UC Davis c/o 2024 (hopefully)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
14, so I have a pretty good chance I think, but waiting is still hard
An excellent chance I'd say! My best friend here was #33 and she kicks butt (mine especially :rofl:)

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Mine just updated!!! I've been so paranoid that they called me by accident or that I was hallucinating. I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to stop looking at this page now.

Anybody here have experience actually coming off the waitlist? I know Davis likes to give out scholarship money, which would help make the choice to go to Davis (if I get off the waitlist), but I am wondering if students who come off the waitlist also receive enough scholarship to make Davis competitive to other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody here have experience actually coming off the waitlist? I know Davis likes to give out scholarship money, which would help make the choice to go to Davis (if I get off the waitlist), but I am wondering if students who come off the waitlist also receive enough scholarship to make Davis competitive to other schools?

If you’re out of state, Davis does allow you to become an in state resident and take advantage of in state tuition!

Reactions: 1 users
So besides the IS tuition there's not a whole lot that first years get. If you weren't already offered a scholarship (they're extremely rare for incoming first years) then you won't get any until next year. You submit your scholarship application by December and get selected from there. There are a lot of scholarships available, just more for the upperclassmen.

I wonder if they offer scholarships to individuals that were waitlisted. I would assume if any freshman scholarships exist, they were already offered to those with initial admission offers. I say this as a current fellow waitlister.

I wonder if they offer scholarships to individuals that were waitlisted. I would assume if any freshman scholarships exist, they were already offered to those with initial admission offers. I say this as a current fellow waitlister.
I don’t know about individual scholarships but every single member of the final class of 2023 got a pretty decent scholarship!

I can’t speak from experience, but I was really impressed with the discussion of the financial aspect of vet school during the presentation after my interview. It sounded like the school works hard to help students keep costs down, and I think the main financial aid advisor (I forget her name :oops:) would do a great job of helping individual students figure out their best plan. I know they sent us a link to the recording of those presentations, so if you couldn’t make it when you interviewed you should still be able to see it.
All that being said, from what I can tell, your IS school will almost always be the cheapest.

I can’t speak from experience, but I was really impressed with the discussion of the financial aspect of vet school during the presentation after my interview. It sounded like the school works hard to help students keep costs down, and I think the main financial aid advisor (I forget her name :oops:) would do a great job of helping individual students figure out their best plan. I know they sent us a link to the recording of those presentations, so if you couldn’t make it when you interviewed you should still be able to see it.
All that being said, from what I can tell, your IS school will almost always be the cheapest.
Thanks, Unfortunately my IS is one of the most expensive in the country :( but what vet school is cheap ya know :giggle:

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know about individual scholarships but every single member of the final class of 2023 got a pretty decent scholarship!
Ah, what your are speaking of is not a scholarship per say. Every year we get money to offset some of the undergraduate fees that we need to pay on top of the vet school price (no one freak out, it's already included and why vet school is so expensive in the first place) it's flexible every year but yes it's really nice to get that extra few thousand over four years!

UGH. That sucks so much. I’m 100% sure the only reason I even got an interview at Davis is because I’m IS.
Nah everyone is kinda on an equal playing field at Davis. IS gets holistic reviews sure, but I doubt that's the only reason you got an interview. Remember you're brilliant!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in, I’ve accepted my offer, and I’m still anxious. I know they delivered my transcript last week and my portal hasn’t updated! Has anyone else’s? I’m scared they’ll have an issue with my pre-requisites.

I’m in, I’ve accepted my offer, and I’m still anxious. I know they delivered my transcript last week and my portal hasn’t updated! Has anyone else’s? I’m scared they’ll have an issue with my pre-requisites.
Relax! I too was super nervous but by accepting you they've accepted your pre-reqs. Everything is going to be fine. Congrats! See you in the fall

Does UC Davis require all transcripts to be sent again or only Fall 2019 transcripts. I thought it was the latter but they appear to be requesting my CC transcripts from 2015-2017 as well. Isn’t that included with the VMCAS App?

