The Republic of Texas XXXI: Everything's not just bigger, it's more awesome too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when i prematched they sent me an email with a link to that site to either accept or deny the offer etc. If you're seeing that now it means 1. you are accepted there 2. you most likely matched there.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you rank your schools?

1. Houston
2. UTMB
3. El Paso (Pre-Matched)
4. TCOM

I know I checked the ranking like 5 times before January 21 but I've been paranoid about it lately lol.

And I'm afraid to look at my email or TMDSAS until 8am. lol

Why isn't it 8am yet? And why do I have to be awake now?

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How does the waitlisting in Tx work? Is there a big date like 15MAY where a bunch of students drop off? I assume that any slots that open up at this point are simply from out-of-state students that decline or from Tx residents that go out of state, is that right?

Edit: Found this to be useful, goodluck everyone hope you got what you wanted.

Last edited:
Posted under "Important Announcements" section on TMDSAS, dated today (2/1)!

"To view your match results, log in to the application. Click on the [Click to Go to School Ranking] button. If you matched to a school, the school name will be listed.

If you did not match to a school, keep in mind that the standard rolling admissions will begin after the match process and continue through the beginning of orientation at each medical school. You will be contacted directly by a medical school if you are moved to their alternate list or made an offer after the match process. "

Not sure what this means as far as whether the results are up or not.. My school rankings screen still shows the same message in red about the deadline for ranking schools having past and to check back on feb 1st... And I prematched to UTMB, so I feel like it may not have been updated yet, but not sure..

Same here.

It still shows me that same message. Let me know if you get anything!

The wait is nerve wrecking and I keep refreshing....

It will change to say something like "congratulations, youve been accepted to so and so" once the match hits if you pre matched (at least thats what happened for me). Good luck everyone!

"Congratulations! You matched to :University of Texas Houston Medical School."

now I hope I don't get waitlisted at southwestern and have to do more waiting...

This is what med school application does to you: makes you hope for rejections haha.

Updated! I matched to UTMB (where I prematched). Lol still excited anyways!

Accepted UT Houston. I'm very happy, this was #1 for me. Good luck to everyone else and keep your head up! For those that are disappointed this morning, there's still a lot of time left before summer and there will DEFINATELY be waitlist movement in the near future.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched to UTMB! I'm kind of mad that I didn't check my email at midnight now. I could have gotten some sleep!

Didn't match anywhere! :( Disappointing! :thumbdown: But fingers crossed for getting off the waitlist...

lol actually fourthed hah

Didn't match :(

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using SDN Mobile

So should those of us who didn't match still expect a confirmation email that we're on the waitlist for the schools? Just wondering since the FAQ linked earlier is from 2007.

So if you interviewed at 4 schools and did not match, does that mean you can end up on all 4 wait lists?

Matched in to my 4th ranked school. Glad it wasn't my 5th or 6th school but disappointed that it wasn't my top 3. Even if I got off the waiting list at my top 3 schools, I wouldn't want to go because those schools turned me down twice (Nov 15th and Feb 1st). I do take it personally. I will work hard at the school that I matched into because they gave me a chance that my top 3 schools didn't. I am going to hit the ground running with studying come July.

Not to be rude, man, but that's a pretty bad attitude. Remember why you applied to them in the first place. Anyway you can at least breath easy now and take on the rolling process with a little less anxiety.

So if you interviewed at 4 schools and did not match, does that mean you can end up on all 4 wait lists?

Yes that is, in fact, your current status. If accepted to one or all of them, you will be able to make your decision between them simultaneously as your rank list is no longer a factor here.

Matched in to my 4th ranked school. Glad it wasn't my 5th or 6th school but disappointed that it wasn't my top 3. Even if I got off the waiting list at my top 3 schools, I wouldn't want to go because those schools turned me down twice (Nov 15th and Feb 1st). I do take it personally. I will work hard at the school that I matched into because they gave me a chance that my top 3 schools didn't. I am going to hit the ground running with studying come July.

Try not to take it personally. There are a limited number of spots and you might have been next on their list for all you know. I matched to my third choice a few years ago but was plucked from the waitlist very late. It's just a numbers game and not personal.

The day you are accepted has very little to do with how you will perform in med school. I know many people who prematched who struggle and many people who got off the wait list in May/June who excel. Getting in off the waitlist in no way means you're destined to be in the bottom of the class.

Obviously the schools I ranked 1-3 didn't think I was good enough to be successful there and my 4th school thought I had potential.

I don't think thats quite the rationale that those schools took when they didn't rank you higher up there list. i mean the fact that they gave you an interview means that they thought you were a good candidate. in the end, its just a numbers game.

Not to be rude, man, but that's a pretty bad attitude. Remember why you applied to them in the first place. Anyway you can at least breath easy now and take on the rolling process with a little less anxiety.
I thought it was a bad attitude at first but I kind of like his logic. Also if that puts a chip on his shoulder and makes him work harder maybe it will allow for a better residency placement. Who knows. It is all about him being as comfortable as a student and if he would be uncomfortable going to a school who did not think he was initially qualified enough then that is his prerogative.

Also I matched and I am excited!!!!!!

The day you are accepted has very little to do with how you will perform in med school. I know many people who prematched who struggle and many people who got off the wait list in May/June who excel. Getting in off the waitlist in no way means you're destined to be in the bottom of the class.

100% true....undergrad now is like highschool aka how well you did really doesnt predict/mean anything

I want to go to a school that I would be successful at. Obviously the schools I ranked 1-3 didn't think I was good enough to be successful there and my 4th school thought I had potential. I don't want to go to my top 3 schools after getting in off the waiting list and end up in the bottom half of my class. So screw it, I will just go to my 4th ranked school and study my butt off there and be as successful as I can be.

