UCSF Interviews!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the best way to get from the airport (the closest I guess being SFO) to ucsf?
I thought about renting a car, but it seems like getting parking might be a hassle since I have a friday afternoon interview. Is the public transportation reliable? Any idea which route I should take? Or would getting a cab be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know the best way to get from the airport (the closest I guess being SFO) to ucsf?
I thought about renting a car, but it seems like getting parking might be a hassle since I have a friday afternoon interview. Is the public transportation reliable? Any idea which route I should take? Or would getting a cab be better?

Public transportation is pretty reliable even though it doesn't always come on time. Here's a site you can use to help you navigate from sfo to ucsf. http://transit.511.org/tripplanner/index.asp

If you want to do public transportation, take BART from SFO, get off at the Glen Park Station, then take the Northbound 44 O'Shaughnessy bus. The 44 stops directly in front of UCSF Med Sciences. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time if you want to do that. The BART should cost about $3-4, and the MUNI costs $1.50 one way.

Otherwise I would take a cab up to UCSF (it's about $30-40), and cabs often go around UCSF during the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks stkyrice! Those are great suggestions. Lime sounds really good! Looks like there's a good variety of interesting food in the area...I guess you'd expect that in SF! I just didn't know if UCSF was located near any of the great food spots in the city.

I've been living in SF for 10+ years, and actually the Inner Sunset isn't the greatest part for food--but if you do get in, you can travel anywhere and find great food almost anywhere.

That's one of the reasons why I wanna stay here. :)

Does being offered an interview mean that all interviewees are considered equally in terms of final admissions decisions, or will they go back and look at everyone's file?

For example, even if I got an interview, I'm sure there are others that got interviews that are way more qualified than I am. Would they look at the original application/stats again (which would automatically give that other person a more likely chance for admission) along with the interview/essay, or are we all starting out at square one once we get the interview offer?

If you made it to the interview round, obviously UCSF thinks that you definitely have potential. As one of my friends said who didn't get in, you have a 50-50 change of getting in, and they obviously believe that you have what it takes.

According to the application session I went to back in October, they look at everything again, but if you can rock the interview and your essay, you're in. What they're looking for are people who know why they want to go into pharmacy and who can express it. At least, that's what all my friends have told me. :)

Hi Guys

I have been steadily observing this forum and waiting in Anxiety for a response from UCSF. I have been on vacation and just received an interview invite for UCSF. I am honestly so Honored and grateful for this opportunity. Never in a MILLION years did I think that I would get an interview from UCSF. I have already been accepted at UOP and was planning on attending this school because I never thought that my dreams of attending UCSF would EVeR BE REACHABLE. I am honestly SO EXCITED.

I wish you all the best of Luck. Hopefully we will all meet at orientation in the fall. Positive attitudes contribute to success so stay positive!

GOod Luck to EVERYONE!!!

I AM SO EXCITED!!! I can't wait!

Hi Guys

I have been steadily observing this forum and waiting in Anxiety for a response from UCSF. I have been on vacation and just received an interview invite for UCSF. I am honestly so Honored and grateful for this opportunity. Never in a MILLION years did I think that I would get an interview from UCSF. I have already been accepted at UOP and was planning on attending this school because I never thought that my dreams of attending UCSF would EVeR BE REACHABLE. I am honestly SO EXCITED.

I wish you all the best of Luck. Hopefully we will all meet at orientation in the fall. Positive attitudes contribute to success so stay positive!

GOod Luck to EVERYONE!!!

I AM SO EXCITED!!! I can't wait!

YEE.

not that it matters much, but did you guys hear? UCSF received 1700 applications this year and sent out 400 interview letters? that is a lot higher in comparison to last year's 1500/300 (?). yeah... i thought it was interesting considering USC has similar numbers this year... i think.

so yeah. good luck yall.

not that it matters much, but did you guys hear? UCSF received 1700 applications this year and sent out 400 interview letters? that is a lot higher in comparison to last year's 1500/300 (?). yeah... i thought it was interesting considering USC has similar numbers this year... i think.

so yeah. good luck yall.

Just curious as to where you got these numbers for UCSF from. 400 interviews... that's a lot.

The UCSF website says that they interview about 250 applicants per year.

Yeah, but from the tone in Traddie's response, it sounds like he/she heard information pertaining specifically to this year's application pool; not an average number based on prior years.

Anyways, that type of information would not be posted on their website.

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/3/
"This number is not fixed."
400 interviews, up from 250 is far from a normal deviation, I'd say.

If you want to do public transportation, take BART from SFO, get off at the Glen Park Station, then take the Northbound 44 O'Shaughnessy bus. The 44 stops directly in front of UCSF Med Sciences. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time if you want to do that. The BART should cost about $3-4, and the MUNI costs $1.50 one way.

Otherwise I would take a cab up to UCSF (it's about $30-40), and cabs often go around UCSF during the day.

Note: the 44 bus actually does NOT stop directly in front of the school. It stops on 9th and Judah, whereas school is past 3rd and Judah/Parnassus (Judah turns into Parnassus). There are other buses you can take from 9th and Judah that will take you up Judah to school, but that's a pain to transfer buses or to even walk the 7 blocks uphill if you have luggage and are wearing a suit/heels.

If time is not an issue: I would take the BART from SFO, get off downtown (Civic Center, Powell), and take the Muni N-Judah (towards Ocean Beach) to school. The N stops right by the parking structure, and you can take the parking structure elevator all the way up to the street level to where the Med Science building is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but from the tone in Traddie's response, it sounds like he/she heard information pertaining specifically to this year's application pool; not an average number based on prior years.

Anyways, that type of information would not be posted on their website.

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/admissions/steps/3/
"This number is not fixed."
400 interviews, up from 250 is far from a normal deviation, I'd say.

According to PharmCAS, 308 were interviewed last year...

http://pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolUCSFpage.htm

According to PharmCAS, 308 were interviewed last year...

http://pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolUCSFpage.htm

Thanks for that link, I missed that one off of PharmCAS.

As far as transportation goes, I'm driving from a local hotel to the school. I know parking at the Millberry UPG will be $22.00 (I'm getting there early to eat and ensure I'm not late), but that cost will be close to nothing if I can get that precious acceptance letter in the mail. :)

Are you renting a car or driving your own? I looked at the costs of renting+parking and it seems like it'd be cheaper if I just took a cab from the airport.
I really want to just drive there, but pretty sure I won't be able to stay awake for the interview if I drive the 6 hr from LA :eek:

Note: the 44 bus actually does NOT stop directly in front of the school. It stops on 9th and Judah, whereas school is past 3rd and Judah/Parnassus (Judah turns into Parnassus). There are other buses you can take from 9th and Judah that will take you up Judah to school, but that's a pain to transfer buses or to even walk the 7 blocks uphill if you have luggage and are wearing a suit/heels.

If time is not an issue: I would take the BART from SFO, get off downtown (Civic Center, Powell), and take the Muni N-Judah (towards Ocean Beach) to school. The N stops right by the parking structure, and you can take the parking structure elevator all the way up to the street level to where the Med Science building is.

Thanks you guys! Any idea how long that route would take? I gave myself 3 hours to get from airport to ucsf

Are you renting a car or driving your own? I looked at the costs of renting+parking and it seems like it'd be cheaper if I just took a cab from the airport.
I really want to just drive there, but pretty sure I won't be able to stay awake for the interview if I drive the 6 hr from LA :eek:

Taking a cab or shuttle from the airport would probably be cheaper, but I haven't done the research for that so I'm not entirely sure. I'll be driving my own vehicle.

You're right--I got the 44 mixed up with the 43. Thanks for the correction!

woohoo, got an interview invitation in the mail today, see you guys Feb 15th!!

