Transfer Advice (for PGY2 position in 2018)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xana123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently starting out as a PGY1 in a psychiatry residency program. Unfortunately, I matched across the country from my SO and would really appreciate any advice about the possibility of transferring after my PGY1 year to be closer. I have tried to do my due diligence on SDN and have already bookmarked the APA/AMA sites. My questions/concerns right now are:

- How soon should I bring this up to my PD? I want to tread carefully, but also be as transparent as possible so things don't blow up. I know I have to give notice by the end of December, but is it okay for now to reach out to programs without notifying my PD? I'm scared word will somehow get back and make things difficult for me. And if so should I call or email or even perhaps have my SO (also a resident) ask around to keep some anonymity?

- Should I sign up for residentswap? Can anyone with experience with this site offer insight? Should I be looking at the number of positions listed under PGY1 or PGY2 to get an idea of what is available?

-Worst case scenario is we are apart for four years. However, is it also possible to transfer after PGY3 when spots open up as people fast track into CAP? (I haven't ruled out CAP, but do not want to put undue pressure on myself to choose a subspecialty just so I can move earlier and it would be nice to know if moving may be an option regardless)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that you matched into a program that you don't envision yourself staying at. You need to be mindful of your attitude and not to carry that with you or it will cause big problems. I don't think your reasoning would go over well with your PD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes you will realize after getting into a crappy university. Many times current residents will paint a Rosy picture to wannabe residents about the program and staff. After you realize how you got screwed, you feel dreadful and wanna get away.

Reactions: 1 users
you gotta understand your priortiries. and obviously its your spouse. so pack your bags and move it before its too late.

Reactions: 2 users
Why did you apply to programs that you have no interest in staying?

Why can't your SO come to you?

You've put yourself in a tough spot.

I applied to programs to ensure that I would get a spot in the specialty of my choice. I have no interest in delaying my career. Obviously this was not one of my top ranked spots. I am certainly grateful I got a position and at the end of the day if can't do anything about it that's that, but life is too short for me to not try to make a move that would make me happy. My SO is a also a resident and while that is possible and worth looking into, I think it would be easier for me.

I'm sorry that you matched into a program that you don't envision yourself staying at. You need to be mindful of your attitude and not to carry that with you or it will cause big problems. I don't think your reasoning would go over well with your PD.

I don't have an attitude about this. I am very grateful to have this opportunity, but there are other things in life that are also important to me that I think are worth fighting for and I think this is within reason. I am doing my best not to inconvenience anyone, hence the post.

Which are you planning to go?
I have seen some psych residents switching programs as PGY-2 and even PGY-3. Maybe, you will find difficult to get a spot in a big name. But small programs are easier to get in.
Good luck!

easier switching at pgy2 and pgy4. . pgy3 is extremely rare.

Actually, many of those who give you advice in this forum do not have strong evidence behind their statements. You should always try to seek for advice from someone who actually transferred as a pgy2 or 4. Otherwise, you should always take it with a grain of salt. For example, surprisingly many programs do post vacancies on residency swap. Last year, UCLA and SLU both posted vacancies there with the program coordinator's institution email.

I am currently starting out as a PGY1 in a psychiatry residency program. Unfortunately, I matched across the country from my SO and would really appreciate any advice about the possibility of transferring after my PGY1 year to be closer. I have tried to do my due diligence on SDN and have already bookmarked the APA/AMA sites. My questions/concerns right now are:

- How soon should I bring this up to my PD? I want to tread carefully, but also be as transparent as possible so things don't blow up. I know I have to give notice by the end of December, but is it okay for now to reach out to programs without notifying my PD? I'm scared word will somehow get back and make things difficult for me. And if so should I call or email or even perhaps have my SO (also a resident) ask around to keep some anonymity?

- Should I sign up for residentswap? Can anyone with experience with this site offer insight? Should I be looking at the number of positions listed under PGY1 or PGY2 to get an idea of what is available?

-Worst case scenario is we are apart for four years. However, is it also possible to transfer after PGY3 when spots open up as people fast track into CAP? (I haven't ruled out CAP, but do not want to put undue pressure on myself to choose a subspecialty just so I can move earlier and it would be nice to know if moving may be an option regardless)

I have no direct helpful advice to offer. Like you said in subsequent posts, life is too short and you should try your best to be happy. Residency is temporary but it feels like time slows down when you're in it.

