***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Save the Molar Bears

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that no one started this up yet. Hopefully this is okay, haha!

Link to interview prep: University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Last year's thread: ***The Official University of Minnesota Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

*edited by the staff to include a link to last year's thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else receive that their application is complete? Interview invites should be going out very soon.

Anyone else receive that their application is complete? Interview invites should be going out very soon.
My application is complete on AADSAS and I got the complete email on June 10.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
According to last year's thread, it looked like as if there was some confusion on whether or not in state students were typically held for later interview dates, or if they were also equally involved in the first few rounds. Does anyone know if us in staters will hear from the U as early as OOSers? Because, like Hunterdunc mentioned, the first batch of invites should be going out later this week or next, if keeping up with year over year trend.

Reactions: 1 users
According to last year's thread, it looked like as if there was some confusion on whether or not in state students were typically held for later interview dates, or if they were also equally involved in the first few rounds. Does anyone know if us in staters will hear from the U as early as OOSers? Because, like Hunterdunc mentioned, the first batch of invites should be going out later this week or next, if keeping up with year over year trend.

As an in-stater from last year’s cycle, I can attest that we are involved in the first rounds. I interviewed on the very first interview day last August. I’m not entirely sure if this IS/OOS is a thing or not.

As an in-stater from last year’s cycle, I can attest that we are involved in the first rounds. I interviewed on the very first interview day last August. I’m not entirely sure if this IS/OOS is a thing or not.

Perfect. That’s what I had assumed, but wanted to make sure. But it does cross off one excuse if I don’t receive an early invite, ha.

Got an interview yesterday as an OOS! August 21st! So excited

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Everyone,
I went through the application cycle last year and got into UMN class 2023. If you have any questions regarding the application and my experience, feel free to msg me!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Everyone,
I went through the application cycle last year and got into UMN class 2023. If you have any questions regarding the application and my experience, feel free to msg me!
Is applying to August considered late or our chances still strong even though they've already been sending out interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi actually sent in my application a few days before the deadline, and still got an interview. So I wouldn't considered August to be late. But make sure your essays speak to the mission of the school. They will take the time to go through your entire application and use a holistic approach. You can dm me and I can go over my application experience if you'd like

I just came back from my Minnesota interview, if anyone has any questions about the process or anything else relevant just lmk. c:

Interview #2
School: Minnesota
Notification date: 9/13
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IS
Application complete date: application fee received 8/2
GPA (science, overall): 3.83, 3.83
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22,20,24,24,none
Interview Date: 9/30

Interview #2
School: U of MN
Notification date: 09/16/19
Residency: MN
Application complete date: 09/10/19
GPA (science, overall): 3.98, 3.82
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/23/20/24/none
Dates available: 10/7

Hi everyone! I just received an interview invitation for 1/29/20! Very excited for it. I am an international student! :)

congrats! mind sharing your stat?
I have 22AA 22TS but my overall GPA 3.2 is not that strong. Given that, I really didn't expect an interview from a state school!

Hi everyone! I just received an interview invitation for 1/29/20! Very excited for it. I am an international student! :)
When did you apply to the school? Wondering how long it takes to receive an invite after you submit your application.

When did you apply to the school? Wondering how long it takes to receive an invite after you submit your application.
I submitted AADSAS 7/26 but my application was completed 8/26 due to some issues with my reference(got invitation 11/11). I think my GPA is not competitive for pre-dec interview but my supplemental essays really speak to the school's mission.

Interview #5!
School: University of Minnnesota
Notification date: 11/20
Residency: Minnesota
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/21
Application complete date: 6/26
GPA (science, overall): 3.70, 3.56
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/RC/any section below a 17): 20/19/20/20/none
Interview: 1/8/20

As an instater, I've been awaiting this email the entire cycle! Can't wait to see what the U has to offer.

If anyone has tips, or an overview of what the day is like, it would be greatly appreciated

In looking through last years thread I noticed @queenki posted this screenshot. It appears to be from the ADEA explorer. This is from last year's explorer, clearly, as this year's does not contain info on Number Interviewed. I'm just curious if the class of 2023 had similar numbers. Mainly because an ~85% in state enrollment number after being interviewed is cause for optimism if true.
1574454701678.png

In-stater here...I applied to UMN in October with a lot of hesitation, since that is pretty late in the cycle. Received an interview offer the next week! Interview is in January. So grateful :soexcited: Congrats to everyone who is interviewing this cycle! :)

what is the interview style at UofMinn dental?

