There Be Basics WW & Speed WW signups and discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm here

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
gay pride GIF

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, was browsing dresses online for a friend who was already engaged. Saw this dress and sent it to her and she was like lol no, but YOU should try that one (except Z hadn’t proposed yet), so I bookmarked it and moved on with my life. Z proposed a couple months later so I started looking into the dress on the early side because it was from an old collection and I wasn’t sure it would still exist for all that long.

Ended up calling every store in Minnesota that carried that designer (as an introvert, I can’t emphasize enough how much I hate phone calls lol), every store in California where my parents live, and ultimately contacted the designer directly in Barcelona, where they told me there was ONE sample dress in the entire US. The MN stores could order the dress for me, but I wouldn’t be able to try it on unless I went to the one sample dress in NYC. So I wrote it off in my head and was like meh, oh well. I hadn’t been back home at that point in 4 or 5 years, and flying in to try a dress seemed a little much to me, but I also wasn’t going to order it sight unseen, so I was going to just shrug it off and move on with my life.

And then my mom texted me that she’d found round trip airfare to NY for $87 and she really thought I should go try it because she thought I would always wonder about it later. She’s persuasive and I’m impulsive sometimes soooo I booked it and then proceeded to keep checking in with the store to make sure they still had it. I may have gone overboard on this because when I got there, they brought me back to show it to me before they even finished checking me in 😂

Anyway, so I went to class that morning, flew to NYC for a 2:30 appointment, and then flew back to MN - but because my mom wasn’t going to fly to NYC for a dress appointment, I had a friend meet me there and we video called my mom. We only got good enough reception to do it at the front of the store, so I was basically standing in the display window, and my mom kept commenting that the dress was too big and I needed a smaller one (bless her, sample sizes don’t come in supershorty size). She also wanted to see the back of the dress, and we had to clamp the front to be able to pull the back tight enough, and I accidentally might have flashed some construction workers for a second there 😳.

Flew home and ordered the dress, it came in and has since been discontinued - I got one of the last ones they made! And it is perfect in every way and was worth it.

The end.
That is an AMAZING story. When you know you know!!!!! I would ask for a picture but a certain letter of the alphabet cannot see

Reactions: 2 users
Meanwhile, the person who helped me find my dress said it was the fastest she'd ever had someone pick out a dress :laugh:

It just fit with the low-key wedding I wanted to have. Also the dress was on sale and fit perfectly, so I was very pleased with the outcome

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It just fit with the low-key wedding I wanted to have. Also the dress was on sale and fit perfectly, so I was very pleased with the outcome
my mama got her dress off the clearance rack, she had seen it in the window 3 months before my dad proposed! she walked in, grabbed it, and walked up to the register without even trying it on

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
That is an AMAZING story. When you know you know!!!!! I would ask for a picture but a certain letter of the alphabet cannot see
I keep telling him it’s a turtleneck with a tutu but he seems to think there might be some discrepancies in my truthiness 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I keep telling him it’s a turtleneck with a tutu but he seems to think there might be some discrepancies in my truthiness 🤣
that sounds so cute though. very chic. I'm so happy you got it and your story honestly makes it sound like it was MEANT to be yours

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m just totally blown away by people like you who can visualize and then create something like that. It’s so cool! I hope we get to see it when you make it!!
it won't be for a few years but I'll send you the pictures! We'll all be on here playing WW anyway lol

Asterisks for non-game-related.

@vetschoolsletmeinplease , what kind of stone is in your ring? I noticed its color yesterday :love:
I have an emerald in mine instead of a diamond and I LOVE it.

I have a green amethyst!

****mine is an emerald too!! With little baby moissanites around it. I’m in love with it!!!****

Me too! My wedding band is wood though so that's cool

Heal shorty
also thanks everyone for the engagement ring ideas that'll be useful in future. 💍💍

i would have lab or vintage diamonds if we could afford it tbh but i have like $50 in my savings

I've got a vintage sapphire in mine... vintage sapphire=non-heat treated, so it looks black. I love it. Got it at an antique shop - which that or estate sales are great places to get blinging jewelry for a fraction of what you'd pay in store.

• Love

I've got a vintage sapphire in mine... vintage sapphire=non-heat treated, so it looks black. I love it. Got it at an antique shop - which that or estate sales are great places to get blinging jewelry for a fraction of what you'd pay in store.
my ring is from a tiny shop on etsy! honestly vintage/small business is my favorite way to get jewelry

PXL_20210208_052442342.jpg

Pardon the fat fingers, I just got out of the shower

• Love
not to be a stalker or anything but i was browsing SDN and stumbled upon all this wedding talk. @vetschoolsletmeinplease your ring is beautiful and i love that its so unique! Its also amazing that you're making your own dress. I really want to get more into sewing but its daunting! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Jw because you are applying to school this year but you also said you've been a seamstress for 8 years. I also caught your Wicked reference. It is my favorite musical <3

• Love
also maybe im confused.... who's with who? Is april with Ace and Shorty with Zenge?

Reactions: 1 user
not to be a stalker or anything but i was browsing SDN and stumbled upon all this wedding talk. @vetschoolsletmeinplease your ring is beautiful and i love that its so unique! Its also amazing that you're making your own dress. I really want to get more into sewing but its daunting! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Jw because you are applying to school this year but you also said you've been a seamstress for 8 years. I also caught your Wicked reference. It is my favorite musical <3
I'm 22! I started sewing my freshman year of highschool in the theatre department and I fell in love with vintage fashion and replicating historical fashion. do more sewing!!! you make pieces that fit you perfectly, last so much longer, and that you really love. always feel free (and this goes for anyone) to pm me with any questions or advice! sewing is not without its frustrations, i have almost thrown my machine out the window more times than i can count, but it is so rewarding!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
that is such a cool stone omg
I like it a lot. I didn't want a diamond, bc ethical issues, and I kinda think they're boring (no shade to those who like them, just personal preference), so my hubby and I went a perused a lot of vintage stores. That one was the first that we both liked.

