There Be Basics WW & Speed WW signups and discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y'all are intimidating me with your spreadsheets

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I'm not going to have time to even look at the thread until tomorrow night probably because I'm doing interviews all day, but I just want everyone to know that zenges is already trying to wolf-troll me again, so Imma just say contingency yeet zenges now

JK, JK...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@kaydubs Room for one more? Sorry for the last minute request. If not, my boyfriend will join the next game :giggle:

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Nobody asked but here's my starting sheet, feel free to use it for your own tracking purposes!
Be sure to delete the "MEEEEE" or move it to yourself and input my name if you use it lol
**alley idk why but it put your username as your nickname but I promise you're in there as alley now lol
***i also just added a new version with the beginning color coding of everyone in neutral and a couple of names fixed (4:24p Fantasyland)
thank youuuuu!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Okay, but how many tabs do you have open?

Also check out my professor's taskbar :laugh:
20210204_195404.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@kaydubs I think my brother is gonna join the speed game, but his registration is still pending

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all for the responses! Okay: based on what's been posted so far (apologies if I missed something or someone!). Please let me know if your tag did not work. Also, if you want to bow out based on cycle and start date.

Basics: seems like 36/12 is preferred
so sorry to my 12/12 preferred crew (sunshinefl + Zenge!)) - I think I could start this tomorrow morning with 1st vote cycle ending Saturday evening (say 10pm?). Sorry to @Cyndia + @Doggo Labs but you'll have to spectate it seems! ETA: Day cycle will run 10am-10pm following day, night cycle 10pm-10am with earlier closes when possible)
1. @Animal Midwife
2. @Dinashadow
3. @WildZoo
4. @supershorty
5. @Aprilthearab
6. @Ms Procrastinator
7. @genny
8. @alleycat03
9. @vetschoolsletmeinplease
10. @LaineyLou
11. @Zenge142
12. @sunshinefl
13. @kraskadva
14. @Viscernable
15. @DrRoRo
16. @Crayola227 (will be absentee due to personal circumstances Friday)
17. @PhiloslothicalStudent
18. @Acehunter123

Speed: I'm leaning Sunday evening starting ~6pm Eastern so there shouldn't be too much overlap with the basics game! Or too much overlap, but y'all can handle it, I believe in you!! Day cycles will likely be 30 minutes, night cycles will be 15min/shorter preferred. I don't foresee it going beyond 10pm Eastern at the latest.
1. @Animal Midwife
2. @WildZoo - tentatively
3. @Ms Procrastinator
4. @genny
5. @BigCats
6. @alissa14 (Sat or Sun but has large exam on Monday AM)?
7. @Zenge142
8. @sunshinefl
9. @kraskadva
10. @Viscernable
11. @Crayola227
12. kras’s brother?

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thanks all for the responses! Okay: based on what's been posted so far (apologies if I missed something or someone!). Please let me know if your tag did not work. Also, if you want to bow out based on cycle and start date.

Basics: seems like 36/12 is preferred
so sorry to my 12/12 preferred crew (sunshinefl + Zenge!)) - I think I could start this tomorrow morning with 1st vote cycle ending Saturday evening (say 10pm?). Sorry to @Cyndia + @Doggo Labs but you'll have to spectate it seems! ETA: Day cycle will run 10am-10pm following day, night cycle 10pm-10am with earlier closes when possible)
1. @Animal Midwife
2. @Dinashadow
3. @WildZoo
4. @supershorty
5. @Aprilthearab
6. @Ms Procrastinator
7. @genny
8. @alleycat03
9. @vetschoolsletmeinplease
10. @LaineyLou
11. @Zenge142
12. @sunshinefl
13. @kraskadva
14. @Viscernable
15. @DrRoRo
16. @Crayola227 (will be absentee due to personal circumstances Friday)
17. @PhiloslothicalStudent
18. @Acehunter123

Speed: I'm leaning Sunday evening starting ~6pm Eastern so there shouldn't be too much overlap with the basics game! Or too much overlap, but y'all can handle it, I believe in you!! Day cycles will likely be 30 minutes, night cycles will be 15min/shorter preferred. I don't foresee it going beyond 10pm Eastern at the latest.
1. @Animal Midwife
3. @Ms Procrastinator
4. @genny
5. @BigCats
6. @alissa14 (Sat or Sun but has large exam on Monday AM)?
7. @Zenge142
8. @sunshinefl
9. @kraskadva
10. @Viscernable
11. @Crayola227
12. kras’s brother?
You can keep me for the speed game Sunday evening!!

