UC Davis c/o 2024 (hopefully)

Started by Nmakowsk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2/27: "Out of the 150 available positions, 124 have accepted to date"

If we consider my "cut off point" to be = 150 - waitlist position, e.g. if my waitlist position is #20, then my "cut off point" would be "130 have accepted to date".

My question: at what number past my "cut off point" (e..g "131 have accepted to date" would be ONE past the "cut off point") should I consider myself "out of the running" so to speak? [I know that, theoretically, any of the "accepted to date" people can withdraw/defer, thus the consideration]

I ask because I'm keen to begin planning my life at my top OOS acceptance (housing, dual degree application, other logistics, etc.).

Thanks! 🙂
 
2/27: "Out of the 150 available positions, 124 have accepted to date"

If we consider my "cut off point" to be = 150 - waitlist position, e.g. if my waitlist position is #20, then my "cut off point" would be "130 have accepted to date".

My question: at what number past my "cut off point" (e..g "131 have accepted to date" would be ONE past the "cut off point") should I consider myself "out of the running" so to speak? [I know that, theoretically, any of the "accepted to date" people can withdraw/defer, thus the consideration]

I ask because I'm keen to begin planning my life at my top OOS acceptance (housing, dual degree application, other logistics, etc.).

Thanks! 🙂
Not necessarily, a lot of people will have accepted other offers as a waitlister, also if someone has accepted Davis but suddenly gets taken off their IS waitlist. It's less likely to be sure but I've heard (not entirely sure) that it usually takes 2-3 waitlist spots to fill a seat. This obviously changes every year. My suggestion would be to wait until a little after the April deadline before making all the plans. Good luck!
 
Not necessarily, a lot of people will have accepted other offers as a waitlister, also if someone has accepted Davis but suddenly gets taken off their IS waitlist. It's less likely to be sure but I've heard (not entirely sure) that it usually takes 2-3 waitlist spots to fill a seat. This obviously changes every year. My suggestion would be to wait until a little after the April deadline before making all the plans. Good luck!

That makes sense, thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m looking into getting a new computer/tablet before school starts in the fall and obviously I want to make sure it’s a good choice for the few schools that are still options for me. I’m leaning towards a tablet with a keyboard and pen so that I can draw stuff and take handwritten notes in addition to typing things.
Does anyone know if an iPad vs a surface pro vs something else is preferable at Davis?

I did a bunch of research, and the best options are an iPad + MacBook combo or a 2-in-1 laptop like the Dell XPS 13 or the Lenovo Yoga c940 (14”). Picking between these options depends if you’re an Apple or PC user, and your budget. Can’t get by on just an iPad in vet school, but if you’re looking for only a tablet then go iPad and not Surface.

Personally didn’t like the functionality of surface laptops, but you can go into any Best Buy and see if they work for you 🙂 It helps to hold one!
 
I did a bunch of research, and the best options are an iPad + MacBook combo or a 2-in-1 laptop like the Dell XPS 13 or the Lenovo Yoga c940 (14”). Picking between these options depends if you’re an Apple or PC user, and your budget. Can’t get by on just an iPad in vet school, but if you’re looking for only a tablet then go iPad and not Surface.

Personally didn’t like the functionality of surface laptops, but you can go into any Best Buy and see if they work for you 🙂 It helps to hold one!
I have an older model surface pro now and LOVE it, and it functions as both a tablet and a laptop. I’m hoping another one will do the trick but I’m trying to figure out if I should go the Apple route instead. I’m used to both Apple and PC so that’s not an issue...I just really want whatever will work best! I’m super determined to succeed and the right tools can definitely help.
 
I have an older model surface pro now and LOVE it, and it functions as both a tablet and a laptop. I’m hoping another one will do the trick but I’m trying to figure out if I should go the Apple route instead. I’m used to both Apple and PC so that’s not an issue...I just really want whatever will work best! I’m super determined to succeed and the right tools can definitely help.
Computer nerd. Just wanted to pop in. If you like the surface pro, go for the surface book 2. Unless the 3 gets announced and released before school starts? Basically, it’s everything good about the surface pro but in a body that feels like a MacBook Pro. The tablet portion is connected to the aluminum base and can be removed by pressing a button so you can use it like a tablet. The screen is much larger than a surface pro and the battery life is good. Honestly I have no complaints about it. You can get one with the same specs as a MacBook Pro for the same price or cheaper, plus it has the touch screen. Very worth it.
 
Computer nerd. Just wanted to pop in. If you like the surface pro, go for the surface book 2. Unless the 3 gets announced and released before school starts? Basically, it’s everything good about the surface pro but in a body that feels like a MacBook Pro. The tablet portion is connected to the aluminum base and can be removed by pressing a button so you can use it like a tablet. The screen is much larger than a surface pro and the battery life is good. Honestly I have no complaints about it. You can get one with the same specs as a MacBook Pro for the same price or cheaper, plus it has the touch screen. Very worth it.
Other than the larger screen, what makes it better than a surface pro? I hadn’t even considered a regular surface because I didn’t realize you could detach the keyboard, so I know nothing about it!
 
