The Republic of Texas XXIII: Our State Can Beat Up Your State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonas, Don't worry. You won't lose your acceptance for a waitlist (at least I don't think). From my understanding you either "match" with your top choice (or 2nd or 3rd) which is the equivalent to an acceptance in which case you would lose your currently held pre-match to a lower ranked school.

If you do not match to your first choice school, the school can still put you on a waitlist, but those are done through each school and not TMDSAS, or at least that is my understanding. Meanwhile you can hang on to your acceptance to your lower ranked school, i'm thinking until june 15th or something...

Also as a side note, I had a friend that was waitlisted at 2 schools and got into both schools before june (the last being her top choice) so even if you don't "match" keep your chin up. Whether you get in via waitlist or pre-match won't matter on that 1st day of school. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So, first question: does matching to a school guarantee actual matriculation at School B, providing that all other requirements are met?

My second question would be: how do these waitlists work? Can you be on a waitlist at another school, while still holding an acceptance at another? Do all schools in Texas even have waitlists?
1. Yes
2. You can be on multiple waitlists while holding an offer, provided you ranked those schools higher than the school you matched to on the TMDSAS ranking. I believe all schools in Texas have a waitlist, but could be wrong.

Also as a side note, I had a friend that was waitlisted at 2 schools and got into both schools before june (the last being her top choice) so even if you don't "match" keep your chin up. Whether you get in via waitlist or pre-match won't matter on that 1st day of school. :)

mgirl21 and aggie08, what our buddy here means is that we're gonna be the ones with those stories when people ask us how things went this time next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
mgirl21 and aggie08, what our buddy here means is that we're gonna be the ones with those stories when people ask us how things went this time next year.

:thumbup:

Jonas, Don't worry. You won't lose your acceptance for a waitlist (at least I don't think). From my understanding you either "match" with your top choice (or 2nd or 3rd) which is the equivalent to an acceptance in which case you would lose your currently held pre-match to a lower ranked school.

If you do not match to your first choice school, the school can still put you on a waitlist, but those are done through each school and not TMDSAS, or at least that is my understanding. Meanwhile you can hang on to your acceptance to your lower ranked school, i'm thinking until june 15th or something...

1. Yes
2. You can be on multiple waitlists while holding an offer, provided you ranked those schools higher than the school you matched to on the TMDSAS ranking. I believe all schools in Texas have a waitlist, but could be wrong.

Much appreciated, both of you. My fears are now at ease. :)

Hey, I got my UT-H acceptance today which was a lovely surprise. Anyone else out there receive good new years news? I wonder how many they sent out. I assumed I was waiting til Feb.

Oh Yeah, happy new years!

Well I hope we match!!! Let's not get too down yet...but that would be wonderful if we don't match to get in off a waitlist. I bet that is the most amazing feeling ever. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!! Hopefully it's a good year for us all! :D:D

Well I hope we match!!! Let's not get too down yet...but that would be wonderful if we don't match to get in off a waitlist. I bet that is the most amazing feeling ever. HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!!! Hopefully it's a good year for us all! :D:D

You'll match. Keep ur head up.

Hopefully both of us will. :)

Everyone keep in mind that UTH and UTHSCSA will be the schools who accept the most people in the match.

Everyone keep in mind that UTH and UTHSCSA will be the schools who accept the most people in the match.
This is true. That is definitely something positive to keep in mind.

Thanks, DrSno :D

how do you know if you have been put on a schools wait list do they let you know through email or something?

how do you know if you have been put on a schools wait list do they let you know through email or something?

I can't speak for every school, but I know last year A&M emailed me to let me know.

Happy New Year everyone!! May 2009 bring lots of offers and many happy applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do y'all know anything about which schools require certain types of computers? I have a Mac and know that Tech requires a PC and I was told that UTMB does too, but I'm not certain.

I've been looking through all the school packets and such, but can't find info from the other ones. Help?

A lot of those computer requirements depend on how computer-saavy you are.

If you absolutely need to use windows programs on an Intel-mac, you can use parallels or vmware or virtualbox or something.

But mostly they don't know what they are talking about and you can make anything you have right now work imho.

