This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But if your score is competitive consistently in your prep, of course take it and get it out the way. But if that's not the case then I agree, just keep doing your prep and the post bacc (if accepted) will help you improve even more.

I'm scared I might not get into the program, I heard there are 600 applicants and only 45 spots between UCD, UCLA, UCSF. So I am making a plan B by studying for the MCAT in the event I don't get admitted in any school. When I initially took it I had no resources but I worked 2 jobs and uber on the side and saved up for a Kaplan course. My score improved significantly but it is not competitive. We'll see, I'm hoping for UCLA though because I live in San Diego.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm scared I might not get into the program, I heard there are 600 applicants and only 45 spots between UCD, UCLA, UCSF. So I am making a plan B by studying for the MCAT in the event I don't get admitted in any school. When I initially took it I had no resources but I worked 2 jobs and uber on the side and saved up for a Kaplan course. My score improved significantly but it is not competitive. We'll see, I'm hoping for UCLA though because I live in San Diego.
Only 45 spots total for all the different programs? Wow

Only 45 spots total for all the different programs? Wow
that's what I said! there are 15 spots for each school except for UCI I think they have 20 students each year. I think this is why they have a great success rate= smaller class size so each student gets all the resources and attention they need.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's what I said! there are 15 spots for each school except for UCI I think they have 20 students each year. I think this is why they have a great success rate= smaller class size so each student gets all the resources and attention they need.
UCI had 11 this year :) Yeah it is intentionally small because the advising staff really want to focus on supporting a few students to their maximum potential rather than a larger cohort minimally. It is competitive however, I would do a strong self assessment. Generally a good MCAT score can balance out a low gpa so if you do not believe you are consistently scoring in that competitive range hold off on taking the exam ! Trust me my advisor says a lot of people make the mistake of rushing it and then applying and not getting accepted anywhere because their score is not where it needs to be. And if your gpa is really low I would suggest doing classes through UC Open Extension first- master whatever you struggled in - albeit Cell Bio, Ochem, Biochem Etc. AND THEN start preparing for the MCAT . You will come to find that once you have a good foundation it makes it exponentially easier to study for the exam. All this being said, I would strongly recommend speaking to an advisor or calling a Med Admissions office and try talking to someone who can give you a realistic assessment based on your current gpa, MCAT practice exam scores and all that jazz. They can give you very honest advice and it will be probably more credible and reliable than any info you could get from this forum. I have attached relative stats below if you want to take a look.
Screen+Shot+2019-01-04+at+2.13.42+PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
UCI had 11 this year :) Yeah it is intentionally small because the advising staff really want to focus on supporting a few students to their maximum potential rather than a larger cohort minimally. It is competitive however, I would do a strong self assessment. Generally a good MCAT score can balance out a low gpa so if you do not believe you are consistently scoring in that competitive range hold off on taking the exam ! Trust me my advisor says a lot of people make the mistake of rushing it and then applying and not getting accepted anywhere because their score is not where it needs to be. And if your gpa is really low I would suggest doing classes through UC Open Extension first- master whatever you struggled in - albeit Cell Bio, Ochem, Biochem Etc. AND THEN start preparing for the MCAT . You will come to find that once you have a good foundation it makes it exponentially easier to study for the exam. All this being said, I would strongly recommend speaking to an advisor or calling a Med Admissions office and try talking to someone who can give you a realistic assessment based on your current gpa, MCAT practice exam scores and all that jazz. They can give you very honest advice and it will be probably more credible and reliable than any info you could get from this forum. I have attached relative stats below if you want to take a look.View attachment 256052
Thanks! Also, for the acceptance rates I wonder if that is including postbac GPA as well or just undergrad?

Thanks! Also, for the acceptance rates I wonder if that is including postbac GPA as well or just undergrad?
Interesting you mentioned that! So this is why postbacc programs are so great. They DIRECTLY affect your undergrad gpa because you will be taking undergrad classes. So the table would technically include your undergrad plus your postbacc. Secondly, I have heard from other med school students, postbacc alumni, and admissions staff from UCI that Med Schools in general will weigh more of their judgement on your postbacc gpa compared to your undergrad. They want to compare how well you did in the program as well as your general upward trend.

So if your gpa needs some work and you dont get into a postbacc and don't want to wait to enhance your undergad gpa you can always take classes at a CC or more preferably through UC Open Extension and improve your undergrad gpa.
Trying to participate in a Special Masters Program is cautioned because Med School admissions will not look at your masters gpa. However, some SMPs have guaranteed interviews or even linkages with their programs - so they are an opportunity in their own right to consider

Reactions: 1 user
So if your gpa needs some work and you dont get into a postbacc and don't want to wait to enhance your undergad gpa you can always take classes at a CC or more preferably through UC Open Extension and improve your undergrad gpa.
Trying to participate in a Special Masters Program is cautioned because Med School admissions will not look at your masters gpa. However, some SMPs have guaranteed interviews or even linkages with their programs - so they are an opportunity in their own right to consider
awesome! Thanks! I thought about retaking courses at CC but heard that doesn't really help one's case as they might be easier than courses at a four-year institution.

