U of S Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The city of Miami itself is very international and bustling compared with Tampa. If you get a Florida State Park Guide (I'm sure they have a website) you will see that parks abound in South Florida as well.

Tampa hasn't solved it's traffic issue yet, which makes getting to the cool parks more difficult and I personally don't like the campus aesthetics in Tampa.

My friends who went to Miami really liked it there. It is a very personal decision - good luck.

I am very 'out doorsy' too. If deciding between the 2, I would take Miami.

zinjanthropus : My friend says the professors are credentialed and do good work but really lack good teaching skills. Some of their friends that came from our of state feel like they are losing more information than gaining. When the students learn, it is because they are teaching themselves. It is a common complaint at USF and I hope I am not stepping on toes by saying this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Shadow-

I'm basically going through the same thing as you regarding UM vs. USF. I would like to hear more about how the students are 'babied' by the USF faculty - any medical student, (much less married, 26 yo, medical students with graduate degrees), should not expect to be treated as anything but a professional. It would be a huge turn-off if there was a babyish atmosphere around the faculty.

If I had never lived in Tampa before, I would probably be leaning more towards USF. However, I grew up in Tampa and still return regularly but I'm not sure if I want to move back to a place where I have spent so much time. Having said that, I think there is plenty to do in terms of nightlife and other events...plus the city is very cheap. In addition, beaches, sports teams, weather, etc. are other huge attractions to the area.

I was very impressed by Miami's campus (you basically go to school in the hospital) and suite of research institutes, as well as the students and opportunities. Plus, the internet lectures sound like a nice way to cut class! However, I don't much about Miami but I did have fun while I was there. The main thing Miami has going against it for me is the cost of living and the high tuition.

Originally posted by shadow
My decision is coming down to UM vs. USF. I didn't much care for the atmosphere at UF med school (a bit childish, I thought) and I don't think I could handle Gainesville again, though it was a great place to be for undergrad.

I think FSU will end up being a good med school (the faculty members seem very dedicated), but I don't think I'm up for all the bumps in the road or for living in Tallahassee.

I am really torn between USF and Miami. I have friends at USF so I think I have a better feel for it than Miami. For me, the pros of USF are: tuition, a decent amount of early clinical training, a laid-back city. The cons are: lack of diversity, ugly facilities, and being "babied" by faculty (a common complaint). The pros of Miami are: lots of clinical experience from the very beginning (is this an accurate impression???), flexibility (classes online, faculty seem willing to accommodate whatever experiences the students want to have), Jackson--patient load, patient diversity, proximity to school, plenty of outreach experiences (rural FL, Keys, Haiti, etc.). The cons are: tuition and possibly the city.

I think the biggest unknown for me is the lifestyle of both Miami and Tampa. I'm a pretty laidback, outdoorsy person and I think Tampa might suit me better. If anyone reading this has spent time in Miami, I'd love to hear your opinion. Are there relaxed places to hang out in Miami? Are there natural areas, parks, etc. to get away to? Are there places for students to live other than Brickell and South Beach? Not high rises? On the other hand, I enjoy diversity, and my impression of Tampa is that it's not very diverse. And I'm not sure how much there is to do there, nightlife or anytime. Anyone from Tampa have a comment?

I plan to visit both places again before making my decision. I think it will probably come down to which place gives me a better feeling.

Anyone else have the same questions/concerns?

My decision is coming down to UM vs. USF. I didn't much care for the atmosphere at UF med school (a bit childish, I thought) and I don't think I could handle Gainesville again, though it was a great place to be for undergrad.

I think FSU will end up being a good med school (the faculty members seem very dedicated), but I don't think I'm up for all the bumps in the road or for living in Tallahassee.

I am really torn between USF and Miami. I have friends at USF so I think I have a better feel for it than Miami. For me, the pros of USF are: tuition, a decent amount of early clinical training, a laid-back city. The cons are: lack of diversity, ugly facilities, and being "babied" by faculty (a common complaint). The pros of Miami are: lots of clinical experience from the very beginning (is this an accurate impression???), flexibility (classes online, faculty seem willing to accommodate whatever experiences the students want to have), Jackson--patient load, patient diversity, proximity to school, plenty of outreach experiences (rural FL, Keys, Haiti, etc.). The cons are: tuition and possibly the city.

