Touro-CA MSMHS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolguy5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed there wasn't a thread for the Touro CA MSMHS program for this year (fall 2014) and figured I'd make one. If anyone is interviewing/interviewed or will be attending/thinking about attending, thought this would be a great way to start up some conversations and questions.

My application for this program was submitted in February. I have not heard anything back since. Hoping to hear back sometime soon as it is one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there wasn't a thread for the Touro CA MSMHS program for this year (fall 2014) and figured I'd make one. If anyone is interviewing/interviewed or will be attending/thinking about attending, thought this would be a great way to start up some conversations and questions.

My application for this program was submitted in February. I have not heard anything back since. Hoping to hear back sometime soon as it is one of my top choices.
They don't make any decisions until sometime in mid may.

I don't think they interview for this program either

Members don't see this ad :)
"Thank you for submitting your Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences (COM) application. Your file is now complete and ready for committee review. As detailed on our website (http://admissions.tu.edu/msmhs-com), the application period will close on May 19th and decisions will be released via US mail (and/or email) on May 31st."

"Thank you for submitting your Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences (COM) application. Your file is now complete and ready for committee review. As detailed on our website (http://admissions.tu.edu/msmhs-com), the application period will close on May 19th and decisions will be released via US mail (and/or email) on May 31st."
yeah man. i got that too upon submission of my app and nothing ever since.

Yeah I applied to the DO, way back in sept and hand delivered my materials to the office but it has been all quiet on the western front ever since, so I doubt any of us will hear anything at least until that window they have outlined. It is a bit of a pain, as my lease in berkeley ends on June first....

Anyone know what the average gpa of previously admitted students was and whether they take into account whether or not you have taken the MCAT? I have a 3.1 overall and have no MCAT score as of yet.

nope no idea, sorry you could email/call the office

Sup kiddos, just trolling threads here. I'm a current MSMHS student and thought I could try to help out best i can with questions or anything.
The email you got is on point. I honestly wouldn't start thinking about chances or acceptance until June. Our second round of interviews don't occur until the end of May, aka end of cycle. They'll also want to open the opportunity to DO applicant rollovers. Maybe it's tightened up from previous years, but my year's admittance trickled in through July (waitlist and such.) Oh, and no interviews.

Anyone know what the average gpa of previously admitted students was and whether they take into account whether or not you have taken the MCAT? I have a 3.1 overall and have no MCAT score as of yet.
So... for this year's class we, or at least I, didn't bother comparing stats that much. However I can tell you there was another student with a GPA slightly higher and no MCAT that got in, but idk how the rest of y'alls apps match up.

As for the MCAT, it's not required for admittance, however I'd strongly advise taking it before starting. The program does offer an MCAT prep course, but the issue is finding/making the time and endurance to study for the program AND for the MCAT. If you really must, I'd wait until Spring semester. Credit hours are Fall heavy and you'll wanna get that done.

Anyways, anything else don't hesitate. I'm sure there'll be many more questions as people get accepted or start feeling anxious haha.

Hi guys, anyone know if they take mostly in state applicants to the program? I'm a Texas resident and from my undestanding the class size is rather small...

Hi guys, anyone know if they take mostly in state applicants to the program? I'm a Texas resident and from my undestanding the class size is rather small...

They take a mix. I'm from Texas as well! Our mix this year included one from Hawaii, one from Tennessee, one from Boston/NY. So 4/15 isn't too bad. Also I don't think it matters? Touro is a private school so there is no "in state requirement". Just happens that most the applicants and people that know about the school are local?

They take a mix. I'm from Texas as well! Our mix this year included one from Hawaii, one from Tennessee, one from Boston/NY. So 4/15 isn't too bad. Also I don't think it matters? Touro is a private school so there is no "in state requirement". Just happens that most the applicants and people that know about the school are local?
Thank you very much :)

I couldn't find this on the website - anyone know when the program starts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't find this on the website - anyone know when the program starts?

With the COM program. It'll be two days of orientation then school starting the first full week of August. So for me 8/1 and 8/2 were orientation, then we started 8/5. To the best of my knowledge it'll be similar this year. Touro observes Jewish holidays, meaning there'll be about a week off in September, hence the early start.

Sup kiddos, just trolling threads here. I'm a current MSMHS student and thought I could try to help out best i can with questions or anything.
The email you got is on point. I honestly wouldn't start thinking about chances or acceptance until June. Our second round of interviews don't occur until the end of May, aka end of cycle. They'll also want to open the opportunity to DO applicant rollovers. Maybe it's tightened up from previous years, but my year's admittance trickled in through July (waitlist and such.) Oh, and no interviews.

