***The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental class 2018***

To those of you who have had your interviews already, how did they go? I have mine October 5th at 8am, and I am wondering how much more prep I should do. What was the format of the interview? I have heard UDM's interview is more laid back compared to others.

Members don't see this ad.

To those of you who have had your interviews already, how did they go? I have mine October 5th at 8am, and I am wondering how much more prep I should do. What was the format of the interview? I have heard UDM's interview is more laid back compared to others.

Even though the interview is very laid back, my cousin told me that they look at everything and mainly at how you present the answer rather than the answer itself.

Just be yourself. the format was different depends on your back ground. mine started by a situational question. there was two professors in a classroom. at the beginning, you will be invited to check the size of the lab coat and all the faculty members will come and introduce themselves to applicants. you will be scheduled to have a brief discussion by a faculty member and ask them some questions about the uni. then the actual individual interview will start.(Depends on each group you are in, the schedule is different). the session of discussion with 4 or 5 dental students and a campus tour by student. it was easier than I thought. take my advise, don't think that the questions at interview obeys the same pattern. depends on your back ground they will start the conversation. it was laid back and warm conversation. no doubt. I was so anxious, this caused me to have less performance. If I knew that the interview was gonna be that much easy, I would sleep the whole night before the interview calmly!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
does it say what time the interviews end on saturdays ? I need to book a flight and have no idea :confused:
if your interview is at 8:00 am, then it will end around 12:30 p.m. ours started at 8:00 even sooner and ended at 12:30. Sep 28 Saturday.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview Invite!
Extremely excited. My AADSAS mail out was Sept 27th!

Just got my first interview invite to UDM! :) So excited. Does anyone know which airport is closest to UDM?

How many students do they interview during an interview day ?

Even though the interview is very laid back, my cousin told me that they look at everything and mainly at how you present the answer rather than the answer itself.

I agree with your cousin. The questions are merely opportunities for you to present an articulate answer. The content of the answer is not so crucial. A good response to any question should take no less than 30 seconds and no more than 2 minutes.

What time do the interviews start during the week? 8?

Haven't had my check cashed yet and I sent it around 9/3 or so. Should I call/email to see what's up? In their initial "app received" (meaning app received from AADSAS) email, it mentioned that they don't want you to contact them but rather they'll contact you if something's missing. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this while I wait for Monday to roll around?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't had my check cashed yet and I sent it around 9/3 or so. Should I call/email to see what's up? In their initial "app received" (meaning app received from AADSAS) email, it mentioned that they don't want you to contact them but rather they'll contact you if something's missing. Anyone care to share their thoughts on this while I wait for Monday to roll around?

Most definitely call them. That is way too long to sit on a payment you can easily verify.

Thanks for the replies Ferneezy & AKDent.

I'm going to call Monday to see what's going on, but just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? I'm thinking maybe my envelope got lost in the mail since it's been over a month I've sent it and haven't heard a thing nor received an app complete email.

Oh also AKDent, have they cashed your check yet? It's been a little over a month and that seems like more than enough time for them to cash it...

:confused: how many do they interview pre-December ? Like 400 kids ?

Yes, they interview around 400 people before December, out of those 400 applicants around 360 get accepted, so hopefully that makes a lot of you feel better;) One student at my interview asked the head of admission what if more than 144 accept the offer, and he said that that has never happened since he's been doing this job and they continuously interview and pull people off the wait list all the way up till when classes start.

Yes, they interview around 400 people before December, out of those 400 applicants around 360 get accepted, so hopefully that makes a lot of you feel better;) One student at my interview asked the head of admission what if more than 144 accept the offer, and he said that that has never happened since he's been doing this job and they continuously interview and pull people off the wait list all the way up till when classes start.

Halleluja ! Thanks man.

I interviewed on a weekday and theres was just 2 of us. If you're given the choice and you're able to go in on a weekday, I would highly recommend it! Instead of a half hour interview with 2 faculty members, you get an hour interview with one. Then you get a tour by a student. Everyone was really nice, the student was introducing us to so many other students and professors in the hallways, and everyone really seemed to love it. I think if this school wasn't in Detroit it would be a top choice for many! But a lot of students live like 20 mins away in the Royal Oak area which is nice and really fun.

Interview Invite Today for Nov. 23rd
2nd Batch
3.3o/3.4s
21aa/22ts/22pat
OOS

So my check hasn't been cashed yet. Should I be concerned even though I have already interviewed?

my check didn't get cashed until a month later and when i called the lady said they had received it but is not cashed yet. Don't worry as long as you got an interview you're good, they probably have certain days where they go and cash checks

They gave 360 acceptances on December 3rd??

