*** The Official University of Detroit Mercy Dental Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I read in a thread from a previous year that they send out a packet, but I'm not sure. If someone who has interviewed can confirm, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
They somehow decided not to send a packet this year. I did not received it either.

I got an email which contained my interview date and time as well as their recommended hotels...(my interview is Nov. 1st though, so I probably don't have as much credibility as some of the others)...but I'm guessing that they decided to be "paper-friendly" this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't even gotten a confirmation email or packet from UDM regarding my AADSAS application, and it was mailed 8/01/14.

I haven't even gotten a confirmation email or packet from UDM regarding my AADSAS application, and it was mailed 8/01/14.

I don't think University of Detroit sends an "application received" email...the only email I ever got (or at least that I remember) is the invitation...honestly though, I don't think you have much to worry about with your awesome DAT scores.

For those of you who already interviewed where did you stay? How did you get to the school? I would appreciate any recommendations and insight on the matter.

Invited for interview 9/27 at 8am! I am getting worried though because I was invited for interview on August 4th and finally was able to reach someone in the office by phone to schedule the following week, so I've been planning on 9/27 for over a month. However I have been wondering if I'd get a conformation email or information packet-- which I have not. Based on the responses in this thread it seems like I should have at least gotten a conformation email, I wonder if I should call admissions? Any suggestions? Also, I would love to hear where some people are staying on the 27th, I plan to arrive the night of the 26th and it would be nice if someone was in the same hotel, not necessarily share rooms but maybe share transportation to the interview the following morning. Thanks! :)

Edit: I just called and they said they would re-send the email, but they seemed really confused why I had not received it the first time! So stressful, I hope I get it this time around

Okay, I figured out the confirmation email! They have been having problems with Yahoo emails, so if you have not received your confirmation check your bulk or spam mail folder and that is where I found mine. Apparently this has been a problem with students who have yahoo email addresses, so don't fret just yet!

9/27 interview here as well! It took them awhile to send out the confirmation email for me too but I eventually got it

Does UDM send a confirmation email prior to the interview? (Including detailed agenda etc?) How long ahead of interview?

I appreciate sharing any experience you had during interview. tnx

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate sharing any experience you had during interview. tnx
It was very relaxed, more welcoming and personalized than my other interviews thus far. Why UDM? And a couple ethical scenarios were the main questions. It was such a friendly, warm atmosphere. Interview was not stressful-they tried to make you feel as comfortable as possible. I had one male and one female prof interviewing me.
Seems like a great place to go for Canadians.
One tip about getting there: clarify with the cab beforehand how much it will cost! Getting back to the airport: find other interviewers to carpool with! There is a place to store your luggage at the interview.
Hope this helps!

It was very relaxed, more welcoming and personalized than my other interviews thus far. Why UDM? And a couple ethical scenarios were the main questions. It was such a friendly, warm atmosphere. Interview was not stressful-they tried to make you feel as comfortable as possible. I had one male and one female prof interviewing me.
Seems like a great place to go for Canadians.
One tip about getting there: clarify with the cab beforehand how much it will cost! Getting back to the airport: find other interviewers to carpool with! There is a place to store your luggage at the interview.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for reassuring info kimothy! I was planning to just leave my luggage at the hotel and go pick it up after the interview, but leaving it at the school sounds a lot easier.

My interview time is scheduled for this upcoming Sat at 8 AM, I'll be flying from Trenton, and staying in downtown (approx. 10 min away from the school). PM me if you want to split a cab or meet up!

@kimothy_777 Could you please tell us the interview day timeline? Approximately how many people? Lunch? Also I just want to get how did you feel about the Detroit area? Thank you! :D

Just got an interview invite. Going to schedule it tomorrow. So EXCITED!!!

@kimothy_777 Could you please tell us the interview day timeline? Approximately how many people? Lunch? Also I just want to get how did you feel about the Detroit area? Thank you! :D

When you first arrive, they have you try on white coats to determine your size. Nice personal touch there.

