This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

castingdoubt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken these class with these professors at UC Berkeley Extension? Could anyone comment on the quality of professor and level of difficulty? I can't seem to find any recent threads on this...

Genetics (online) with Susan Parkinson
Immunology (online) with Monica Ranes-Goldberg
Immunology with Amy Morgan
Physics 1 with Violeta Grigorescu
Physics 1 Lab with MinHua Zhu
General Chemistry 2 with Kent Lau
Introduction to Human Physiology (online) with John Placyk
Human Physiology Laboratory with Peter Niloufari vs. Nancy Rauch
Introduction in Human Physiology with Lawrence Basso
Neuroscience with Brooke Babineau
Medical Microbiology (online) with Nidhi Ahuja
Medical Microbiology with Aung Chein
The Biology of Human Cancer with Albert R Davalos
Cell Biology (0nline) with Nidhi Ahuja
Cell Biology with Ying Liu
Current Topics in the Biosciences (online) with Monica Ranes-Goldberg
Current Topics in the Biosciences with Robin Ball

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to be careful. This page is for her courses at Diablo Valley CC. Different institute, intro bio (easier) classes etc. There are no reviews for her online UCBX classes. There are other threads here on SDN with horror stories about some UCBX online classes and good stories about others.

Thanks for catching that!

Still, I'm curious to know why he wants to know about that many classes at once.

I've taken these courses:
- Physics 1 with Violeta Grigorescu = could not STAND this professor, but many of my classmates liked her and did well. She is lazy; everything she does is for her own convenience, and she absolutely cannot think on her feet. If you do each and every one of her suggested practice problems, though, you should be able to do well on her tests. This course has a lot of homework.

- Current Topics in the Biosciences (online) with Monica Ranes-Goldberg = LOVED this professor. She practically invented online courses. Ok, maybe not, but she has been teaching them for 20+ years and understands that an effective online instructor needs to give prompt, detailed feedback. You will work hard, but she will put in as much effort as you do. Highly recommend. Note that this course is pretty intense if you don't already have lots of experience reading original research papers. It took up way more time than I expected, but I learned a ton.

- Physics 1 Lab with MinHua Zhu = I took both of her labs (I and II) and did well, mostly because I like physics and did pretty well in the lectures (both with other instructors). If you are just learning and/or are not strong in physics, I'd recommend someone else. My classmates who took her lectures were frustrated. She knows her stuff, but teaches as if you already do too. She is a generous grader though - often gives the benefit of the doubt. She also sets up the labs so that you can get just about everything done within the lab period, i.e., you turn in your worksheet or report at the end of that session, so the only homework is prepping for the in-class quizzes (there were three, each pretty hard) and a final presentation (very manageable). Many people take the lecture one semester, then the lab the following semester, which could work well with Min. The lectures and labs are typically out of synch anyway. Being able to take them in different semesters is a nice aspect of UCBX.

I've taken a different online course from John Placyk and thought he was great, although it was occasionally hard to get thorough e-answers from him. Very reasonable grading.

I've taken Biology of Human Cancer with a different professor - totally amazing course content, if you're into learning about cancer. There is a ton of material to learn. The textbook is very good, although incredibly detailed, so it could be a nightmare if your professor wants you to remember all the details. I'd highly suggest taking biochem first; genetics/molecular biology is also very helpful.

Reviews from other classmates I know well:
- Human Physiology Laboratory with Peter Niloufari = this friend's advice was to avoid at all costs; said he was the worst professor ever.

- Cell Biology with Ying Liu = recommended; very nice, although draws out her lectures to the very end of the evening; this person got an A- in the course with a good amount of work, so it's possible that Liu's grading is on the harder side.

By rumor only, I've heard that Nidhi Abuja is a disaster in the online courses, although not too bad in person.

I've written other posts about some of these instructors, fyi, and you should be able to find more info on SDN if you keep digging.

Good luck!

Like @jazzmetal I have heard from multiple people to avoid Nidhi Abuja for online classes at all costs. I've had courses with Aung Chein and Ying Liu and for the most part I would recommend them both. Chein had boring lectures, but he was a very nice guy, fair in grading, and he's got an MD so he has a lot to talk about medicine-wise. He also taught at the San Francisco campus which I prefer. Liu is awesome, super friendly and easy to talk to. She is very open to suggestions on how to make her courses better. Her tests are on the difficult side, but nothing impossible and she has a lot of opportunities for points so that you don't get screwed over by a bad test.

Hello,
This might be a late response, but I wanted to throw in my cents. Dr Liu is very friendly and well informed with what she teaching. However, her test appears to be on the difficult side. If you able to memorize her ppt and take good notes, A- is easily within reach. Good luke.

Has anyone taken from Gregory Watkins, or Michael Kelleher for chem? What about William Caudy for Physics?

Michael Kelleher aka Dr K- is the best teacher I have had, in my decade of college education. Hands down, he knw what to teach to make you understand alot and apply it in other things he doesn't teach. He has over 20 years of teaching experience under his belt. He knows what he does.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone taken from Gregory Watkins, or Michael Kelleher for chem? What about William Caudy for Physics?
I had Watkins for ochem over the summer a few years back. Loved his lectures, very clear and informative. Can't really remember how the exams were, but I ended up with an A-.

William Caudy is dope. I went out of my way to take Physics II with him because I enjoyed him so much in Physics I. He was a TFA teacher before going back to get his masters in Physics. He then taught at SF State's postbac program for a while before picking up some courses at Berkeley Extension. So, he's an instructor who loves teaching. His courses are clear, concise, and he doesn't require a book. Everything you need to know you can learn from his lectures, lecture notes, and practice tests. Course took a good amount of work but all of it was straightforward. Can't recommend him enough.

I have heard great things about Watkins but haven't had the experience of any of his courses. He has the reputation of being an amazing UCBX prof.

I would HIGHLY recommend Violeta Girgorescu for physics and Michael Kelleher for organic chemistry.