There Be Basics WW & Speed WW signups and discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
he deserves to be chopped off the plus 1 for banning internet friends
We have several years (like 5? at least) for me to convince him to change his mind so it’s all good. And don’t worry, I’ll still come even without a plus one if he doesn’t earn it 😂

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
39D54C75-FAF2-4BBD-8F4A-3A533A7A7228.jpeg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t know I was quoted in this thread and I got so confused on why page 4 kept changing. But now I understand. Thanks shorty for moving me over!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oui, mais je suis peut-être ivre.
I just had to google translate mayo’s response and now I’m cracking up. I took 1 quarter of Spanish in 5th grade and that was it. No other foreign languages.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know if this is just because I’m tired and should go to bed, but this is making me laugh so hard.
I am tired + not sober so typing is hard but I’m glad I could entertain

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 4 users
I keep telling him it’s a turtleneck with a tutu but he seems to think there might be some discrepancies in my truthiness 🤣
Lmaoo. Your story sounds like stuff I totally do. (Not for my wedding dress but in general how you were in that story is my basic existence)
See if only i got my boyfriend to stick around... he thinks WW goes on for too long and doesn't have the attention span for it. RIP @anthony210
Aww I remember @anthony210 :(
it needs a good cleaning, it's actually a bit less opaque lol
View attachment 329482
Beautiful rings! But also I always pictured you older and these are young hands lol
View attachment 329486
Also since we’re discussing rings I thought I’d drop mine here because I really like mine. They’re just rings. Placeholders if you will. I went with the opal because I didn’t want something that looked like an engagement ring and the heart one that I usually wear on my right hand was just because I liked it. I pray everyday that my opal one never gets lost, stolen, or damaged because I got it from Sears which is basically non existent now. The stone cracked after having it for about a year (I think I banged it against my wall while sleeping). And we had a warranty and I had a heck of a time trying to get Sears to fix it because they were basically out of business. But it ended up being taken care of in the end.
I love opal!! It’s my birthstone!! I have opal rings but like you said they are more fragile so I don’t wear them daily. I do have opal earrings I wear in rotation with diamond earring as regular daily wear.

• Love
Also just wanted to say that I love everyone’s rings!!!!!! I don’t want a traditional diamond (b/c ethical reasons and $$$), so I am definitely considering getting a mossanite gemstone for my ring.

• Love
Y'all are making me so excited for my wedding in August!

Also just wanted to say that I love everyone’s rings!!!!!! I don’t want a traditional diamond (b/c ethical reasons and $$$), so I am definitely considering getting a mossanite gemstone for my ring.

I have a moissanite and I love it to death

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh also, if anyone wants a good tip about invitation printing services, check out catprint.com . I designed all of our paper materials (invitations, envelopes, RSVP cards, programs, menu cards, place cards) myself using a free trial membership of Adobe InDesign (lol) and then I had them printed on cotton stock at catprint. They are a small, locally owned print shop that fosters pets in their office and they do amazing quality work. I cannot say enough good things about them as a company.

And if you donate to their local cat rescue, they'll give you a discount! (it's a little hidden, but click around to where it says "catprint cares" and you'll see the offer)

Last edited:
  • Love
Oh also, if anyone wants a good tip about invitation printing services, check out catprint.com . I designed all of our paper materials (invitations, envelopes, RSVP cards, programs, menu cards, place cards) myself using a free trial membership of Adobe InDesign (lol) and then I had them printed on cotton stock at catprint. They are a small, locally owned print shop that fosters pets in their office and they do amazing quality work. I cannot say enough good things about them as a company.

And if you donate to their local cat rescue, they'll give you a discount! (it's a little hidden, but click around to where it says "catprint cares" and you'll see the offer)
Oooh this is good to know since I need to start thinking about printing ours. I designed them already but the file is just hanging out on my computer.

I might have done them like an academic journal article because that’s what happens when you let the nerd design the invites 🤣

• Haha
  • Love
I wore a navy blue dress with cats on it to my wedding so I cannot join in real wedding dress conversations :laugh:

Oh man, why didn't I think of doing that

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Wasn’t he the 3P killer from the noob game?? Anthony come back!!
Yes and he died way too early! I told him he needed to shut up about 3Ps but did he listen?