Right after, we were greeted by the 3rd year class president who was very energetic and friendly. He answered a bunch of questions and it was really informal to start. Showed us the gym, and since I'm Canadian, showed me where the bridge from Windsor is, as I was curious whether Canadians actually live in Windsor (they do). There was coffee and muffins etc available for breakfast if you wanted.

Then there was a short presentation by the Dean, and we divided into smaller groups for a tour. (From here, it depends on your individual schedule, some things are in different order depending on your group). Everyone met in one of the classrooms, and they had each student introduce themselves and where they are from. That was nice, to identify students from close to home. The faculty then all came in and introduced themselves. After that, there was a Q&A with just the students, about 6 or 7 of them, 'off the cuff'... I think after that I had my interview, and lastly a round table discussion with the director of admissions. He was really up front about our chances of getting in (good), and explained in detail the entire admissions process. Finally, the group came back together and the director of admissions kind of reiterated what he had just told us (I think we asked more about this than other groups, so we heard it twice).

It was a great experience, like I said my favourite school I've visited so far.

Reactions: 2 users

I stayed near the airport so I felt very safe. The campus is well secured and students say they always feel safe as well. Very few students actually live in Detroit, many have a 20-40 minute commute. They will share where they recommend living when you're there.

I just scheduled my interview. October 17th :) :) I'm extremely excited.

When you first arrive, they have you try on white coats to determine your size. Nice personal touch there.

Right after, we were greeted by the 3rd year class president who was very energetic and friendly. He answered a bunch of questions and it was really informal to start. Showed us the gym, and since I'm Canadian, showed me where the bridge from Windsor is, as I was curious whether Canadians actually live in Windsor (they do). There was coffee and muffins etc available for breakfast if you wanted.

Then there was a short presentation by the Dean, and we divided into smaller groups for a tour. (From here, it depends on your individual schedule, some things are in different order depending on your group). Everyone met in one of the classrooms, and they had each student introduce themselves and where they are from. That was nice, to identify students from close to home. The faculty then all came in and introduced themselves. After that, there was a Q&A with just the students, about 6 or 7 of them, 'off the cuff'... I think after that I had my interview, and lastly a round table discussion with the director of admissions. He was really up front about our chances of getting in (good), and explained in detail the entire admissions process. Finally, the group came back together and the director of admissions kind of reiterated what he had just told us (I think we asked more about this than other groups, so we heard it twice).

It was a great experience, like I said my favourite school I've visited so far.
Thank you for your detailed experience :)
It seems that you had a great time. I can't wait for mine.

what time are we expect to be done with entire interview?

what time are we expect to be done with entire interview?

I believe the entire schedule lasts 5 hrs. So if you start at 8am, you should get done by 1pm

Most D-school interviews tend to be like that.

Got an interview invite today! Super excited! I'll be driving to Detroit since I live 3 hours away (no point in flying?)

Hopefully there will be slots left for pre-dec. Does anyone know if this is a panel(open/closed file) or mmi situated interview?

Got an interview invite today! Super excited! I'll be driving to Detroit since I live 3 hours away (no point in flying?)

Hopefully there will be slots left for pre-dec. Does anyone know if this is a panel(open/closed file) or mmi situated interview?

Open file with 2 interviewers. You will love it though - it was very relaxed! Great school!

HI. Can you guys post your stats (GPA and DAT scores)?

I feel like i am extremey average applicant and would like to know what you guys did correctly to get interviews! ( I submitted my AADSAS in August, but the entire app was complete by 9/16 for UDM - my app says complete/under review)

is there any hope for me to wait for a late invite? UDM is my top choice

HI. Can you guys post your stats (GPA and DAT scores)?

I feel like i am extremey average applicant and would like to know what you guys did correctly to get interviews! ( I submitted my AADSAS in August, but the entire app was complete by 9/16 for UDM - my app says complete/under review)

is there any hope for me to wait for a late invite? UDM is my top choice

Hi! I'm pretty average myself. 3.7 ogpa 3.5 sgpa 21 ts 21 aa. I took the DAT 9/11 and received an interview invite 9/16. What are your stats?

