TUNCOM vs LUCOM vs WVSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radrandos5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on these schools? I found some threads with information but a lot of it is from years ago. If you were admitted to these schools, which would you choose to attend and why? Thank you for your input

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you want to practice and where you want to learn medicine.

TUNCOM, will give u greater access to practice on the west coast and is in a bigger city. School also has pretty good match lists and strong board scores.

WVSOM is more rural and I read that you have to do your clerkships in WV all of third year (?). Also the price I hear is pretty steep if you're an out of state.

Academically, I think WVSOM and TUNCOM will provide you with similar opportunities. It just depends on location/fit.

LUCOM, I know nothing about but I know it's a new school which is always risky.

Thanks for the reply. Which is considered more established, TUNCOM or WVSOM? I saw another thread comparing WVSOM and TUNCOM and the only reply seemed to really dislike TUNCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
wvsom has been around the 1970's and tun come has been around since 2004

Thanks for the replies. Why avoid LUCOM? I know it's new but by any metric it's looking like it will be a fantastic school.

What is the consensus on TUNCOM vs WVSOM? WVSOM is older but is the quality of education comparable to TUNCOM? It seems like WVSOM really focuses on rural primary care.

Thanks for the replies. Why avoid LUCOM? I know it's new but by any metric it's looking like it will be a fantastic school.

What is the consensus on TUNCOM vs WVSOM? WVSOM is older but is the quality of education comparable to TUNCOM? It seems like WVSOM really focuses on rural primary care.

TUNCOM and wvsom are similar academically, they will both get you where you need to be. However I think TUNCOM may be better if you plan to specialize.

Decide which location is best for you and have some idea what you want to go into

Are you going to get in state tuition at wvsom? That should be the defining factor; Otherwise location. And I agree with the others that LUCOM should not be in the discussion.

TUNCOM vs. WVSOM is the only major question - that choice should be based on location/fit in my opinion. Match lists, specializing, etc are all important but there is so much variability between classes, you can't really use that as a deciding factor. However, one may give you more opportunities to explore your interests than the other...thats something you can look up with their 3rd/4th year clerkships

As long as WVSOM and TUNCOM are similar academically, I guess it mostly comes down to cost and location, then? Does anyone have any thoughts on either location? I know TUNCOM is definitely cheaper. And why not LUCOM? I know it's new, but they seem to be doing an excellent job setting up their school

As long as WVSOM and TUNCOM are similar academically, I guess it mostly comes down to cost and location, then? Does anyone have any thoughts on either location? I know TUNCOM is definitely cheaper. And why not LUCOM? I know it's new, but they seem to be doing an excellent job setting up their school

Why attend a new school with no history and a relatively large class (160) when it can be avoided? Doesn't matter how nice their facilities are; you will be entering a school that has absolutely no history, no meaningful clinical rotations, and no strong hospital association with any residencies connected to it. Then theres the fact that you'll be a guinea pig for their curriculum until they get it right for future classes. Also, their college isn't well recognized to start with and has a dubious history tied with it (go ahead and wikipedia it if curious). Then there's whole religion association thing, but I won't go there.

If you have NO OTHER options and it is the only school you're accepted at, then great, at least you'll be a doctor. But if you get accepted to better recognized schools, then why make it harder on yourself?

Thanks for the reply. It seems like they have great rotations and hospital associations, though: http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=28252
And while I am hesitant about being a 'guinea pig', aren't all the other new schools (MUCOM, ACOM and CUSOM) doing great jobs with their first class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. It seems like they have great rotations and hospital associations, though: http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=28252
And while I am hesitant about being a 'guinea pig', aren't all the other new schools (MUCOM, ACOM and CUSOM) doing great jobs with their first class?

It is a risk because it's new and those rotations haven't actually been established yet. The hospital system they are associated with (Centra) is pretty small bed-wise (although the only other school I'm familiar with rotation wise is MSU, which I'm guessing is the DO school with the largest hospital associated with it). There is a lot of negativity on SDN about Liberty because their undergraduate program sticks to the fundamental beliefs the university was founded on. I personally think the narrow mindedness liberty is accused of is mirrored by its critics. But in reality any new school will be a risk.

That being said I got accepted at LUCOM, loved the area, the campus and I believe the staff and faculty are committed to making it a great program. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Liberty's inaugural class. Haters can keep hating..I'll be busy getting that DO.

Go where you see yourself fitting in best.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply. One thing I am wondering about is residency -- would one be more likely to obtain a residency of choice if he/she went to TUNCOM or WVSOM over LUCOM? Or is the only factor that really matters with residency applications the COMLEX/USMLE score? How much does the name of the school itself matter? I read somewhere that all DO schools are basically viewed the same by residency directors.

Thank you for the reply. One thing I am wondering about is residency -- would one be more likely to obtain a residency of choice if he/she went to TUNCOM or WVSOM over LUCOM? Or is the only factor that really matters with residency applications the COMLEX/USMLE score? How much does the name of the school itself matter? I read somewhere that all DO schools are basically viewed the same by residency directors.

I wouldn't say its that black and white. For the DO match, aka AOA, they are aware of the schools out there and on average, what kind of training and students to expect from there, but I remember reading on here how recognition of the program isn't a big deal compared to board scores. As for ACGME, besides programs near a DO school, most just see all DO students on equal footing. But once again, that is what I read on here and could be wrong.

Hopefully LUCOM would provide you a good education to do very well on the COMLEX and USMLE (if you chose to take it). Rock those boards and clinicals then you should be fine. However, we won't know what the true rotation sites are until 3rd year students can start chiming in. For instance, I know that LECOM has had some issues with their sites so sometimes what they put on their website or hope for doesn't turn out that way.

I had a friend who went to WVU and she said she was not prepared, clinically, from their hospital rotations. She is an anesthesiologist and has done well for herself, but she felt a little overwhelmed when she started her residency. It may have changed since she attended, maybe 5 years ago, but I believe they are small rural sites with a handful of specialities. Not trying to badmouth WVU, but I only judge through her experience. I don't know much about TUNCOM. I chose to go to LUCOM. They are putting a lot of effort into the school and have really established professors teaching there and leading the school. LGH is a good hospital and I have contacted the administration about the possibility of going to UVA for some clinical rotations, which they agreed would be a big possibility. UVA is a huge medical center about an hour away from LUCOM.
My best advice to you is really think about where you want to see yourself studying (location wise), look up the faculty that you are learning from, look at the clinical sites, and think about what will give you the best opportunity to do what you want to do in medicine.

Last edited:

Here's the thing, I have nothing against new do schools or even going to them. It's just that medical school is such a challenging and long journey that it's better to go to a school that has had a few graduating classes and data on pass rates. Medical school is medical school. We're all going to be doctors but the so much can differ by a school in terms of clinical exposure, curriculum, examinations, etc. An established school has an idea of how their methods pan out in terms of student success later. So while LUCOM is on its way to great things, you really don't want to be a practice student if you can avoid it.

FYI I am most likely going to WVSOM next year (have another interview coming up so we'll see though) I know someone who is a second year who said that wvsom changed part of its curriculum clinically and that frustrated some students who were the guinea pigs so do you see how changes even in an older established school can be troublesome for students? imagine how much harder things would be with an entirely new school.

I wish you the best of luck at WVSOM. I hope that it is a good fit for you and congratulations!

I was given an ii at WV and was impressed by the program. It is also very well established IMO as it is the oldest school on your list. However if you are out of state the tuition is a bit much.

I have heard good things about TUNCOM.

Liberty shouldn't even be a part of this conversation imo. Aside from the obvious social issues not having an older class to act as mentors is a big disadvantage as well as the lack of an alumni network. Also with new schools residency program directors will have no idea what to expect from LUCOM students and I wouldn't want to worry about one more thing during the match process. Basically, you should approach all new schools with great caution.