Re: mod-kills and subs:
As an example, I’ve had games where it so happened that I had to sub out a sub.

partly why I find subs to be a slippery slope. Mod-kills may be absolute but at least they’re more reasonable to me.
I like having subs on hand for emergencies. Mostly because a mod-kill feels like a punishment, and while most of the time I think people should be self aware enough to know if they're not going to be able to keep up with a game, sometimes life happens, and I hate to have someone be like "uh hey I am in the hospital and can no longer play" and then modkill, if I could have someone step in instead. Modkill in a situation like that is especially hard on a wolf team**, and because I want to keep things equal, I like to be able to offer a sub for circumstances like that no matter affiliation. But I don't sub ghosty players because then there's no incentive not to be ghosty. And also because subs are often limited anyway.

It is hard having someone sub in once you're decently far into a game though.

**of course you can make some adjustments to try to rebalance after something like that happens, but I find midgame balancing to be an even slippier (?) slope and I don't like doing it.

• Hmm
Re: mod-kills and subs:
As an example, I’ve had games where it so happened that I had to sub out a sub.

partly why I find subs to be a slippery slope. Mod-kills may be absolute but at least they’re more reasonable to me.
My dream is to sub in for subs. Like that one game where i subbed in for cheezits who subbed in for staggs who subbed in for mel :cat::shy:

• Sad
  • Wow
I get where you’re coming from, DubZ. But gotta do what you must when subs aren’t available.

But also, want to tell a sub to catch up on 50+ pages of chat? I guess subs should just follow the thread, like an understudy, waiting to exit the wings...

I get where you’re coming from, DubZ. But gotta do what you must when subs aren’t available.

But also, want to tell a sub to catch up on 50+ pages of chat? I guess subs should just follow the thread, like an understudy, waiting to exit the wings...
Oh for sure, I was talking about in a world where subs are available. If they aren't then sure, do what you gotta do.

And I guess I'd just leave that up to them. If they want to catch up, or jump in and see how they do without reading the whole thread, then sure, why not haha if not then you're essentially back to not having a sub and proceed as you would in that scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
My favorite TV scene ever:

Not gonna lie, I didn't know what this was going to be and I had jokingly said to Z that if you posted saying NSYNC was better than Backstreet Boys (since we seem to disagree on a lot of things), I was going to change my yeet vote to you for a few minutes just out of spite.

I am glad to see I didn't have to do that :laugh:

• Haha
Y'all, I just finished reading the kind of book where you stay up until 2 am reading it because it's sooooooo good, and then I got to the end of it and learned that it's based on a true story, and now I am SHOOK.

For a brief plot summary from GoodReads:
"Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.

Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancé, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption."

tl;dr: an "orphanage" operating in Tennessee was kidnapping kids and then selling them to wealthy families through high-priced adoptions.

The book is called When We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate and holy cow. Go read it.

• Wow
  • Love
Y'all, I just finished reading the kind of book where you stay up until 2 am reading it because it's sooooooo good, and then I got to the end of it and learned that it's based on a true story, and now I am SHOOK.

For a brief plot summary from GoodReads:
"Twelve-year-old Rill Foss and her four younger siblings live a magical life aboard their family’s Mississippi River shantyboat. But when their father must rush their mother to the hospital one stormy night, Rill is left in charge—until strangers arrive in force. Wrenched from all that is familiar and thrown into a Tennessee Children’s Home Society orphanage, the Foss children are assured that they will soon be returned to their parents—but they quickly realize the dark truth. At the mercy of the facility’s cruel director, Rill fights to keep her sisters and brother together in a world of danger and uncertainty.

Aiken, South Carolina, present day. Born into wealth and privilege, Avery Stafford seems to have it all: a successful career as a federal prosecutor, a handsome fiancé, and a lavish wedding on the horizon. But when Avery returns home to help her father weather a health crisis, a chance encounter leaves her with uncomfortable questions and compels her to take a journey through her family’s long-hidden history, on a path that will ultimately lead either to devastation or to redemption."

tl;dr: an "orphanage" operating in Tennessee was kidnapping kids and then selling them to wealthy families through high-priced adoptions.

The book is called When We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate and holy cow. Go read it.
That sounds like a great book!