Does UC Davis require all transcripts to be sent again or only Fall 2019 transcripts. I thought it was the latter but they appear to be requesting my CC transcripts from 2015-2017 as well. Isn’t that included with the VMCAS App?
On the New Student Checklist on our portal it states: “All new incoming students must submit official transcripts directly to the UC Davis SVM (even if you sent them to VMCAS when you applied).”

On the New Student Checklist on our portal it states: “All new incoming students must submit official transcripts directly to the UC Davis SVM (even if you sent them to VMCAS when you applied).”

Ah I don’t think I have that as someone on the waitlist. Any idea why they require stuff already sent through VMCAS seems like it’s just more work for them (and more money to spend)?

is it normal for the waitlist to not have moved at all yet? just scared because it seems like 96/149 have already accepted and the number just keeps growing so I'm worried but also still hopeful!!!!!

Ah I don’t think I have that as someone on the waitlist. Any idea why they require stuff already sent through VMCAS seems like it’s just more work for them (and more money to spend)?
Ah -- I assume so that they can be ready in the event they accept you at some point. It'd be easier to get all the transcripts now if you're interested in remaining on the wait list.

is it normal for the waitlist to not have moved at all yet? just scared because it seems like 96/149 have already accepted and the number just keeps growing so I'm worried but also still hopeful!!!!!
Totally normal! Most people will reject their acceptance at the last possible moment for a wide array of reasons. Mostly because they're waiting on other schools and financial aid packages and whatnot. Good luck!

Totally normal! Most people will reject their acceptance at the last possible moment for a wide array of reasons. Mostly because they're waiting on other schools and financial aid packages and whatnot. Good luck!

Regardless, it would still be such a welcome sight to see my position move up by even one spot.

Regardless, it would still be such a welcome sight to see my position move up by even one spot.
They don't update the waitlist spots I don't think. They'll just continue down the list. Even if they called 32 people, you wouldn't know it unless they posted here. I'm not 100% about this though, so forgive me if I'm wrong. It's also very early! Good luck to you!

Portal just updated (no email) that all my necessary transcripts are in and all pre-reqs met. Took just about 2 weeks from when I ordered them for them to physically get there and be processed :thumbup:

If I've learned anything so far from house/apartment hunting.. it's don't live on the first floor as to avoid all the davis cockroaches getting into your things, lol! :thinking:

If I've learned anything so far from house/apartment hunting.. it's don't live on the first floor as to avoid all the davis cockroaches getting into your things, lol! :thinking:
Cockroaches? Lol I've never had that problem! But the ants though... I hate ants. At least they're small

Cockroaches? Lol I've never had that problem! But the ants though... I hate ants. At least they're small
Well that's good to hear, lol. I think I've looked at every single apartment in yelp reviews and they all say cockroaches. :uhno:

• Wow
Well that's good to hear, lol. I think I've looked at every single apartment in yelp reviews and they all say cockroaches. :uhno:

I can confirm from living in Davis for 4 years during undergrad (dorms for one year, apartment for three years) that cockroaches are an issue. Though, they seem to be more of an issue in certain areas of Davis than others. Regardless - watch where you step at night! :)

• Sad
  • Wow
Portal just updated (no email) that all my necessary transcripts are in and all pre-reqs met. Took just about 2 weeks from when I ordered them for them to physically get there and be processed :thumbup:
Okay that makes me feel a lot better lol, I was worried mine got lost or something. It definitely hasn't been two weeks since I sent them so I guess I can relax a bit! :laugh:

They don't update the waitlist spots I don't think. They'll just continue down the list. Even if they called 32 people, you wouldn't know it unless they posted here. I'm not 100% about this though, so forgive me if I'm wrong. It's also very early! Good luck to you!

From the UC Davis SVM Applicant Portal message regarding my waitlisting: "Your current position will always be up-to-date on your portal."