I think the biggest unknown for me is the lifestyle of both Miami and Tampa. I'm a pretty laidback, outdoorsy person and I think Tampa might suit me better. If anyone reading this has spent time in Miami, I'd love to hear your opinion. Are there relaxed places to hang out in Miami? Are there natural areas, parks, etc. to get away to? Are there places for students to live other than Brickell and South Beach? Not high rises? On the other hand, I enjoy diversity, and my impression of Tampa is that it's not very diverse. And I'm not sure how much there is to do there, nightlife or anytime. Anyone from Tampa have a comment?

I plan to visit both places again before making my decision. I think it will probably come down to which place gives me a better feeling.

What do you mean when you say UF's med school is childish?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by maswe12
What do you mean when you say UF's med school is childish?

When I visited UF, I found most of the students kind of immature. They were somewhat rambunctious compared with the students I met at other schools. And, they were astonished that I was SO OLD! 25!! (I know this because they told me.) When conversations came up about getting clinical experience, the students I spoke with seemed to be of the opinion that an actor patient isn't different from a real patient. I did meet a couple of students who I thought were great, but all in all I felt more like I was visiting a high school than a med school.

On a positive note, I was very impressed by the faculty. They seem very genuine and dedicated to education. And the students seem very happy there.

z, i pm-ed you.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
Hi Shadow-

I'm basically going through the same thing as you regarding UM vs. USF. I would like to hear more about how the students are 'babied' by the USF faculty - any medical student, (much less married, 26 yo, medical students with graduate degrees), should not expect to be treated as anything but a professional. It would be a huge turn-off if there was a babyish atmosphere around the faculty.

If I had never lived in Tampa before, I would probably be leaning more towards USF. However, I grew up in Tampa and still return regularly but I'm not sure if I want to move back to a place where I have spent so much time. Having said that, I think there is plenty to do in terms of nightlife and other events...plus the city is very cheap. In addition, beaches, sports teams, weather, etc. are other huge attractions to the area.

I was very impressed by Miami's campus (you basically go to school in the hospital) and suite of research institutes, as well as the students and opportunities. Plus, the internet lectures sound like a nice way to cut class! However, I don't much about Miami but I did have fun while I was there. The main thing Miami has going against it for me is the cost of living and the high tuition.

Miami has some opportunities for outdoorsy activities (mainly watersports). You can go windsurfing on Key Biscayne, visit Bill Baggs park, go snorkeling in the keys, etc...

If you're more into hunting though, USF is better located.

Jackson Memorial is a great hospital with a lot of clinical opportunities, but most of the patients there don't speak any English. English speaking patients head for the University of Miami Clinic or any of the private hospitals in the city.

As far as places to live, the most popular locations for med students are Brickell Ave. and South Miami Beach. If you're looking for a more laid back atmosphere and have some cash, try finding a place to rent in Coral Gables.

There are also tons of apartments for rent around Sunset drive--these are in a safe area and cost less than the Gables or Brickell.

I've spent my whole life in Miami, and it's time for a change. I never really felt like I fit in here.

That's just my two cents though.

with all this conversation, is anyone fairly set on going to usf? i don't wanna start one of those "usf class of 2008" threads because while i'm leaning towards usf, i'm not positive yet. but it still might be nice to get a list going of potential future classmates.

with all this conversation, is anyone fairly set on going to usf? i don't wanna start one of those "usf class of 2008" threads because while i'm leaning towards usf, i'm not positive yet. but it still might be nice to get a list going of potential future classmates.

umm... i heard that the moffitt cancer center (recently?) separated itself from usf. also heard a rumor that usf is in danger of losing a lot of its funding and accreditation. anyone know whether this is true? a ph.d. and several m.d.s who work with my husband told him that they would choose almost any u.s. school over usf. it's too bad too, because usf is close to the top of my husband's list and their admissions staff is so great.

Originally posted by futuredrswife
umm... i heard that the moffitt cancer center (recently?) separated itself from usf. also heard a rumor that usf is in danger of losing a lot of its funding and accreditation. anyone know whether this is true?
From who or from where did you hear that from? I was positively impressed with a recent USF interview I had, and I didn't get an impression of them losing accreditation or Moffitt separating from USF.

We toured Moffit, actually, and it highly impressed me. If the tour guide wasn't so soft spoken I could've actually heard something she said, but I could read up more about Moffitt later. Actually if I recall correctly, Moffit is set to receive more research funding from NIH in the future.