Ahh, I just found out I will be interviewing at UCSF!!! I am beyond ecstatic. I am seriously on the verge of tears but I'm at work so I'm keeping it together but for reals, I feel insanely lucky and extremely grateful for this chance. I thought I had a snowball's chance in HE double hockey sticks due to my subpar grades, overall gpa 3.3, pre-req gpa 3.0. My undergrad transcript is littered with mostly C's in practically all of my science-related courses, some B's, fewer A's but most of those are in foreign language courses, and a C- in o-chem which I had to re-take at a community college. I had my application postmarked Nov. 1 two hours before the post office was going to close, and PharmCAS didn't even mail out my stuff until beginning of Dec. so I can probably safely say my application could not have been received any later. And I am not a good writer. I did volunteer a lot in undergrad for a lot of different organizations on campus so I wonder if that's what put me over the edge but I didn't have huge leadership roles. Anyhow, the reason for this long post is, I just want to say no one should reject themselves from a pharmacy school. I almost did. I had a little voice in my head that was saying why even bother applying to UCSF especially after reading all of their app questions. They were the most difficult out of all the ones I've encountered so far in this applying process and it seemed like a lot of work for something I thought for sure I wouldn't get but I'm so glad I didn't listen. So yeah, apply apply apply even if you think you have no chance because you never really do know.

woohoo, got an interview invitation in the mail today, see you guys Feb 15th!!

Ahh, I just found out I will be interviewing at UCSF!!! I am beyond ecstatic. I am seriously on the verge of tears but I'm at work so I'm keeping it together but for reals, I feel insanely lucky and extremely grateful for this chance. I thought I had a snowball's chance in HE double hockey sticks due to my subpar grades, overall gpa 3.3, pre-req gpa 3.0. My undergrad transcript is littered with mostly C's in practically all of my science-related courses, some B's, fewer A's but most of those are in foreign language courses, and a C- in o-chem which I had to re-take at a community college. I had my application postmarked Nov. 1 two hours before the post office was going to close, and PharmCAS didn't even mail out my stuff until beginning of Dec. so I can probably safely say my application could not have been received any later. And I am not a good writer. I did volunteer a lot in undergrad for a lot of different organizations on campus so I wonder if that's what put me over the edge but I didn't have huge leadership roles. Anyhow, the reason for this long post is, I just want to say no one should reject themselves from a pharmacy school. I almost did. I had a little voice in my head that was saying why even bother applying to UCSF especially after reading all of their app questions. They were the most difficult out of all the ones I've encountered so far in this applying process and it seemed like a lot of work for something I thought for sure I wouldn't get but I'm so glad I didn't listen. So yeah, apply apply apply even if you think you have no chance because you never really do know.

Grats on your interviews and good luck.

What does UCSF look for at the interview? Why does one get accepted or rejected after the interview?

Thanks Kattster for the encouragement....I have almost the same stats as you so yeah...it gives me great encouragement with someone as low as my status can get in far beyond their dreams. I'm really happy for that encouragement and congratulate you on your accomplishments and wish you the best at your interviews and wherever you decide to go to Pharmacy school. :):):)

so yeah. good luck yall.

Where are you getting this info from?

Hi all!! I see that my wonderful classmates have been replying to the posts! Congrats to everyone and the p1 class is very excited to meet you all! Please message me if you have any concerns/problems. I will be more than happy to help anyone! And.. REMEMBER... you are almost there... from what I know of th admission process last year... an interview to UCSF is very promising as most people do indeed get accepted! So, calm down (I know easier said than done) and enjoy the experience. The people you meet on the interview day can very well be your future classmates :)

Looking forward to meeting most of you (we will be leading tours and discussion rooms)

Hi all!! I see that my wonderful classmates have been replying to the posts! Congrats to everyone and the p1 class is very excited to meet you all! Please message me if you have any concerns/problems. I will be more than happy to help anyone! And.. REMEMBER... you are almost there... from what I know of th admission process last year... an interview to UCSF is very promising as most people do indeed get accepted! So, calm down (I know easier said than done) and enjoy the experience. The people you meet on the interview day can very well be your future classmates :)

Looking forward to meeting most of you (we will be leading tours and discussion rooms)

Thanks Saran! Will you be there on Feb. 15th? I look forward to meeting P1's and faculty as well. See you all there!