• Love
Maybe he should try a speed WW!
I tried to get him in on this past one but he was working on an assignment for school. Perhaps I can coerce him for the next one!

I'm 22! I started sewing my freshman year of highschool in the theatre department and I fell in love with vintage fashion and replicating historical fashion. do more sewing!!! you make pieces that fit you perfectly, last so much longer, and that you really love. always feel free (and this goes for anyone) to pm me with any questions or advice! sewing is not without its frustrations, i have almost thrown my machine out the window more times than i can count, but it is so rewarding!
I feel that. My dress was also vintage - 20's flapper white silk/sequins that I tailored to be more form fitting. Always better to make a thing you really love than than try to squeeze into something that makes you uncomfortable

• Love
squeeze into something that makes you uncomfortable
YES. I got *birthing* hips so off the rack clothing is always loose on my waist and tight on my hips. The solution is cutting between pattern lines lol

I feel that. My dress was also vintage - 20's flapper white silk/sequins that I tailored to be more form fitting. Always better to make a thing you really love than than try to squeeze into something that makes you uncomfortable
poof

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
But if you're broke and into very small gatherings and want something just a titch cooler than a trip to the courthouse, getting married in a random bamboo garden area at your favorite zoo is pretty nice :)

• Love
But if you're broke and into very small gatherings and want something just a titch cooler than a trip to the courthouse, getting married in a random bamboo garden area at your favorite zoo is pretty nice :)
We did our whole wedding/reception for ~3k so I feel ya

I drunkenly told my boyfriend most of the wedding stuff from the thread (btw Anna I’m so happy for you!!!) and he said “no internet friends will be invited to our wedding unless you know them in real life” and now I’m lowkey insulted. He was going to be my plus one on the hypothetical bus road trip to Anna’s wedding but now I’m rethinking that lmao.
I don’t know if this is just because I’m tired and should go to bed, but this is making me laugh so hard.

• Haha
We did our whole wedding/reception for ~3k so I feel ya
Mine was uh...idk, whatever price of admission to the zoo for like 15 people was :laugh:

For a while there the in-laws talked about planning a "real" wedding for after I was done with vet school but thank goodness that died off. His family is...way too big. And I am way too introverted to enjoy any part of that lol

• Haha
His family is...way too big
I'm the one with the crazy big family:(
I'm the youngest girl in my gen and the indian and salvadoran family would murder my mom if i had anything less than 200 guests. everyone from BOTH old countries.

• Wow
Mine was uh...idk, whatever price of admission to the zoo for like 15 people was :laugh:

For a while there the in-laws talked about planning a "real" wedding for after I was done with vet school but thank goodness that died off. His family is...way too big. And I am way too introverted to enjoy any part of that lol
95% of the cost was the full dinner reception we did for the 20-odd family members who could show up on short notice - fortunately the parents kicked in for that

FC78D387-DF3F-4C9A-B6FC-BC8F0915210A.jpeg

Also since we’re discussing rings I thought I’d drop mine here because I really like mine. They’re just rings. Placeholders if you will. I went with the opal because I didn’t want something that looked like an engagement ring and the heart one that I usually wear on my right hand was just because I liked it. I pray everyday that my opal one never gets lost, stolen, or damaged because I got it from Sears which is basically non existent now. The stone cracked after having it for about a year (I think I banged it against my wall while sleeping). And we had a warranty and I had a heck of a time trying to get Sears to fix it because they were basically out of business. But it ended up being taken care of in the end.

• Love
I'm the youngest girl in my gen and the indian and salvadoran family would murder my mom if i had anything less than 200 guests. everyone from BOTH old countries.
I would die

View attachment 329486
Also since we’re discussing rings I thought I’d drop mine here because I really like mine. They’re just rings. Placeholders if you will. I went with the opal because I didn’t want something that looked like an engagement ring and the heart one that I usually wear on my right hand was just because I liked it. I pray everyday that my opal one never gets lost, stolen, or damaged because I got it from Sears which is basically non existent now. The stone cracked after having it for about a year (I think I banged it against my wall while sleeping). And we had a warranty and I had a heck of a time trying to get Sears to fix it because they were basically out of business. But it ended up being taken care of in the end.
Opals are so pretty!! Your ring is gorgeous 😍

• Love
Apparently I can’t figure out the new spoiler thing on SDN:smack:

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
My brain is already trying to figure out how early I’d be able to sneak out of the wedding if my family were that large. No joke, I had a thought of “would I even have to go? They’d have food and booze available, right, what would they need ME for?”

• Haha
I had to forbid my dad from making an engagement announcement in the paper or every old lady in the county would have been offended that they didn't get an invitation.
That convo:
"They'll think you're pregnant and we're ashamed"
"Ok, I'm fine with that"
"but....!!!!"
"You can tell them after that it was close family only, and I'm about to leave the country anyway"
"BUT...!!!"
...on repeat for several hours...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
My brain is already trying to figure out how early I’d be able to sneak out of the wedding if my family were that large. No joke, I had a thought of “would I even have to go? They’d have food and booze available, right, what would they need ME for?”
my parents left their reception 2 hours in and no one really noticed, they kept partying all night long :rofl:

• Haha