The Republic of Texas XLI: You'll Never Break A Horse if You Stay Sittin' on the Fence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
April 30th: Medical applicants with multiple offers must decide which program to attend and withdraw from other schools

Would this mean all WL movement after April 30th is just from people not being able to start school?

April 30th: Medical applicants with multiple offers must decide which program to attend and withdraw from other schools

Would this mean all WL movement after April 30th is just from people not being able to start school?
Not really, because that is the AMCAS rule.
WL offers in TX can go to anyone until May 15, and after that date only to those holding no TMDSAS acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really, because that is the AMCAS rule.
WL offers in TX can go to anyone until May 15, and after that date only to those holding no TMDSAS acceptances.
Ahh ok. So WL movement after May 15th would just be from people with last minute decisions about starting school this year. Not necessarily them choosing another school?

Ahh ok. So WL movement after May 15th would just be from people with last minute decisions about starting school this year. Not necessarily them choosing another school?
No.

1. Anyone IS in Texas holding an admission as of May 15th may not be on waitlist for another Texas school. The waitlists get dropped for all others and they must attend the school where they have an admission.
2. Anyone IS in Texas not having any admission can stay on waitlist until the school drops their waitlist.
3. However people holding admission to MD school at most schools are bound by AMCAS rule that says you commit to enroll 3 (4?) weeks before orientation at any MD school where you are holding an admission. So if there is an admission outside of Texas, even those waiting on waitlists will be forced to commit elsewhere.

I just got an email from TTUHSC saying that they have placed me on the alternate list. When would be a good time to send a letter of intent? I've got my dissertation defense on Wednesday so I'd like to send the letter on Thursday or Friday so that I'd have some meaningful updates to provide to the committee
Dissertation?! You're going to be a doctor squared?! Good luck!!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! Yes that is the goal haha. I’ll update y’all with the results (hopefully good news) Wednesday afternoon!
Hey guys, I’ve got good news! I passed with flying color! I’ve got my PhD! Now I can celebrate getting into med school lol

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 22 users
695123.jpg

Texas Roundup: March 15, 2023 : Can't wait to get out of the gate!

I'll start up my Texas Roundup posts for this 2022-2023 season.

Texas Roundup posts are where I list all the new regular admissions, WL admissions and the withdrawals that I see from Texas-school SDN members.

WL action usually starts out painfully slow, but this year is different because we saw WL offers starting as soon as March 7th!
Today's post will include all the WL offers SDN members have shared from Match Day (March 3, 2023) to today. I will also list places where Texans have withdrawn from an acceptance due to an offer they prefer.

After this, the Roundups will be just what's been posted since the prior Roundup. This is just for fun and I can only see what people share on SDN, I don't have any insider source. I'll say IS or OOS if I know.

Disclaimers out of the way, let's rodeo!

March 7-8, 2023

1 McGovern offer of admission from WL
3 A&M offers of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:

2 spots relinquished at TCOM
1 spot relinquished at Lubbock

March 10-14, 2023

2 UTMB offers of admission from WL
1 TCU offer of admission
2 McGovern offers of admission from WL
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Lubbock
1 spot relinquished at Dell
1 spot relinquished at A&M
1 spot relinquished at UTSW

Share news when ya get it!
If you want to DM me your news, I'll post it anonymously
Good luck to all y'all on the WLs!

Reactions: 10 users
@wysdoc for a minute I thought you were at Houston rodeo and posting pictures!

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas Roundup March 26, 2023

March 13 - 23, 2023
Up for Grabs Again:

1 spot relinquished at UTSW
1 spot relinquished at UIWSOM (going OOS)
1 spot relinquished at TCU (going OOS)
1 spot relinquished at Lubbock (OOS student going OOS)

March 24, 2023
2 TCU offers of admission

It's still pretty early for WL action even in Texas, more will happen starting the second half of April.

Reactions: 9 users
Is it normal that the school rank page disappeared? I can't see the "congratulations, you matched..." anymore.

Is it normal that the school rank page disappeared? I can't see the "congratulations, you matched..." anymore.
probably, but I don't get to see portals so I don't know.
The rank list disappeared when it was no longer an active part of your portal.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question: so I am OOS. My first choice is an OOS school that I am currently on the waitlist for. My second choice is a Texas school that I have gotten in to. Is that April 30th deadline still binding for me? In other words, how long can I hold my waitlist at my first choice OOS school and the Texas school I was accepted to? This Texas school is also unique in that courses start in MAY.