Originally posted by mlw03
If all goes well with USF and I get an acceptance from that interview (God willing) then that's where I'll be attending this fall.

drpharoah, i agree with you that the school did seem like a great place when my husband interviewed. he said he thought he could be very happy there. i just think that an interview isn't what to base your decision on - reputation matters a lot, and i was just worried when i heard knowledgeable people talking as though usf's reputation in academia isn't that great.

that said, i still like usf a lot, and it's in my husband's top 3 choices.

about the cancer center, i don't think they're in any danger of losing funding. i meant the school, which sounds like it's less affiliated with the cancer center than it used to be. don't take my word for it, though. i'm sure a little research can either confirm or dispel the rumor. i certainly wouldn't want anyone to make a decision without looking into it further. i was hoping someone could clear it up for me.

Originally posted by drlexygoat
A note on FSU...

I think they're REALLY hurting this year. They've got a few things working against them, in my opinion. First, they start in MAY, which can prohbit students from attending if they need summer classes. Secondly, they require biochem 2! What's up with that? That's pretty much unheard of right now at most medical schools. Lastly, they're still working on their final accredidation, I believe. I'm sure they'll get it, eventually, though.

I actually turned down my interview at FSU just because I was a little squeamish at attending such a new school.

I've got an invite at USF soon (any pearls of wisdom, anyone?) . I've got an accepatnce to UM and I know it'll be hard to decide if I get into USF. I've heard everyone's getting waitlisted at USF at this point anyway, though.

This is a good discussion on this thread- keep it up.

No, USF is still accepting students; The applicant pool has been weak this year, as opposed to last year, which was all star. This year only 4/5 of the class is full right now because most people interviewing don't have the stats/interviewing skills high enough to land them a high "outright acceptance" score. It must go in trends, because the class of 2007 at USF is so gunner and all star that someone in the middle of it's class would no doubt be top 10 in any other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by MEDicated
ok.....not sure why i find myself defending USF (maybe it's a sign of where i should go), but i just wanted to list some #'s

1) According to the National Science Foundation, USF ranks 29th in the country in "medical research and development expenditures" in the most recent study: UF = 41, Miami = 44.
so to say that miami is 3 times as strong in research is far-fetched. although im still puzzled how USF is ahead of UF....so that study is questionable.

2) Admissions; USF = Avg MCAT = 30.1, GPA = 3.70 1750 applicants, 100 seats.

Miami = Avg MCAT = 29.2, GPA = 3.60, 2,100 applicants, 148 seats.

Ultimately, i think a lot of these "rankings" and "studies" are very subjective. they try to be objective and make it all mathematical, but why denote a certain area a certain percentage of the rank. As much as we look at US News for rankings, i think it's kinda BS.
USF and miami could be equivalent, but i don't believe miami is better than south florida.

This is true; USF ranks highest in the state of florida as far as funding goes. Our MCAT and GPA is higher as well. I wonder why we arent ranked higher than UF or UM; I chalk it up to sports, honestly. In addition, we have Moffitt, which is higher ranked than any other institution at UF or UM; For cancer, it is top 5.

Originally posted by MedNole
Just to clear up some stuff...
FSU's new building will be complete this Fall, so there is no need to worry about being in the old facilities. The new $63 million biomedical sciences building will be the nicest facility in the state for 1st and 2nd year students.
Also, our 3rd and 4th year rotations are in your choice of Pensacola, Orlando, Tallahassee, Sarasota, and by the time you guys get here, Jacksonville and Ft. Myers will be up and running. So, there is definitely a lot of choices with where you can spend your last two years of med school.
FSU has the highest level of accredidation that a new medical school can receive, and we will (undoubtedly) receive full accredidation next year when we are first eligible for it.
Let me give you a little advice, from someone who was recently in you guys' shoes. Make sure your choice of medical school is based on the right reason. While reputation is an important thing to consider, you also need to choose a place and situation that fits you best. Medical school is much more than going to classes and graduating....it's living your life for the next four years. I won't go into all the reasons, but I (and many of my classmates) chose FSU over the other "prestigious" in state schools, and I guarantee that not a single one of us regret it. We have much smaller classes, where students aren't competitive, and there is a "family feeling" between students, faculty, and admin. I love this place and I'm so glad I ended up here. Plus the girls are hotter than anywhere else I've ever been.
(All this coming from a lifetime gator who did his undergrad at UF and still bleeds orange and blue).
Also, reputation among pre-meds is not what determines a school's worth or prestige. If you know someone who can tell you the average USMLE scores from the state school's this past year (including FSU), you might be very surprised.

