The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so great, thanks for putting this together. A small addendum-- after May 15th, only Texas residents cannot receive any new offers if they have a TMDSAS acceptance.
I disagree with you on this point @beegmamamuskrat , but you do you

Members don't see this ad.

You are only disagreeing with TMDSAS Deadlines & Important Dates.
In the tradition of Southern women everywhere I will only say, “Bless your heart”.

Yes, this is true for Texas applicants to TMDSAS, as stated in the chart which another SDN member posted a scrap of, and which you have linked to this year's TMDSAS site to show your source.
This chart does not state whether the rule is also true for an OOS applicant who already holds a seat at a TMDSAS school on May 15th.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Random question: is wearing cowboy boots appropriate for a white coat ceremony... that isn't for a Texas school.... in Texas I've always seen cowboy boots being worn at formal events but I wasn't sure if it would be considered out of dress code for a formal event that isn't happening in the great state of Texas LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Random question: is wearing cowboy boots appropriate for a white coat ceremony... that isn't for a Texas school.... in Texas I've always seen cowboy boots being worn at formal events but I wasn't sure if it would be considered out of dress code for a formal event that isn't happening in the great state of Texas LOL
It is a white coat ceremony and your day. Wear whatever you want! Represent Texas. :)

• Love
Texas Roundup May 12, 2023

May 12, 2023:

1 A & M offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Texas Tech Lubbock offer of admission from WL, OOS
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS
2 UTMB offers of admission from WL
1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
May 12, 2023:

1 spot relinquished at Long, IS
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, IS
1 spot relinquished at U of H Fertitta, IS
1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS

You know the drill: share your news, y'all

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Texas Roundup May 12, 2023

May 12, 2023:

1 A & M offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS
2 UTMB offers of admission from WL
1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
May 12, 2023:

1 spot relinquished at Long, IS
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, IS
1 spot relinquished at U of H Fertitta, IS

You know the drill: share your news, y'all
One of the UTMB folks also relinquished a Foster acceptance!

Hey me too! I decided to stick with my Texas school but I had a really surprising acceptance to MSU! I withdrew from MSU a little bit ago. It was a very difficult choice.
Congrats on the Texas med school acceptance! I got the R from all Texas med schools and other states where I had ties to. But still excited to be going to med school in Kentucky. I had no ties.

• Love
Congrats on the Texas med school acceptance! I got the R from all Texas med schools and other states where I had ties to. But still excited to be going to med school in Kentucky. I had no ties.
Admissions are crazy sometimes. Had a friend with the exact opposite situation (rejected nationwide but admitted solely to Long out of state).

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There was someone here who didnt post - relocated here and worked for 2 years, had LM around 77 but great 2 year experience, only had one interview but didnt match (top 2 school in Texas) but 3 outside and got in all of them, and went to a T20 ivy with a lot of FA money.

Last edited:
With TMDSAS reopening tomorrow: how much would I screw myself time wise if I submitted Friday vs Tomorrow? I’m a low stats applicant so I know time is important.

With TMDSAS reopening tomorrow: how much would I screw myself time wise if I submitted Friday vs Tomorrow? I’m a low stats applicant so I know time is important.
I submitted my TMDSAS app about 2 weeks after it opened and it didn't seem to put me at a big disadvantage. It's okay to take a few more days to get everything right.

Texas Roundup May 15, 2023

May 14, 2023

1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS

May 15, 2023
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS, Temple location
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, deciding...
1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, OOS
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Fertitta offer of admission from WL, declined
1 Fertitta offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>accepted
1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>declined
1 A&M offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
May 15, 2023

1 spot relinquished at TCOM, IS
1 spot relinquished at TCOM, OOS

There might be some more today, will update as I hear any news :highfive:

Last edited:
I submitted my TMDSAS app about 2 weeks after it opened and it didn't seem to put me at a big disadvantage. It's okay to take a few more days to get everything right.
thanks! i submitted mid-june last year and it took me eight weeks to get verified so I didn’t know how long it took for it to get that backed up

thanks! i submitted mid-june last year and it took me eight weeks to get verified so I didn’t know how long it took for it to get that backed up
I want to comment that this was an unusually long length of time for verification, but as I recall you were submitting challenges and questions about your course classifications so that added time for your particular application.