What does UCSF look for at the interview? Why does one get accepted or rejected after the interview?

i'm a P1 too. unlike sara, i was unable to sign up for the discussion and tours to help you guys out. but i will be in the lobby to chat with you guys and hopefully provide you with any tips. i knew some P2s who did that when i interviewed and it helped a lot.

for the interview, UCSF wants to see "you" in particular. they saw your "paper resume, but now they want to see if you. they'll ask questions about your personal life, any possible pharmacy experience and elaborate upon that (remember, we have students in our class with zero pharmacy experience so it's not a must!!!), knowledge of current issues in pharmacy (medicare, challenges facing the field...), and so on. just be conversational and initiate some of the conversation--UCSF likes leaders ;)

ultimately, i know you guys will do great. if you get an interview, that means UCSF knows you're capable. remember, there are so many applicants for just 122 seats.

hopefully i'll see some of you there!!!

Hi Saran and hh :)

I'm so glad to hear everyone getting excited about their interviews. And 1700 apps/400 interviewees?!? Holy moly! I'm so thankful I applied last year, it seems like pharmacy is getting more competitive each day.

A few things about the interview - BE YOURSELF! Say what you mean and mean what you say. Be confident and sincere, prepare your answers and try to enjoy the experience! Remember, the school is trying to gauge whether or not you'll fit in here, so play up your strengths and passion for the profession. But most importantly, CALM DOWN. This interview will be the first of many stressful things you'll encounter in pharmacy school and UCSF wants to make sure you can handle it.

And if you're interviewing in the PM on 2/2 or 2/8, come say hi to me in the discussion room or on the tour, us P1's are excited to meet you! Good luck :luck:

Yay, it's so exciting that everyone has their interview dates :). I'm another P1 and we are all excited to meet you at your interviews!

I know that my classmates have said this again and again, but I cannot emphasize how important it is to be yourself. You will probably be very nervous, but this interview date isn't meant to rip you apart. Think of it as a day to let the school get to know you and for you to get to know us also! Not only would it be more enjoyable for you to have a nice conversation, but I'm sure your interviewers will enjoy it if you're easy to talk to. Oh, and don't forget to know the program and do some homework on pharmacy. Do you know about UCSF's pathways? If not, go look it up now! :)

If you're signed up for 1/25 or 2/2, then maybe I'll see you there. Good luck, and don't worry! :luck:

Thanks you guys! Any idea how long that route would take? I gave myself 3 hours to get from airport to ucsf

If there aren't any problems with the BART/Muni (and who can predict that), I would say it takes less than 1.5 hours to take the BART to downtown and then catch the N-Judah. It's probably about 1 hour actually. Check the schedule before just to make sure.

Hi Alls,

Interview dates are getting closer!

I just had a question for the current students/residents; I'm going to be staying at a hotel near market square on the Powell St. stop on the Bart (I looked it up on their website); if I take the bus/public transportation, how long will it take to get to the interview site? I just want to make sure I give myself enough time to get there a little bit early for the interview. Thanks for all your help!

I just wanted to say thanks to all the current students who are posting on here and giving some encouragement and tips.

This is obviously a nerve wracking, but extremely exciting interview!

Senzabee, I'll be one of those interviewing on the 2nd so perhaps I'll be seeing you there..

And now I'm off to spend the day snow-boarding and de-stress from work and thinking about interviews!! :thumbup:

Hi Alls,

Interview dates are getting closer!