FSU's biggest problem is that it's 3rd and 4th year rotations are NOT in academic settings, but primarily in doctor's offices. This coming from a friend of mine who was approached to "teach internal medicine for 3rd years" while a private practice physician in podunk, FL. He told me to avoid FSU med like the plague.

Originally posted by USFOptho
This is true; USF ranks highest in the state of florida as far as funding goes. Our MCAT and GPA is higher as well. I wonder why we arent ranked higher than UF or UM; I chalk it up to sports, honestly. In addition, we have Moffitt, which is higher ranked than any other institution at UF or UM; For cancer, it is top 5.

From what I remember, the Eye Institute (I don't remember the name off-hand) at UM is second in the country.

Originally posted by sabrinafair84
I'm sorry if my last post seemed troll-like. :( I shouldn't have dissed on FSU like that at all. I guess it's that Gator spirit getting to me (who knows where it came from?).

I would like to say that what my friend at USF said is absolutely true. Of course that was her opinion only and we didn't take a poll of the entire class or anything when I was there. I'm sure there are many people who love being at USF and picked it over UF. I know someone who did that because he liked the school and city better. Ditto with FSU. I guess my friend's first choice was UF however, and she was disappointed when she didn't get in.

Tampa is a good city, much better than Gainesville I think. There are a lot more things to do: better restaurants, better clubs, etc. Some of the roads are scary to me though because there's a lot of construction. Gainesville is a very small city with outrageous traffic problems because there are only 4 main roads. There isn't much to do here, but there are some people who like the atmosphere. Miami is the biggest of these cities and is pretty nice and lively. People there drive pretty crazy though, so watch out! I don't much like it, but then I've only been there once so I'm not an expert. I'm from Tallahassee and it is pretty small. It's a college town like Gainesville, but since it's also the capitol there's some non-college activity going on.

Your friend is nutso! This is hardly the truth. The real truth is that most people at USF interviewed at places like Mayo, Harvard, Hopkins, Pritzker, and would rather be there than USF! Many people got dual UF/USF or USF/UM acceptances, and picked USF.

A side note: In the class of 2007, 12 people had onsite interviews at the Mayo Medical School, and if it had not been for their admissions debacle last year (No one giving up an acceptance) I wager that most of the people would not be in that class.

Originally posted by jedirampage
From what I remember, the Eye Institute (I don't remember the name off-hand) at UM is second in the country.

Good point; Bascom Palmer is actually #1.

I would wager that USF has far more clinical experience early on that does UM; The physical diagnosis and longitudinal clinical experience blocks allow students to treat patients from very early on; This includes some in surgery rotations that have sutured aortas, harvested saphenous veins for bypasses, and assisting in other surgeries.

I wouldn't say that the faculty baby us; Not sure where you got that impression from.

As for nightlife, it's great.

Originally posted by futuredrswife
umm... i heard that the moffitt cancer center (recently?) separated itself from usf. also heard a rumor that usf is in danger of losing a lot of its funding and accreditation. anyone know whether this is true? a ph.d. and several m.d.s who work with my husband told him that they would choose almost any u.s. school over usf. it's too bad too, because usf is close to the top of my husband's list and their admissions staff is so great.

a blatant lie; USF's funding is increasing every year, and moffitt is still with us. Something tells me you are a waitlisted borderline candidate that wants to increase your chances of getting in; Nice try!

I think USF has great great great clinical experiences in its favor, however, I do not believe that its research is as up there as top tier research schools, with the exception of Moffitt.

I think the fact that they have a greater variety in their clinical sites works in its favor, such as that of Tampa General Hospital, All Children's HOspital, James A haley VA, Baypines Va, Town and Country Hospital, USF medical clinic, the only Shriner's in Florida, Moffitt Cancer center, St. Joe's Hospital, Bayfront Care center, etc. etc. etc. works towards the goal of producing proper clinical phsyicians.

In their favor, they also have 92% USMLE passing rate with most of their students getting into good residency programs.

The other pro is that they have a very diverse group of students from all wakes of life including older more experienced students.

Some of the people I have known at USF medical school have gotten residency positions in places such as Mayo clinic Hospitals in Houston affiliated with Baylor.

I tend to like UM alot though cuz I like Jackson Hospital and the city and the fact that they have a bigger epilepsy research and residency program than USF tends to have.

