Undergrad PT Internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsw068

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First just wanted to say I'm new to this website so if i screw something up forgive me.
Second, I was recently offered an Internship under a DPT for sports rehab (one of the main fields im interested in). For a degree in exercise science we have an internship course the last semester senior year, I was wondering if I should wait until then to begin the internship through the school or if I should start the internship now on my own? Also, if I start on my own do i just log the hours my self? How do i provide the information to DPT programs? Would it be better to shadow now and then intern my last semester senior year? Thanks ahead of time, didn't really know anyone personally to ask so I figured I would come here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey nsw068,
I assume you're interested in applying to DPT programs after your undergrad? If so, starting an internship with a DPT now seems like a great option. Most schools recommend or require upwards of 100 hours of volunteer/observation with PTs in a variety of settings, so getting started sooner on observing is definitely a good idea. Most programs also require at least one recommendation from a PT who you have observed/volunteered/worked under, so starting to cultivate relationships with practicing PTs sooner rather than later is good for getting good references. Even if you aren't sure you want to do PT, getting experience in a PT setting is a great way to figure out whether or not you want to pursue this field.

Will the internship site let you intern if you are not yet receiving credit for the course? If it's a formal internship you might have to go through the school due to liability reasons. At my school the school and site had a contract that spelled out all of that stuff. My school paid for the liability insurance and I believe my site ended up paying for the worker's comp which was required in the state I performed my internship in.

With that being said I would try to get as much experience as possible before you apply. An internship is a great way to establish a relationship with PT's, which can pay off when it comes time to get references.