The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@DoctingDoc that bill passed Texas Senate and last I tracked it, was still in Texas House of Representatives committee. If it also passes in the House the governor said he would sign it. More information and links are on the SHSU 2022-2023 page.

Here is a link to the last news on that page: #591
The HB881 was left pending in the House Appropriations Committee on April 17. It did have support there but a final vote has not occurred so far. Correction: see the link to show that it has been voted in
If the bill passes, the tuition for SHSU-COM would come down to the lower range of other state-subsidized Texas medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@DoctingDoc that bill passed Texas Senate and last I tracked it, was still in Texas House of Representatives committee. If it also passes in the House the governor said he would sign it. More information and links are on the SHSU 2022-2023 page.

Here is a link to the last news on that page: #591
The HB881 was left pending in the House Appropriations Committee on April 17. It did have support there but a final vote has not occurred so far.
If the bill passes, the tuition for SHSU-COM would come down to the lower range of other state-subsidized Texas medical schools.
That is a little out of date I think. If you check the link I sent over you can see the senate bill passed the house as well and got the governor’s signature. I don’t think the House bill is relevant anymore since the identical senate bill already passed the house. Although I admit I’m not that well versed in legislative matters so if anyone else has something to correct please do.

Reactions: 3 users
That is a little out of date I think. If you check the link I sent over you can see the senate bill passed the house as well and got the governor’s signature. I don’t think the House bill is relevant anymore since the identical senate bill already passed the house. Although I admit I’m not that well versed in legislative matters so if anyone else has something to correct please do.
Thanks @DoctingDoc for the update, your link shows it was signed by the governor on May 19th so that's great news for people considering SHSU-COM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @DoctingDoc for the update, your link shows it was signed by the governor on May 19th so that's great news for people considering SHSU-COM.
Do you know when this will come into effect? Will incoming MS1s or current students get reduced tuition, or just future classes?

Reactions: 1 user
SHSU is recruiting students with profile much closer to rest of the Texas schools compared to UIW primarily because they keep applying for state funds to provide instate tuition. They are expected to do better on boards since higher MCAT scores correlate to higher board scores.
Sounds like SHSU recruiting students to meet the other Texas school standards has paid off.

BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE
Sam Houston State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM) was established
in 2019 to help expand health care availability in small and rural communities and address the
shortage of primary care physicians in Texas. SHSU-COM is already one of the most
competitive schools of its kind in the country with matriculant metrics, including MCAT scores
and GPA, higher than the national average. Currently, the average in-state tuition and fees at a
public medical school in Texas are about $23,800, but in-state tuition and fees at SHSU-COM
are $59,100. S.B. 1563 seeks to eliminate disparities between SHSU-COM attendance costs and
costs of other Texas medical schools by making SHSU-COM eligible for applicable formula
funding.

Texas Roundup May 24, 2023

May 24, 2023

1 SHSU offer of admission from WL

Up For Grabs Again:
May 22, 2023

1 spot relinquished at Long, IS, going OOS
May 24, 2023
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, going OOS

What's up? Share your news!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Texas Roundup May 24, 2023

May 24, 2023

Up For Grabs Again:
May 22, 2023

1 spot relinquished at Long, IS, going OOS

What's up? Share your news!
Lucky lucky - SHSU COA is going to drop a lot.

Such great news for SHSU folks! Definitely would take them over UIWSOM on academics alone but this would seal the deal.

Texas Roundup May 26, 2023
May 25, 2023

1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, IS

May 26, 2023
1 TCU offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>accepted

Careful 'round that BBQ grill this weekend, y'all, and check in if you get any good news surprises!

Last edited:
Texas Roundup May 31, 2023

May 2x, 2023

1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS

May 30, 2023
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again
May 31, 2023

1 spot relinquished at U H Fertitta, IS

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I decided where I will be attending! After 2 weeks of deliberation, speaking with current students at both schools, and looking at finances, I decided that I'm going to Kentucky.

I only got loans at Wisconsin while I got a scholarship at Kentucky!

It's a regional campus at Kentucky with only 35 students, so I felt that I would be happier there and better supported!
Thank you all for your support, I really appreciated it!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
f803c20253d117a6040e7b0c020dbf2c--miniature-horses-for-sale-miniature-ponies.jpg

Texas Roundup June 2-4, 2023. (It's little, but we'll take it)

June 1, 2023
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, IS

June 2, 2023
1 UH Fertitta offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding...
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, IS

June 3,2023
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, deciding...