I just had a question for the current students/residents; I'm going to be staying at a hotel near market square on the Powell St. stop on the Bart (I looked it up on their website); if I take the bus/public transportation, how long will it take to get to the interview site? I just want to make sure I give myself enough time to get there a little bit early for the interview. Thanks for all your help!

You have two options: you can take the N-Judah underground, and that usually takes 20 minutes from Powell once you actually get on the train. Just get off at the UCSF Parking Garage, then go inside the building then take the elevators up. There's actually two elevator banks, one where you walk in and you'll pass UCSF's MRI and CT facility that's off of Arguello, and another where you actually enter the garage that's off of 2nd Avenue. There should be signs that tell you where to go either way.

You can also take the 7-Parnassus, which is an above-ground bus, but it's less reliable and takes longer. It does stop right in front of Milberry Union where we'll be interviewing.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it lots. Good luck on your interviews everyone!

You have two options: you can take the N-Judah underground, and that usually takes 20 minutes from Powell once you actually get on the train. Just get off at the UCSF Parking Garage, then go inside the building then take the elevators up. There's actually two elevator banks, one where you walk in and you'll pass UCSF's MRI and CT facility that's off of Arguello, and another where you actually enter the garage that's off of 2nd Avenue. There should be signs that tell you where to go either way.

You can also take the 7-Parnassus, which is an above-ground bus, but it's less reliable and takes longer. It does stop right in front of Milberry Union where we'll be interviewing.

Sorry to keep correcting you, stkyrice :oops:, but the bus that goes in front of school is the 6-Parnassus. I'm not sure where it comes from, but the 6 indeed does stop in front of school.

ScienceNerd: take the N-Judah. You're right at Powell, which is a great place because you're right at the underground station! It takes about 20-minutes and usually comes every 8-10 minutes. Since it's a rail car, it doesn't get as backed up due to traffic. Just get off at the parking structure, cross the street, go up the parking structure elevator to the top, and walk up one more flight to the street level. You're right where the buses stop and across the street of the Med Science Lobby! Or if your interview is in the MU, then you're right there!

Greetings. To any student familiar with the UCSF building layout, is the Medical Sciences Building Nobel Wall Lobby at the address of 513 Parnassus? I just want to verify that the UCSF Parnassus Heights Campus is the area just north of the Millberry Union. Thank you for your feedback.

Greetings. To any student familiar with the UCSF building layout, is the Medical Sciences Building Nobel Wall Lobby at the address of 513 Parnassus? I just want to verify that the UCSF Parnassus Heights Campus is the area just north of the Millberry Union. Thank you for your feedback.

I was there for the Supplemental App Workshop in Sept and I believe the building is adjacent to the UCSF Medical Center I think. Right across from the Food Court/Bookstore.

Yeah, you can't miss the medsci building, it's the one with all the students coming in and out. It's south of (across the street from) the MU/next to the hospital and to get to the Nobel Wall, just walk straight into the lobby, towards the back. I'm sure you'll see everyone standing around and there is usually a table right on Nobel Wall.

i'll be the only one doing the campus tour on 2/7 from 7-7:30, holla at me :thumbup:

Ah I'm so excited next week is the interview! Thanks everyone for helping me out with the transportation/hotel advice, it REALLY saved me a lot of trouble doing heavy research! Good luck everyone!

hey guys!!!! interviews this week! im psychic! i hope they serve good food... yum.

Yeah dream on. We're a public school :p

I am interviewing at UCSF this Friday and I'm getting really nervous! :scared:
How's everyone preparing for the interview? Anyone nervous or is it just me :confused:

good luck with the interview everyone!

How's everyone preparing for the interview? Anyone nervous or is it just me :confused:

I'm nervous too and my interview is on Feb 15th! Just make sure you can back up whatever you wrote on the form B supplemental (biological information)...I heard that's where most of the questions come from.

GOOD LUCK!

i am nervous too! i will see you this friday!!! i just notice that it'll be raining while we are there. my biggest concern is flight delays... good luck!