Accepted! 2:07 AM. !!!!!

Did anyone hear back after 2:07? All the emails seem to have gone out at the same time...

Accepted at 2:07 AM Central Time.

Reactions: 2 users
Does Minnesota reject after interview or its just acceptance/WL?

Congratulations on your acceptances! Looking forward to meeting you all! :happy:
I am a current D1, so ask away any questions!
All the acceptances today sent out at the same time. Unfortunately, for others, it means waitlisted until they interview more people and compare it again. And for some, they will not announce until even summer. Usually, the round of rejections will be send in a few months. Try to be patient, as many individuals will turn down their acceptances in a couple of weeks (their deadline by the end of the month).
Let me know if you have more questions about the process!

When does Minnesota send out more acceptances?

Has anyone gotten any scholarship offers yet?

When does Minnesota send out more acceptances?
I know they told us that they won’t send anything more out during December. They want to see how many seats they fill with their December acceptances and then in January start evaluating applicants again for the remaining seats and will send out applications rolling from then til they fill.

Hi all,
I just got an interview invitation this morning. Is there any hotel suggestions and what kinds of questions are asked during the interview?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering I anyone can answer how hard it is to get residency for the university of Minnesota (I heard it's impossible). Also for any former/current students how accurate is the schools estimate COA?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering I anyone can answer how hard it is to get residency for the university of Minnesota (I heard it's impossible). Also for any former/current students how accurate is the schools estimate COA?

I can't speak to residency, but I can a little in regards to COA. Or at least in terms of living expenses. Looking at the ADEA explorer, the living expenses are very overblown. Depending on where you want to live, and in what kind of dwelling(apartment, duplex, house), you can certainly live for $10k less than their estimates, conservatively. If you're willing to share a living space, you can find plenty of houses and duplexes for rent within biking/commuting distance that will run you $650/person. Now, if you want an apartment to yourself, expect $1,300, but that is still cheaper than the explorer's estimate. Aside from that, you can find good food a bunch of places around the U and it shouldn't cost more than $15 for easily enough food. Just be smart, and shop around for an apartment, and you'll be able to save a lot! Also, remember that the school is directly off the lightrail, so you can easily commute in from anywhere along that lightrail route.

Has anyone gotten any scholarship offers yet?

To my knowledge, scholarships usually granted with an acceptance package. After that, I did not hear anyone getting additional ones. One exception to this is getting $1k grant (once/for a year) to selected low-income fafsa applicants.

Is there a Facebook page?

It's usually created by someone who got accepted, not upperclassmen. It's a good tool to figure out staff before everyone meets during orientation.

Hi all,
I just got an interview invitation this morning. Is there any hotel suggestions and what kinds of questions are asked during the interview?

There is hotel option across the street, called Graduate Minneapolis hotel. This is one of the best options if you can afford, since the weather can influence your commute and you don't want to be late at 7:30 am.
The questions are situational based, so you will be asked about a time that some event occurred and what did you do and the result of the action you took. They believe it will help predict your future behavior once they understand your past behavior and actions you took.

Hi everyone,

Any residency is hard to get in, you need to be unique and show your achievements. On the other hand, don't have great knowledge on specifics.
I decided to live on my own, thus I spend a lot on my apartment. Their estimate for room and boards is $1200, but I spend $1400 (with utilities/internet). I maxed out the loans and thus I am little short. I don't by clothes or spend on car/gas/insurance and still have to be tight on budget. Although I do go out and hangout reasonably and like to get good groceries. One big purchase you will do is buy a loupes which is not included in COA, so keep that in mind. In short, it's accurate for tuition and fees, the variability comes on how much you spend for housing.

Congrats on the acceptance. Hey, how was your interview? I have mine on Jan 20th

Good luck with your interview! My interview went smoothly. There a lots of good practice questions on SDN. My interview was a morning one. The day started with a breakfast and an introductory meeting with my fellow interviewers and the Dean of Admissions. Then were the interviews, which were with two staff members, and then there was a tour. Be ready to answer a number of situational questions. I thought it was fairly relaxed though, you can skip questions and return to them. It wasn't too nerve-racking, but then again I don't really mind interviews too much.

I created a Facebook page everybody! University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2024. There is no cover photo yet. Let me know if you’re able to access it!

I created a Facebook page everybody! University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2024. There is no cover photo yet. Let me know if you’re able to access it!
can you put a link please?? nothing's showing up when I search it!