So... for this year's class we, or at least I, didn't bother comparing stats that much. However I can tell you there was another student with a GPA slightly higher and no MCAT that got in, but idk how the rest of y'alls apps match up.

As for the MCAT, it's not required for admittance, however I'd strongly advise taking it before starting. The program does offer an MCAT prep course, but the issue is finding/making the time and endurance to study for the program AND for the MCAT. If you really must, I'd wait until Spring semester. Credit hours are Fall heavy and you'll wanna get that done.

Anyways, anything else don't hesitate. I'm sure there'll be many more questions as people get accepted or start feeling anxious haha.

Do you have any pointers on the personal statement? Are we supposed to follow the standard five paragraph essay format? What did you do? I know this is kind of last minute..

I used something similar to my medical personal statement

^this.
I applied to the MS program after not securing a seat in the 2017 COM class, so my application transferred over. The endgame is to help you get into COM, so use what you'd show them.
As for tips, aside from the articles posted online? Haha I'm probably not the best to ask, adcom advisers would have a better idea, buut.. I guess I'd say... be as positive but honest about yourself as possible. It's free response, and aside from glaring no-no's, there aren't really any bad answers. You know how people say show, don't tell? It's your chance to show them who you are, how you got here, and why you want to be here. Something besides what they can read on your application. We're like snowflakes, all different, but in the end still all snowflakes. So get their attention, don't just be another snowflake. lol
Definitely look into osteopathic medicine, try to integrate it, if even just a little. Don't just BS some crap you found on Wikipedia. It's a great resource, but you gotta take it a bit deeper than the rote recitation heard all the time, you know? As much as it can be the case, school's don't wanna accept you when you're obviously their backup plan because AMCAS didn't work out.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Maybe it'll work/help, maybe not. Just do what works for you, but still keep some professionalism.

Hey couRx, can you comment on the difficulty of the classes in the MSMHS program? Are you taking the classes with the DO students and being graded the same way? Also, are there any clinical opportunities in the curriculum to shadow DO's?

Thanks!

Hey couRx, can you comment on the difficulty of the classes in the MSMHS program? Are you taking the classes with the DO students and being graded the same way? Also, are there any clinical opportunities in the curriculum to shadow DO's?

Thanks!

Hey 99, how's it goin? The MSMHS classes aren't easy breezy, but definitely manageable. Actual time spent will depend on ability and your own ambitions.
Compared to the DO students, it's about 70%(?) of the basic sciences they go through. We're graded separately from them and have challenge sessions after. The grading won't be completely the same because our classes are split by subjects while theirs are integrated. We do take some classes with them, in the fall it's a few classes, but in the Spring it's a whole block.

In terms of clinical opportunities, you'll definitely have opportunities to shadow Suitcase and Berkeley clinics, lunchtime OMM clinic, and a couple different events during the year. These are more student run with DO faculty supervising. When you talk to Dr. Miller about it, he'll definitely stress and encourage that. Any experience is good experience I suppose. Mostly school events, not so much actual DO's in practice in the area (to my knowledge). I'm sure if you take initiative you can get something set up pretty easily though. Both Sutter and Kaiser have hospitals in Vallejo as well as a number of private practices.

Hey 99, how's it goin? The MSMHS classes aren't easy breezy, but definitely manageable. Actual time spent will depend on ability and your own ambitions.
Compared to the DO students, it's about 70%(?) of the basic sciences they go through. We're graded separately from them and have challenge sessions after. The grading won't be completely the same because our classes are split by subjects while theirs are integrated. We do take some classes with them, in the fall it's a few classes, but in the Spring it's a whole block.

In terms of clinical opportunities, you'll definitely have opportunities to shadow Suitcase and Berkeley clinics, lunchtime OMM clinic, and a couple different events during the year. These are more student run with DO faculty supervising. When you talk to Dr. Miller about it, he'll definitely stress and encourage that. Any experience is good experience I suppose. Mostly school events, not so much actual DO's in practice in the area (to my knowledge). I'm sure if you take initiative you can get something set up pretty easily though. Both Sutter and Kaiser have hospitals in Vallejo as well as a number of private practices.

Very helpful info. Thanks for the response!

If the students from this program obtain admission to Touro's COM, do they attend a few months after completing this program or is it a year long wait for the next cycle? I'm hopeful and looking forward to finding out in June.

