Touro-COM NY Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hoping my interview group finds out today. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

drgioiadds, how many people were in your interview group? j/w since you went near the end of the cycle, I was curious to see if it was the full 12 or whatever it normally is, or if the groups were getting smaller by then.

There were 12-15. I am on the Wait List HIGH.

Members don't see this ad :)
icon1.png

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

Another guy from my group also got the HIGH waitlist also. So you can add DR X to the high. I'm hoping we can find out the position soon -- I have px and a dental practice to take care of. I'll be heading to another interview this weekend. Really liked Touro, so hopefully it will all work out.

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds
DR X

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

congrats!! enjoy your azcom interview!

you think Obed will tell us our positions on the high wait?

I think so - He also made it sound that the majority of this list will get in. Probably won't start moving until after the last set of interviews.

I just want to start planning ahead and i can't at this moment. I think it will work out for us in the end.

I think so - He also made it sound that the majority of this list will get in. Probably won't start moving until after the last set of interviews.

I just want to start planning ahead and i can't at this moment. I think it will work out for us in the end.

Me too!! Honestly I'm just really really exhausted...I'm waitlisted at 3 places with no acceptances and I need to know where I end up going ASAP so I can start planning...i.e. student visa, place to live, ask banks for loans, so so many things...the uncertainty is one form of torture. really.

I gave up my seat yesterday. Hopefully it goes to one of you.

I emailed a couple of questions to Obed this morning. Apparently movement of the waitlist has already occurred and that they will be closed the last 2 weeks in April. Rankings come in May and early acceptance for 2016 is made after all pulls from the waitlist are made. This is done by the dean.

I emailed a couple of questions to Obed this morning. Apparently movement of the waitlist has already occurred and that they will be closed the last 2 weeks in April. Rankings come in May and early acceptance for 2016 is made after all pulls from the waitlist are made. This is done by the dean.

Do you mean that there are people who have heard already about the waitlist, or do you mean they have just sorted out and ranked some people and nobody will hear until may?

I took it to mean that either people were pulled off the list and given a seat, or people gave up there spot on the waitlist!

BTW in flight wifi rules!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it to mean that either people were pulled off the list and given a seat, or people gave up there spot on the waitlist!

BTW in flight wifi rules!! :)

Where did u go to dental school

Where did u go to dental school

Marquette School of Dentistry - Class of 2002

I loved Milwaukee, the school was ok, but went through a lot of transition while I was there. Still a very good hands on school.

They have not pulled people off the waitlist yet...I'm sure this means that people are just removing themselves from the waitlist (other acceptances). He restated over and over again that people do not come off the waitlist and receive spots until AFTER interviews are over.

They have not pulled people off the waitlist yet...I'm sure this means that people are just removing themselves from the waitlist (other acceptances). He restated over and over again that people do not come off the waitlist and receive spots until AFTER interviews are over.

That sounds reasonable. At least we know the interviews are almost completed. If that is the case, I would imagine that there would be a lot of movement early on.

Hey fellas,

Been following this thread for a while.. I am also on the 'high waitlist'.

Hey UBCvan, r u an international student? I am international as well. Where are you from? Canada (guessing from your name)?

Hey fellas,

Been following this thread for a while.. I am also on the 'high waitlist'.

Hey UBCvan, r u an international student? I am international as well. Where are you from? Canada (guessing from your name)?

hi
congratz on the high WL!
Yes I'm from Vancouver. how about you? any acceptances yet?

hi
congratz on the high WL!
Yes I'm from Vancouver. how about you? any acceptances yet?

From Asia.. don't wanna say the country coz I might be the only international student from there applying to DO hehe...Yeah got accepted to LECOM Erie but hoping to get into Touro... I frankly don't know which school is better. Please do share if anybody have any opinions

From Asia.. don't wanna say the country coz I might be the only international student from there applying to DO hehe...Yeah got accepted to LECOM Erie but hoping to get into Touro... I frankly don't know which school is better. Please do share if anybody have any opinions

well isn't Lecom-E one of the cheapest DO schools? TouroNY is very reasonable too like 39K...but lecom is cheaper i guess.

I'm international too! I'm from Indonesia. But my interview was quite late (3/29). Hopefully I can get in eventually. I love the school.

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds
DR X
DocForThePeeps

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

Hey,
So I am wondering if anyone else has advice for me and housing (pending I get accepted, I'm just trying to look into this as much as possible early). I am halfway through a car lease, and am not really wanting to give up my car, so I need a place where I can have a parking spot (aka probably cannot live in the city). I have been looking, based on previous recommendations, at living in New Jersey, but am having trouble even finding stuff there (since parking in cities like Hoboken can be challenging as well)...does anyone have any experience with areas in New York that are north of the city (or other areas that parking is more realistic). I am willing to commute up to an hour to school (via public transit, I do NOT want to drive into the city every day for obvious reasons). Anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts? It'd be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm looking for rent that is no more than 1500 a month if that is helpful.