I'll add more over the weekend if I see something -share your news!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I decided where I will be attending! After 2 weeks of deliberation, speaking with current students at both schools, and looking at finances, I decided that I'm going to Kentucky.

I only got loans at Wisconsin while I got a scholarship at Kentucky!

It's a regional campus at Kentucky with only 35 students, so I felt that I would be happier there and better supported!
Thank you all for your support, I really appreciated it!
Kentucky informed us that all incoming M1s will receive an iPad! Such a nice perk!

Texas Roundup June 8-13, 2023

June 7, 2023

1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, OOS

June 8, 2023
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, IS

June 12, 2023

June 13, 2023
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, declined

Up for Grabs Again:
June 8, 2023

1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM, IS
June 13, 2023
1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM, IS

Anybody else hear something new ? ? ?

Last edited:
sub-buzz-10276-1510665252-1.jpg

Texas Roundup June 14-18, 2023 ~~~~~~~~ it's a mood...

June 14, 2023
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding...
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding...

June 15, 2023
2 TCU offers of admission from WL, OOS

June 12, 2023 (shared news later)
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, accepted
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding...

Let's see what rolls out over the weekend.
I know some of you are already submitting reapplications - if so, try to turn your energies there.

Last edited:
Texas Roundup June 24, 2023

June 23, 2023

1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined (sticking with current school)

old west.jpg

Y'all stay out of trouble while you're waiting around, ya hear?

Last edited:
Almost Done with Our Roundups:

1st half of June:
We had 15 SDN members share news of offers from Waitlists

2nd half of June: Only 1 SDN member has shared news of a Waitlist offer.

The June offers have come from TCU, U of Houston Fertitta, SHSU, TCOM, and UIWSOM.
I haven't heard of any other TMDSAS MD offers since the end of May.
At least one TMDSAS school has already begun MS1 orientation, so their class is complete.

Anybody with secret news please share it with us here!
I'll leave this thread open another week or so and then we'll break camp for the 2022-2023 season.

Almost Done with Our Roundups:

1st half of June:
We had 15 SDN members share news of offers from Waitlists

2nd half of June: Only 1 SDN member has shared news of a Waitlist offer.

The June offers have come from TCU, U of Houston Fertitta, SHSU, TCOM, and UIWSOM.
I haven't heard of any other TMDSAS MD offers since the end of May.
At least one TMDSAS school has already begun MS1 orientation, so their class is complete.

Anybody with secret news please share it with us here!
I'll leave this thread open another week or so and then we'll break camp for the 2022-2023 season.
If I am not mistaken, Commit to Enroll is 3 weeks before orientation start date.

Every admitted student is required to commit either manually or auto at their one school even if they have waitlists which means schools should be aware 3 weeks before orientation if they still have an open spot.

If I am not mistaken, Commit to Enroll is 3 weeks before orientation start date.

Every admitted student is required to commit either manually or auto at their one school even if they have waitlists which means schools should be aware 3 weeks before orientation if they still have an open spot.
I don’t know when orientation start dates are at each school to be honest.

I don’t know when orientation start dates are at each school to be honest.
I saw the post saying the orientation has started and so we should move on but my guess is the move on where the orientation started should be considered closed 3 weeks ago based on CTE requirements at MD schools. I was helping someone last year on UH waitlist and they never released them and wouldn't respond to emails or phonecalls. We saw a facebook post that confirmed the class was full because UH was doing a preorientation orientation where they said the entire class showed up.

• Wow
I saw the post saying the orientation has started and so we should move on but my guess is the move on where the orientation started should be considered closed 3 weeks ago based on CTE requirements at MD schools. I was helping someone last year on UH waitlist and they never released them and wouldn't respond to emails or phonecalls. We saw a facebook post that confirmed the class was full because UH was doing a preorientation orientation where they said the entire class showed up.
I’ve seen a few on the Waitlist Support Thread get off of waitlists after CTE

assuming it’s rare and only due to people deferring or dropping due to extenuating circumstances

I’ve seen a few on the Waitlist Support Thread get off of waitlists after CTE

assuming it’s rare and only due to people deferring or dropping due to extenuating circumstances
It should be happening right around then since when people dont commit, the school can drop them and add replacements.

Orientation comes 3 weeks later.

