The Republic of Texas XXXI: Everything's not just bigger, it's more awesome too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be 30 minutes into a 24 hour shift when match is posted. No champagne for me.:(

I'm just hoping for one of 3 outcomes which lead me to knowing where I am going and not getting wait-listed.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be 30 minutes into a 24 hour shift when match is posted. No champagne for me.:(

I'm just hoping for one of 3 outcomes which lead me to knowing where I am going and not getting wait-listed.

Hmm...hip flask? Maybe with a bit of crown? This is Texas after all...

*Please drink responsibly

While that might help me better relate to many of my patients... :laugh: I'll just have to wait til Sat.

This is a ridiculously long week.

Members don't see this ad :)

Consider the following...
idhtg5.jpg

I thought I'd be all partying. .. ended up doing the usual. Its more exciting waiting than the actual post acceptance. Now I just have beautiful nightmares of me examining patients as a med student

Tell me what you think: I pulled the following fortune out of a cookie on 10-31-12

Remember three months from this date! Your lucky star is shining.

Odd coincidence or portent of my success on Match Day? :shifty:

Hahahaha :laugh:
That is some of the best advice I have ever heard on SDN lol
Barbie does have a good point though, cant have a celebration? Bring a little bit of celebration to you lol :thumbup:

Oh and PS, me and Barbie usually agree on many things but Crown?!? haha :p

Tell me what you think: I pulled the following fortune out of a cookie on 10-31-12

Holy crap.
If that really happened then that is incredible! I got one the day after I took my MCAT saying life would throw me a favorable curve and I believe it did cuz I got slaughtered in my BS section but it ended up being my highest subscore lol
I think regardless of what that cookie says, you are going to be pleasantly surprised on friday! :)

Lol that's pretty cool. I'm going to say luck is on your side :luck:

I actually became a little superstitious about the nametags the schools give out. I hung them all up on my wall, except for TCOM which I lost somewhere, and TCOM was my only rejection. coincidence? Lol jk

I actually became a little superstitious about the nametags the schools give out. I hung them all up on my wall, except for TCOM which I lost somewhere, and TCOM was my only rejection. coincidence? Lol jk

LOL I did the same thing with all six of mine! I had them in rank order from top to bottom clipped to my curtain. Every now and then I would switch one or two around...

And maybe it was an ego thing but after getting pre-mached to 2 of my top 3, I eventually withdrew from the bottom 3 (I guess I wanted to feel in control!).

Hahahaha :laugh:
That is some of the best advice I have ever heard on SDN lol
Barbie does have a good point though, cant have a celebration? Bring a little bit of celebration to you lol :thumbup:

Oh and PS, me and Barbie usually agree on many things but Crown?!? haha :p

Makers then?

If you don't want to be too overt you could pour it into a soda bottle, just blame AMS on sepsis.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Crown and Makers are both good, but for something as special as match day I would splurge and bust out the...

Exclusive_Johnnie_Walker_Blue_Label_Collection_2.jpg

Hahah danggg you're quite a high roller! I am treating myself to a girls trip to Mexico in May so I'll have to just stick with the Makers for now! Enjoy your JW!

Hahah danggg you're quite a high roller! I am treating myself to a girls trip to Mexico in May so I'll have to just stick with the Makers for now! Enjoy your JW!

To Mexico?!?!
:scared:
Looks like someone off Texas A&M's waitlist will get a call in May...

To Mexico?!?!

Haha! Barbie and I are going to Cancun! We're resort-ing it up so it should be safer than, say, Mexico City....I hope :p

To Mexico?!?!

Haha we're going to a resort in Cancun...and I took self defense so we can totally handle the drug cartels.

Haha I wish I was a high roller lol but this is a once in a lifetime event so you gotta sip on some good stuff :thumbup:

Oh and for the record, trip to Cancun > JW Blue...but not by much haha jk :laugh:
I have never been to Cancun but I really wanna go sometime soon...I hope you enjoy it, you deserve it...please be safe though!

To Mexico?!?!

LOL this is hilarious but come on man...everything is going to be fine lol don't even joke about stuff like that

Haha! Barbie and I are going to Cancun! We're resort-ing it up so it should be safer than, say, Mexico City....I hope :p

Are you two really going together? Do you know each other outside of SDN? Same undergrad? Either way that sounds awesome, hope you both have a great time!

Haha I wish I was a high roller lol but this is a once in a lifetime event so you gotta sip on some good stuff :thumbup:

Oh and for the record, trip to Cancun > JW Blue...but not by much haha jk :laugh:
I have never been to Cancun but I really wanna go sometime soon...I hope you enjoy it, you deserve it...please be safe though!