I'm international too! I'm from Indonesia. But my interview was quite late (3/29). Hopefully I can get in eventually. I love the school.

Let us know how it goes for you. I just interviewed at another school, that told us the class was NOT full. Not sure if Touro was full when I interviewed March, but I have a feeling it was nearly full or full. Good news is that the wait list seems to move significantly according to Obed.

Let us know how it goes for you. I just interviewed at another school, that told us the class was NOT full. Not sure if Touro was full when I interviewed March, but I have a feeling it was nearly full or full. Good news is that the wait list seems to move significantly according to Obed.

I'm constantly thinkin about getting off the waitlist right before the school starts (in july). This won't work out for me cause i need time to get my student visa, and I don't see how I can get it in couple of days.

Any opinions on this? you must already be on a student visA?

I don't think the student visa takes very long to get. Its all the other stuff, like finding a place and moving. Maybe you should call the school and ask this question - its a genuine concern! From what I have heard, the school is closing the last few weeks of April. Probably, by early may there will be some wait list movement. I' m sure initially, there will be a lot of movement.

I'm constantly thinkin about getting off the waitlist right before the school starts (in july). This won't work out for me cause i need time to get my student visa, and I don't see how I can get it in couple of days.

Any opinions on this? you must already be on a student visA?

If you are Canadian the visa process is straightforward. You book a plane ticket, obtain an I-20 form (4-5 business days through regular mail) from your school and you get the visa at the airport upon arrival in America. However, before you can get the I-20, you need to secure your loan and show proof of funds to your school. Some schools are okay with a bank statement and others want money wired to an American account.

This is my understanding of the process. GL :)

If you are Canadian the visa process is straightforward. You book a plane ticket, obtain an I-20 form (4-5 business days through regular mail) from your school and you get the visa at the airport upon arrival in America. However, before you can get the I-20, you need to secure your loan and show proof of funds to your school. Some schools are okay with a bank statement and others want money wired to an American account.

This is my understanding of the process. GL :)

I now feel so much better. thanks.

I checked the last year thread, they had about 144 people on high waitlist and right before school started Obed had informed them that there are still about 40-50 people left on high WL. So they offered acceptance to about 100 from the high WL. This doesn't mean all 100 of them attended. Many had other acceptances at other schools.

Hello everyone,
I'm also on the high waitlist. Touro-Harlem is my top choice. I like it so much. I hope all of us will get off the waitlist !!!:D

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds
DR X
DocForThePeeps
Chageo

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

Hi Everybody

I was following this thread for a while too and I decided to finally join! I have been High Waitlisted as well.

I asked Obed about being considered as a candidate for Early Acceptance if not given a seat this year. And he said that Dean will go through the list (as guydudcl371 said before). This will happen in the last week of July. I also asked how many students from High Waits are picked and he said "A hand full if the Dean desires." So I am not sure if I should be optimistic about it or not :(

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds
DR X
DocForThePeeps
Chageo
twoforone

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

Hey,
So I am wondering if anyone else has advice for me and housing (pending I get accepted, I'm just trying to look into this as much as possible early). I am halfway through a car lease, and am not really wanting to give up my car, so I need a place where I can have a parking spot (aka probably cannot live in the city). I have been looking, based on previous recommendations, at living in New Jersey, but am having trouble even finding stuff there (since parking in cities like Hoboken can be challenging as well)...does anyone have any experience with areas in New York that are north of the city (or other areas that parking is more realistic). I am willing to commute up to an hour to school (via public transit, I do NOT want to drive into the city every day for obvious reasons). Anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts? It'd be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'm looking for rent that is no more than 1500 a month if that is helpful.

Well, truth be told, if you're willing to get a roommate its cheaper to live in Brooklyn than in New Jersey. Parking throughout most of Brooklyn is totally free, though there are random alternate side of the road rules, but thats true in any of the "city-like" areas of NJ too. And Brooklyn is definitely cheaper than Hoboken or the nice parts of Jersey City. The downside is that Jersey and Brooklyn both have very difficult commutes to drive.

As for Westchester the costs vary IMMENSELY. You can find great deals or terrible ones. The drive in is easy as can be if you can get near the west side highway. But Westchester tends to be no less expensive than Manhattan proper.

My suggestion is to pass your lease off to someone else. Other people have informed me this is rather easy and their are lots of reputable websites based on handing off leases when you can't continue yours. Go move into the city and you'll 1) probably not spend any more money since transportation by car is MUCH more expensive than transport in the city and the rents aren't that much different in any of these places and 2) you'll be much more involved in your class and we're a very close family of students.... but we almost never hang out with the people who are not in manhattan.

