Too many FLs? and What AAMC material should I buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexington251

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just finished EK 4, got a 72% (82%,60%,75%,71%). I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on Jan. 28th, but I'm not sure what AAMC material I should purchase. I currently have the sample test+both scored FLs, +the AAMC flashcards. Considering the time I have left, would it be better to purchase the Q banks or the Section banks, or both?

Also, I was planning on taking 7 FLs (AAMC 1+2+Unscored, NS 3-4, EK 3&5) from now until the 28th, pretty much every other day, but I'm worried that may exhaust me/not give me enough time to review the tests in between. If I want to remove some FLs, which ones would be best?

Thanks for reading!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you strictly MCAT studying? I've seen many succesful test takers recommending taking about twice as long reviewing FL's as taking them. Your percentages look great though so maybe you'll have less to review.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you strictly MCAT studying? I've seen many succesful test takers recommending taking about twice as long reviewing FL's as taking them.

No, I have classes, but my schedule allows me to take two FL on the weekdays. I'm completely done with content review, now it's just looking over mistakes and practicing.

Your percentages look great though so maybe you'll have less to review.
Thank you! I think I got burnt out halfway into CARS and P/S, so hopefully more practice will help me adjust. I'm aiming for a 520+, is this viable?

No, I have classes, but my schedule allows me to take two FL on the weekdays. I'm completely done with content review, now it's just looking over mistakes and practicing.

Thank you! I think I got burnt out halfway into CARS and P/S, so hopefully more practice will help me adjust. I'm aiming for a 520+, is this viable?

I would recommend taking 2 days to review for the first few and then perhaps moving to 1 day per review. The scores on your AAMC FL's will be most representative of your level of prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just finished EK 4, got a 72% (82%,60%,75%,71%). I'm scheduled to take the MCAT on Jan. 28th, but I'm not sure what AAMC material I should purchase. I currently have the sample test+both scored FLs, +the AAMC flashcards. Considering the time I have left, would it be better to purchase the Q banks or the Section banks, or both?

Also, I was planning on taking 7 FLs (AAMC 1+2+Unscored, NS 3-4, EK 3&5) from now until the 28th, pretty much every other day, but I'm worried that may exhaust me/not give me enough time to review the tests in between. If I want to remove some FLs, which ones would be best?

Thanks for reading!!

You would be crazy to do NS/EK material but not the SB and OG.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for reading!!
In general, remove anything NOT AAMC. Add in the AAMC section bank over any other practice tests. If you have room for more than 3 exams even with SB practice (I would NOT take an exam every other day!) then consider doing more FLs. As for EK vs. NextStep, pick whichever one you've already done more of, and eliminate those.

EK and NS FLs are the best practice tests after the AAMC, but you do not want to get too biased to one voice (unless it is the AAMC), so a mix of the two is a good idea to truly test your abilities just before the exam. My plan is to do NS 1-6, EK 1-3, and the 3 AAMC exams while chopping up NS 7-10 as smaller practice similar to the AAMC section bank.

I preferred NS only because they are about 1/2 the price of EK exams. If you already have em both, then $ is already spent, just eliminate the exams you have already done more of.

For example if you've done NS 1-3 and 1-3 of EK, then do one more of each. If you've done 3 NS and only 2 EK, do more EK.

Last edited: