Touro-COM NY Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope everyone is getting excited to start the school year. I'm a 1st year and my roommates (2nd years) will be starting their rotations soon, so they're moving out.

If you're interested in an apartment let me know. It's a 3br/1bath with door man on Riverside Dr (overlooking Hudson River) and 135th. Rent is between $750-$900 month (1 room is smaller).

Does 2015 have a facebook page? I couldn't find one with more than 1 person on it.

We do have a facebook page but its invisible. Obed has to invite you for you to join. You should definitely post on there. Lots of people connecting to find apartments/roommates.

Members don't see this ad.

Obed sent out an e-mail today. There are 191 people in the High Wait List. I.am.freaking.out.

Obed sent out an e-mail today. There are 191 people in the High Wait List. I.am.freaking.out.

But this is the typical size. Don't freak out yet, I'm sure they know what they are doing. I'm sure there are many students accepted that applied to multiple MD/DO programs and also people who are on the High Waitlist who were accepted elsewhere.

I guess we will find out our ranking this week.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I understand....is there not a single person out there who can provide specific (non-speculative) details on how much of the waitlist they go through? Obed has said repeatedly that they go through a "majority." I have heard specific numbers last year from the entire high wait list to only 40. I am just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do when they tell me my position. Do I make alternate plans if my number is bigger than 10? bigger than 40? bigger than 100? I know a lot is unique to this specific class...but does ANYONE know people from the waitlist last year who got off it and what their rank was? Any information would be great, thanks.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to contact them for a position, or if they would contact us. The email said we could find out our position this week.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to contact them for a position, or if they would contact us. The email said we could find out our position this week.

He said he'd email us. In the past I know they sent monthly email updates letting people know about movement as well.

i recently got a new LOR and I'm trying to send it to touro by interfolio.

Ive sent LORs to touro before but when I now want to search the school in interfolio, it just doesn't exist and asks me to enter the address manually which means it will take a long time to get to school as opposed to electronic transfer.

I've tried combination of words like "touro", "new york", "touro college" and so many more...it just dosn't show up.

anyone with any ideas?

This happened to me for another school as well, and I ended up having them send it by mail.

Ive sent LORs to touro before but when I now want to search the school in interfolio, it just doesn't exist and asks me to enter the address manually which means it will take a long time to get to school as opposed to electronic transfer.

I've tried combination of words like "touro", "new york", "touro college" and so many more...it just dosn't show up.

anyone with any ideas?

You may need to overnight it. I know interfolio has that option.
Also, let Obed know that you're sending in a new LOR.

anyone with any ideas?

Hey UBCVan,

I also sent a new rec. letter from a DO I shadowed abt a couple of months ago. I had the doctor sent it via regular mail and they did not receive it until a week later although other schools that he sent to did accept them. So I ended up sending it electronically via Interfolio (I think) from my undergrad HPO. Contact the other dude coz Obed is probably busy and won't care much and he will help u out. He helped me out.

thanks guys

I ended up sending the LOR using the email option. Interfolio apparently will email the LOR directly to the school. And as soon as I paid for that option, I got a message from Interfolio saying that my LOR is now in the receiver's email inbox (I used Obed's email).

It's definitely fast but I'm not sure if it's an acceptable method by Obed.

I'm in the facebook group, and Obie just said he called the top people off the list few minutes ago. And the list went down by 50. He will send the email tomorrow morning containing the ranking number.

Members don't see this ad :)
So now there is 141 on the list. Thanks for the update.

Yeah I understand....is there not a single person out there who can provide specific (non-speculative) details on how much of the waitlist they go through? Obed has said repeatedly that they go through a "majority." I have heard specific numbers last year from the entire high wait list to only 40. I am just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do when they tell me my position. Do I make alternate plans if my number is bigger than 10? bigger than 40? bigger than 100? I know a lot is unique to this specific class...but does ANYONE know people from the waitlist last year who got off it and what their rank was? Any information would be great, thanks.
It's impossible to tell how many students get pulled off of the waitlist because it is impossible to determine how many of the accepted students will actually attend for a given year; of course you can get an average from year to year - I leave that to DocSpain.

But every year as the school gets better and more established, more students choose to attend so I would assume less people get off of the wait list. There are a few exceptions to this - one year all of the students who applied could choose to go somewhere else in which case the waitlist would move significantly. However, the chances of that happening are pretty slim as the school builds a reputation.

At other more reputable schools, the waitlist barely moves 20 people.

It's impossible to tell how many students get pulled off of the waitlist because it is impossible to determine how many of the accepted students will actually attend for a given year; of course you can get an average from year to year - I leave that to DocSpain.

But every year as the school gets better and more established, more students choose to attend so I would assume less people get off of the wait list. There are a few exceptions to this - one year all of the students who applied could choose to go somewhere else in which case the waitlist would move significantly. However, the chances of that happening are pretty slim as the school builds a reputation.

At other more reputable schools, the waitlist barely moves 20 people.

Thanks, but it is more complicated than reputation. Touro-CA has historically gone through their entire high waitlist every year (according to previous students on the waitlist), and i'd say they are fairly established. But yes, I guess all we can do is wait :)

Thanks, but it is more complicated than reputation. Touro-CA has historically gone through their entire high waitlist every year (according to previous students on the waitlist), and i'd say they are fairly established. But yes, I guess all we can do is wait :)

What I can gather from last year's thread was that if you are in the top 30-40 you'll probably get in. If you follow Medx's posts last year he said he was ranked in the upper 20s and he was accepted in mid July and then a few more people said they got it after MedX posted his/her acceptance in July.

Granted each class year is different b/c the previous 2 years before that they went thru the entire high waitlist but I think that was more b/c of the fact that the school was relatively brand new.

I wud guess this year will follow last year's trend closely given their strong match list w 80% ACGME matches according to DocEspana

Two of my friends went to Touro-CA and none of them liked the campus cus it's old and depressing. I guess that had to do with why all the waitlist got in.

hmm. i emailed twice to withdraw from the high waitlist (once before Obed's 1st email this week, and again in reply to that email), yet I still received a ranking email today. I'm probably not the only one, so there might be even more movement once they catch-up.

hmm. i emailed twice to withdraw from the high waitlist (once before Obed's 1st email this week, and again in reply to that email), yet I still received a ranking email today. I'm probably not the only one, so there might be even more movement once they catch-up.

Based on my number...i'm hoping for a lot of people in your shoes haha :)

Notorious, since you withdrew from TouroCOM and still received your ranking #. Do you mind sharing with us what # would that be so I can see if I would be moving up the list or stay stationary.
Not very happy with the # I got, I hope the next round I would move up a lot more.

I dont think your # can be any worse than mine:( I dont know what to do if I dont get pull off the list or get offer an early acceptance.

i haven't received any emails yet.. they're killing me!!!

just to make sure. lower the number better chance right?

Mine is 21. Does anyone know how many people he called already? Hopefully, after may 16, there will be more movement.

I was accepted last Thursday-- big ups to my fellow late interview-ees in April (we were last ones!). I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement. I'm also on the high alternate waitlist at LECOM-E, so I'll be waiting on that. Can anybody compare-contrast the 2 schools? I know the comparative cost definitely favors LECOM, but what about quality of education, quality of facility, clinical rotations, potential residencies, USMLE performance...etc?

Sorry if these are newbie-ish questions, I'm brand spankin new to these forums.

I was accepted last Thursday-- big ups to my fellow late interview-ees in April (we were last ones!). I'm absolutely beside myself with excitement. I'm also on the high alternate waitlist at LECOM-E, so I'll be waiting on that. Can anybody compare-contrast the 2 schools? I know the comparative cost definitely favors LECOM, but what about quality of education, quality of facility, clinical rotations, potential residencies, USMLE performance...etc?

Hold please, DocEspana will be with you shortly.

Hah! We are in the exact opposite situation. I'm on the high waiting list at Touro and have been accepted to Lecom Erie. Anyways to answer your question, you can read a thread that I started titled the million $ question. I asked the exact same question and received a lot of useful responses.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure... lol

Mine is 8. I am hoping to hear something on May 16th as well

Just wondering when did you attend the interview if you don't mind. Just trying to figure out if interview dates play any role in determining the ranking numbers.

Thanks

Obie just posted on Facebook. He said he will send an email tonight. Expect a shift of 12, but no pulls into the class just yet.

hahahah I love this, almost as much as I love ejay's.

So yea. here is the rules for this sort of thing. ACCEPT where you are in. If you change your mind and lose a deposit, so be it. You do not want to play games at this point in the process. My understanding of LECOM-E is that they have very little movement on the waitlist. But that could be entirely outdated, check their specific thread for more info. This just adds to my suggestion to accept and begin planning touro and see how LECOM works out.

