This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

velvetcoffee

Coffee
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am current student at Texas Christian University (TCU), but I am thinking of transferring to Vanderbilt University. However, I have a perfect GPA at TCU as a rising sophomore with research opportunities and others activities lined up. I also have connections with professors from freshman year who I will be working with next year. I still love Vanderbilt, and know the prestige means something concerning medical school admissions as well as advanced opportunities. But, I am a little concerned that I will basically only have 2 years there (due to Covid) to build relationships and even access these opportunities. Vanderbilt was my "dream school," but now I am not sure that it is of any benefit to truly leave TCU. Please share your advice and thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am current student at Texas Christian University (TCU), but I am thinking of transferring to Vanderbilt University. However, I have a perfect GPA at TCU as a rising sophomore with research opportunities and others activities lined up. I also have connections with professors from freshman year who I will be working with next year. I still love Vanderbilt, and know the prestige means something concerning medical school admissions as well as advanced opportunities. But, I am a little concerned that I will basically only have 2 years there (due to Covid) to build relationships and even access these opportunities. Vanderbilt was my "dream school," but now I am not sure that it is of any benefit to truly leave TCU. Please share your advice and thoughts on this.
You should attend where you will be happiest and perform your best. I'm much less familiar with TCU than Vandy, but I will say that, in my limited experience, the grass is always greener and prestige is almost always overrated. If you are happy and doing well at TCU, I think it would be a big mistake to start all over again because of something you've had in your head about Vandy from HS.

My opinion has nothing to do with COVID, and wouldn't change regardless. Assuming you haven't applied yet, don't bother. They had their chance when you were in HS. Their loss!!! Nothing that happens over two years as a junior transfer at Vandy is going to better position you for whatever you want to do in life than having a 4.0 anywhere else, with research opportunities, other activities, and connections with professors. TCU is nothing to sneeze at, but I'd say this about any four year school in the country. To me, it's a total no-brainer. Just let go of your HS dream. You're living in the real world now (not really, but almost! :)).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would interesting to see what the percentage of matriculants from " Non-elite undergraduate" schools there are in the top 30 medical schools as compared to the matriculant percentage at the rest of the medical schools.

Not sure if this data is available. Would not be surprised if there is a trend there.

Vanderbilt's stats for med school admissions are on a thread somewhere on SDN. Based on what I remember, the benefits seemed marginal. Id stay at TCU

Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt's stats for med school admissions are on a thread somewhere on SDN. Based on what I remember, the benefits seemed marginal. Id stay at TCU
As with any top school, the question about those stats is whether it is the school that is conferring any benefit at all, or whether the stats just reflect the reality that top schools have lots of top candidates. I am pretty sure it's the latter, and if Vandy's stats are better than TCU's , it's because it has more highly qualified candidates. This won't do anything for OP, who will still be OP whether applying from TCU or Vandy.

Reactions: 1 user
Just follow your heart on where you wanted to be, what's important is you are happy and determined to capture your dream.

Prestige in undergrad for medical school means almost nothing.

A 4.0 and a 528 means everything.

Stay at TCU (so long as you’re are happy and doing well - which you are). You have a strong support group, you know what’s going on, you know how to be successful.

Keep that 4.0, kill the MCAT, and go to Vandy for medical school.