If the students from this program obtain admission to Touro's COM, do they attend a few months after completing this program or is it a year long wait for the next cycle? I'm hopeful and looking forward to finding out in June.

A few months.You'd be applying to be part of COM c/o 2019. Of course, you can choose to wait and interview for a later cycle.

Thanks. That's awesome. Do you think it would be difficult to take the MCAT while attending the program in spring? Also do you know whether they pay for The Princeton Review or Kaplan? I've heard the princeton review is better..

Hey guys! I'm also a current MSMHS student. I just created a Facebook group for those who get accepted. Good luck everyone! It's an incredible program! :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/794280453917902/
Hey thank you for making the faceboook group. I know that the application cycle just closed and decision date is around the corner. Can you comment on their application process?

Thanks. That's awesome. Do you think it would be difficult to take the MCAT while attending the program in spring? Also do you know whether they pay for The Princeton Review or Kaplan? I've heard the princeton review is better..

That's up to you. We had finals in mid March. Then depending on who your research mentor is, the amount of time you spend in the lab will vary. At least you won't have studying to do during that time. As for which program, i think TPR but don't quote me on it

Would they allow you to interview as late as May or is there a specific time frame in which they give you the opportunity? Hey, thanks for the info! The web cite says that 90 to 100 percent of past graduates have attained admission to Touro's COM. It seems as if most people maintain a high gpa, they are highly likely to gain admission. Can you attest to the validity of this statement?

Do any of your classmates work while attending this program? Do you think a part time job would be manageable or too difficult with the course load?

Do any of your classmates work while attending this program? Do you think a part time job would be manageable or too difficult with the course load?

There are 2 interview opportunities. One in mid/late March, the other around the end of May. And yes, so far it's been around there as far as admission rate.

As for working, I know of 2. One as a scribe and the other as an EMT. However I don't know how much they actually worked, if it was PRN or the minimum to maintain on payroll. YMMV. Are you considering the program, working, and taking the MCAT all in one year?

Hey thank you for making the faceboook group. I know that the application cycle just closed and decision date is around the corner. Can you comment on their application process?

You apply, the deadline hits, they let you know if you're in, waitlisted, or rejected. Then those accepted have the option to pay the deposit and take the seat or forfeit it. Those seats forfeited will be then offered to those on the waitlist. Don't ask the school about how high up on the list you are, they won't tell you. Anyway, that cycle continues until all the seats are filled. Is that what you were asking?

There are 2 interview opportunities. One in mid/late March, the other around the end of May. And yes, so far it's been around there as far as admission rate.

As for working, I know of 2. One as a scribe and the other as an EMT. However I don't know how much they actually worked, if it was PRN or the minimum to maintain on payroll. YMMV. Are you considering the program, working, and taking the MCAT all in one year?

I was just curious whether working was possible while taking the program. I haven't decided on all of the above. I'll evaluate it if I'm given the opportunity. All three doesn't seem that manageable. How many hours do you have to study? Does it seem more difficult than upper division biology colleges at a University? Thanks again for the info.

You apply, the deadline hits, they let you know if you're in, waitlisted, or rejected. Then those accepted have the option to pay the deposit and take the seat or forfeit it. Those seats forfeited will be then offered to those on the waitlist. Don't ask the school about how high up on the list you are, they won't tell you. Anyway, that cycle continues until all the seats are filled. Is that what you were asking?
Yes and when will they notify us? If you're on waiting list how late can you find out? Thanks

I was just curious whether working was possible while taking the program. I haven't decided on all of the above. I'll evaluate it if I'm given the opportunity. All three doesn't seem that manageable. How many hours do you have to study? Does it seem more difficult than upper division biology colleges at a University? Thanks again for the info.

So, a lot of your questions are very subjective. It's harder IMO. Unless you consider what's roughly 70% OMS-I basic sciences the same difficulty as upper level ugrad bio courses, then maybe not. How many hours to study? What kind of grades are you okay with, and what are you willing to put in to make 'em? I could tell you 3, I could tell you 10 and they'd both be right.

Yes and when will they notify us? If you're on waiting list how late can you find out? Thanks
You got May 31 on the email, right? Trust them on that, they should have it then. After that it's anyone's guess. I got tapped around late June/ early July though there were a few notified a week before orientation

So, a lot of your questions are very subjective. It's harder IMO. Unless you consider what's roughly 70% OMS-I basic sciences the same difficulty as upper level ugrad bio courses, then maybe not. How many hours to study? What kind of grades are you okay with, and what are you willing to put in to make 'em? I could tell you 3, I could tell you 10 and they'd both be right.