I, sadly, do not do many comparisons to other schools. It seems a bit too competitive. I do have one comparison. The match rates (aka number of residencies matched into / number of applicants who registered for the match) for the NMS (also known as the AOA match) was 78.8%. This put us at #10 of 25 schools in that sense for our very first matching class. The average was a little over 74%. LECOM-E got 77.7%. So you might as well call us and them equivocal there.

As for our NRMP (ACGME match) performance, we had a >80% rate because we had exactly 10 scrambles/non-matches for "just over 50" applicants. (I never quite got the exact number). 70.6% is the national match rate for DO seniors in that program. So that's good for us. If you want LECOM-E's you'll need to ask them.

Want a residency list? Boy you're demanding.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=800326
the match list is the 16th post on that thread.

and for rotation sites North Jersey (lots), Queens (20 students), Staten Island (20 students), and Rockland County (a few people). For the exact slots and what they offer... eh... i'll update this later. Too lazy now.

Oh I've already accepted. I'm not looking a gift-horse in the mouth, I'll lose the deposit if I've got to.

I'm just honestly a bit confused as to which school I like better. I like both. But for very different reasons. I was hoping performance data would help me parse it, but...it's just not looking like there's hypersignificant differences there either.

Which means I'll probably take Touro and run. So I'll probably be annoying you a lot more, if you'd care to have me do so.

And thank you for the information.

Oh I've already accepted. I'm not looking a gift-horse in the mouth, I'll lose the deposit if I've got to.

I'm just honestly a bit confused as to which school I like better. I like both. But for very different reasons. I was hoping performance data would help me parse it, but...it's just not looking like there's hypersignificant differences there either.

Which means I'll probably take Touro and run. So I'll probably be annoying you a lot more, if you'd care to have me do so.

And thank you for the information.

If I had your choice I would go to LECOM-E. Touro had an ok match this year but the LECOM residencies were a lot better. also better network and facilities. hope this helps!

If I had your choice I would go to LECOM-E. Touro had an ok match this year but the LECOM residencies were a lot better. also better network and facilities. hope this helps!

Well that part is just completely untrue. We had a shockingly good match. Better than most schools out there (nabbing Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic, and Yale in our first try? Pretty decent). I cannot speak at all to the quality of LECOM's residency match this year, and they probably had a very good one if you say so. But I am very suspicious of how much weight to give your opinion if you characterized TouroCOM's match as 'ok'.

Its just my opinion, but I think factors like Board scores, and Matching are the responsibility of the student.

When I went to Marquette, we were below the national average for Part 1 and 2, but I scored very well on both tests, simply because I took advantage of the study materials out there. Secondly, people in my class who chose to apply to specialty residencies matched very well in orthodontics and oral surgery because they took advantages of opportunities to strengthen their applications while in school.

For me, school choice has always been based on how you feel you fit with the schools teaching style and environment. If your a good fit, you should do well.

Its just my opinion, but I think factors like Board scores, and Matching are the responsibility of the student.

When I went to Marquette, we were below the national average for Part 1 and 2, but I scored very well on both tests, simply because I took advantage of the study materials out there. Secondly, people in my class who chose to apply to specialty residencies matched very well in orthodontics and oral surgery because they took advantages of opportunities to strengthen their applications while in school.

For me, school choice has always been based on how you feel you fit with the schools teaching style and environment. If your a good fit, you should do well.

its a very good point. people should note this.

Also, your surroundings during medical school will be very different between LECOM-E and TouroCOM.

I love NYC. That played a part in my choice, and I'm glad it did.

We also don't really have a dress code, we can eat in places outside of the cafeteria, etc. Touro is def more laid back than lecom-E. Not to say that those are negatives but they may not be your, for a lack of a better word, style; at least not during the first 2 years.

you should base your decision on things like: location, tuition, your feel for the school environment, family, personal issues. As mentioned above, you can be a star where ever.

Note: Lecom E does offer PBL and independent study - if that's the way you learn best then that's also something to consider. Touro is tweaking it's curriculum for this coming school year. It looks like it will be a mix between PBL and lecture based learning. For some classes the lectures will be recorded beforehand; you stream them at your leisure and show up to class for an hour discussion/Q&A on it. Less class time, more study time.

Last edited:
I really like TouroCOM. I am also on the alternate list for AZCOM, which I really love as well. When I compare TouroCOM vs. AZCOM, I love AZCOM campus better, as everything is *really* new and high-tech. But AZCOM is in the middle of nowhere. TouroCOM has decent facilities and the students are very laid-back. And great location. The only thing I'm kinda concerned of is its "provisional accreditation status"... Some MD schools require that you come from fully accredited medical schools for their residency programs.