UC Applicants: Post updates here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok, well I *am* naive - what is 'sticky green'??

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by the boy wonder
ok, well I *am* naive - what is 'sticky green'??

mary juwana

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
mary juwana

ok, thanks :)

I thought it might be but I've never heard of 'sticky green' b4. As I had no idea I assumed it was either drugs or sports...

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy there amateur...What am I missing out on? Stockton? Vacaville? Oaktown? Modesto? Come on man...My idea of a good time isn't drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon, wearing Wrangler overalls, and going cow-tipping on Friday nights. I am far from naive about my own state, as I know what it's like up north...That's why I choose to be down here kid! Obviously you must be in agreement, since you chose UC Santa Barbara over Cal State Boondocks... ;)

Just so you know..."Land of the sticky green and bad traffic" is a quote from Chronic 2001, beautifully engineered by the good Dr. Dre himself...

Ok...can you guys take this cannabinoid/norcal vs socal pissing contest elsewhere?

Yes, Mr. 909...we can. Apologies for taking this thread in the wrong direction...

Originally posted by The Chronic MD
Easy there amateur...What am I missing out on? Stockton? Vacaville? Oaktown? Modesto?

you're missing out on a lot! mendocino, napa, santa cruz, monterey, carmel, big sur, marin, mt. shasta, tahoe, and the list goes on and on.... there are so many great places in the northern part of the state.

sorry, back to the uc discussion. just had to stand up for norcal (even though i am originally from central/socal).

So much hostility towards Northern Californians.

I feel sorry for you that you are so insecure about your smog infested, bad traffic, fake people, part of the state, that you have to insult my part of the state.

I never knew there was a rivalry until I came to UCSB. If I had known, I would have went to Davis, where I belong.

Trust me, I didn't "choose" UCSB because its in the south. I chose it so that I can major in Pharmacology (which I'm no longer a major, go figure).

When I'm done with my undergrad in June, I'm going back to NorCal, and hopefully away from hostile Southern Californians that make it their personal mission to talk s*it about my home every chance they get.

"So much hostility towards Northern Californians." :p

"I feel sorry for you that you are so insecure about your smog infested, bad traffic, fake people, part of the state, that you have to insult my part of the state." :rolleyes:

"I never knew there was a rivalry until I came to UCSB. If I had known, I would have went to Davis, where I belong." :sleep:

"Trust me, I didn't "choose" UCSB because its in the south. I chose it so that I can major in Pharmacology (which I'm no longer a major, go figure)." :confused:

"When I'm done with my undergrad in June, I'm going back to NorCal, and hopefully away from hostile Southern Californians that make it their personal mission to talk s*it about my home every chance they get." :clap:

P.S. You need to take it easy, for real. I could care less where you come from...I just hope you make it back safely, and QUICKLY. :laugh:

Just don't expect to insult Northern California and not get a response.

I said NOTHING until you started talking your s*it.

Now that thats said, back to the topic at hand.

I expected to get a response, but I figured the response I would get would be good...not one that sounded like it came from a whining 6 year old beeyatch.

"Now that thats said, back to the topic at hand."

How am I whining?

I'm just telling you what I feel about what you wrote.

I seriously hope you get to go somewhere besides SoCal for med school, so that you can open your eyes to the world outside of LA.

If anyone's the beeyotch, its you, coming in here talking your obligatory s*it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Outside of LA? Have you ever left CA at all? I have spent the last 6 years outside of CA and I know what it's like...You're the one who needs to pop the bubble...And as for talking my "obligatory s**t", I only do so to get a laugh or two out of those people who have their panties in such a bundle over this whole application process (i.e. UCSBPre-Med1). Calm down...Don't you have homework to do?

Don't waste your energy, UCSB. Just go to the top of your User CP & add the tool to your ignore list. I've done it already & love it!

Thanks, Nefertari. Did you get my PM?

Yay! I'm glad people there are people out there to stick up for Nor-Cal! I'm from Modesto (which, I must admit, has many cows just outside the city, but hey, George Lucas grew up here too) and I get tons of crap from those from So-Cal.....and I go to school in Northern Cali (Berkeley) ! I love my friends from LA, but many of them have no clue about anything north of Bakersfield except for SF. To all those So-Cal folks, get out and look around and consider leaving Lala land for school and experience something new and a little less plastic. ;-)

BTW- I have never been cow-tipping in my life:laugh:

People really live north of Bakersfield? :rolleyes:

hi everyone,

ok i know ur supposed to use the AMCAS for applying to med schools. do the UC's participate in AMCAS or do they have their own thing?

also, when (time period) do i apply? like i want to go to med school right after college. i will take my MCAT in april 2004...then..when do i apply? Thanks!