Will definitely be safe!

Are you two really going together? Do you know each other outside of SDN? Same undergrad? Either way that sounds awesome, hope you both have a great time!

Haha ya we're going together!! We met on SDN and decided to meet up!! Just kidding, we work together. And ironically also went to the same undergrad but didn't know each other.

...Sorry Sass I stole your post :naughty:

"Oh and for the record, trip to Cancun > JW Blue...but not by much haha jk :laugh:
I have never been to Cancun but I really wanna go sometime soon."

I am the opposite. I have been to Cancun, but never had a JW Blue, Crown, or Makers. So As for Cancun, that place is AWESOME! You will fall in love with the place.

:laugh:

I'll be boarding for a cruise on Saturday.

Omgerd, I want to do one more cruise before med school :( I need to start saving.

Also, avoid the candy vans Dr Barbie :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Everyone being all excited for Match is sort of making me excited for Match except for the fact that UTSW never matches and that is the only school I'm waiting on. :((( Whyyy, UTSW, whyyyy.

Everyone being all excited for Match is sort of making me excited for Match except for the fact that UTSW never matches and that is the only school I'm waiting on. :((( Whyyy, UTSW, whyyyy.

Yeah, the large amount of prematches that lubbock sent out is making me pretty nervous and they're the only school I'm waiting to hear from :( I bet the SDN gods will be good to us and we'll both match!

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

T MINUS 27 HOURS UNTIL MATCH!!!!! What are yall's #1 ranks?

I thought match was 8am, is it midnight?

I know the result and I am still excited lol... is that sad? :laugh:

Lucky for me, tomorrow looks really busy.

Spend the morning and afternoon in the lab.
From 6 to 9 go to the boxing gym
Then hopefully be so exhausted I just fall asleep
Then match day, no matter the result, drinks will be drunk. The only difference will be Champagne or Whiskey depending on the result lol.

Sorry to deviate, guys, but I have to side with my pick of the year! Gotta bottle for Friday night's festivities already on standby.

1734.gif

No tequila? I am quite disappointed! Lol

Yeah, the large amount of prematches that lubbock sent out is making me pretty nervous and they're the only school I'm waiting to hear from :( I bet the SDN gods will be good to us and we'll both match!

Haha, not too hopeful about UTSW, but I'm thinking the SDN gods will match you into Lubbock! :luck:

Is it weird that I am not too excited about the match? I mean I got burned once on Nov 15th. I got one prematch from my last choice school in December and after interviewing at most schools I never got any other correspondence.

I interviewed at 6/7 TMDSAS MD schools (lubbock is the only one that decided I wasn't good enough for an interview). I am just scared that I might end up at my fifth choice or my sixth choice (only prematch). If that is the case, I am going to be depressed for another 3 months until the wait list starts moving. I know some schools like UTMB might send out email acceptances at midnight for matched applicants. So I will not check my email at all on midnight. My phone sends me phone notifications once I get an email, so I will be putting my phone on airplane mode so that I am not tempted to check an email when my phone vibrates once. I am going to go to sleep on Thursday night like it is any other night, and wake up on Friday like it is any other Friday.

Anyway, I guess I am the only one here who is not excited about the match. It is weird, I am not nervous either. It will just be any other Friday morning for me. I am trying to enjoy every last day of college because as corny as it sounds, these have been the best four years of my life. I am not going to let stupid anticipation for the match take away from my last few precious days of college.

If I get into my 2nd or 3rd choice I would be happy. I know I am not getting into my #1 because they don't match anyone (UTSW) so that really takes the excitement out of things. I am afraid of falling to my 5th or 6th choice. If I get into my 2nd choice, I PARTY HARD this weekend. If I get into my third choice, I won't be partying hard, but I will hang out with my friends. If its my fourth choice, I start writing letters of interests to my top 3 choices. And if it is my 5th or 6th choice, depression will engulf me...........

Oh well, I am not nervous or excited about Friday. TMDSAS schools interviewed me at a high rate but burned me hard from Nov 15-Dec 31. So TMDSAS I interviewed at 6/7 of your schools, you only gave me one prematch. So do what you want on Friday, I don't really care anymore. :cool:

honestly if you don't get the school you want on match day (which I hope you do get your first choice of course) DONT GIVE UP HOPE!!! I go to UTH and a bunch of my classmates got in after match, even some that found out on the last possible day. I think there is alot of movement in pretty much all the texas schools as people get into higher ranked schools / OOS schools

UTMB!