Last edited:
  • Wow
So after May 15, where does waitlist movement even come from? Since there’s no shuffling between admits anymore

I want to comment that this was an unusually long length of time for verification, but as I recall you were submitting challenges and questions about your course classifications so that added time for your particular application.
I did that after verification & transmission- they didn’t end up changing anything! It genuinely took 8 weeks beginning to end- I was keeping track on the tracker on their main page and I was verified at the same time as the rest of those who submitted on the day I did. I think it was just really backed up.

So after May 15, where does waitlist movement even come from? Since there’s no shuffling between admits anymore
Usually from someone moving OOS or someone approved for a deferral since no one is changing schools within the state. Many continue to stay on waitlists outside the state.

1. There will be OOS applicants who are still on a WL for Texas schools but have no Texas offers so far

2. There will be Texas applicants who interviewed in Texas but had received a "No Match" message on Match Day. Not a small number!
Last year's numbers for TMDSAS, (includes both IS and OOS applicants):
6833 applied
3483 were interviewed
2544 were offered admission
2143 matriculated

3. There will be TMDSAS applicants who have AACOMAS admissions but only TMDSAS WL's

4. There will be Texans who had a TMDSAS seat but left it for a WL offer from Big Famous OOS U

5. The smallest number of new seats may arise when some serious life event prevents an accepted student from starting this year.

Reactions: 3 users
was offered a spot at Fertitta today and graciously declined

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
A buddy I met on the interview trail was offered a spot off the waitlist at UTSW. Currently accepted to McGovern. Talk about down to the wire! They have two days to decide.

• Wow
Hello! First time posting here on SDN, but I had a question regarding admissions. I'm an OOS Student (hailing from CA) but have an acceptance to UT McGovern. I interviewed at UTSW way back in October, but have had only radio silence from them since. The April 30th and May 15th deadlines came and went; I was wondering what the chances are that UTSW could still get back to me with an A? I'm currently planning for McGovern, but would love to go to UTSW (my girlfriend is going to Dallas as well for PA school). If UTSW did extend an offer, would it be rude/unwise to even accept it, considering McGovern considers me committed to them?

Hello! First time posting here on SDN, but I had a question regarding admissions. I'm an OOS Student (hailing from CA) but have an acceptance to UT McGovern. I interviewed at UTSW way back in October, but have had only radio silence from them since. The April 30th and May 15th deadlines came and went; I was wondering what the chances are that UTSW could still get back to me with an A? I'm currently planning for McGovern, but would love to go to UTSW (my girlfriend is going to Dallas as well for PA school). If UTSW did extend an offer, would it be rude/unwise to even accept it, considering McGovern considers me committed to them?
Not very clear on whether OOS students still have waitlists in Texas while they are admitted to another school in Texas but you are not committed to a school unless you clicked the Commit to Enroll button in AMCAS. Technically people could be on waitlists outside of Texas with an admission in Texas, even those IS.

Not very clear on whether OOS students still have waitlists in Texas while they are admitted to another school in Texas but you are not committed to a school unless you clicked the Commit to Enroll button in AMCAS. Technically people could be on waitlists outside of Texas with an admission in Texas, even those IS.
So at the moment, unless I click "Commit to Enroll" on AMCAS, then I can still hear back from UTSW and go, if that's what happens? If yes, what are the chances of that actually happening 😅 I know I'm in a minority of minority populations but just wondering if I should hold out any hope at all.

So at the moment, unless I click "Commit to Enroll" on AMCAS, then I can still hear back from UTSW and go, if that's what happens? If yes, what are the chances of that actually happening 😅 I know I'm in a minority of minority populations but just wondering if I should hold out any hope at all.
I have seen a difference of opinion about whether someone OOS can retain a waitlist in Texas if their current admission is in a Texas school. You may want to check with UTSW if you are still on a waitlist. Some people did receive an email from UTSW stating they are on a waitlist at the end of April. From what I have seen, not everyone who interviewed received such an email.

