spreading I mean more schools are taking a look at it as a real option considering the format of the new boards, maybe it was a bit extreme to word it the way I did. I did have a discussion with a staff member at my school who had a recent meeting with a few deans at other schools (which the staff member would not disclose) who are interested in bringing in a PBL element to their curriculum. So I cant say for sure but I wouldnt be surprised if we began to see PBL incorporated in other schools in the near future.

It looks like USC still has PBL in their curriculum!

(This is a great PBL perspective video)

@Stanelz since you created this thread last year, would you like to start up a new thread for C/O 2024?

I have a quick question about finals week. On the calendar it says the semester ends the 14th of December but my question is how often do you have finals on that last day of classes? Also are finals taking place throughout the last week or including the week before? Thanks!

I have a quick question about finals week. On the calendar it says the semester ends the 14th of December but my question is how often do you have finals on that last day of classes? Also are finals taking place throughout the last week or including the week before? Thanks!

Finals can happen at any point during the last 2 weeks of the semester. You will not know until you get your syllabus for that course so I would strongly advise against prematurely purchasing flights home. For more questions like these, please join the Facebook group and ask them there so your whole class can see the question/answer.

Finals can happen at any point during the last 2 weeks of the semester. You will not know until you get your syllabus for that course so I would strongly advise against prematurely purchasing flights home. For more questions like these, please join the Facebook group and ask them there so your whole class can see the question/answer.

Thanks! And would you say usually the whole 2 weeks is packed with finals or does it usually vary semester to semester?

Thanks! And would you say usually the whole 2 weeks is packed with finals or does it usually vary semester to semester?

It varies. Some classes have finals much earlier than others and its usually not super crazy but instructors can put exams on literally the last day of the semester. You could have all your exams done and have to wait an entire week for your last one that conveniently has been placed as close to the end of the semester as possible.

Do you think it is too late to still get off of the alternate list? I figured classes started already, but my status on the LECOM portal still hasn't changed.

Do you think it is too late to still get off of the alternate list? I figured classes started already, but my status on the LECOM portal still hasn't changed.
Our class is full, so I am thinking it is too late at this point.

I applied to LECOM's dental school last year, didn't get in, and am currently finishing LECOM's Master's program now (ends April 26th). I interviewed in January have a conditional acceptance for the dental school. I think the MMS is a great option. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

What was the GPA requirement to receive an interview and acceptance into lecom's dental school from their MMS/post-bacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.