UT Tyler and Dell have started new student orientation.
This year's accepted Texans, chime in & tell us when your school's orientation begins :)

**Edited to list your contributions, thanks!
Orientation for new students begins:
June 26 UT Tyler
June 26 Dell
June 29 UTRGV
June 30 A&M EnMed
July 5 UTMB
July 5 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)
July 10 TCOM
July 17 A & M
July 17 U of Houston Fertitta
July 21 Baylor
July 24 UIWSOM
July 26 SHSU
July 26 Texas Tech Lubbock
July 31 McGovern
July 31 UTSW

Last edited:
This year's accepted Texans, chime in & tell us when your school's orientation begins
July 21st for Baylor!

• Love
July 17th for TAMU!

• Love
Wonder why UTMB is starting so early. We are in the middle of a heat wave.
we will still be in the middle of a heat wave in a month.
UTMB the last couple of years has had a longer orientation in an effort to get students comfortable with being there and stepping up to be a (pre) medical professional in word and deed before the onslaught of heavy coursework.

Yep, we have a 3-day orientation and then our first block is essentially an "orientation to med school" block :)

I'm an accepted Texan student, but at an OOS school. Orientation for Kentucky is on July 24th!

This year's accepted Texans, chime in & tell us when your school's orientation begins :)

June 26 UT Tyler, Dell
July 5 UTMB
July 17 A & M
July 21 Baylor
July 31 McGovern

July 26 for SHSU

• Love

June 26 UT Tyler, Dell
July 5 UTMB
July 17 A & M
July 21 Baylor
July 31 McGovern
July 24th for UIWSOM

• Love
Hearing everyone sound off like this warms my heart. Let’s go SDN class of 2027 ❤️

• Love
  • Care

June 26 UT Tyler, Dell
July 5 UTMB
July 17 A & M
July 21 Baylor
July 24 UIWSOM
July 26 SHSU
July 31 McGovern
July 31 UTSW

July 26th for TTU Lubbock

Can someone starting at Long, A&M EnMed, U of Houston Fertitta, or Texas Tech El Paso
add your info about when orientation starts at your school? :=|:-):

Last edited:
Foster is July 5th as well!

Edit: and Fertitta is 7/17!

Texas Roundup July 7, 2023

July 6, 2023

1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, accepted
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, accepted

July 17, 2023

I looked for an image of "Its's not over till the fat lady sings" and found one with a horse in it :rofl:
main-qimg-49ed6d98a6aa492c4d21a1255767e0e5-lq.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Will a thread like this be made for the 2023-2024 cycle?
Yes, I'm going to make one in a week or two. I will bring everyone up to date on the 2023-2024 cycle when I create that new thread.

In the meantime, these Texas schools have broken the ice and sent out their first 2023-2024 interview invitations!
UT Tyler July 3, 20
SHSU July 3,6, and 11
Texas Tech Lubbock July 11,17, 20
Texas Tech El Paso July 12,19
McGovern July 13,19
U of H Fertitta July 17
EnMed (A&M) July 18
A&M July 19
Dell July 19
Baylor July 21

In the new thread I will keep a running tally like this to share what dates I hear about of interview invitations.
Most schools will begin inviting in August or late July.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Yes, I'm going to make one in a week or two. I will bring everyone up to date on the 2023-2024 cycle when I create that new thread.
In the meantime, 3 Texas schools have broken the ice and sent out their first interview invitations!
UT Tyler July 3
SHSU July 3,6, and 7
Texas Tech Lubbock July 11

In the new thread I will keep a running tally like this to share what dates I hear about of interview invitations.
Most schools will begin inviting in August or late July.
Appreciate it!

In the meantime, 3 Texas schools have broken the ice and sent out their first interview invitations!
UT Tyler July 3
SHSU July 3,6, and 7
Texas Tech Lubbock July 11
Just making sure... these are first notices, not first interview days. Those days seemed really early!

Just making sure... these are first notices, not first interview days. Those days seemed really early!
The first interview day at SHSU is pretty early (July 21st) and is the only available date at this time. More to come soon!

10055067585_89d0de7594_c.jpg

She says it ain't over!

We're
still having a few WL offers trickling in!
July 20, 2023

1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, OOS
3 TCOM offers of admission from WL, IS, for a deferred start in 2024.

This is uncommon in TMDSAS schools, but can happen when there's an applicant a school really likes but the WL didn't move enough for that student to join this year's class.

Last edited:
  • Love
Status
Not open for further replies.