Well, truth be told, if you're willing to get a roommate its cheaper to live in Brooklyn than in New Jersey. Parking throughout most of Brooklyn is totally free, though there are random alternate side of the road rules, but thats true in any of the "city-like" areas of NJ too. And Brooklyn is definitely cheaper than Hoboken or the nice parts of Jersey City. The downside is that Jersey and Brooklyn both have very difficult commutes to drive.

As for Westchester the costs vary IMMENSELY. You can find great deals or terrible ones. The drive in is easy as can be if you can get near the west side highway. But Westchester tends to be no less expensive than Manhattan proper.

My suggestion is to pass your lease off to someone else. Other people have informed me this is rather easy and their are lots of reputable websites based on handing off leases when you can't continue yours. Go move into the city and you'll 1) probably not spend any more money since transportation by car is MUCH more expensive than transport in the city and the rents aren't that much different in any of these places and 2) you'll be much more involved in your class and we're a very close family of students.... but we almost never hang out with the people who are not in manhattan.

Thanks for the info! I've been looking at places in CT too. Guess I'm just going to keep options open and see what I am able to find. Just nervous because turning over leases screws with your credit (though temporarily)...and with the amount of debt I have from undergrad/my masters, I really don't want to make my situation worse if at all possible.

And the social point is definitely a good one for me to keep in mind...though I'm super social anyway...so not sure I will have a problem regardless of how far my commute is... :)

Hi Everybody

I was following this thread for a while too and I decided to finally join! I have been High Waitlisted as well.

I asked Obed about being considered as a candidate for Early Acceptance if not given a seat this year. And he said that Dean will go through the list (as guydudcl371 said before). This will happen in the last week of July. I also asked how many students from High Waits are picked and he said "A hand full if the Dean desires." So I am not sure if I should be optimistic about it or not :(

I understand what you mean. The waiting is tough. Thinking about all of the possibilities makes my mood swing 180 degrees every 10 seconds. I guess reading posts from my compassionate fellow wait-listers keeps me survive. :)

I understand what you mean. The waiting is tough. Thinking about all of the possibilities makes my mood swing 180 degrees every 10 seconds. I guess reading posts from my compassionate fellow wait-listers keeps me survive. :)

Agreed on the mood swings! haha. I'm nervous about how they rank the waitlist...Touro seems to be the most transparent about how they evaluate the other parts of your application, but I'm worried this ranking will come down to mostly our numbers....And understandably, Obed isn't too talkative about how the order is determined. So, all we can do is wait.

GL to everyone waiting. Hang in there. Hope to meet you all in august :)

Did anyone from my group interview find out? I found out today I'm placed on waitlist high, along with the same message about early admission consideration for next year that everyone got.

I truly wonder how many people will sit on the waitlist and how many people they will admit. Finger crossed :/

Agreed on the mood swings! haha. I'm nervous about how they rank the waitlist...Touro seems to be the most transparent about how they evaluate the other parts of your application, but I'm worried this ranking will come down to mostly our numbers....And understandably, Obed isn't too talkative about how the order is determined. So, all we can do is wait.

I wonder if they score the interview and the secondary essay. My MCAT was not stellar, but it was ok considering I took premed courses 16 years ago, AAComas gpa is good.

Did anyone from my group interview find out? I found out today I'm placed on waitlist high, along with the same message about early admission consideration for next year that everyone got.

I truly wonder how many people will sit on the waitlist and how many people they will admit. Finger crossed :/

I really think the class was full when we interviewed - I guess we will have to wait and see how many people pull out, or drop out of the wait list.

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds
DR X
DocForThePeeps
Chageo
twoforone
speedtoinfinity

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

Hi! Guys

I am interviewed on 3/30 and waitlisted high... I so want to go to this school.

High:
guydudcl371
tobeone
ashkarch
GGURU
DrJerseyGirl
DrJG11
The Notorious MPH
shazada
Mindovermatter
UBCvan
drgioiadds
DR X
DocForThePeeps
Chageo
twoforone
speedtoinfinity
spring89

Medium:
geekNERD
33doc

Hi guys,

I am also on the high waitlist...I'm feeling the same way as everyone! This wait is killer. I was wondering how many people were also part of the high waitlist facebook group? There are 45 members part of the group but I've heard there are about 100 people on the high waitlist?

Good luck to everyone!

I remember you guys were talkin about a FB page that Obed has where he talks about the waitlist. do you know how to join it??:thumbup:

I want to join this facebook page too. I tried to search for it, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know how to find it? Thanks so much :D

I think you have to be invited to join it - once you are accepted??

I think you have to be invited to join it - once you are accepted??

Yeah that's how the group is going. Once you get accepted, Obed will invite you to the group. Also the new SG has been added so they're there to answer questions along with 2014ers too. I'm crossing my fingers for all of you! :xf:

Yeah that's how the group is going. Once you get accepted, Obed will invite you to the group. Also the new SG has been added so they're there to answer questions along with 2014ers too. I'm crossing my fingers for all of you! :xf:

What's SG? Student government??