Other than the larger screen, what makes it better than a surface pro? I hadn’t even considered a regular surface because I didn’t realize you could detach the keyboard, so I know nothing about it!
Make sure you look into the surface book 2, not the surface laptop if the detach ability of the screen is important.

The keyboard is rigid and aluminum, meaning you can just sit it on your lap or really anywhere without doing that weird balancing act you sometimes have to do with the flimsy keyboard and kickstand that the surface pro has. It also just gives it a higher quality feel that’s similar to the MacBook Pro.

The resolution of the screen in the surface book is better by a bit. Though this isn’t objectively important. It’s easily portable since it’s much more rigid. Its performance is pretty much the same although it’s a bit more expensive, but here’s the trade off: the pro is basically a tablet trying to sort of be a laptop. The book is a laptop that is also a very good tablet. You can also get a discrete GPU in the book if you want.

Overall, for vet school purposes, both do the same thing as far as programs and performance. But if you want more of a laptop feel with the same functionality as the pro, the book is great.
 
Make sure you look into the surface book 2, not the surface laptop if the detach ability of the screen is important.

The keyboard is rigid and aluminum, meaning you can just sit it on your lap or really anywhere without doing that weird balancing act you sometimes have to do with the flimsy keyboard and kickstand that the surface pro has. It also just gives it a higher quality feel that’s similar to the MacBook Pro.

The resolution of the screen in the surface book is better by a bit. Though this isn’t objectively important. It’s easily portable since it’s much more rigid. Its performance is pretty much the same although it’s a bit more expensive, but here’s the trade off: the pro is basically a tablet trying to sort of be a laptop. The book is a laptop that is also a very good tablet. You can also get a discrete GPU in the book if you want.

Overall, for vet school purposes, both do the same thing as far as programs and performance. But if you want more of a laptop feel with the same functionality as the pro, the book is great.
Awesome, thanks!! I’ll definitely do more research on it and head to a store to play with them both for a bit.
 
Anyone else's transcripts still not updated on the portal? I know Brandy is working as fast as she can, and she said in an email a few weeks ago not to worry so I don't want to bother her. But of course I'm still worrying anyway :laugh: They were sent on January 21st and I just have this feeling they might have gotten lost in the mail or something haha
 
Anyone else's transcripts still not updated on the portal? I know Brandy is working as fast as she can, and she said in an email a few weeks ago not to worry so I don't want to bother her. But of course I'm still worrying anyway :laugh: They were sent on January 21st and I just have this feeling they might have gotten lost in the mail or something haha
Even if it did get lost in the mail, they would just ask you to send another one, so it's not like they'll kick you out 🙂
 
Anyone else's transcripts still not updated on the portal? I know Brandy is working as fast as she can, and she said in an email a few weeks ago not to worry so I don't want to bother her. But of course I'm still worrying anyway :laugh: They were sent on January 21st and I just have this feeling they might have gotten lost in the mail or something haha

Oh good it’s not just me. My stuff hasn’t quite updated either so you’re not alone!!
 
"You are at waitlist position:22. Out of the 150 available positions, 128 have accepted to date"

+pissed+




...but really, congrats to all that got in!
 
Hiiii @Coopah!
Question: Do you remember when around you found out your class schedule and timings for first year? My best friends wedding is on August 29th and I can’t really book a flight without knowing my schedule for that Friday August 28th.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hiiii @Coopah!
Question: Do you remember when around you found out your class schedule and timings for first year? My best friends wedding is on August 29th and I can’t really book a flight without knowing my schedule for that Friday August 28th.
I can look it up for you right now? It might change of course but it should give you an idea.
 
Looks like the latest you'd get out would be 3pm depending on the group, so the later the flight the better
Ohhh okay, didn’t know you would be able to look it up! Thanks for doing that!! I’m assuming if it’s group related probably best to not miss that day then? If it was just a lecture I was going to maybe be bad and skip it :3
 
Ohhh okay, didn’t know you would be able to look it up! Thanks for doing that!! I’m assuming if it’s group related probably best to not miss that day then? If it was just a lecture I was going to maybe be bad and skip it :3
Yeah looks like you have a lab that day I don't think the schedule will be firm for a long while. Probably not until July when you get your groups
 
For current students, are classes being affected at all by the coronavirus situation?
Not really, it's gonna be interesting for clinics though (we start in a few weeks) our oncology Prof has been super accommodating and wants us to stay home if we feel sick or anything and has made several mandatory things optionally take home and bless her she's wonderful.
 
Is it typical for absolutely zero movement within waitlist position? I would have expected at least one positional change by now (even if it was someone waitlisted in front of me, etc.)

@Alliebird
 
oof. hope the transition will go as smoothly as possible!
I personally feel like we're a little better off than some schools right now. Our rotations are not affected and externships are discouraged not prohibited. Things may (and likely will) change but for now we're chugging along. It's rough for the third and fourth years especially because any missed core rotations need to be made up and there's not a lot of time to do that.
 