Also, do you think that schools reserve spots for students that have successfully completed their specific program? I would assume they would want to retain those students since they spent so much effort in training them then losing their students to another school. Did your postbac encourage you to apply to their med school?

awesome! Thanks! I thought about retaking courses at CC but heard that doesn't really help one's case as they might be easier than courses at a four-year institution.

Also, do you think that schools reserve spots for students that have successfully completed their specific program? I would assume they would want to retain those students since they spent so much effort in training them then losing their students to another school. Did your postbac encourage you to apply to their med school?
Yeah of course. I learned a lot about this process from the program and just plain and simple doing things the good old fashioned hard way aha. Short answer yes CC does not look as favorably as university level courses but it is still a way to boost your undergrad gpa and if you excel it will still be reviewed positively thus it is a great option to consider. Also, if you plan to do classes at a UC, admissions aren't just going to want to see that you took the exact same class and got a better grade, but that you took an advanced level class and excelled. For example, lets say you struggled in Genetics, you take a intro Genetics course at a CC , build up your foundation, then go to a UC and ace an Advanced Genetic course--> this is the optimal scenario if you really struggled in a subject. Lets say your issue wasnt the subject material but just that you needed more time. Invest in yourself! Take out students loans and just be a full time student, no work, extracurriculars etc--> which is what you would essentially do in a postbacc anyway and dedicate your time to your studies.

Reactions: 2 users
The second answer to your question is your place at their medical school is never guaranteed- at least for programs without linkages. Sure they want you to excel and consider going to their medical school, however, their ultimate goal is to ensure you become a better medical school applicant no matter where you end up matriculating. I guess what I am trying to say is if you don't meet a certain threshold in your academic performance and MCAT score, it doesn't matter how bad they may want you at their med school, they require you to meet roughly the same standard as any of the med students they admit. That being said I am definitely applying to UCI !

Last edited:
Yeah they sent me an email yesterday, and today they sent me another to choose my interview date. It gave me two options and I chose April 1st!

Hey! How was your interview today?! I hope it went great

Hey! How was your interview today?! I hope it went great

Thank you! It went very well I think. I definitely love how UC Davis is so invested in making sure their post-bacc students have lots of support and resources. Crossing my fingers I get in!

Thank you! It went very well I think. I definitely love how UC Davis is so invested in making sure their post-bacc students have lots of support and resources. Crossing my fingers I get in!

Any advice on how to prepare for the interview? Congrats on the interview - hoping you get good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice on how to prepare for the interview? Congrats on the interview - hoping you get good news!

I would recommend to know your application very well and be as honest as possible. They will ask you the basics “why medicine” “who do you want to serve” “what experiences have shaped you (good or bad)” etc. Most importantly be confident and try to answer the questions as much as possible. Before answering take a few seconds and breathe. Other than that its very much an MMI so there’s different parts to the interview. Goodluck! And again, be confident! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey y'all! I got accepted to UCI (I am so grateful!), does anyone know if UCSF or UCD will not consider my application anymore if I accepted the position? I am totally happy with UCI, I just was curious!

Hey y'all! I got accepted to UCI (I am so grateful!), does anyone know if UCSF or UCD will not consider my application anymore if I accepted the position? I am totally happy with UCI, I just was curious!
Congrats! When did you get interviewed?

I would recommend to know your application very well and be as honest as possible. They will ask you the basics “why medicine” “who do you want to serve” “what experiences have shaped you (good or bad)” etc. Most importantly be confident and try to answer the questions as much as possible. Before answering take a few seconds and breathe. Other than that its very much an MMI so there’s different parts to the interview. Goodluck! And again, be confident! :)

Congratulations!

Can ask if you were a first time applicant or a reapp? I applied late because I’m a reapp and I don’t know if they interview reAPPs and frost apps in the same order?

Congratulations!

Can ask if you were a first time applicant or a reapp? I applied late because I’m a reapp and I don’t know if they interview reAPPs and frost apps in the same order?

No worries, I am a first time applicant! I don't think they have a preference or choose one over the other to interview, i'm not too sure though.

No worries, I am a first time applicant! I don't think they have a preference or choose one over the other to interview, i'm not too sure though.
What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind at all.

Currently a senior @ SFSU. Majoring in Cell and Molecular Biology as well as Psychology (double major). I haven't done any research or have any publications, but I do have lots of experience working with the underserved (my own community). Lots of community service hours + shadowing. I'm also bilingual (english and spanish).