Wow! I thought that's the total including post December

Does anyone know if UDM is still sending out invites for interviews? My application is under review for a long time now. Every time I call them, they say they will let me know as soon as some kind of decision is made. Although my application was sent in early, they didn't recieve one of the recommendation letter till August. I am freaking out about this whole process. :confused:

Does anyone know if UDM is still sending out invites for interviews? My application is under review for a long time now. Every time I call them, they say they will let me know as soon as some kind of decision is made. Although my application was sent in early, they didn't recieve one of the recommendation letter till August. I am freaking out about this whole process. :confused:

Maybe they blacklisted you for being too persistent with your calls since last application cycle. Just a thought, not trying to put you down.

lmao! that would be pretty messed up if they did

If I heard correctly last time I interviewed, they said they interview large # of people at once for few days. I think that they mentioned about 2 dates for november, so they should be sending invites out for that slot. I think they interviewed about 60 people on saturday (when I went)

Does anyone have any concerns about the city or the area of the school? I have heard from alumni that it is not a great area and that they loved the school, but wouldn't recommend students to go there because of the area of town that the school is in. Have any of you heard differently?

Does anyone have any concerns about the city or the area of the school? I have heard from alumni that it is not a great area and that they loved the school, but wouldn't recommend students to go there because of the area of town that the school is in. Have any of you heard differently?
I have heard the same exact thing.

I have heard the same exact thing.
I currently attend their undergraduate school, and have taken a few classes at the dental school. Yes, the area is not that great but the campus is secured with a gate that can only be opened upon flashing your ID to the proxy. I have never felt unsafe commuting there, and students who attend the school live about ~10-15 minutes away in better areas, such as Royal Oak, the Riverfront area of Detroit, Ferndale, and some in the Plymouth/Canton area.

Received an interview invite today! So excited! In-state 3.45 oGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 22AA.

Interviews so far: UMich & LECOM.

i hope i am one of the lucky ones that gets a call on dec 2nd!!! that would mean the world to me, uh!

Received an invite today! First invite! Good luck to everyone!

Yes, November 23.
Hi there, congrats first you got an interview. I'm just wondering, did you notice how the school status & status define tabs changed (AADSAS) before and after you were invited? My status said received/under review for a LONG time, but i just saw the status defined tab changed from nothing to "Your application is received and under review at this time" yesterday. I'm really confused about it, and did you happen to have a similar situation? Otherwise, you have any idea what that possibly means? Thanks!

Hi there, congrats first you got an interview. I'm just wondering, did you notice how the school status & status define tabs changed (AADSAS) before and after you were invited? My status said received/under review for a LONG time, but i just saw the status defined tab changed from nothing to "Your application is received and under review at this time" yesterday. I'm really confused about it, and did you happen to have a similar situation? Otherwise, you have any idea what that possibly means? Thanks!
I got the exact same thing. I hope that they will email or call us soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the exact same thing. I hope that they will email or call us soon.
I had the same status change! I'm also a Michigan resident, if that makes a difference.

I had the same status change! I'm also a Michigan resident, if that makes a difference.
Same status change. non-michigan residents, but currently a senior at Univeristy o fMichigan.

Hey guys, for those of you with similar situation with me (aadsas status defined changed from nothing to "Your application is received and under review at this time" recently (around October 29th i will say), any of you hear back from the school yet? :)

Hey guys, for those of you with similar situation with me (aadsas status defined changed from nothing to "Your application is received and under review at this time" recently (around October 29th i will say), any of you hear back from the school yet? :)

I have this status change, but no other updates or contact from UDM.

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I wouldn't read into the status change. Dr. Chuck mentioned over in his thread that AADSAS just reopened up the option to define statuses. I think what you're seeing is just a remanent from when they first received our applications and updated AADSAS. I have the same status change, dated 7/22.

I was also wondering the same thing. My status has been "Received/Under Review" since 7/22 before I even took my DAT and they recently added "Your application is received and under review at this time." under status defined. Hopefully, we hear something soon.

Applied to 15 schools
Interviews so far: Roseman, Michigan, UNLV

It could also be them updating everyone's status. They probably sent out a wave of interview offers. They would have updated the status of those who were offered an interview, and refreshed the status of those still under consideration. So, like it was stated before, don't read into it too much.