I did surgery on 8 amphibians today and they all lived, their incisions looked great, and no implants were lost (which is good because I didn't buy extras). So I'm feeling pretty good about myself!
Is the anesthesia used for amphibians different from that used for dogs and cats?

Is the anesthesia used for amphibians different from that used for dogs and cats?
Yes and no.
Some of the same injectable drugs can be used, though there isn't as much information available on dosing, duration, etc etc. But it's a big research area so I expect we'll have more reliable info in the coming years.
You can also use inhalants bubbled into the water but induction is usually prolonged with that method.

Because of the way amphibian skin works, topical anesthetics are pretty convenient and it's what is used most often. MS-222 is most commonly used (also used very often for fish). We use benzocaine, mostly because it's easier to get. You can get the powder but the gel dissolves better. It's literally orajel, and you just dissolve it in warm water (or ethanol - it dissolves even better in that but the tradeoff is that it can damage their skin). You can also apply liquid isoflurane topically.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Yes and no.
Some of the same injectable drugs can be used, though there isn't as much information available on dosing, duration, etc etc. But it's a big research area so I expect we'll have more reliable info in the coming years.
You can also use inhalants bubbled into the water but induction is usually prolonged with that method.

Because of the way amphibian skin works, topical anesthetics are pretty convenient and it's what is used most often. MS-222 is most commonly used (also used very often for fish). We use benzocaine, mostly because it's easier to get. You can get the powder but the gel dissolves better. It's literally orajel, and you just dissolve it in warm water (or ethanol - it dissolves even better in that but the tradeoff is that it can damage their skin). You can also apply liquid isoflurane topically.
What was the procedure? Also curious about what the implants were..

What was the procedure? Also curious about what the implants were..
Intracoelomic terbinafine implants to see if they will be protective against exposure to chytrid fungus. Half got the drug and half got blanks. The implants are about microchip size.

• Love
  • Wow
Crap, am I too late to sign up to play the speed game? I haven't played a true speed game in forever.
I feel like it'll probably be fine (@kaydubs ?) but if it is too late you can have my spot, questionable whether I'll be home from work in time anyway

• Hmm
  • Sad
Please let me know if your tag did not work. Also, if you want to bow out. Signups will be open until tomorrow for anyone still interested!!!

Speed:
Start: Sunday evening after~6pm Eastern Day cycles will likely be 30 minutes, night cycles will be 15min/shorter preferred. I don't foresee it going beyond 10pm Eastern at the latest.
1. @Animal Midwife
3. @Ms Procrastinator??
4. @genny
5. @BigCats
6. @alissa14!!
7. @Zenge142
8. @sunshinefl
9. @kraskadva
10. @Viscernable
11. @Crayola227
12. kras’s brother? ??
13. @PippyPony

@holdthemayo - can we entice you?

• Love
Sinfonian: (kras’s brother) speed, Sunday, no preference

• Love
Please let me know if your tag did not work. Also, if you want to bow out. Signups will be open until tomorrow for anyone still interested!!!

Speed:
Start: Sunday evening after~6pm Eastern Day cycles will likely be 30 minutes, night cycles will be 15min/shorter preferred. I don't foresee it going beyond 10pm Eastern at the latest.
1. @Animal Midwife
3. @Ms Procrastinator??
4. @genny
5. @BigCats
6. @alissa14!!
7. @Zenge142
8. @sunshinefl
9. @kraskadva
10. @Viscernable
11. @Crayola227
12. @Sinfonian - make sure you can receive PMs from yours truly!!!
13. @PippyPony

Speed:
1. @Animal Midwife
3. @Ms Procrastinator??
4. @genny
5. @BigCats
6. @alissa14!!
7. @Zenge142
8. @sunshinefl
9. @kraskadva
10. @Viscernable
11. @Crayola227
12. kras’s brother? ??
13. @PippyPony

@holdthemayo - can we entice you?

Oui, mais je suis peut-être ivre.

• Wow
  • Haha

Speed:
1. @Animal Midwife
3. @Ms Procrastinator??
4. @genny
5. @BigCats
6. @alissa14!!
7. @Zenge142
8. @sunshinefl
9. @kraskadva
10. @Viscernable
11. @Crayola227
12. @Sinfonian - make sure you can receive PMs from yours truly!!!
13. @PippyPony
14. @holdthemayo - tentative? drunken debauchery?

@vetmedhead - could you be swayed?

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I logged on here and saw I had like 30 notifications, and panicked because I forgot I posted in the rant thread last night
As long as some of the notifications aren't two PMs, you're always safe.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users