USFOptho, it's obvious you love your school and you think it's the best in the state. Your comments are somewhat abrasive though i want to set you straight on one thing. you comment that USF has higher stats than all schools in the state...not true. UF last year had MCAT = 31.8 and your admissions at USF told us it was 29.2. im also confident the GPA at UF is higher. i also don't believe that just b/c the class was full last year at this time and not this year means that your class was all-star, but it means that the admissions committee is purposely making it tougher to gain an outright acceptance in order to give people whom interview later in the season an equal opportunity. but if you want to keep believing you're as good as it gets....go on being cocky.

MEDicated-
I believe USFOptho was just trying to show some school spirit - not trying to be cocky. I also believe that the mean MCAT score is a bit over 30 for USF

In addition, I have been digging around on the internet in the Tampa Tribune, Oracle, St. Pete Times, and other places and the only "trouble" I found with USF is related to the dean resigning - I posted the article below - its an Associated Press article.

Medical school dean asked to resign

Ex-Nevada official at odds in Florida

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Robert Daugherty
Sought political contributions from staff

TAMPA, Fla. -- Robert Daugherty, who stepped down as dean of the University of Nevada School of Medicine five years ago, has been asked to resign as dean of the medical school at the University of South Florida.

USF President Judy Genshaft admonished Daugherty earlier this month for asking his staff to contribute to the U.S. Senate campaign of Florida House Speaker Johnnie Byrd.

She told him during a 20-minute meeting in her office last week that she will search for a new dean.

Daugherty, who makes $448,000 a year and has held the post for three years, said he and Genshaft had recently agreed to postpone a search for a successor until next year.

"I came here to help USF," said Daugherty. "I was not here for the long haul. ... I've done everything there is to do."

In recent weeks, Daugherty asked 25 of his top-ranking employees, both face to face and by phone, for up to $2,000 contributions for the Byrd campaign. About a dozen gave Daugherty checks that he kept locked in his secretary's desk.

Genshaft said Daugherty also made comments about contributing to Byrd at a meeting last week of managers of the USF Physicians Group, an incorporated group of doctors from the USF medical school who all are employees of Daugherty.

The money was to be given to Byrd during a presentation last Tuesday on a proposed USF medical building that needs legislative funding, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

Byrd canceled his trip, which he said was for a fund-raising event, when he received an anonymous e-mail complaining that Daugherty was raising money for him.

Byrd said he didn't ask Daugherty to raise money for him and turned the matter over to Tampa lawyer Steve Burton, a friend and USF board of trustees member.

Daugherty, 69, served as medical school dean in Reno from 1981 to 1998, when he stepped down amid complaints about his management style. But he also took Nevada's medical school from obscurity to national prominence.

When he joined the school, its budget was $9.9 million. When he left, it was receiving nearly that much -- $7.6 million -- in sponsored research grants.

The school was threatened with closure by the Legislature when he took the helm and had about 50 faculty members in Reno and two in Las Vegas.

When he stepped down, it had 190 faculty in Reno, 60 in Las Vegas and a budget of $75 million.

Medicated,

I agree that the stats are probably higher at UF by a bit. But anyhow, I think it all depends on what one is looking for and what they want to do.

I believe all the Florida schools have their ups and their downs. for instance, UF's cons are that it is located in such a small city with not much to do and that it doesn't have the variety of Facilities that USF has access too.

On the bright side, their hospital is owned by UF and UF has a top notch research ranking in USNews because many of their research programs are just that----top notch.

USFophto,

Don't know whether you are a student or resident, however, I tend to think that USF may be a decent school. However, I don't think it is absolutely number one in the state.

To all,

That being said, I believe that it isn't sooooo much what medical school you go to as to where you do your residency.

Originally posted by jedirampage

I beleive it's the Bascom (sp?) Institute. You're absolutely right about it being TOP inthe nation. That place is AMAZING.

A few things I liked about UM (just thought I'd throw in my opinion).... I was mesmerized by Jackson Memorial. The sheer size and number of patients that place services is enough to guarantee you'll see some pretty crazy stuff by the time you finish your 4th year. I talked to a few 2nd yr students who had delivered babies already, learned suturing, etc. They also had the chance to do preceptors in doctor's offices to get a different feel for medicine.