A lot of those computer requirements depend on how computer-saavy you are.

If you absolutely need to use windows programs on an Intel-mac, you can use parallels or vmware or virtualbox or something.

But mostly they don't know what they are talking about and you can make anything you have right now work imho.

Yep.

I don't know how true this is for other schools, but Mulle has said repeatedly to disregard what IT says at TAMHSC, as I would suspect that whatever they need you to be able to do can be done in a variety of ways on a variety of platforms.

I have no acceptances as of right now (woo, go me!), but even if I did, I would probably take IT recommendations with an imperial ton of salt. Between virtualization and a little know-how / ability to use Google and find people who know a little more than yourself, you can almost certainly do whatever they need you to do.

$0.02.

anyone know what the dress codes are at the schools? (i'm particularly curious about tech, san antonio, and a&m... though there are probably others interested in other schools too)

is scrubs for anatomy and business casual otherwise, pretty standard across the state?

anyone know what the dress codes are at the schools? (i'm particularly curious about tech, san antonio, and a&m... though there are probably others interested in other schools too)

is scrubs for anatomy and business casual otherwise, pretty standard across the state?

There are dresscodes for class?:confused:

My sister told me that at her med school, although it is in Virginia, people show up in sweats to class... only for the preceptorship do people dress up...

For A&M: my understanding is that there isn't an enforced dress code. Wouldn't suspect that most TX med schools would hold you to business casual while you're bleary-eyed in lecture, trying to nail the intricacies of whatever neat thing the biochem guy/girl thinks you should know, or waking from a coma to sit for an exam.

Sean / Mulls could probably confirm for College Station.

Dress code for which event?

ETA: If you meant to classes, I'm glad to say there is no dress code. I went with an MS1 to class at UTHSCSA last year, and many of the students were in jeans and tshirts.

Last edited:
Do y'all know anything about which schools require certain types of computers? I have a Mac and know that Tech requires a PC and I was told that UTMB does too, but I'm not certain.

I've been looking through all the school packets and such, but can't find info from the other ones. Help?

UTMB doesn't require a PC, lots of kids have macs.

There's no real dress code at UTMB, besides common sense, and I doubt there is for the other schools either. And you can wear whatever to anatomy lab as well.

EDIT: Actually, I should add that for POM (the small group clinical class that meets once a week) you dress professionally and bring your white coat.

Last edited:

I think it depends on the school. My friend at SW says they dress up every Wednesday for colleges. I suspect other schools may require dressing up for professionalism/PBL/small groups/Practice Of Medicine type courses.

May?! You want me/us to wait until May? Are you out of your mind? :cool:

Not the month May, but the the auxiliary verb "may" defined as expressing a wish. I wouldn't wish waiting that long on anyone! That's just cruel.

Hey, I got my UT-H acceptance today which was a lovely surprise. Anyone else out there receive good new years news? I wonder how many they sent out. I assumed I was waiting til Feb.

Oh Yeah, happy new years!
i talked to dr. kellaway on tuesday and UTH is doing about ~50 pre-match acceptances.

i talked to dr. kellaway on tuesday and UTH is doing about ~50 pre-match acceptances.
Only 50 total, from Nov. 15 to Dec. 31?

Somehow, that's not all that surprising to me.

Awww shucks, I don't like dressing up, but if it's like once a week or something that's not too bad.

it's actually a lot more than they tend to give. traditionally people have said they fill about 10% of their class pre-match. 50 would be more around 20%
Still, I suspect that has to be heartening to some of us who are waiting on the match, especially those waiting for UTHSC-Houston. That gives around ~180 more spots to fill in the match; nevermind the fact that of those pre-match offers, not everyone accepts them.

Anyone know what the % is for San Antonio? Haha. :D

For A&M: my understanding is that there isn't an enforced dress code. Wouldn't suspect that most TX med schools would hold you to business casual while you're bleary-eyed in lecture, trying to nail the intricacies of whatever neat thing the biochem guy/girl thinks you should know, or waking from a coma to sit for an exam.