Science GPA: 2.82
Overall GPA: 3.17

Application Submitted: 2/26
Application marked 'Complete': 2/26

Rejected from: UCI
Skype interview w/ Davis: 3/13
In-person Interview w/ Davis: 4/1

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah of course. I learned a lot about this process from the program and just plain and simple doing things the good old fashioned hard way aha. Short answer yes CC does not look as favorably as university level courses but it is still a way to boost your undergrad gpa and if you excel it will still be reviewed positively thus it is a great option to consider. Also, if you plan to do classes at a UC, admissions aren't just going to want to see that you took the exact same class and got a better grade, but that you took an advanced level class and excelled. For example, lets say you struggled in Genetics, you take a intro Genetics course at a CC , build up your foundation, then go to a UC and ace an Advanced Genetic course--> this is the optimal scenario if you really struggled in a subject. Lets say your issue wasnt the subject material but just that you needed more time. Invest in yourself! Take out students loans and just be a full time student, no work, extracurriculars etc--> which is what you would essentially do in a postbacc anyway and dedicate your time to your studies.
tostilokos, I don't think your gpa boost logic works in all scenarios. What about someone who has already have taken 165+ credits at undergraduate and then takes postbacc or even some classes at CC or university level. Don't you need to take a ton of classes to expect any significant gpa boost ?

I don't mind at all.

Currently a senior @ SFSU. Majoring in Cell and Molecular Biology as well as Psychology (double major). I haven't done any research or have any publications, but I do have lots of experience working with the underserved (my own community). Lots of community service hours + shadowing. I'm also bilingual (english and spanish).

Science GPA: 2.82
Overall GPA: 3.17

Application Submitted: 2/26
Application marked 'Complete': 2/26

Rejected from: UCI
Skype interview w/ Davis: 3/13
In-person Interview w/ Davis: 4/1
Good stuff. Well, you're on your way to enhancing your application and getting into med school!!!

tostilokos, I don't think your gpa boost logic works in all scenarios. What about someone who has already have taken 165+ credits at undergraduate and then takes postbacc or even some classes at CC or university level. Don't you need to take a ton of classes to expect any significant gpa boost ?
It's not just about the GPA boost. The post bacc is nice for med school prospective students is to prove you're capable of med school classes by maintaining (hopefully) all As in these curated classes.

Maybe part of the reason we got a less than ideal GPA is maybe of an underlying problem (family, socioeconomic, etc.). This program can be your reset and justify to MD/DO schools that you're meant to be a doctor!

Yes all As are nice for GPA, but it's the fact that you're getting these As in challenging classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's not just about the GPA boost. The post bacc is nice for med school prospective students is to prove you're capable of med school classes by maintaining (hopefully) all As in these curated classes.

Maybe part of the reason we got a less than ideal GPA is maybe of an underlying problem (family, socioeconomic, etc.). This program is your reset and to justify to MD/DO schools that you're capable!

Yes all As are nice for GPA, but it's the fact that you're getting these As in challenging classes.

Exactly. Also what you need to consider is that Admissions see a breakdown of your gpa. This is another thing to note. So for colleges who are "postbacc friendly" after they have screened out all the applicants who do not meet minimum reqs they do a holistic review. Meaning they go back and review a breakdown of your gpa by year - freshman, soph...post-bacc, grad, etc. Because med students aren't required to go to grad school- even if you do well in grad school, admissions are not going to put a lot of weight on that BUT if they see you from junior to senior year a steady improvement and then around a 4.0 in a postbacc they WILL consider your app more strongly especially if there were underlying issues that affected your gpa.

If your logic were true then yes a year would not do much for a student with a 3.0 gpa and essentially every postbacc student would not have a chance in getting into medical school but that clearly isnt the case. Which just goes to show when you put in the work and the tme, no matter what your background/experience, medical school is always option!

Last edited:
how many others were in your interview session?

I read in an earlier post that if the application was in review that it would show up in our application. Can anyone verify if this is true?

Me too I haven’t heard from them. I turned in my app March 12. When did you submit yours?
Have you heard back from any of the schools? I also turned my app on the 12th and have not heard back. I am wondering if they have reviewed those apps yet.

Are any of you guys applying to med school this cycle?

Have you heard back from any of the schools? I also turned my app on the 12th and have not heard back. I am wondering if they have reviewed those apps yet.
Are you a first-time applicant or a reapp? Maybe it has something to do with that? Or the specific schools you applied to?

Still nothing. My friend who submitted the app a week after mine got her rejected letter from UCI today. So I’m confused..

No not yet. I'm just trying to study hard now. Hopefully I get into one of the programs. What about you?

Same, I’m studying for it rn too. Also going to apply this cycle! Just in case I don’t get into any postbacs. Have you had any interviews?

Same, I’m studying for it rn too. Also going to apply this cycle! Just in case I don’t get into any postbacs. Have you had any interviews?
Nice! And no I have not. Which post bacc programs did you apply to?

Nice! And no I have not. Which post bacc programs did you apply to?

I applied to UCI (rejected) UCSF (haven’t heard back yet) and UCD (had a Primary Skype Interview). Wbu?

I applied to UCI (rejected) UCSF (haven’t heard back yet) and UCD (had a Primary Skype Interview). Wbu?
Nice! I submitted a little late (03/24/19) UCLA, UC Davis, UC San Fran. I haven't heard anything from any of them lol.

Nice! I submitted a little late (03/24/19) UCLA, UC Davis, UC San Fran. I haven't heard anything from any of them lol.

Have you applied to med school before? Because I think UCLA was for reapplicants right?

Right. Yes I have.

Nice! So you’ve been through this whole process. I’ve been trying to write my personal statement and get my 15 experiences ready as I study. You already have all of that ready huh