You got May 31 on the email, right? Trust them on that, they should have it then. After that it's anyone's guess. I got tapped around late June/ early July though there were a few notified a week before orientation
Yup. I got the May 31st email. When does the program begin?

Hey current MSMHS students, with decision date around the corner, I was just wondering if most of you got your decision via e-mail or postal mail? Did you actually receive them on the May 30th/31st decision date or slightly after?

*Fingers crossed* If I get in, I will be looking to move to Mare Island from MA for the MCAT prep course in July. Can anyone offer any insight into how long you get after receiving the decision to pay deposit, what is the housing situation like?..would it be possible to find a room on such little notice?, what to bring, what services are around campus, is it necessary to have a car?, what student life is like, possibly any advice about specific faculty members, and any advice in general that you wish you knew beforehand?

Thank you! :)

Yup. I got the May 31st email. When does the program begin?
Early August. Last year started on the 5th.

Hey current MSMHS students, with decision date around the corner, I was just wondering if most of you got your decision via e-mail or postal mail? Did you actually receive them on the May 30th/31st decision date or slightly after?

*Fingers crossed* If I get in, I will be looking to move to Mare Island from MA for the MCAT prep course in July. Can anyone offer any insight into how long you get after receiving the decision to pay deposit, what is the housing situation like?..would it be possible to find a room on such little notice?, what to bring, what services are around campus, is it necessary to have a car?, what student life is like, possibly any advice about specific faculty members, and any advice in general that you wish you knew beforehand?

Thank you! :)
I can't speak for those outright accepted, but I got a phone call when they pulled me off the waitlist. There will be email and snail mail as well. Some of us got it on the decision date, but a good number were off the waitlist. Once you get in, you'll have 2 weeks to pay the deposit to hold your seat. Unfortunately, that's how it is for all programs at TUCA.

Housing is a bit hit or miss. You can definitely look for housing on the island, there are a bunch of houses that students live in, or look for apartments in Vallejo or Benicia. There are also people looking to sublet right now as they'll be out of town the whole summer, but that bridge will get crossed once you get there. Same about the faculty, it'll probably be too confusing and random to just start spouting things about the professors

Yes it'd be best to have a car, the island is pretty isolated. The school, VA, Army reserve/national guard post, forest service, golf course, schools, houses. Supermarkets, stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc are all off island. Do you mind expounding on "what to bring"? Campus does have a coffee cart with snacks and a cafe where they serve kosher lunch every day as well as a room full of microwaves and 2 refrigerators. Student life is decent, we have a nice basketball gym, a weight room, racquetball court, a heavy and speed bag, and clubs of all kinds. There's weightlifting/kettlebell, soccer, bball, grappling, running, music, spanish, just about anything you can think of. And if we don't, you can start it.

Do you have to take the MCAT prep course in Touro area or can you just sign up for the online version or classroom version where you are currently living? I don't understand why they would require you to take it there as they are available online as well as all cities.. Has anyone been accepted yet? I hope I find out sooner rather than later. That would be difficult to move with a week's notice.

Do you have to take the MCAT prep course in Touro area or can you just sign up for the online version or classroom version where you are currently living? I don't understand why they would require you to take it there as they are available online as well as all cities.. Has anyone been accepted yet? I hope I find out sooner rather than later. That would be difficult to move with a week's notice.

i have no idea

How many in your class were applicants to the MSMHS program only and how many were applicants to the COM but were rejected and then attended this program? Alternatively, do you know how many COM applicants are offered a spot in this program?

How many in your class were applicants to the MSMHS program only and how many were applicants to the COM but were rejected and then attended this program? Alternatively, do you know how many COM applicants are offered a spot in this program?

off the top of my head, 5 or 6 were direct MS applicants out of 15 in the class. But we never really asked each other

Hi there. I'm also a current MSMHS student of the 2014 year. I applied to MD and DO schools during the 2012-2013 application cycle. When I didn't get in anywhere, I had gotten an email from Dr. Miller about this program and that is when I applied to it. I think I was notified in late May - early June.

Can anyone provide insight, Touro-CA vs Touro-NV?
you can check both websites and compare the two programs, unless you're looking for other information. then you might need to specify more.

How many people in the current class hadn't taken the MCAT prior to their admission?

What's the likelihood of hearing back on the 30th, as they stated? Will most admission offers be received today?

opinions please: drexel ims or touro, should I get in friday?