Sean / Mulls could probably confirm for College Station.

well, i honestly don't have a clue--but over in the allo forum a ton of current med students were recommending that MS0's ask for business attire for christmas...

and i know for a fact that a&m's vet students have to dress business casual three days a week.

so i kinda drew assumptions--but i could very well be way off base!! :rolleyes:

Not the month May, but the the auxiliary verb "may" defined as expressing a wish. I wouldn't wish waiting that long on anyone! That's just cruel.

Wasn't serious.

well, i honestly don't have a clue--but over in the allo forum a ton of current med students were recommending that MS0's ask for business attire for christmas...

Probably for other events, residency interviews, etc. -- not so much for classes.

I'd expect to wear business casual any time you step foot in the clinic to see a patient or standardized patient. I don't know how often that is for most schools. I'm pretty sure Tech does it once a month.

I did go shopping at the day after Christmas sales for nice clothes (as opposed to my current uniform of jeans & a t-shirt), but not for class. I figured anytime I was seeing "patients" it would be appropriate to dress nicely. Plus i'm sure there are things like interview days where the students who toured us or joined us for lunch were dressed nicely.

I did go shopping at the day after Christmas sales for nice clothes (as opposed to my current uniform of jeans & a t-shirt), but not for class. I figured anytime I was seeing "patients" it would be appropriate to dress nicely. Plus i'm sure there are things like interview days where the students who toured us or joined us for lunch were dressed nicely.
it's also the beginning of becoming a professional, so it's probably good if we all get used to polishing shoes, tying ties, getting our pants pressed, etc.

Soo I've always wondered about this but when January 15th comes and we can only hold one offer and drop the rest, do we have to notify the schools personally as well or is it good enough to do it on TMDSAS? Should we do both just to thank them for their time?

I need a crystal ball... (or advice...)

I really wish the whole "pre-match" thing didn't happen and we all could have just ranked after the interview, matched, and then been happy. I honestly wasn't that impressed with Tech when i interviewed there, but it was their first day of interviews and i'm not sure they were ready... it was also my second day of back to back interviews, so i was a little exhausted. But when match came around and I pre-matched I started to look into it more. Now I really like the school...

But I have a significant other who is complicating the matter... the story is really long though but in a nutshell he'll find out on the 19th of jan whether he will be staying in college station for 2+ years or be free to move in aug.

I'm starting to wonder if A&M is as good as I originally thought or if my focus was complicated because of knowing my sig. other was in college station...:confused: I almost hope I don't match but get waitlisted really high up so that I would be able to find out what he is doing before i make my decision.

Does anyone who interviewed at either school want to give me advice? Anything strike you as amazing? Any insighful thoughts as to how i should make this decision? The silly thing is all of this worry might be for nothing since i might still be rejected from A&M...:(

He finds out on January 19? How cruel!!! So close to Jan 15 and yet so absurdly frustrating....

Is there any way he could find out early?

Does anyone who interviewed at either school want to give me advice? Anything strike you as amazing? Any insighful thoughts as to how i should make this decision? The silly thing is all of this worry might be for nothing since i might still be rejected from A&M...:(

I interviewed in College Station only and do not have a significant other, so take this with a grain of salt.

I loved A&M because it is its own place. The city in which is resides is a world of its own, and the school itself, in my opinion, had quite a cozy atmosphere. It's small (seating ~170 this year), the staff seems wonderful to me, and I generally just felt at ease about it. That's why I was saddened by not pre-matching to TAMHSC.

Just go pros/cons about it. Do a tree / T-table on paper, hash it out with a good friend or your boyfriend/fiancé/husband and try to decide what's right for you school-wise, or do whatever it is that you've traditionally used to make a complicated decision.

I don't know anything about your relationship, but in general, I'd be leery of making a decision based on the proximity of a girlfriend.

This is why I hate the idea of 1 acceptance, no time to weigh two or more acceptance offers for a reasonable period of time.

What kind of significant other is this? Boyfriend, fiancee, husband?

Honestly, it's a tough decision. Things that come to mind for me, though, is that Lubbock is really isolated. I didn't like that aspect of it. In CS or Temple, you're closer to civilization, and Scott & White is a good hospital. On the other side, Tech doesn't have a split campus and doesn't need to teleconference for lectures and such.

thanks for the advice y'all.