This thread is the best out there! ALL of you future docs offer great insight, humility, laughter, and encouragement. It's great that although there is such a small percent of us striving towards this lifetime achievement, SDN unites us so that we have each other to relate to. To everyone waiting patiently and impatiently for the match results, I wish you all the best of luck. I hope many prayers are answered and many wishes are granted. This application process has been some kind of ride!

Is it weird that I am not too excited about the match? I mean I got burned once on Nov 15th. I got one prematch from my last choice school in December and after interviewing at most schools I never got any other correspondence.

I interviewed at 6/7 TMDSAS MD schools (lubbock is the only one that decided I wasn't good enough for an interview). I am just scared that I might end up at my fifth choice or my sixth choice (only prematch). If that is the case, I am going to be depressed for another 3 months until the wait list starts moving. I know some schools like UTMB might send out email acceptances at midnight for matched applicants. So I will not check my email at all on midnight. My phone sends me phone notifications once I get an email, so I will be putting my phone on airplane mode so that I am not tempted to check an email when my phone vibrates once. I am going to go to sleep on Thursday night like it is any other night, and wake up on Friday like it is any other Friday.

Anyway, I guess I am the only one here who is not excited about the match. Its weird, I am not nervous either. It will just be any other Friday morning for me. I am trying to enjoy every last day of college because as corny as it sounds, these have been the best four years of my life. I am not going to let stupid anticipation for the match take away from my last few precious days of college.

If I get into my 2nd or 3rd choice I would be happy. I know I am not getting into my #1 because they don't match anyone (UTSW) so that really takes the excitement out of things. I am afraid of falling to my 5th or 6th choice. If I get into my 2nd choice, I PARTY HARD this weekend. If I get into my third choice, I won't be partying hard, but I will hang out with my friends. If its my fourth choice, I start writing letters of interests to my top 3 choices. And if it is my 5th or 6th choice, depression will engulf me...........

Oh well, I am not nervous or excited about Friday. TMDSAS schools interviewed me at a high rate but burned me hard from Nov 15-Dec 31. So TMDSAS I interviewed at 6/7 of your schools, you only gave me one prematch. So do what you want on Friday, the ball is in your court, I don't really care anymore. :cool:

Chin up MD,

It has always suprised me why people on here get so bothered by not getting prematches. Perhaps it's because I'm the obvious underdog but I seriously didn't expect any. I think however, had I a more competative GPA, I still would have never expected anything. It's always been my impression that the prematches are not to fill classes but, rather , to make bids on the most desirable applicants (reasons may vary) in hopes of recruiting them from other possible schools. Also, it seems rare that applicants give up all but one of their multiple prematches before January. That is to say many applicants would have likley got prematches had others declined them where appropriate. That said, a large percent of applicants for most schools come from the match or later.I cannot speak for UTSW but I can say that the rest are counting on the match for a number of reasons.

1- Protecting acceptance yield: if schools rely heavily on the match (which most do) it protects their acceptance/matriculate stats. Which, whether we like it or not, effect a school's reputation in one way or another.

2-Schools want students that want them: The match algorithm is bias towards the applicant and therefore its beneficial to truely rank your #1 first and so on. That said, the higher you rank a school, the more favorable your odds of obtaining acceptance there. Not a huge decider but bias nonetheless.

3 - Making it easier on the schools: For the most part, students who are interviewed are exceptional applicants. It stands to reason that it can be exceedingly difficult for a school to choose more than a handful of appplicants to accept. Interviewer evaluations are probably commonly very positive as well, making the decisions that much harder. The match allows some of thes burden to be alliviated as the schools can sort of bracket their general choices and let a computer divy applicants up among them based on the applicants' TMDSAS rankings.

4- The 90% rule : As a result of having to accept at least 90% TX residents in each class, Texas medical schools are forced to divy up students from the same (and relatively small) pool of interviewees. It varries but most applicants interview at many schools. This means that most of those that get interviews are going to get accepted (post interview acceptance rates ranged from 37% to a whooping 70% for our schools last year). While this is great news for the applicant, schools are forced to exchange applicants like currency until classes are filled. - all the while trying hardest to obtain top applicants. Its a complex process that only the match system can fairly mitigate.