Another 25 people accept from today's readout and I'm pretty much toast. :(

Anyone else's transcripts still not updated on their portal?

Anyone else's transcripts still not updated on their portal?

Mine isn’t. They both were sent 1/28 and one school gave me a tracking number which got there 2/3.. and it’s not updated! I’m sure Brandy is just working as fast as she can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eek-- feeling much less stressed now that I've secured housing for the fall! Now I'm excited for August to come -- but first...need to plan a big summer vacation for one more relaxing get-away before the madness starts.. Any suggestions? ;) haha.

Eek-- feeling much less stressed now that I've secured housing for the fall! Now I'm excited for August to come -- but first...need to plan a big summer vacation for one more relaxing get-away before the madness starts.. Any suggestions? ;) haha.
Go travel if possible! Enjoy life. Do what you wish you could do in all those times you were studying. Visit family, go on a road trip, relax!

My husband and i are driving from San Diego to banff, Alberta canada! Making a 2 week trip of it. Google banff! It is gorgeous.

36 spots left for 2024 class getting nervous for the waitlist

36 spots left for 2024 class getting nervous for the waitlist
Me too :( I though our waitlist position would change on the portal if people were declining seats but I’m hoping I was wrong and it’s moved a little. Even one or two seats would be nice. I know the Cornell OOS waitlist has moved and I’d think some OOS students accepted at Davis would have declined by now. Idk. I’m stressed.

Me too :( I though our waitlist position would change on the portal if people were declining seats but I’m hoping I was wrong and it’s moved a little. Even one or two seats would be nice. I know the Cornell OOS waitlist has moved and I’d think some OOS students accepted at Davis would have declined by now. Idk. I’m stressed.

i know i thought it would've moved even 1 or 2 spots by now... still hopeful but i want answers soon!

IS waitlisted - is the waitlist being updated at all?
I haven’t seen any change on my portal. I’m not sure if that’s because they don’t update our position as it changes, or if nobody has declined seats yet. It’s stressful but I keep telling myself it’s still super early, and the waitlist isn’t likely to move much (if at all) until April when people start being forced to make decisions.

"Your current position will always be up-to-date on your portal."

can anyone confirm?

so! i know you can bring your dogs to school and put them in the homeroom kennels... what is the set up of that? and has anyone had any experience with bringing a reactive pup to school? >.< (backstory: i adopted my pup at 10 months old -- a bit past the window of socialization. he was tossed around 4 homes until a rescue stepped. socialization has been... difficult to say the least. especially after being attacked by a big dog. but he's lived with other dogs, etc.)

if i can't bring him to school, that's okay. i figured the way he is, it was a long shot to bring him. but just wanted to ask and reach out. thank you in advance!

Last edited:
so! i know you can bring your dogs to school and put them in the homeroom kennels... what is the set up of that? and has anyone had any experience with bringing a reactive pup to school? >.< (backstory: i adopted my pup at 10 months old -- a bit past the window of socialization. he was tossed around 4 homes until a rescue stepped. socialization has been... difficult to say the least. especially after being attacked by a big dog. but he's lived with other dogs, etc.)

if i can't bring him to school, that's okay. i figured the way he is, it was a long shot to bring him. but just wanted to ask and reach out. thank you in advance!
So if he's good in a kennel he should be good to go. We're vet students we understand behavior issues. When it becomes a problem is if they're loud in their crate when other people/dogs walk by. If they get complaints from the staff saying they hear them then they'll get warnings and eventually be kicked out. We also use sheets and everything else to prevent sight lines and reactivity whenever possible. We try to house the pups with their friends so they're not so stressed. It's an individual thing. So my answer is: it depends!

I’m looking into getting a new computer/tablet before school starts in the fall and obviously I want to make sure it’s a good choice for the few schools that are still options for me. I’m leaning towards a tablet with a keyboard and pen so that I can draw stuff and take handwritten notes in addition to typing things.
Does anyone know if an iPad vs a surface pro vs something else is preferable at Davis?