Originally posted by SaraMac13
Yay! I'm glad people there are people out there to stick up for Nor-Cal! I'm from Modesto (which, I must admit, has many cows just outside the city, but hey, George Lucas grew up here too) and I get tons of crap from those from So-Cal.....and I go to school in Northern Cali (Berkeley) ! I love my friends from LA, but many of them have no clue about anything north of Bakersfield except for SF. To all those So-Cal folks, get out and look around and consider leaving Lala land for school and experience something new and a little less plastic. ;-)

BTW- I have never been cow-tipping in my life:laugh:

COOL MODESTO!
Im from modesto....well, im actually from san jose but we moved to modesto about 2 years ago. PM me.

ok..modesto where i live...mow-town. Im sorry but all u see is cows, dairy farms, cows, and the smell of cow Manure...nasty. the peak hours of the smell are like at night.

the biggest building in the whole damn city is double tree HOTEL!

ok...san jose. there is no other city like it. i love it. the buildings, the city vibe. there are MANY buildings. No cows, or the smell of their waste. hahah. i miss it. san jose is the BEST!

I found a suspiciously thin envelope from UCLA today (they've had my AMCAS since the end of July and I haven't heard a word from them) and immediately assumed it was a rejection letter--but it turned out to be an invitation for a secondary!!!!!!! Woo-hoo!!!!!

Silver eyes: in answer to your questions about the UC's--yes, they do participate in AMCAS but they also have a specific UC application that needs to be filled out pre-secondary. You can get the UC application from most of the UC med school websites. After you take your April 2004 MCAT, you can start working on your AMCAS in June. It's always good to start early because the personal statement takes a very long time to write and edit (you're limited to one page, somewhere in the neighborhood of about 5000 characters or something like that) You can actually start requesting school transcripts to be sent to AMCAS in March if you want. Hope this info is helpful.

oh yeah, arginine! you are my hero :)
i'm still waiting for that la secondary :rolleyes:

Thanks, Lola! This whole UC application process is giving me a nervous breakdown. If we can survive this, med school should be a piece of cake in comparison...

Got my UCSF rejection today. :mad: My chances of getting into a UC now is close to nil.

UC Davis: Rejection post-secondary
UCSF: Rejection Post-Secondary
UCI: Hold Post-Secondary
UCSD: Hold Post-Secondary
UCLA: haven't heard from at all

sorry to hear that T-bruin... did you apply to any other schools??? :(

I'm almost wishing I had a rejection or two. I've still heard nothing post secondary. If i had the rejections that are sure to come, i wouldn't be checking the status pages every hour. the waiting is driving me mad.

Originally posted by Moskeeto
I'm almost wishing I had a rejection or two. I've still heard nothing post secondary. If i had the rejections that are sure to come, i wouldn't be checking the status pages every hour. the waiting is driving me mad.
To spare you the insanity, post-2ndary, the only one you need to check online status for would be UCLA, since the other UC's will send an email notice before updating the online status page RE an interview (please correct me if i'm wrong). Even w/ UCLA, except for the thrill of finding out @ an interview, there's not much you can do but wait for the snail mail info. The only other thing i can think of that the online status is useful for would be a 2ndary notice from SF or LA.

I'm currently in treatment for my OCD, so I no longer check UC online status daily (it's down to once/week now). :D

See, I don't ever mean to check my status, I'll just be sitting here and the next thing I know, I'm on a status page, its subliminal and I can't control it. Thanks for the post tho, but now I'll just check my email even more.

Actually, I'm getting a little bit better. I only check about 2 to 3 times a day. I was even skipping days, but then I got an Interview invite to Penn State and now my hopes are up again about the UCs for some reason. maybe i'll check one more time before i go to sleep.....

Just got interview to Irvine :) scheduled in late-January, but I had to change it to February instead cuz I got an interview at the East Coast on the same date.

But still absolutely <u>nothing</u> post-secondary for the other UCs:( Well, I think my UC chances are slim anyway.... Last year I got rejected by UCSF and UCSD post-interview, so this year they might just save the trouble of talking with me again.

Originally posted by Ronin
Just got interview to Irvine :) scheduled in late-January, but I had to change it to February instead cuz I got an interview at the East Coast on the same date.

But still absolutely <u>nothing</u> post-secondary for the other UCs:( Well, I think my UC chances are slim anyway.... Last year I got rejected by UCSF and UCSD post-interview, so this year they might just save the trouble of talking with me again.