I am REALLY excited about UM's curriculum. Granted, I liked the appraoch USF has as well, but UM's makes a little more sense in my mind. They have the "systems-based" or "organ-based" approach. From what I understand, you focus on one organ/ssytem at a time, learning everything there is to know about it before you move on to another system. I like the idea of compartmentalizing it like that, but some may not agree with me.

Both campuses (USF and UM) didn't do much to impress me, to be honest, though. Both were on the run-down side. Ugly furniture, desks, etc. I'd say UM has a slight leg up on USF becuase of their wireless technology and the fact that ALL lectures are streamed live and on the web for download. Pretty cool stuff, in my opinion.

anyway, just my thoughts...

I guess USFoptho was misinformed so FYI for those of us who interviewed at USF this year and don't want to think of ourselves as second class applicants:

Mr. Larkin told me that the admissions committee is using a new mnemonic this year with much higher outright admissions standards than in years past and that this is why the class is filling so slowly, so no need to feel inadequate ;)

And in my USF/UM/UF decision I am leaning toward USF primarily because I think I can get a quality education comporable to the other state schools in the city I think I'd enjoy most which happens to be closest to home.

One thing I'm worried about is all my classmates being from FL state schools, I would like some more diversity in background than that. Any other undergraduate out-of-staters thinking about USF?

davika, im thinking long and hard about USF......i did my undergrad in Virginia........how about you?

a blatant lie; USF's funding is increasing every year, and moffitt is still with us. Something tells me you are a waitlisted borderline candidate that wants to increase your chances of getting in; Nice try!
Somebody needs to relax. I'm tempted to say more, since I know this "waitlisted borderline candidate", but I will bite my tongue instead.

Originally posted by evines
Somebody needs to relax. I'm tempted to say more, since I know this "waitlisted borderline candidate", but I will bite my tongue instead.

No reason to spread hate; Just trying to squash blatant falsehoods about my school.

Originally posted by davika0
I guess USFoptho was misinformed so FYI for those of us who interviewed at USF this year and don't want to think of ourselves as second class applicants:

Mr. Larkin told me that the admissions committee is using a new mnemonic this year with much higher outright admissions standards than in years past and that this is why the class is filling so slowly, so no need to feel inadequate ;)

And in my USF/UM/UF decision I am leaning toward USF primarily because I think I can get a quality education comporable to the other state schools in the city I think I'd enjoy most which happens to be closest to home.

One thing I'm worried about is all my classmates being from FL state schools, I would like some more diversity in background than that. Any other undergraduate out-of-staters thinking about USF?

Actually I'm not misinformed, and I never said anyone was 2nd class by any stretch of the imagination.

What's the general concensus on USF's pre-matric program? Does anyone know a student who has had a good experience with it?

Does anyone have any idea how full the class is at this point? I interviewed last Friday (the 12th) and Mr. Larkin said spots were still open at that point. Maybe someone who interviewed this past Monday hear something more current?

On March 8th Larkin said there were about 20 spots left. He said they expected to fill 5 or 6 of them with our interview day.

Originally posted by drlexygoat
What's the general concensus on USF's pre-matric program? Does anyone know a student who has had a good experience with it?

Prematric students do everything in gross anatomy (except head and neck), and I believe they do some biochem. A good experience, for sure.

In regards to how filled the USF COLLEGE OF MED CLASS of 2008 is:

There are currently 97 students picked for sure, and there are a total of 115 spots to fill.

They have however, waitlisted a few thus far.

In June they will start letting people on the higher end of the waiting list know.

This year the class has been unusually slow in filling up.

All of this information above is courtesy of Dr. Stephen Specter PhD Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions at USF COM present to the premed AMSA chapter at USF on Wednesday March 17th 2004

So in June the people on the HIGHER END of the list will know?!

What about those near the middle (like me)?

What does that leave for April and May? Just a bunch of WAITING?!
:scared: :scared:

For what it's worth...

I was told that I was at the high end of the waitlist and have a good chance of getting in but probably won't hear until late april early may.

Maybe Dr. Specter was being conservative.. maybe I was misinformed.

Either way, I'd enjoy hearing some more constructive debate in regards to choosing USF or Miami. "Reputation" and social scene talk aside, would it be fair to say that Miami has an edge as far as research opportunities and Jackson Memorial > TGH as far as a teaching hospital.

Obviously tuition is nicer, but where else do any of you feel there are clear-cut educational advantages? First 2 years? Curriculum?