As for the logistics, my program requires that we submit a 30-day notice if we want to resign our position. Check your contract to see what notice you need to put in.

As for when to break the news to your PD, I may be naive but it feels a little early to be looking for spots for next year (but what do I know?) I'd focus, if I was in your shoes, on getting a little experience under my belt and figuring out how you will survive the year ahead. I'd start looking seriously in say January and I'd be upfront with the PD at that time, saying that the separation from the SO is just too much and that you need to be closer. They'll understand.

Plus, you might want to give your current program and situation a chance as well. Maybe you'll both like your current programs and will figure out a way to make it work. Looking a couple of weeks into PGY-1 seems like you matched in bad faith, plus I doubt any program director will want to "take a chance" on someone who is interested in switching a couple of weeks in. Your PD wouldn't be able to give an honest assessment even if they wanted to, without a little time working.

Anyway, just my two cents, and that's all the advice is worth, given my lack of direct knowledge. :)

I'm a little late to the thread, but there is some helpful information from the NRMP now available for this question (Just google "NRMP Waiver Request Form").

Depending on the circumstances, transferring specialties is a delicate, but very doable matter. I personally know individuals in various programs who have done it. When it comes to Psychiatry, there are some different rules that apply (see NRMP policies or google the aforementioned for more info). Furthermore, when it comes to switching specialties, there is now a hard deadline (Mid December) to request a NRMP waiver. IF you wish to transfer within your specialty, it is my understanding that things are a little bit easier - but not by too much.

When it comes to seeking a transfer secondary to having a SO in another residency program far away, your SO is your best asset to find information, brainstorm, network, for ways to help with successfully completing a transfer - especially if her hospital needs to fill spots in the specialty you want to transfer to. Though, be sure to read those NRMP policies close and not break any rules!

Keep us updated, there is not much documented real-life information/experiences in the internet about transfers. Therefore, if you are successful, share your story so that others in a similar boat may learn from it.

Good luck!

I'm a little late to the thread, but there is some helpful information from the NRMP now available for this question (Just google "NRMP Waiver Request Form").

Depending on the circumstances, transferring specialties is a delicate, but very doable matter. I personally know individuals in various programs who have done it. When it comes to Psychiatry, there are some different rules that apply (see NRMP policies or google the aforementioned for more info). Furthermore, when it comes to switching specialties, there is now a hard deadline (Mid December) to request a NRMP waiver. IF you wish to transfer within your specialty, it is my understanding that things are a little bit easier - but not by too much.

When it comes to seeking a transfer secondary to having a SO in another residency program far away, your SO is your best asset to find information, brainstorm, network, for ways to help with successfully completing a transfer - especially if her hospital needs to fill spots in the specialty you want to transfer to. Though, be sure to read those NRMP policies close and not break any rules!

Keep us updated, there is not much documented real-life information/experiences in the internet about transfers. Therefore, if you are successful, share your story so that others in a similar boat may learn from it.

Good luck!
Assuming we were back in July 2017, NRMP would not grant the waiver request as NRMP only grants such requests when some unforeseen change has occurred after the Rank list deadline. This does not appear to be the case here. Now being 6 months after July 1, the resident can just leave training and there would not be a Match violation (I am not advocating that a resident leave mid-year as there would not be any training credit given and subsequent programs would take not finishing the year as a red flag). I think the NRMP requirement is that an individual has to stay in a program for at least 60 (or maybe 30) days before leaving in order to not trigger a Match violation. The point that splik makes about informing the program and needing to get letters are the best way to proceed in such instances. Residencyswap does house information but not all programs post stuff there. Residents should contact programs to find additional slots.

Any update on what happened?
Anybody have any advice or resources to facilitate this process for others considering this option? I can't seem to find anything that lays out formally the steps required.

Last edited:
Any update on what happened?
Anybody have any advice or resources to facilitate this process for others considering this option? I can't seem to find anything that lays out formally the steps required.
going through this process myself. private message me

going through this process myself. private message me
Can i private message you as well? Curious how you’re going about it. I’ve had some family issues come up, that makes being far away from home rather difficult.