What do you mean by "nothing?" Are you saying you are "on hold?" or that all your status pages don't say anything(not even hold)?

My sources told me that about 60 were reviewed (that had been interviewed) by Davis on Monday (1/6). I know that Davis interviewees go through 2 screens...the first screen is done by one of four different committees...the second screening team with screen all (or maybe just accepted) applicants. Can someone post if they hear either way. I know a couple people on admissions and I know that I wasn't reviewed by one of the committees (a group of about 20 applications)...but maybe I was in the others...and now I am out of town on an interview for the next week. Davis rejects/puts on hold by email, but they accept by phone. I am staying with a friend and I don't have easy access to a phone...so I would like to know if there is a chance that I got my decision. Thanks so much. Do you like my run-on sentences? I often do it when I am venting by computer...

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
What do you mean by "nothing?" ....all your status pages don't say anything(not even hold)?

Exactly. Not even "hold".

Sorry in advance for what may be considered a dumb question...

I'm interpreting the last few posts to mean that some people know they're on hold at a UC school because the status page actually states that they are "on hold for interview"...is that correct? People actually see that on a status page?

CC

Originally posted by coldchemist
Sorry in advance for what may be considered a dumb question...

I'm interpreting the last few posts to mean that some people know they're on hold at a UC school because the status page actually states that they are "on hold for interview"...is that correct? People actually see that on a status page?

CC

Yes...the status pages look sorta like spreadsheet grids. There is a row for uc primary, supplementary request, supplementary received, interview standing, etc. Usually there is a date next to each of these categories(depending on when something was requested or received). For those "on hold" there are the words "on hold" instead of a date next to "interview standing."

Originally posted by Ronin
Just got interview to Irvine :)

congrats. :)
now, was this offer post "status pending" or were you placed on hold for interview first?

I was checking my email today, and I came across an interview invite from UC San Diego!

This was pretty unexpected since I was put on hold Post-Secondary.

If you've been put on hold at a UC, don't give up hope. I'm proof that you can be removed from the infamous "On-Hold" category!

Good luck guys. :D

I don't know why the thread didn't go up...but let me try again! :)

You rock, UCSB!!! Good luck on your interview!!
Woohoo!!! Hell yeah!!!

Originally posted by pocwana
congrats. :)
now, was this offer post "status pending" or were you placed on hold for interview first?
Thanks Ralph, I mean, PocWana! Right, before I got the interview, it said "status pending" or something like that, and I never saw the word "hold".

YAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO GO UCSB! I guess there is hope cuz I got the same post secondary hold. I emailed someone in admissions inquiring about this and talked to some reps from UCSD...so I'm crossing my fingers too! Good luck and I'm still hoping you get into Davis.

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1
I was checking my email today, and I came across an interview invite from UC San Diego!

This was pretty unexpected since I was put on hold Post-Secondary.

If you've been put on hold at a UC, don't give up hope. I'm proof that you can be removed from the infamous "On-Hold" category!

Good luck guys. :D

Wow, UCSB! Congrats--AGAIN! You're gettin' so much lovin' from the UC's! Thanks for letting us know @ the SD update!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I was pretty excited about it. I guess I'm just getting lucky in this process.

Wish me luck! :)

It's a MIRACLE!!! :clap:

I just checked the status page for UCLA and I got an interview.

Besides just the general excitement of getting an interview at my #1 choice, I only recieved a secondary 12/23, sent it back on 1/2 and my letters arrived 1/5!!!

I had given up all hope after not receiving a secondary by Thanksgiving. It really is a miracle :love:

congratulations trix and ucsb :)

Originally posted by Trix
It's a MIRACLE!!! :clap:

I just checked the status page for UCLA and I got an interview.

Besides just the general excitement of getting an interview at my #1 choice, I only recieved a secondary 12/23, sent it back on 1/2 and my letters arrived 1/5!!!

I had given up all hope after not receiving a secondary by Thanksgiving. It really is a miracle :love:

Holy crap, that is a miracle, way to go, I'm freakin jealous.

Hooray for UCSB and Trix!!!!!!! Thanks for your inspiring news and good luck on your interviews!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Got an interview at UCI after initially being put on hold (But got interviews at UCSF and UCSD and rejected pre-interview at Davis). Can the UC's make things any more random?

Thanks for the support everyone!

Congrats on the interview bodybuilder :clap:

good luck to everyone on your interviews!
:clap: :clap: :clap: