Trying to decide whether a SMP or post bacc is best for my low sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjsv19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a senior graduating this semester and I'm planning to take a gap year (or two) to make myself more competitive. My plan is to apply to both MD and DO.

I haven't taken the MCAT but I am registered to take in in June. I've gotten okay scores in my first two practice exams.

Below are my academic and co-curricular stats. My biggest weakness is my GPA (particularly the science GPA). My shadowing and research experience is also not as high as it probably should be.

My question is: Should I pursue post-bacc work to retake a couple of Cs as well as take extra science classes, or should I apply for a special master's program offered by the medical school at my university? (the smp classes are taken with the first year med students).

I like the way that the SMP is set up but I've heard that it will not increase my gpa due to it being post grad work, whereas post bacc will apply toward my undergrad GPA. Is this true? I'm afraid of my undergrad science GPA hurting my chances at med school even if complete the master's program with a good GPA.

-Overall GPA 3.51
-Science GPA 3.18
-Clinical volunteer hours 600+
-Shadowing hours ~30 hours
-Limited research experience
-Currently holding a leadership position in my university's music program

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Grade replacement is specific to DO schools so that wouldn't help in your application process for MD schools.

Both SMP/post-bacc have their benefits - you'll have to take more courses to raise your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA since you'll have more credit hours, meanwhile if you pursued a SMP you'll have a post-graduate GPA. Note that both programs will look good if you exceed in your classes.

I'll be doing a SMP at UNTHSC this upcoming year because of the credit hours required to raise my sGPA and that the SMP is designed so that the students take ~75% of the same courses that medical students take in their first year of medical school, so doing well would show that you are equipped to handle that sort of rigor and also if you matriculate, it will provide you a little advantage in terms of previous knowledge of material.

Since you also mentioned that you were taking 1-2 gap years, I'd recommend increasing your shadowing hours and non-clinical volunteering, other than that, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Grade replacement is specific to DO schools so that wouldn't help in your application process for MD schools.

As of Jan 2017, DO schools have discontinued using grade replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take one gap year. Find part-time research work/volunteering. Take upper level science courses to help sGPA. Come back with your MCAT score and new sGPA so we can advise a school list.

Add more shadowing hours (including DO physicians) and concentrate on doing well in the MCAT. Your current GPA is competitive for many DO schools and if you score over 500 on the MCAT you would be competitive for some DO schools, especially the newer ones. You could take some science courses at a local college in the coming year to increase your sGPA. They do not need to be difficult courses but rather courses you believe you could receive an A in. You may have a chance for MD schools depending on your MCAT score and your state of residence.

If you can, finding part-time work even as a medical scribe would be great. It doesn't have to be research. I would say that research is the least of your worries now.

Study for the MCAT, do the best you can, do some science courses, and hit the ground running for next cycle.

Any particular reason you had a hard time with the sciences? Now is the time to figure that out.

SMPs tend to be higher risk because if you don't ace the one you are in it could remove you from the running for med schools entirely.

DIY post-baccs are nice because they are cheaper and can be ramped up over time based on what you know you can handle. For example, can start with 1 course per quarter, then if you succeed try 2, then possibly 3 (depending on your other workload).

I have worse academic stats than you and have chosen a DIY postbacc route for now. Some people think that an SMP would be better suited for me (3.1/3.0 c/s GPAs, 509 MCAT w/ 124 in chem/physics) because I won't ever be able to substantially raise my undergrad GPAs. Others have indicated that success in recent science coursework is the most important factor and a DIY postbacc can probably get me interviews.

Because you are fine with DO, you'll definitely be competitive (with MCAT success and some beefed up ECs) after more science courses. If you did well in an SMP and the MCAT, you would probably also stand a decent shot at MD schools, though that might take longer and would be more risky.

If I were you, I would check out the AACOM matriculant data published on their website. This will give you a good sense of your probability of matriculating into an osteopathic school with your current stats and a decent MCAT.

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm confused about how post bac classes work. Does it have to be a formal post-bac program or can it just be additional science classes taken without the goal of achieving another degree?

Also, do MD/DO schools just take the grades from all the sciences you took in order to calculate their own GPA? or do they simply look at your college transcript? Thanks

If you can, finding part-time work even as a medical scribe would be great. It doesn't have to be research. I would say that research is the least of your worries now.

Study for the MCAT, do the best you can, do some science courses, and hit the ground running for next cycle.

Any particular reason you had a hard time with the sciences? Now is the time to figure that out.

I'm actually in the process of applying to be a scribe so hopefully I should be hearing from ScribeAmerica soon. Also, I think the biggest reason was that I didn't know how to study properly and had a lot of things on my plate. Also I tend to just do things on my own instead of asking for help from professors or friends. That might have contributed toward my low sGPA

Also, I think the biggest reason was that I didn't know how to study properly and had a lot of things on my plate.

This is the main reason. Help from friends/professors help but if your study habits are bad it won't matter how much they attempt to help you.

What was your specific study process for sciences? Specifically O. Chem?