Commit to Enroll means you give up any waitlists outside Texas too.

Texas Roundup May 17, 2023

May 17, 2023

1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
May 16, 2023

1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech Lubbock, IS
1 spot relinquished at A & M, going OOS

May 17, 2023
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, IS, going OOS

Share your news :shy:

SHSU is recruiting students with profile much closer to rest of the Texas schools compared to UIW primarily because they keep applying for state funds to provide instate tuition. They are expected to do better on boards since higher MCAT scores correlate to higher board scores.

Hi all! I know this might not be the right thread for this post. I had been accepted to UIW a while back but just recently got off the waitlist to SHSU. Shortly after my interview at SHSU, I had decided that it would be my first choice (DO app was competitive, not so much MD). However while waiting and eventually being waitlisted, I became pretty set on UIW. Now, I'm having trouble deciding between both schools. I know that UIW has mandatory classes as well as a dress code but those don’t bother me. I’m also not worried about the financial aspects since I’ll be going the HPSP route. Overall, I think that both schools are great but I’m just unsure which option would be the better one. Anyone else decide on SHSU vs another school or UIW vs another school or just between both? Any advice? Thanks!

SHSU pros
  • Closer to home (1 hr)
  • Great interview vibe
  • Collaborative environment based on interview experience
  • Great board scores
  • New facilities
SHSU cons
  • Hasn’t graduated a class yet
  • School is further from urban Houston
UIW pros
  • New dean has been making lots of changes that a lot students I’ve met have enjoyed such as waning away from free response questions and more board style ones
  • Good match rate
  • Also was a great interview vibe
  • Collaborative environment based on interview experience
  • Classes 8-12
  • School is closer to urban San Antonio
UIW cons
  • Further from home (3 hrs)
  • Older facilities
  • Lower board scores (will have to wait a bit to see if recent curriculum changes have improved the scores)
I was in a somewhat similar position of deciding between two programs where one had required in-person classes. When talking to medical students about which program to pick, they all recommended the program with recorded lectures. I would think that the time saved from recorded lectures would be very helpful, especially at a DO program where you have to spend extra time on OMM. Just one perspective.

• Wow
I just got accepted to another OOS public school with no ties as a TX resident! This is going to be a tough decision!

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I just got accepted to another OOS public school with no ties as a TX resident! This is going to be a tough decision!
Congratulations! Amazing that everyone outside of Texas loves you but Texas has given you the shade.

Texas Roundup May 18, 2023

May 17, 2023

1 Texas Tech El Paso offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined

May 18, 2023

1 SHSU Offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Texas Tech Lubbock offer of admission from WL, OOS, deciding...
1 Dell offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>declined
1 Long offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>accepted
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS

Share your news, I can only post what y'all tell me :giggle:

Last edited:
Thank you! Yes, strange, but still excited to be deciding between these 2 schools!
It is great though. Wisconsin is very respectable and highly ranked school and looks like the classsize is not that big. Very hard to get in as OOS so you did very well.

• Love
It is great though. Wisconsin is very respectable and highly ranked school and looks like the classsize is not that big. Very hard to get in as OOS so you did very well.
That is true! I haven't decided where I'm going yet, but will post when I do!

Texas Roundup May 20, 2023

May 19, 2023
2 Dell offers of admission from WL, IS

May 20, 2023
3 UIWSOM offers of admission from WL, IS
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>declined, going OOS

Let's keep the good news coming in!

Last edited:
SHSU is recruiting students with profile much closer to rest of the Texas schools compared to UIW primarily because they keep applying for state funds to provide instate tuition. They are expected to do better on boards since higher MCAT scores correlate to higher board scores.
Also SHSU just got approved to get formula funding recently. Wonder how that’s gonna impact their admissions next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.