My husband is waitlisted for UCD. I know that I am not a pre-vet student, but I've been quite bored being stuck at home so I thought I would jump on here to answer questions regarding life in Davis for those who have been accepted but don't live around here.

I have been living in Davis since fall of 2015 (transferred during undergrad) and have lived in NorCal all of my life 🙂
 
for anyone still needing housing, message me! 🙂 we have a place that's actually a 4-5 min. bike ride to the vet school! (female preferred, please)
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel the same way as you... I guess it’s not over til the end but it’s def hard to remain hopeful
I’m right there with you both but don’t lose hope never lose hope! People sometimes don’t get off the waitlist until late summer so hold on tight <33333
 
I’m right there with you both but don’t lose hope never lose hope! People sometimes don’t get off the waitlist until late summer so hold on tight <33333
It’s just crazy to me that the waitlist hasn’t moved AT ALL and 139 people have accepted seats! Previous years so many more students came off the waitlist. I’m hoping there’s a lot that have accepted that will switch to a different school if they get in off the waitlist there or something but idk 😕
 
I'm slightly regretting having signed a lease so quickly since the place I chose (which I really liked) only allows cats. I'm reading more about the canine enrichment program and I definitely would've loved to sign up and be a part of... but I'll feel pretty bad if I can't take the dog home with me (unless of course I sneak it in lol -- but that could be dangerous).
 
It’s just crazy to me that the waitlist hasn’t moved AT ALL and 139 people have accepted seats! Previous years so many more students came off the waitlist. I’m hoping there’s a lot that have accepted that will switch to a different school if they get in off the waitlist there or something but idk 😕
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya! - Maybe spots 1-13 on the waitlist are committed to their top choice school by now 😛
 
I'm slightly regretting having signed a lease so quickly since the place I chose (which I really liked) only allows cats. I'm reading more about the canine enrichment program and I definitely would've loved to sign up and be a part of... but I'll feel pretty bad if I can't take the dog home with me (unless of course I sneak it in lol -- but that could be dangerous).
Oh I do love the colony dog program! Here's a picture of the love bug I had this year 😍
IMG_1963.JPG
 
It’s just crazy to me that the waitlist hasn’t moved AT ALL and 139 people have accepted seats! Previous years so many more students came off the waitlist. I’m hoping there’s a lot that have accepted that will switch to a different school if they get in off the waitlist there or something but idk 😕

I know I’m really shocked by no movement at all either. Last year they went through the entire waitlist so I’m like shook
 
Alright, call me crazy. I’m so excited about attending UC Davis I’ve already bought a white coat ceremony dress!! It came in the mail today and it’s a perfect fit. I really can’t wait to start in the fall and meet all of my future classmates! 🙂

Hopefully they don’t cancel the white coat ceremony because of COVID-19... :0
 
Alright, call me crazy. I’m so excited about attending UC Davis I’ve already bought a white coat ceremony dress!! It came in the mail today and it’s a perfect fit. I really can’t wait to start in the fall and meet all of my future classmates! 🙂

Hopefully they don’t cancel the white coat ceremony because of COVID-19... :0

I think one of the greatest things about having a white coat ceremony before we even begin classes is that if we have to postpone it, we have up to ~4 years to push it back. I feel like the other schools that do it before beginning clinical rotations might have to combine their white coat ceremony and their graduation if things get too crazy and go on for months and months!
 
Just got my financial aid package and, although I prepared for the worst lol, it's still a big blow below my money belt

so! The estimated cost of Books and Supplies is $3,795... For loans purposes -- is this a pretty accurate estimate for the year? Thank you?
 
Would any current UCD SVM students on this forum be willing to personally message me regarding how much of your loan you actually take out? I understand they advise you to keep track of your personal expenses (like rent, food, etc) and then adjust your awards as needed, and I would love it if I had an idea of how much individuals actually take out after calculating those costs. Thank you!!
 
Would any current UCD SVM students on this forum be willing to personally message me regarding how much of your loan you actually take out? I understand they advise you to keep track of your personal expenses (like rent, food, etc) and then adjust your awards as needed, and I would love it if I had an idea of how much individuals actually take out after calculating those costs. Thank you!!

would be interested as well -- ofc if you don't mind 🙂 thank you in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
😀
Me too!!! Did you get in anywhere else? It’s so hard just sitting around waiting. I’m #14 btw so you’ll get in before me 😀
I’m OOS waitlisted at Oregon (#7), Davis has always been my number one choice though! I hope we get in together, reading your posts has been so reassuring since we are basically in the same boat!
 
@Alliebird do you think they updated the waitlist positions? The email said everyone had until 8pm today to accept but 1 person accepted after 8pm
 
@Alliebird do you think they updated the waitlist positions? The email said everyone had until 8pm today to accept but 1 person accepted after 8pm

On the portal it says the due date to accept/decline is 11:59 PM!