Reactions: 1 user
I was given an ii at WV and was impressed by the program. It is also very well established IMO as it is the oldest school on your list. However if you are out of state the tuition is a bit much.

Liberty shouldn't even be a part of this conversation imo. Aside from the obvious social issues not having an older class to act as mentors is a big disadvantage as well as the lack of an alumni network. Also with new schools residency program directors will have no idea what to expect from LUCOM students and I wouldn't want to worry about one more thing during the match process. Basically, you should approach all new schools with great caution.

I am attending LUCOM and I think you make valid points. On a sidenote, I think that LUCOM does belong as part of the equation if it is where you had an acceptance letter from. There are LUCOM students who chose LUCOM over established and well known schools, like PCOM and UNECOM. There's a factor you fail to realize. It's about where you feel you fit as and individual. If you get swept up too much into the "it's a better school" mentality and you aren't happy with the school... it's a waste. If any student should understand this, it would be the osteopathic student.
Also, I know program directors. I am friends with them. They don't really care where you are from or whether you are a DO, MD, MBBS, or foreign grad. Maybe the ivy league's do, but most residencies don't... and I've worked at very big trauma centers that are very well known. Yes, they like the board scores... but it isn't everything. I know people who have been rejected with extremely high board scores, but they were not a good character fit into the programs. These programs want normal acting and hard working people who can communicate to patients and staff. No residency wants a douchy resident who is extremely bright for 3-7 years... TRUST ME! I know people who had really low board scores, who were MD's, and failed STEP 1 (and retook)... and still got the very competitive residency at the medical center they wanted to be at. Residencies want real people... not just a number. That is useful info for when you apply.
One last thing touchpause13, congrats on your acceptance to DMU-COM. I wish you luck.

Reactions: 1 users

There is definitely something to be said about not having upperclassmen. But it teaches you very early some skills it takes most students multiple years to learn so I view things as a having sides to one coin. To LUCOM's defense in one regard, at least as far as AOA residencies go, they are part of the OPTI of VCOM and CUSOM, known as OMNEE, which has a wide variety of solid residency and (growing) fellowship options. There will be many more options in the next few years too.
I know many have high hopes for their dream residencies but as the crunch for seats gets worse there is something to be said about having "home court advantage" somewhere. Especially when they are good places to train

I am attending LUCOM and I think you make valid points. On a sidenote, I think that LUCOM does belong as part of the equation if it is where you had an acceptance letter from. There are LUCOM students who chose LUCOM over established and well known schools, like PCOM and UNECOM. There's a factor you fail to realize. It's about where you feel you fit as and individual. If you get swept up too much into the "it's a better school" mentality and you aren't happy with the school... it's a waste. If any student should understand this, it would be the osteopathic student.
Also, I know program directors. I am friends with them. They don't really care where you are from or whether you are a DO, MD, MBBS, or foreign grad. Maybe the ivy league's do, but most residencies don't... and I've worked at very big trauma centers that are very well known. Yes, they like the board scores... but it isn't everything. I know people who have been rejected with extremely high board scores, but they were not a good character fit into the programs. These programs want normal acting and hard working people who can communicate to patients and staff. No residency wants a douchy resident who is extremely bright for 3-7 years... TRUST ME! I know people who had really low board scores, who were MD's, and failed STEP 1 (and retook)... and still got the very competitive residency at the medical center they wanted to be at. Residencies want real people... not just a number. That is useful info for when you apply.
One last thing touchpause13, congrats on your acceptance to DMU-COM. I wish you luck.
Thanks for your well thought out response and congratulations on your acceptance. You are absolutely correct that fit is something that matters greatly when deciding which school to attend. Personally I could not see myself anywhere else than DMU and I hope you have the same feeling about LUCOM!

Also good points about program directors I must admit I am rather ignorant about that aspect and I appreciate your input