Anywho, short story long, 6/7 MD interviews (as you put it) is exceptional. The fact that you didn't prematch to higher ranked schools may be a little unlikely but not at all unfathomable. The system is on your side and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are very likely to match among your top three being that you interviewed at both UTMB and UTSW - notorious statmongers (UTMB for GPA and UTSW for GPA and MCAT). So chin up and stay positive! You're sitting quite nicely in my oppinion. Maybe this is what you were fishing for, or maybe you genuinly needed to vent some anxiety (despite implying your indifference). Either way I'm happy to help.

Good Luck MD! But I'm sure you'll do fine.

PS FWIW, there are many many applicants (interviewd and not) that would kill to be in your position.

Last edited:
Lucky for me, tomorrow looks really busy.

Spend the morning and afternoon in the lab.
From 6 to 9 go to the boxing gym
Then hopefully be so exhausted I just fall asleep
Then match day, no matter the result, drinks will be drunk. The only difference will be Champagne or Whiskey depending on the result lol.

That's probably really good that you're keeping busy! I took the day off because I didn't think I'd be much fun to be around at work (and I definitely wouldn't be) but I'm just sort of sitting here worrying :(
Please please please let this be the last time I have to apply! I'll do it again but really don't want to have to take the mcat a third time or apply for a third time...

That's probably really good that you're keeping busy! I took the day off because I didn't think I'd be much fun to be around at work (and I definitely wouldn't be) but I'm just sort of sitting here worrying :(
Please please please let this be the last time I have to apply! I'll do it again but really don't want to have to take the mcat a third time or apply for a third time...

Come to work I'm bored.

Chin up MD,

It has always suprised me why people on here get so bothered by not getting prematches. Perhaps it's because I'm the obvious underdog but I seriously did't expect any. I think however, had I a more competative GPA, I still would have never expected anything. It's always been my impression that the prematches are not to fill classes but, rather , to make bids on the most desirable applicants (reasons may vary) in hopes of recruiting them from other schools. Also, it seems rare that applicants give up all but one of their multiple prematches before January. That is to say many applicants would have likey got prematches had others declined them where appropriate. That said, a large percent of applicants for most school come from the match or later.I cannot speak for UTSW but I can say that the rest are counting on the match for a number of reasons.

1- Protecting acceptance yeild: if schools rely hevily on the match (which most do) it protects their acceptance/matriculate stats. Which, whether we like it or not, effect a school's reputation in one way or another.

2-Schools want students that want them: The match algorithm is bias towards the applicant and therefore its beneficial to truely rank your #1 first and so on. That said, the higher you rank a school, the more favorable your odds of obtaining acceptance there. Not a huge decider but bias nonetheless.

3 - Making it easier on the schools: For the most part, students who are interviewed are exceptional applicants. It stands to reason that it can be exceedingly difficult for a school to choose more than a handful of appplicants to accept. Interviewer evaluations are probably commonly very positive as well making the decisions that much harder. The match allows some of thes burden to be alliviated as the schools can sort of bracket their general choices and let a computer divy applicants up among them based on the applicants' TMDSAS rankings.

Anywho, short story long, 6/7 MD interviews (as you put it) is exceptional. The fact that you did't prematch to higher ranked schools may be a little unlikely but not at all unfathomable. The system is on your side and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are very likely to match among your top three being that you interviewed at both UTMB and UTSW - notorious statmongers (UTMB for GPA and UTSW for GPA and MCAT). So chin up and stay positive! You're sitting quite nicely in my oppinion. Maybe this is what you were fishing for, or maybe you genuinly needed to vent some anxiety (despite implying your indifference). Either way I'm happy to help.

PS FWIW, there are many many applicants (interviewd and not) that would kill to be in your position.

This. Even though it wasn't aimed at me it alleviated at least a bit of my anxiety. Thanks, PennDippody!

Come to work I'm bored.

Hahaha sorry, I'm about to delve into and Alien marathon and hope to be distracted :p

I see a lot of UTH, A&M and UTMB love in this thread (for good reason, those are awesome schools) so I gotta rep' my #1...

University_of_Texas_Southwestern_Medical_School.jpeg

I'm excited about making hilarious and corny parody videos with my classmates lol :laugh:

Sorry to deviate, guys, but I have to side with my pick of the year! Gotta bottle for Friday night's festivities already on standby.

1734.gif

Mmmmmmm...Puerto Rican rum...can't go wrong with that. Great pick!

