UMN vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YeoNy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys.

I got accepted to both University of Minnesota and NYU dental schools this cycle and I am really happy about it!!! However, I am having hard time deciding between these two dental schools bc they were both my top priority schools. Since I am OOS for Minnesota, the annual cost will be very similar to NYU. I need some feedback!!!

UMN
Pros: Smaller class size, research opportunity, nice people (felt that professors really care about their students.) very relaxed city (maybe??)
Cons: Clinic?(seems like the student in UMN was not confident about her clinical skills.)

NYU
Pros: Huge patient pools and diversity, research opportunity, strong clinic program.
Cons: Large class size (maybe less individual attention from professors?), NYC??(I had good impression on NYC but Im from CA suburb. :p worry about living in big city like NYC.)

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose Minnesota. I find it very hard to believe that the costs are similar, even if you are oos for both schools. From what I've seen the tuition for oos students is 10 grand higher at NYU than Minnesota and we all know who takes the cake for higher living expenses.

Price wise I think umn is definitely cheaper.
When I interviewed at umn it seemed like the there were more than enough clinical opportunity.. The school was actually incentivizing students to see more patients by paying bonuses if they went over the quota (although I talked w the d4 student and he said bonuses were around 40 bucks avg if you tried to get some bonuses... not a real financial incentive)

Also the d4 that provided the tour seemed very confident in his skills. He said he will go to practice straight out of school and no advance education

Members don't see this ad :)
Fyi I'm also oos from California :) and umn is definitely cheaper if u think of living cost
Unless I get into UCSF or UCLA I'll probably go to umn

According to the U of MN Dental School clinic website they have over 100,000 visits to the clinic each year, with a class of 100/grade, 400 or so total, that's a large patient pool. Minneapolis cost of living is a fraction of what you would pay in NYC. Heck, you can buy a large house in the Minneapolis area compared to what you would pay for a studio apartment in NYC.

Thank you for the comments guys! Can anyone who goes UMN or NYU give me some advice?

NYU:

pros: clinically excellent. the clinical program here is probably one of the best in the country. not to mention aesthetics training, and a lot of opportunities for research; get to go to school in manhattan

cons: class size (could be a pro or con, depending on the kind of person you are); resources are available but you have to make an effort to seek them/seek help if you need it. your hand will not be held here. cost-if you don't have a scholarship of some sort or are footing 100% of the bill on loans then that might be a huge con. new york city is very expensive

i'm sure i probably forgot some stuff but if you have any questions, ask away

NYU:

pros: clinically excellent. the clinical program here is probably one of the best in the country. not to mention aesthetics training, and a lot of opportunities for research; get to go to school in manhattan

cons: class size (could be a pro or con, depending on the kind of person you are); resources are available but you have to make an effort to seek them/seek help if you need it. your hand will not be held here. cost-if you don't have a scholarship of some sort or are footing 100% of the bill on loans then that might be a huge con. new york city is very expensive

i'm sure i probably forgot some stuff but if you have any questions, ask away

Thank you for the post. toothdriller2k17!!

What is your stress level as a NYUCD student? I heard that curriculum is pretty tough compared to other schools, so students would not be able to have their social life till D3.

j

Last edited:
1. yes
2. depends really. i think it's doable if you manage your time, but 2nd year is very stressful. every school has a school year or time period that is infamous in terms of workload--at NYU it's 2nd year
3. not at all, but i'm from a city myself. if you're from rural midwest or something i could see it being kind of a culture shock
4. failing a class-well it depends on the class demographic really. you need at least a 70 to pass a course here. if you don't, not to worry..you can just remediate. you fail remediation, however, you repeat the year. for the most part everyone advances. people who don't usually drop out due to medical reasons
5. you can't generalize it-but i found myself pulling more all nighters if that means anything

Thank you for the post. toothdriller2k17!!

What is your stress level as a NYUCD student? I heard that curriculum is pretty tough compared to other schools, so students would not be able to have their social life till D3.

it's pretty average. at this point dealing with some patients is stressful. and yes the curriculum is tough here..they really try to stress the 'physician of the oral cavity' approach here.

your social life is what you make of it. if you wait to study until the last minute then you'll have a different social life than someone who is on top of lectures. if you try hard, you can do well here. if you just want to pass then it's not that bad

Hey Guys.

I got accepted to both University of Minnesota and NYU dental schools this cycle and I am really happy about it!!! However, I am having hard time deciding between these two dental schools bc they were both my top priority schools. Since I am OOS for Minnesota, the annual cost will be very similar to NYU. I need some feedback!!!

UMN
Pros: Smaller class size, research opportunity, nice people (felt that professors really care about their students.) very relaxed city (maybe??)
Cons: Clinic?(seems like the student in UMN was not confident about her clinical skills.)

NYU
Pros: Huge patient pools and diversity, research opportunity, strong clinic program.
Cons: Large class size (maybe less individual attention from professors?), NYC??(I had good impression on NYC but Im from CA suburb. :p worry about living in big city like NYC.)

Hello! Which school did you end up deciding on? I am currently torn between the two. Are you happy with your decision?