Quick question: so I am OOS. My first choice is an OOS school that I am currently on the waitlist for. My second choice is a Texas school that I have gotten in to. Is that April 30th deadline still binding for me? In other words, how long can I hold my waitlist at my first choice OOS school and the Texas school I was accepted to? This Texas school is also unique in that courses start in MAY.
pretty sure that TMDSAS schools & AMCAS schools do not interact when it comes to the April 30th deadline so you can keep holding your waitlist spot till you start school!

You can stay on your OOS waitlist.
The April 30 date encourages you not to hold more than one acceptance. You only hold 1 acceptance.
If you are also on any TMDSAS waitlists you are only eligible to be accepted from that WL until May 15.

Texas Roundup April 2, 2023

Up for Grabs Again:

March 26, 2023
1 spot relinquished at TCU
March 29, 2023

1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS
April 2, 2023

1 spot relinquished at A&M, IS

Here’s just one more reason that TMA is the best state medical association, taking care of its doctors and medical students.
Are you moving far from your Texas medical school to your residency location ?
TMA is offering loans to graduating med students to cover your moving costs, and the funds will be available in time to get you there.
Read about the application process here:
If you found out your residency destination during the recent Match Day but now find yourself scrambling to gather the funds to get there, the Texas Medical Association is here to help you finance the next leg of your medical education.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Here’s just one more reason that TMA is the best state medical association, taking care of its doctors and medical students.
Are you moving far from your Texas medical school to your residency location ?
TMA is offering loans to graduating med students to cover your moving costs, and the funds will be available in time to get you there.
Read about the application process here:
If you found out your residency destination during the recent Match Day but now find yourself scrambling to gather the funds to get there, the Texas Medical Association is here to help you finance the next leg of your medical education.
Blessed be the Kingdom of Texas.

• Haha
Texas Roundup April 8, 2023

March 24. 2023
1 TCU offer of admission, OOS

April 2, 2023
1 UTMB offer of admission, from WL, IS

April 7, 2023
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL (first A)
1 Dell offer of admission from WL, IS, declined (sticking with current TMDSAS school)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Texas Roundup April 14, 2023

April 12, 2023
1 UTMB offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
April 12, 2023

1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech El Paso, IS

April 14, 2023
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, OOS
1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech El Paso, OOS

Keep your hopes up, Texans, for some more WL offers coming soon to an email near you ;)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Texas Roundup April 20, 2023
April 13, 2023

1 Texas Tech Lubbock offer of admission from WL, IS

April 17, 2023

April 19, 2023
1 U of Houston Fertitta offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined
1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
April 19, 2023

2 spots relinquished at UTMB, IS
1 spot relinquished at TCOM, IS
1 spot relinquished from UTSW, IS (going OOS) April x?

edited a couple times with some new reports of news today

Last edited:
Texas Roundup April 26, 2023
April 24-25, 2023
2 SHSU offers of admission from WL, IS
1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL

Up for Grabs Again:
April 26, 2023

1 spot relinquished at U of Houston Fertitta, IS, has OOS admission
1 spot relinquished at TCU (going OOS)

Share your news, y'all, I only post what I see on SDN!

Last edited:
dq-INFR68copy-884x640.jpg

Texas Roundup April 29, 2023 - Picking up the Pace!

April 27, 2023
1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, IS

April 28, 2023
1 U of Houston Fertitta offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Long offer of admission from WL, IS, accepted
1 Long offer of admission from WL, IS, declined

Up for Grabs Again:
April 27-29, 2023

2 spots relinquished at UIWSOM
1 spot relinquished at A&M, IS (going OOS)
1 spot relinquished at A&M, OOS (going OOS)
1 spot relinquished at TCOM, IS
1 spot relinquished at Long, IS
1 spot relinquished at UTMB, IS
2 spots relinquished at UTSW, IS

Share your news, & if you want to, DM me I will post it anonymously for you :=|:-):

Last edited:
Texas Roundup May 2, 2023
Here we Goooooooo!