Hi! I'm pretty average myself. 3.7 ogpa 3.5 sgpa 21 ts 21 aa. I took the DAT 9/11 and received an interview invite 9/16. What are your stats?

I just want to say that you're definitely above average! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I just want to say that you're definitely above average! :)

thank you! I see so many students with 3.9 gpa's and 25+ DAT that it led me to believe that I'm average!! lol so many overachievers ✊ thanks tho that was really nice.

thank you! I see so many students with 3.9 gpa's and 25+ DAT that it led me to believe that I'm average!! lol so many overachievers ✊ thanks tho that was really nice.

I know exactly how you feel! Everyone else's stats on SDN always has me 2nd guessing myself, but we still have a shot

Reactions: 1 users

Wow your DAT scores are deffo not that average..above average i'd say. Now me on the other hand, average or slightly below.

I have 19 AA/18 TS/20 PAT...3.65 overall GPA, 3.58 Sci
If you consider yourself to be average, what does that make me? LOL!

Interviewed there this weekend. Was really impressed with the staff and the people of Detroit as a whole.

Interview was very laid back. I had a 2 on 1 but it wasn't bad at all.

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if any students from udm undergrad campus got interview calls yet? Thanks

Re-posting: Anyone interviewing on the 14th or am I by my lonsome lol

Wow your DAT scores are deffo not that average..above average i'd say. Now me on the other hand, average or slightly below.

I have 19 AA/18 TS/20 PAT...3.65 overall GPA, 3.58 Sci
If you consider yourself to be average, what does that make me? LOL!

3.65 oGPA and 3.58 sGPA is average? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

To those who got interviews at UDM, What were your Stats?

Interviewing on the 14th at 1:00pm. The email says it should take two hours but from last year's thread it took ~4...? Which one is correct since I currently have my flight that evening and would rather know in advance if I should change it haha. Also where are people staying? Is taxi the only method of travel, it's expensive :(

Interviewing on the 14th at 1:00pm. The email says it should take two hours but from last year's thread it took ~4...? Which one is correct since I currently have my flight that evening and would rather know in advance if I should change it haha. Also where are people staying? Is taxi the only method of travel, it's expensive :(

I'm interviewing in the morning . I'll probably see you that day Lol

Had to re-schedule my interview. Anybody interviewing on Nov 11th?

How many people does UDM usually interview in a day?

So wanna go to UDM!!!!!!

please post stats!!!
Im DESPERATELY waiting to hear from UDM and want to know if i even have a shot!

19AA/18 TS 3.63 gpa/3.5 sci
application rcvd by UDM (complete) 9/16/2014

havent heard anything yet... :((

please post stats!!!
Im DESPERATELY waiting to hear from UDM and want to know if i even have a shot!

19AA/18 TS 3.63 gpa/3.5 sci
application rcvd by UDM (complete) 9/16/2014

havent heard anything yet... :((

How are your extra-curriculars and shadowing hours?

Last edited:
How are your extra-curriculars and shadowing hours?
I have about 110 hours of shadowing - one orthodontist (the one I see every month for my braces), a pediatric clinic that sees mostly Medicaid patients in Detroit, and another dental clinic in Detroit that serves uninsured/underinsured patients for little to no cost (been there for about 7 months before submitting AADSAS app)

Have about 300 hours of extracurriculars with a youth advocacy program in Detroit (work as a mentor for at risk students), active in a pre-dental organization and active member of the Honors college (TONS of volunteering/outreach stuff done since freshman year)

LORs were written by profs who know me inside and outside the classroom and one from the dental director of the low income clinic i volunteer at.

I hope they can look past my mediocre (if not downright low) scores/stats and see that I really care about this profession!

Your stats aren't mediocre. My oGPA is 3.56 and sGPA is 3.45 and My dat is 20AA/22PAT.

We are pretty similar on bases of academics