I talked to my sister and she reminded me of advice that I have always been given and that is that God will put me where I belong. So, I will go ahead and rank A&M as 1 and if I match/waitlist then that is where I belong, and if not then there was no reason to stress in the first place. Most likely I'll "LOVE" A&M if I get accepted and i'll be an MD no matter where I go... so i'm going to try to let go of it all now and just enjoy my last few months of relaxation before school.

as a side note my sig. other is my boyfriend...we aren't engaged (yet) but we do live together which is why going from living with someone to being 7+ hrs away for my first 3 yrs of med school is scary.

This is why I hate the idea of 1 acceptance, no time to weigh two or more acceptance offers for a reasonable period of time.

Why does TDMSAS do it this way? Why do they do this whole crazy match process that forces people to make decisions without important information like financial aid? It seems like the AMCAS schools do ok by accepting everyone they want and then letting each person decide individually.

I only have one TMDSAS acceptance, so it's not a big deal for me. But it seems like for many people, it's a major headache.

Why does TDMSAS do it this way? Why do they do this whole crazy match process that forces people to make decisions without important information like financial aid? It seems like the AMCAS schools do ok by accepting everyone they want and then letting each person decide individually.

I only have one TMDSAS acceptance, so it's not a big deal for me. But it seems like for many people, it's a major headache.
I'm guessing that TMDSAS feels that the schools are pretty much identical financially, so your only consideration should be your impression after the interview.

It does make sense as far as making sure the maximum number of applicants get accepted as soon as possible. Since you can't hold your 5 acceptances, 4 spots are open for others to have. It's convenient to others at the expense of your ability to make informed decisions about where you go

I'm guessing that TMDSAS feels that the schools are pretty much identical financially, so your only consideration should be your impression after the interview.

It does make sense as far as making sure the maximum number of applicants get accepted as soon as possible. Since you can't hold your 5 acceptances, 4 spots are open for others to have. It's convenient to others at the expense of your ability to make informed decisions about where you go

That's what I thought. Tuition is equal and I'm guessing there isn't much scholarship money to be had.

I plan on emailing the school to thank them for their consideration and let them know I'm dropping their acceptance.

That's the professional move. Reject each school with professionalism, unlike the silent treatment they give many applicants.

He has a plan. Sometimes it even includes living together before getting married.

might just be me and my "naive" Christianity, but I'm pretty sure God doesn't only have plans for perfect people...

edit: I realize my mentioning God might be offensive to those who don't believe in a God, so if so I apologize for stepping on your toes. I did not intend to provoke a religious discussion, but again as someone pointed out a while ago there will be many patients you come across as a doctor who are strong in their faith as Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, or lack thereof. It is up to us to deal with each professionally and respectfully, no matter what our own personal beliefs are. If someone has found faith in something that makes them happy, why try to bring them down as long as they are not insulting or causing harm to you?

Last edited:
I talked to my sister and she reminded me of advice that I have always been given and that is that God will put me where I belong. So, I will go ahead and rank A&M as 1 and if I match/waitlist then that is where I belong, and if not then there was no reason to stress in the first place. Most likely I'll "LOVE" A&M if I get accepted and i'll be an MD no matter where I go... so i'm going to try to let go of it all now and just enjoy my last few months of relaxation before school.
A piece of friendly advice: Please do not leave such important decisions to "god". You'll find in life that if you leave important decisions to him you'll end up happy at chance levels. Think deeply and carefully about the decision, and don't just go for the first mental/psychological crutch you can find. Good luck to you. :luck:

He has a plan. Sometimes it even includes living together before getting married.
For some reason, I sense that you're trying make a point. What that could possibly be, I have not the slightest clue.

I don't agree with the choice of living with someone other than one's spouse. Not even while engaged.

But my job is not to come in here rebuking someone for the choices they've made, which is why I chose to not mention it. Now whether or not you agree with this, I believe that God has a plan for each of us. It never forces us in to sin, which is a conscious effort on our own behalf; instead, He lovingly calls each of us to share in His holiness, which is a conscious effort as well supported by His mercy and grace.

I'm moving off this subject. We don't need to get in to a theological/soteriological discussion in here. I suspect that it won't fall on understanding ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.