May 1, 2023
1 TCU offer of admission from WL

May 2, 2023
1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>accepted
1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS, declined (sticking with current school)
2 UTSW offers of admission from WL, accepting
1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined (going OOS)
1 Texas Tech El
Paso offer of admission from WL, OOS, deciding >>>declined, staying with OOS school
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, OOS

Up for Grabs Again:
April 30, 2023 to May 2, 2023

1 spot relinquished at UTMB (has OOS acceptances)
1 spot relinquished at SHSU
1 spot relinquished at U of H Fertitta (has OOS acceptance)
1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech El Paso (has OOS acceptance)

1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech El Paso ( got new WL offer TMDSAS)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Texas Roundup May 4, 2023

May 3, 2023

1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>accepted
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined
2 Long offers of admission from WL, IS
1 Long offer of admission from WL, IS, declined

1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS, deciding>>>accepted
1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, OOS, deciding>>>accepted
1 SHSU offer of admission from WL, IS
1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS
deciding>>>accepted
1 UTSW offer of admission from WL. IS

Up for Grabs Again:
1 spot relinquished at Texas Tech El Paso, IS
1 spot relinquished at UT Tyler, IS (going OOS)
spot relinquished at UIWSOM, IS

Last edited:
i was literally thinking that too. i thought there’d be zero movement just bc it’s free! maybe they leveraged it to get a grant/scholarship?
Right, just moving elsewhere instate is costly enough without a scholarship.

Right, just moving elsewhere instate is costly enough without a scholarship.
Could be a variety of reasons; family proximity, really want to leave the area, hesitant about a brand new school despite the solid HSC base, etc. And the free tuition is nice, but for some people $80-90k may not be a big deal.

Could be a variety of reasons; family proximity, really want to leave the area, hesitant about a brand new school despite the solid HSC base, etc. And the free tuition is nice, but for some people $80-90k may not be a big deal.
they got into a T20 OOS school!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Texas Roundup May 6, 2023:

May 5, 2023
1 TCOM offer of admission from WL, OOS
1 UT Tyler offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
May 5, 2023
1 spot relinquished at Long, IS, (got IS WL offer a few days ago)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Texas Roundup May 7, 2023:
May 6-7, 2023

1 UTSW offer of admission from WL, IS, accepted
2 UIWSOM offers of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again:
May 7, 2023

1 spot relinquished at Baylor, IS
1 spot relinquished at Dell, IS
1 spot relinquished at TCOM

Share your news, y'all, and remember to make note of the deadline for deciding about any new offers from WL.

Last edited:
Texas Roundup May 9, 2023

May 2, 2023

1 Baylor offer of admission from WL, IS
1 Texas Tech Lubbock offer of admission from WL, OOS

May 8, 2023
1 A&M offer of admission from WL
1 Long offer of admission from WL, OOS, declined

May 9, 2023

1 UIWSOM offer of admission from WL
1 McGovern offer of admission from WL, IS

Up for Grabs Again
May 8-9, 2023

1 spot relinquished at A&M, IS
1 spot relinquished at Long, IS

Share your news, don't be shy! :shy:

• Love
So I have no idea if that glitch in the choose your medical school tool slowed down Texas schools, but if it did would TMDSAS consider extending the May 15 deadline? I suppose not…

Texas programs don’t rely on the CYMS tool as it’s not available to a lot of their accepted students.

Texas programs don’t rely on the CYMS tool as it’s not available to a lot of their accepted students.
Ah, okay, cool.

And to answer Skeptastic’s question above, there was a rumor that the CYMS tool at the national level had a glitch causing schools to not be able to see students’ choices. There was speculation that this slowed down medical schools in making offers from the waitlist.

Ah, okay, cool.

And to answer Skeptastic’s question above, there was a rumor that the CYMS tool at the national level had a glitch causing schools to not be able to see students’ choices. There was speculation that this slowed down medical schools in making offers from the waitlist.
Oh wow! That would be a nightmare for those waiting for offers or making final decisions.

Texas Roundup May 11, 2023

May 10, 2023

May 11, 2023

Up for Grabs Again:
May 11, 2023

2 spots relinquished at SHSU, IS

Take note, all y'all on the waitlists with no TMDSAS acceptances: After May 15th, all new WL offers go to you :giggle:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Texas Roundup May 11, 2023

May 10, 2023

May 11, 2023

Up for Grabs Again:
May 11, 2023

1 spot relinquished at SHSU, IS

Take note, all y'all on the waitlists with no TMDSAS acceptances: After May 15th, all new WL offers go to you :giggle:
This is so great, thanks for putting this together. A small addendum-- after May 15th, only Texas residents cannot receive any new offers if they have a TMDSAS acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.