I guess I can understand your logic, it's just a little disheartening . Anyway, I'm not so sure there is enough disparity between any of these schools to assume you would do that much better at one over the other. They are all challenging enough that you'll be forced to rise to the occasion in any regard. Personally, I've always wanted to live up to my highest potential. If I somehow "barely" make it in somewhere by the skin of my teeth - well that my friend is exactly where I'd want to be.

If we are talking best "fit" and not best "qualified" than I can understand how someone would be discouraged from going somewhere that didn't want them initially. I guess it's similar to how, when you get prematched, you tend to sway your bias in that direction. - makes you feel special. In contrast being rejected amidst several acceptance opportunities can cast a different light on how you may perceive that school.

At then end of the day though, when this cycle is said and done, you won't miss whatever school you did't get into as they assuredly wont miss you.

that's partly why I was pre-match or nada... :thumbup:

Match: TTU-ELP

I really appreciate the kind words for those of us that didn't match :oops:

Time to make a plan for next year! I'm still going to Cancun with DrBarbie because I will most certainly need a break from all of the re-studying for my 3rd MCAT. I still have hope that it's going to happen eventually!!!!

And I would like to offer a most sincere congratulations to all of you who did match. I'm so proud of all of you!

mmm I got an email last night from TCOM and match result post confirms my seat there .. not exactly sure what a conditional email means? Like accepted but only under XYZ terms, I didnt receive an email like that nor have I ever heard of such but idk??

Congrats to everyone that was accepted today! Please keep in mind that a lot of people didn't get accepted today, and they'd willing to kill to be in your shoes. And I think that would actually probably be literally true with some folks. So just keep that in mind when you're complaining about not getting accepted to your top choice.

For those of you that haven't been accepted, keep your chin up. There is always a lot of wait list movement, but there is always next year. But, there was a reason you didn't get accepted. Now's the time to stop sulking and figure out why you didn't get in. Most deans of admissions are going to be busy for the next 2-3 weeks, but if you live close to a med school you need to make an appointment to meet with one and discuss your application. I'd also recommend attending re-applicant workshops if any schools have them, or just doing it via e-mail. You need to objectively assess yourself. Don't get dejected and say "screw it all" and give up.

mmm I got an email last night from TCOM and match result post confirms my seat there .. not exactly sure what a conditional email means? Like accepted but only under XYZ terms, I didnt receive an email like that nor have I ever heard of such but idk??

Mmhmm---most likely, accepted under the condition you successfully complete your planned coursework.

Thanks!

"This offer is contingent upon your completion of any coursework and receiving any degree that you anticipated in your application, completion and approval of the required criminal background check, returning the signed Ethical Pledge and your attendance at the Medical School Orientation for entering students."

Accepted UT Houston. I'm very happy, this was #1 for me.

Yeah Penn! I was rooting for you!

And where is def1? I was hoping he'd be with you.

Matched to UTHSCSA!!! My top choice.

Congrats! I know that was a lot of decision-making to get there. :)

Yes, non-matchers and even people who did match to a choice that wasn't first can still be plucked from the wailist. Everyone who interviewed gets ranked by the schools. So it's basically one huge waitlist. Where you are on it determines when/if you are admitted.

I really appreciate the kind words for those of us that didn't match :oops:

Time to make a plan for next year! I'm still going to Cancun with DrBarbie because I will most certainly need a break from all of the re-studying for my 3rd MCAT. I still have hope that it's going to happen eventually!!!!

And I would like to offer a most sincere congratulations to all of you who did match. I'm so proud of all of you!

That's a great attitude, but I'm still disappointed for you. :( The good news is you've got 4+ months to get in rolling-style, so I'm crossing fingers for you.

The people who received emails with their acceptances---are they listing them as conditional or unconditional?

I didn't get an email, but acceptance emails typically state something to the effect of the acceptance being conditional based on completing course of study/criminal background check/etc. Not much to worry about for most of us.

LOL - Penn beat me to it

Last edited:
To all of those who did not match (especially Sassafrass who's now in the bathroom),

Getting to log in and see "Congratulations, you have matched..." after not matching the past 2 years was the most amazing feeling in the world. I know people always post stupid stuff about "keeping the faith aliveee and don't give up!!", but seriously, don't give up if it's something you really want. My parents have tried to talk me out of this for 2 years now. If being a physician is the only career you could see yourself having, go for it. It appears the third time really is a charm.

A little Texas humor for us all, courtesy of HEB.

[YOUTUBE]RLcSPOZoBPw[/YOUTUBE]

I can't believe it, but I matched to UT HOUSTON! I interviewed on the very last day as a fill-in for an interview slot that had been dropped and I GOT IT!

Cheesin right now.

To all of those who did not match (especially Sassafrass who's now in the bathroom),

Getting to log in and see "Congratulations, you have matched..." after not matching the past 2 years was the most amazing feeling in the world. I know people always post stupid stuff about "keeping the faith aliveee and don't give up!!", but seriously, don't give up if it's something you really want. My parents have tried to talk me out of this for 2 years now. If being a physician is the only career you could see yourself having, go for it. It appears the third time really is a charm.

Great story!

I can't believe it, but I matched to UT HOUSTON! I interviewed on the very last day as a fill-in for an interview slot that had been dropped and I GOT IT!

Cheesin right now.

You. are. awesome.

Cheesin right now.

Woop! Congratulations! I just got on here looking to see what happened with you. I was starting to feel bad for telling you you had a good shot, but I guess I was right after all.

Now you don't have to be jealous of my pre-match anymore...lol

I want to celebrate but I got to work. Someone come pull the fire alarm or something.