No tequila? I am quite disappointed! Lol

Tequila is good for one thing and one thing only...getting wasted beyond reason. There is no enjoyment of tequila, one does not have "fun" drinking tequila...tequila is consumed only in the attempt to become severely inebriated.

dude_is_passed_out_drunk.jpg

This guy knows datfeel...LMAO

Anyway, I guess I am the only one here who is not excited about the match. Its weird, I am not nervous either. It will just be any other Friday morning for me. I am trying to enjoy every last day of college because as corny as it sounds, these have been the best four years of my life. I am not going to let stupid anticipation for the match take away from my last few precious days of college.

Oh well, I am not nervous or excited about Friday. TMDSAS schools interviewed me at a high rate but burned me hard from Nov 15-Dec 31. So TMDSAS I interviewed at 6/7 of your schools, you only gave me one prematch. So do what you want on Friday, the ball is in your court, I don't really care anymore. :cool:

Dude...You are going to be fine! I promise!

Look at your app cycle you got more interviews than most people dream about! You're a quality applicant man...

I know I may sound a bit like a douche here since I am not going through as much anxiety as some of you...but if UTSW is truly your first choice, please remember they have a huge (100-150 students) waitlist movement beginning around march when seats start opening up. I met many MS1's at my UTSW interview day who go in off the waitlist, it is certainly possible!

Also, keep in mind there are literally thousands of kids (I have met some) without any interviews or pre-matches at all. We are all fortunate to be going to medical school and sometimes need to step back and realize the privilege we are being given. You're in great shape, and like a few others on this thread, I am excited to see where you will end up.

UTMB!

This thread is the best out there! ALL of you future docs offer great insight, humility, laughter, and encouragement. It's great that although there is such a small percent of us striving towards this lifetime achievement, SDN unites us so that we have each other to relate to. To everyone waiting patiently and impatiently for the match results, I wish you all the best of luck. I hope many prayers are answered and many wishes are granted. This application process has been some kind of ride!

Welcome to SDN! I agree that this here is the best thread of all har har! :laugh:

Best of luck to you too bud, I hope everything works out for you, too. Kudos on mentioning the prayers...something I need to do more of :thumbup:

Chin up MD,

It has always suprised me why people on here get so bothered by not getting prematches. Perhaps it's because I'm the obvious underdog but I seriously didn't expect any. I think however, had I a more competative GPA, I still would have never expected anything. It's always been my impression that the prematches are not to fill classes but, rather , to make bids on the most desirable applicants (reasons may vary) in hopes of recruiting them from other possible schools. Also, it seems rare that applicants give up all but one of their multiple prematches before January. That is to say many applicants would have likley got prematches had others declined them where appropriate. That said, a large percent of applicants for most schools come from the match or later.I cannot speak for UTSW but I can say that the rest are counting on the match for a number of reasons.

1- Protecting acceptance yield: if schools rely heavily on the match (which most do) it protects their acceptance/matriculate stats. Which, whether we like it or not, effect a school's reputation in one way or another.

3 - Making it easier on the schools: For the most part, students who are interviewed are exceptional applicants. It stands to reason that it can be exceedingly difficult for a school to choose more than a handful of appplicants to accept. Interviewer evaluations are probably commonly very positive as well, making the decisions that much harder. The match allows some of thes burden to be alliviated as the schools can sort of bracket their general choices and let a computer divy applicants up among them based on the applicants' TMDSAS rankings.

4- The 90% rule : As a result of having to accept at least 90% TX residents in each class, Texas medical schools are forced to divy up students from the same (and relatively small) pool of interviewees. It varries but most applicants interview at many schools. This means that most of those that get interviews are going to get accepted (post interview acceptance rates ranged from 37% to a whooping 70% for our schools last year). While this is great news for the applicant, schools are forced to exchange applicants like currency until classes are filled. - all the while trying hardest to obtain top applicants. Its a complex process that only the match system can fairly mitigate.

Anywho, short story long, 6/7 MD interviews (as you put it) is exceptional. The fact that you didn't prematch to higher ranked schools may be a little unlikely but not at all unfathomable. The system is on your side and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you are very likely to match among your top three being that you interviewed at both UTMB and UTSW - notorious statmongers (UTMB for GPA and UTSW for GPA and MCAT). So chin up and stay positive! You're sitting quite nicely in my oppinion. Maybe this is what you were fishing for, or maybe you genuinly needed to vent some anxiety (despite implying your indifference). Either way I'm happy to help.

Wow, great post, very comforting. I agree with everything stated above. :thumbup:

Aaand for my "GIF of the day"....

How I imagine I'll feel tomorrow morning if things go well...
tumblr_me0n9zL9o21rjhbn2o1_400.gif