I think you are misinformed about the whole waitlist thing because from what Dr. Specter told us, there is a specific date in June when all people whom have been accepted to medical schools have to make a decision on which medical school they are going to if they have been accepted to multiple schools.

Once that date passes, they can start going down the waitlist to determine the rest of their class.

Also, today at the AMSA convention in KC Mo. a good acquaintance told me she was waitlisted at USF and finds out in June. So this confirms my belief that June is the date for waitlisted people.

They have not yet finished interviewing candidates however, cuz my friend had her interview just last Friday. So that also is another reason why they are waiting to let waitlisted people know whether they are in or not.

The USF COM has been very selective in what they are looking for, and they don't just go with numbers though numbers are important.

One person was rejected whom had a 40 MCAT and 4.0 GPA because he didn't volunteer or do research or do clinical etc.

USF reps have always told me research is the last of the things they like, and clinical hours of some sort or another are a requirement to get into their school.

Also they like some sort of form of leadership from their medical student candidates.

date when you can only hold one accept is may 15th.....so waitlist movement begins cranking between then and june 1st as a result of people narrowing down their lists and the following domino effect

Mr. Larkin informed me that there will be a small amount of waitlist movement before that May 15th date. He said they are encouraging people to drop multiple acceptances before that deadline to be fair to others. So, if you're sitting near the top of the list, you could get a call before mid-may.

Anyone else have news?

Originally posted by maswe12
All Florida med schools are relatively young (none more than 60 yrs old). And probably all are "up and coming" on the national scene. That being said, USF certainly has the weakest name recognition of the three. I didnt know it was a good school until after I applied to schools. Not having a good sports team has a small effect, but USF doesnt have the big name hospital (i.e. Shands or Jackson) or a big institution (UF, UM to a lesser degree) behind it. That being said, the name recognition of a med school isnt going to change the education you get there---and from what I hear USF offers a great medical education. I think UF attracts most of the top FL applicants, but I cant see how anyone would turn down USF in favor of UM. Its cheaper, your patients speak english, and you still get the urban clinical training. I wasnt all that impressed with Miami when I was there. The clinical experience seemed great but some of the students seemed flaky. Also I heard more about what they do at night in Miami than what the school offered. Maybe I just had a bad tourguide--but after my interview I was under the impression that UF was in a totally different league than UM. I think USF is too--I wish I would have applied there.

I actually asked about USF's reputation during my interview there. I interviewed with Dr. Ledford, the head of the admissions comittee, and when he asked if I had any questions I asked him how USF's lack of national recognition affects USF med students after leaving USF. He basically said what maswe12 said: that virtually anywhere you go you will get a great education...what you put into your education is what you will get out of it. The biggest difference, he said, was in the faculty. The 1st tier of faculty at USF is more or less on par with the best in the country. But the "quality" drops off more substantially as you look at the 2nd, 3rd, etc tiers in contrast to, say, Harvard because Harvard is a much more competitive school. To sum this up, you're going to end up getting a great education at UF, USF, UM, or pretty much anywhere you go if you work hard.

I would like to add something to this post.

I was recently informed by Mr. Larkin at yet another meeting for AMSA, that the matchlist showed that residents got into top name schools like Harvard, yale, UCSF, Mayo, and Vanderbuilt.

So it is possible to come out of a school like USF or Finch, and get into a more recognized residency.

Originally posted by mlw03
this is not meant to start a riot, but what exactly does this mean?

I think this means that Finch at least has a much more prestigious reputation than USF.

i wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything...just apples vs. organges..

USF is a state university attached to a large research/education institute..finch is a private medical school....USF has a greater overall reputation and USF and Finch are simply different.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
i wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything...just apples vs. organges..

USF is a state university attached to a large research/education institute..finch is a private medical school....USF has a greater overall reputation and USF and Finch are simply different.

I'm not sure USF has much of a reputation at all outside the state of florida. I'm not saying Finch has a great rep either, but I really wouldn't insinuate USF is better than Finch because of the rep. factor.

didn't say better...just different..i.e. i think people think of academic public institutions in a different way then people think of private med schools (that are only med schools), such as finch

okay, i think this is going to go back and forth if we don't retire it now...i was simply saying that finch and usf are different and not the best schools to use for a pairwise comparison....i would, instead pick another state university with a history of producing physicians for that state.

When one says that A is in a different league than B, it is generally meant to imply that A is of a much higher caliber than B. I guess I just misunderstood your comment or you just misunderstood that expression...but I see it's not what you mean.